Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I know this is a weird question, but does Mega Metagross miss out on any KOs with Grass Knot if its Special Attack IV is 1?
Bumping. Also, Is the +Atk -SpDef nature good for an Agility set or are those sets better off not using Grass Knot?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bumping. Also, Is the +Atk -SpDef nature good for an Agility set or are those sets better off not using Grass Knot?
Grass knot really isn't that great on mega metagross, as it only targets Slowbro which can be handled by teammates. It's better to have 4 physical moves. But if you do go with grass knot, having a 1 IV in SpA probably won't make a huge difference.
Also, agility sets should use an adamant nature.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Grass knot really isn't that great on mega metagross, as it only targets Slowbro which can be handled by teammates. It's better to have 4 physical moves. But if you do go with grass knot, having a 1 IV in SpA probably won't make a huge difference.
Also, agility sets should use an adamant nature.
I had low standards with the event beldum due to not having 3 perfect IVs, so I took the Naughty Nature one. Other than the nature and the 1 in Special Attack, it's way better than I expected.

So I've been SRing for a decent Diancie in XY. Then it hit me - if Diancie can't breed, why doesn't it get 3 free IVs? Celebi did.

So I've been SRing for a decent Diancie in XY. Then it hit me - if Diancie can't breed, why doesn't it get 3 free IVs? Celebi did.
I didn't have any issues soft resetting and getting a 3 IV Diancie, sometimes 4. Honestly, I think it might be dependent on what option you pick when the two ask for you to give them Diancie. I always agreed to give them Diancie *you don't* and always got at least 3 IVs. My SO didn't, and didn't get any perfect IVs on hers.

Reminder: the same people that created this are the same people behind Mega Rayquaza not needing a mega stone.
Interestingly, the Diance in her anime movie similarly didn't need a megastone to mega-evolve. Then again this is the same anime that gave us "Aim for the Horn" and "Thunder Armor" (though I's actually like to see that in the games in a more justifiable form) so I'd chalk it up to coincidence

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd hardly call Grass Knot bad on MMetagross, it also hits Hippowdon and Suicune who are very often people's fist switchins to it and acts as a great lure to bulky Waters in general.(also hits Gyara for damage regardless of mega though it deals to little damage to really matter that much, and Gyara can just DD and smack you with Crunch regardless) However, if you have 1 SpA IV, you'll need a lot of SpA investement to get the guaranteed 2HKO on Slowbro after Stealth Rocks:

0 SpA Tough Claws Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 168-198 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
92 SpA Tough Claws Metagross Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

which is probably not worth it.

Last edited:

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From what I can tell stall's main answer to Gengar is Tentacruel. SpD Gliscor, SpD Hippowdon, Ice Beam Blissey and SpD Mega-Sableye all beat it even with rocks up

Is SpD Mega Sableye viable? That's what I've been using but I've felt like it's kinda a shit set.

Maybe I'll see if I can fit Tentacruel or Hippo in there somewhere...

Albacore

SpD Sableye is vastly inferior to the physically defensive set for the mot part, but it does have the niche of walling Offensive Heatran, Gengar, Latios and non-Nasty Plot Thundurus and so it's not completely unviable.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This is probably the wrong place for this and if so sorry.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much or at least in the ball park of how much tickets cost for the world championships. Not to play just to go and hang out and have fun. Thank you for your time.
Try asking in the VGC SQSA thread instead. This forum is for smogon 6v6 singles which isn't relevant to worlds.

Diancie should have 3 guaranteed IVs, but some of the codes were glitched and do not have any guaranteed IVs unfortunately

I'm new to this whole thing, but I'd kind of like to make an educated guess at creating a team. In most games I approach this by creating a win condition, then a way to get to my win condition, then support for the win condition and hate for the metagame. In this process I've come across a question google doesn't seem to want to answer, and that is: "What are the most common leads in the current X/Y OU metagame?"

Google is giving me a lot of outdated answers and not really anything useful other than a unanimous "Talonflame".

I'm new to this whole thing, but I'd kind of like to make an educated guess at creating a team. In most games I approach this by creating a win condition, then a way to get to my win condition, then support for the win condition and hate for the metagame. In this process I've come across a question google doesn't seem to want to answer, and that is: "What are the most common leads in the current X/Y OU metagame?"

Google is giving me a lot of outdated answers and not really anything useful other than a unanimous "Talonflame".
Landorus-T is a very common lead. It's got good typing combined with Intimidate, Stealth Rock and U-turn, making it great as a lead pokemon.
Prankster users, Thundurus and Klefki are often used as leads. Thundurus with fast Taunt and Thunder Wave to shut down opposing leads and Klefki to set up screens and/or spikes and Thunder Wave.
Heatran's another one, catches steel leads like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and forces a switch, and can set up Rocks itself.

This is a simple list off the top of my head, I'm sure another member can provide a better list than I.

Do we have the exact definitions of "winning condition" and "opportunity cost"?
"Win condition" = basically, a strategy to win the game. For example, Dragon Dance Charizard-X is a win condition because it can plow through entire teams once its checks are removed.

"Opportunity cost" = the cost of using something at the expense of not using something else. You see this with Mega Stones; Mega-Audino isn't a bad mon, but it sees low usage because using it comes at the opportunity cost of NOT using every other Mega.

Hope that explained it fairly well.

Say my opponent's scarf Terrakion has 13% HP left, does that mean anywhere between 12% and 14%, does that mean more than 13%, does that mean something else ?

I'm watching a replay and I'm trying to figure out whether said Terrakion has only one switch left into Stealth Rock, or two...

Is there any way I can guess ? If not, are those (one switch left or two switches left) both equally likely ?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Say my opponent's scarf Terrakion has 13% HP left, does that mean anywhere between 12% and 14%, does that mean more than 13%, does that mean something else ?

I'm watching a replay and I'm trying to figure out whether said Terrakion has only one switch left into Stealth Rock, or two...

Is there any way I can guess ? If not, are those (one switch left or two switches left) both equally likely ?
You can hover over Terrakion's sprite to see the percentage to the tenths place. I don't know the specifics of your situation, but you should be able to just hover over, and if you have 12.6% or more, you have two more switch ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)