Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Thanks for the in-depth response Martin. and thanks ksr15 for reminding me of Ubers, I play offensive in every game so that should work out for me.

In OU, what are good teammates for Scarf Excadrill? What good strategys/wincons does it support? There's talk of it being unprepared for and it used to be one of my fav sets

Thanks for the in-depth response Martin. and thanks ksr15 for reminding me of Ubers, I play offensive in every game so that should work out for me.

In OU, what are good teammates for Scarf Excadrill? What good strategys/wincons does it support? There's talk of it being unprepared for and it used to be one of my fav sets
Keep calm and spam xtra shine's HO team of Azelf, Scarf Drill, Band Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Weakness Policy Dragonite and Wacan Berry Manaphy.

Guys I just started getting into competitive...I was interested in the ou format. The thing is whats more played? Singles or doubles? I mesn the teams people post on here for a rate are they meant to be played in singles or doubles? Thanks in advance :)

what's a good mon that helps with a weakness to zone, glisc, and sharp?
Band ttar hurts all of on the switch it, for 3 in one poke maybe Quagsire but its very passive and glisc can kinda stall it out. Taunt tran might help some but gets warn down easy. Volcanon helps but zone and glisc hit it pretty hard.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys I just started getting into competitive...I was interested in the ou format. The thing is whats more played? Singles or doubles? I mesn the teams people post on here for a rate are they meant to be played in singles or doubles? Thanks in advance :)
OU is a singles format. If you see someone post a team with the tag Doubles OU, then it's for Doubles. They also have their own subforum under the "Competitive Discussion" section of the website if you want to play Doubles.

OU is a singles format. If you see someone post a team with the tag Doubles OU, then it's for Doubles. They also have their own subforum under the "Competitive Discussion" section of the website if you want to play Doubles.
Thanks for the reply :) so is the single format the most common in ou?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the reply :) so is the single format the most common in ou?
Yes singles is a far more common format. BUt when people say "OU" they are almost always referring to singles. people will almost always specify "doubles OU" when they're talking about Doubles. They are also two different metagames with their own rules and ban lists. An example is Darkrai is allowed in Doubles OU, but banned in OU.

Yes singles is a far more common format. BUt when people say "OU" they are almost always referring to singles. people will almost always specify "doubles OU" when they're talking about Doubles. They are also two different metagames with their own rules and ban lists. An example is Darkrai is allowed in Doubles OU, but banned in OU.
Awesome u were clear and detailed :) thanks a lot

I'd like to use these mons on a team, but they never seem to fit. What are some good allies for:
• Talonflame
• Gengar
• Breloom
• LO Torn-T

Also, I would like to use Manaphy, but it seems like a bad idea, as while it can somewhat contribute vs. the Stall (it's no guarantee, as AV Tangrowth can check Manaphy; additionally, 3 coverage moves means Chansey stands in Manaphy's way, and 2 coverage moves makes it easier to wall), it falters vs. teams that use more offensive attackers. Is it still worthwhile to use Manaphy?

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to use these mons on a team, but they never seem to fit. What are some good allies for:
• Talonflame
• Gengar
• Breloom
• LO Torn-T

Also, I would like to use Manaphy, but it seems like a bad idea, as while it can somewhat contribute vs. the Stall (it's no guarantee, as AV Tangrowth can check Manaphy; additionally, 3 coverage moves means Chansey stands in Manaphy's way, and 2 coverage moves makes it easier to wall), it falters vs. teams that use more offensive attackers. Is it still worthwhile to use Manaphy?
Try Bisharp and/or Weavile. They are p. natural partners for just about all of those 'mons. Also Lando-T is nice, as are MLop and Latios.

Manaphy is good, although it is really dependent on the needs of your team whether you run it. While in theory it can have a hard time vs. elements of stall, in practice stall just has a headache vs. it and where it's coverage is lacking it has the things it misses out on hitting covered by teammates, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that detail.

Try Bisharp and/or Weavile. They are p. natural partners for just about all of those 'mons. Also Lando-T is nice, as are MLop and Latios.

Manaphy is good, although it is really dependent on the needs of your team whether you run it. While in theory it can have a hard time vs. elements of stall, in practice stall just has a headache vs. it and where it's coverage is lacking it has the things it misses out on hitting covered by teammates, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that detail.
I was worried about Manaphy's matchup vs. faster teams, and that's mainly why I asked if it was worthwhile to use, because if it's bad vs. faster teams, then I need to be sure my 5 remaining allies can do the job, which is fairly difficult. That's kinda what was on my mind

Last edited:

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was worried about Manaphy's matchup vs. faster teams, and that's mainly why I asked if it was worthwhile to use, because if it's bad vs. faster teams, then I need to be sure my 5 remaining allies can do the job, which is fairly difficult. That's kinda what was on my mind.
If your team struggles vs. faster teams then don't use Manaphy. Keldeo is usually better vs. these types of teams.

Last question: I was wondering what Gliscor could accomplish besides Stallbreaking, considering that role compression is fairly important in this metagame. (Even then, it can't 6-0 Stall.)

Also, which set is better, the SD set, or the Taunt + Toxic set?

Martin

Last question: I was wondering what Gliscor could accomplish besides Stallbreaking, considering that role compression is fairly important in this metagame. (Even then, it can't 6-0 Stall.)

Also, which set is better, the SD set, or the Taunt + Toxic set?
Gliscor is just generally nice for it's ability to wall certain 'mons while stallbreaking between it's psuedo-immunity to status and it's high physical bulk (as well as usually close-to-fully-invested special bulk). It's fast for a wall too and it's a nice KOff absorber once it's orb has activated, so yeah that's another thing.

The set which is better is kinda dependent on the needs of the team, and they both win and lose certain matchups to the point where they are about as good as one another. I'd personally say SD probably slightly edges out Taunt, but I've not used Gliscor in a very long time so idk if this is the case now and I'm not even sure if it was technically better at the time when I used it.

Shuckle is one of my favorite pokemon, so I want to build a team around him. What pokemon make good teammates? The shuckle I want to run has sticky web, stealth rock, toxic, knock off holding leftovers.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
What are some good Mega Heracross cores?
Mega Heracross + Jirachi is one ive had fun with in the past and probably my favorite one. Jirachi checks many of the pokemon that commonly come in to revenge kill Heracross while also providing u-turn support to bring hera in safely and luring in dark-types hera can take advantage of. There are a number of other solid ones you can find here in the good cores thread so make sure to check that out too.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shuckle is one of my favorite pokemon, so I want to build a team around him. What pokemon make good teammates? The shuckle I want to run has sticky web, stealth rock, toxic, knock off holding leftovers.
Hello and welcome to Smogon!

Shuckle is good because of its almost exclusive access to Sticky Web, and its ability to come back later in the game, while Galvantula (another web setter) is usually brought down to its Sash on the first turn because of its frailty.

Sticky Web teams usually use Pokémon that are very powerful, but are slower than some opponents. A good example of this is Bisharp-- not only does it threaten many opponents with its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance, but it can discourage people Defogging away your Sticky Webs due to its ability.

Of course, you'll need a check to Flying-type and Levitating Pokémon, as they aren't affected by Sticky Web. Mega Diancie sounds like a good fit here, as it can easily beat the likes of Lati@s, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Tornadus-T (although Landorus-T could still be a problem).

From there, you have a lot of options, like Breloom (which I highly recommend to beat opposing Bisharp, which get a +2 boost due to Sticky Web), Starmie (takes out opposing hazards), and your own Ghost-type to block opposing Rapid Spins. (Beware: Gengar is very bad at this). Be sure to throw in something that can reliably check Landorus-T, like maybe a Life Orb HP Fire + Roost + Ice Beam + Dragon Claw/Pulse Kyurem-B, which can beat Scizor as well.

A fun Pokémon to use on Sticky Web teams is Choice Band Tyrantrum. Click Head Smash and literally nothing can switch in. It also greatly improves this team's Stall matchup.

I'd recommend changing your Shuckle set up a bit. Toxic isn't very good in OU because the few Pokémon that mind it usually have a Chansey backing them up. Try this set instead:

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Rest
-Knock Off
This set allows Shuckle to return to the field and set up more webs, even if the opponent has their own Stealth Rocks up.

At this point, a sample team might consist of Shuckle/Mega Diancie/Breloom/Tyrantrum/Kyurem-B/Bisharp. Obviously, this team probably won't be very good because I just made it up, but hopefully it should be a good starting point. Good luck!

Shuckle is only worth running on a team dedicated to making use of Sticky Web. With that in mind teammates should be heavy hitters that aren't terribly fast and appreciate your opponent's Pokemon being slowed down. Things to think about might be M-Medicham, M-Heracross, Volcanion, Dragonite, and Kyurem-B.

Another type of teammate you'll want is something to keep Sticky Web up for your heavy hitters. Bisharp is great because Defiant discourages the use of Defog. You can use a Ghost type to block Rapid Spin, but bear in mind neither Gengar nor M-Sableye, the two relevant Ghosts in OU, really fit well on a Sticky Web offense team (at least in my opinion), so you might have to get creative or forgo spinblocking.

Finally, Encore is basically mandatory on Shuckle and should be used over Knock Off. Without Encore, anything can set up boosts on Shuckle. Even with Toxic things like Mega Scizor and CM Clefable will have an easy time setting up.

Y'know that sub + DD + fly dragonite that's been running around? I wanna build one of those. Does anyone know the specific nature and EVs the cool kids use? Thanks in advance.

Martin

Hello and welcome to Smogon!

Shuckle is good because of its almost exclusive access to Sticky Web, and its ability to come back later in the game, while Galvantula (another web setter) is usually brought down to its Sash on the first turn because of its frailty.

Sticky Web teams usually use Pokémon that are very powerful, but are slower than some opponents. A good example of this is Bisharp-- not only does it threaten many opponents with its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance, but it can discourage people Defogging away your Sticky Webs due to its ability.

Of course, you'll need a check to Flying-type and Levitating Pokémon, as they aren't affected by Sticky Web. Mega Diancie sounds like a good fit here, as it can easily beat the likes of Lati@s, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Tornadus-T (although Landorus-T could still be a problem).

From there, you have a lot of options, like Breloom (which I highly recommend to beat opposing Bisharp, which get a +2 boost due to Sticky Web), Starmie (takes out opposing hazards), and your own Ghost-type to block opposing Rapid Spins. (Beware: Gengar is very bad at this). Be sure to throw in something that can reliably check Landorus-T, like maybe a Life Orb HP Fire + Roost + Ice Beam + Dragon Claw/Pulse Kyurem-B, which can beat Scizor as well.

A fun Pokémon to use on Sticky Web teams is Choice Band Tyrantrum. Click Head Smash and literally nothing can switch in. It also greatly improves this team's Stall matchup.

I'd recommend changing your Shuckle set up a bit. Toxic isn't very good in OU because the few Pokémon that mind it usually have a Chansey backing them up. Try this set instead:

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Sticky Web
-Stealth Rock
-Rest
-Knock Off
This set allows Shuckle to return to the field and set up more webs, even if the opponent has their own Stealth Rocks up.

At this point, a sample team might consist of Shuckle/Mega Diancie/Breloom/Tyrantrum/Kyurem-B/Bisharp. Obviously, this team probably won't be very good because I just made it up, but hopefully it should be a good starting point. Good luck!
Shuckle is kinda eh in general 'cause webs are a kinda iffy strat, but if you run Shuckle please don't use this set. You're better off running Mental Herb and Encore so that you're not complete bait, and the investment doesn't matter much but I normally run enough speed for Slowbro to stop it CMing in my face.

Encore is important because otherwise things just use you for free setup, and there are a lot of Pokémon who you really can't afford to be doing that with for reasons that I shouldn't meed to explain.

Hi to everyone!My question is somewhat simple and difficult at the same time.While I was reading the Mega Venusaur Analysis,I read in the section "Other Options" this:"A Swords Dance set with Power Whip and one of Knock Off or Earthquake can turn Mega Venusaur into a devastating lure and a bulky setup sweeper.
This really enjoyed me,since I really like to make new experiments on the ladder,so my question is this:how can I make this set work?What nature,what Evs,what teammates?
Thank you :)

Hi to everyone!My question is somewhat simple and difficult at the same time.While I was reading the Mega Venusaur Analysis,I read in the section "Other Options" this:"A Swords Dance set with Power Whip and one of Knock Off or Earthquake can turn Mega Venusaur into a devastating lure and a bulky setup sweeper.
This really enjoyed me,since I really like to make new experiments on the ladder,so my question is this:how can I make this set work?What nature,what Evs,what teammates?
Thank you :)
I'd just avoid that all together, not really sure why it's mentioned. Knock Off on the standard offensive tank set with Giga / Sludge Bomb / Synthesis is pretty cool tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)