OU Gen. V Team (Please Be Nice, It's My First)

Alright, I've been playing Pokemon since R/B/Y, but have only recently gotten into competitive battling in any form. Here's a team I put together tonight that I'd love to get some opinions on. Please though, be nice, it is my first team after all! =)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Body Slam

Blissey acts as a SDef wall, but its main purpose is to get stealth rock on the field. Body slam + Serene Grace gives a way to dole out a (very) little damage and paralyze the opponent 60% of the time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance

My nastiest physical sweeper, with a Swords Dance or two, very hard to stop. Zen Headbutt covers that pesky fighting weakness. Considering putting a choice sash on it instead, but for now I've got the Focus Sash so it can get off a hit.

Dragonite (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Tail

A bulky physical attacker, Dragonite's most crucial role here is that of ejector. With Dragon Tail, it can force enemies into swapping into my hazards. Also, because it has fairly wide coverage between Earthquake, Ice Punch, and Dragon Tail, it's been given an Expert Belt (+20% on super-effective attacks).

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Starmie serves a few purposes: first and foremost, it has the painfully obvious rapid spin for clearing hazards. It also carries trick room in case I'm outmatched on the speed scale. Lastly, Scald gives it Fire/Ground/Rock coverage and the potential to burn (which is very helpful against physical teams).

Roserade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Roserade is my last support Pokemon, and a secondary SDef wall. Sleep powder can open up a few turns for Spikes/Toxic Spikes (or multiple layers of each), and Giga Drain helps keep it alive. It's holding a Focus Sash to help ensure it gets at least 1 layer of hazards out there.

Electivire (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Cross Chop
- Thunder Punch
- Thief
- Fire Punch

Last but not least is Electivire. Motor Drive is used for Electric negation on the team, and its moveset covers other weaknesses as well. If its Lum Berry gets used, it can use Thief to steal away a foe's held item (and Thief also provides some Psychic/Ghost coverage).

Alrighty, there you have it. Please rate out of 10, and provide any thoughts/comments that come to mind. Thanks!

First of all, many of the items confuse me. Having a choice scarf on starmie, with lowered speed and trick room is not a great match. Also, having a sash on your sweeper is not a great idea in my opinion, because stealth rocks are pretty much guaranteed to be on the field at that point, so the item would become useless. I also think you would benefit from a scarfer or a set up sweeper.

First of all, many of the items confuse me. Having a choice scarf on starmie, with lowered speed and trick room is not a great match. Also, having a sash on your sweeper is not a great idea in my opinion, because stealth rocks are pretty much guaranteed to be on the field at that point, so the item would become useless. I also think you would benefit from a scarfer or a set up sweeper.
I agree on Starmie. I think the choice scarf needs to go (thinking behind it was that it would be able to take advantage of its Analytic ability if it has high speed (therefore going last during trick room), but the more I think about it, the less I like it.

What would you recommend for a hold item for Terrakion? Life Orb maybe?

I agree on Starmie. I think the choice scarf needs to go (thinking behind it was that it would be able to take advantage of its Analytic ability if it has high speed (therefore going last during trick room), but the more I think about it, the less I like it.

What would you recommend for a hold item for Terrakion? Life Orb maybe?
well I think you could use a scarfed set with x scissor instead of swords dance, and with starmie, if you use a life orb and replace trick room for thunderbolt, you can outspeed pretty much all non scarfed mons and still deal large amounts of damage without having to take a hit. Also, surf could replace scald for the boosted power.

Hi welsknight, looking over your team I found a few flaws that shouldn't go unnoticed.

First of all, Starmie doesn't need low speed to use analytic. Since analytic activates on switch ins, and your Starmie knows Rapid Spin, you'll probably be using it to switch in to get off those nasty hazards, at the same time this will activate analytic. The set serves no purpose as Cloyster Chowder said. Trick Room with a Scarf and 0 Speed IVs really confused me. For your Starmie's role I would go with something like this:

Starmie @ Life Orb | Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature | 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 SpD
Rapid Spin | Ice Beam | Surf | Thunderbolt (or) Psyshock

For your Blissey I would give it Natural Cure rather than Serene Grace, status moves are commonly used in OU as well as on Blissey, and this makes up for your Starmie not having Natural Cure, and since you don't have Aromatherapy in Blissey's moveset. I would give it 4 EVs in Special Attack rather than speed, and change Body Slam to Flamethrower or if you want power, Fire Blast. Also, an optional change to the set would be to change Protect to Aromatherapy for extra support, but that's completely up to you because either move would do well in that slot.

Finally, just don't use Electivire in OU. I would change it to Infernape, just because it would do better in its spot.
My recommended set would be:

Infernape @ Choice Band | Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Mach Punch | Flare Blitz | Close Combat | Thunderpunch

If you want more power, then you can give it an Adamant Nature, which would also work well with the set.

That's all from me for now. If I notice anything else that I would like to add I'll request changes.
Good luck with the team and any future team builds, and I hope this helps.

This team has some seriously confusing and weird sets..Firstly, Wish over Softboiled. In unison with protect, you can still stall, but you can also pass wishes to your team members. Toxic over Stealth Rocks, and Seismic Toss over Body Slam. On Terrakion, Run Stealth Rocks or X-Scissor over Zen Headbutt. This allows you to either A) Get up rocks without stupid blissey, or B) Hit Psychics types such as Celebi. Dragonite should NOT have Expert Belt. On the set you are running, run a Choice Band for the love of god. Outrage over Dragon Tail, Fire Punch over Ice Punch to hit Ferrothorn and Forretress on the switch. On top of that, why do you not have MULTISCALE on dragonite. That isn't even funny. Stupidest starmie in the planet. Choice scarf on a trick roomer. No. That isnt right. Do you want to lock yourself into trick room, and then be useless after? That's..Weird. Instead, run a life orb or leftovers, in unison with Rapid Spin, Ice Beam, Surf/Hydro Pump, and Thunderbolt. I suggest switching your Roserade to a Celebi, as roserade doesn't seem to fit on a team like yours..I also don't think Electivire is worth running. I suggest a Rotom Wash, in order to have a way to counter Rain Teams Nicely.

Your Team After Changes:
Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock / X-Scissor

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 220 Spd / 56 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Concerning Blissey, I agree that Wish is a better option than Softboiled,Cleric should replace Serene Grace, and Body Slam should be replaced with something else. Seismic toss is not a bad idea.

I also like Cloyster Chowder's ideas for Starmie.

As for Dragonite, I'd like too keep Dragon Tail so i have something to force switches, but Multiscale should definitely be changed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)