Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do I can get better in playing OU ?
The highest ELO I peeked was 1600. But my GXE was bad ( it was at 68 % ). I wanted to ask how People can have a ELO of like 1700+ with 80 % GXE ?

I am so desperate at getting better but I do not see any progress on myself.
First of all, if you really want to be a serious OU player, then change "UU Player" in your signature to "OU Player". How far do you think you're going to get in OU if you endorse yourself as a UU Player?
Secondly, use a Landorus-T. Those are good.
Third, make sure all of your Pokémon are holding items. If they are, it'll give you a big advantage!
Finally, I'd recommend winning more games than you lose. If you do this, then you should be a pretty good player!

Haha, seriously though, I'd recommend the following:
  • Being a good Pokémon player means having both good teambuilding skills and good plays. Read the Teambuilding Guide if you haven't already.
  • Watch replays of high level players, and look at the plays they make. A good place to check out is the OUPL II Replays thread. Try taking a look at their teams as well. Figuring out why they used the Pokémon they did is a good way to make you a better player.
  • Get your team rated here! The RMT subforum is helpful because it lets other people look at your team, and in teambuilding, two heads are better than one. By using the knowledge you already have, you can also help out less skilled players.
Anyway, I hope these tips were useful. Good luck on your OU endeavor!

Ok, I'm sorry if im just flat out horrible at where to post stuff, but.... well, sorry if this is wrong place.

So, anyways, I just recently started out as an OU player. I thought ev training and iv breeding, plus natures were enough. After all, before that I just played with disregard for everything. Now that I started, truth slapped me in the face. I had assembled my team when I found out about complex strats. Uh oh. I thought this would be the end of my many hours of breeding and training. Pokemon:

Garchomp, HA, Jolly, Garchompite with Dclaw, Sdance, Equake, and Stone Edge. (252 speed, 252 attack, 4 hp)
Goodra, sap sipper, modest, Assualt vest with Dpulse, Fthrower, Tbolt, and Sludge Wave (252 hp, 252 sp atk, 4 Spd)
Jolteon, Volt Absorb, Modest, Life orb with Tbolt, Vswitch, Sball, and Hyper Beam (252 spatk, 252 speed, 4 hp)
Skarmory, Sturdy, Impish, (Item pending) with Spikes, Bbrid, Roost, and Whirlwind (252 hp, 200 def, 56 SpD)
Breloom, Technican, Jolly, (Item pending) with Spore, Swords Dance, Mach Punch, and Bseed. (252 speed, 252 atk, 4 hp)
Starmie, Anayltic, Timid, (Item pending) with Rspin, Tbolt, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump (252 speed, 252 sp atk, 4 hp)

Garchomp: Wall Breaker/Sweeper
Goodra: SpD tank/attacker
Jolteon: Sweeper
Skarmory: Phyisical Tank/Spikes
Breloom: Finishing off pokemon
Starmie: Sweeper

Did I do anything wrong? Can I improve? I need help D:

Ok, I'm sorry if im just flat out horrible at where to post stuff, but.... well, sorry if this is wrong place.

So, anyways, I just recently started out as an OU player. I thought ev training and iv breeding, plus natures were enough. After all, before that I just played with disregard for everything. Now that I started, truth slapped me in the face. I had assembled my team when I found out about complex strats. Uh oh. I thought this would be the end of my many hours of breeding and training. Pokemon:

Garchomp, HA, Jolly, Garchompite with Dclaw, Sdance, Equake, and Stone Edge. (252 speed, 252 attack, 4 hp)
Goodra, sap sipper, modest, Assualt vest with Dpulse, Fthrower, Tbolt, and Sludge Wave (252 hp, 252 sp atk, 4 Spd)
Jolteon, Volt Absorb, Modest, Life orb with Tbolt, Vswitch, Sball, and Hyper Beam (252 spatk, 252 speed, 4 hp)
Skarmory, Sturdy, Impish, (Item pending) with Spikes, Bbrid, Roost, and Whirlwind (252 hp, 200 def, 56 SpD)
Breloom, Technican, Jolly, (Item pending) with Spore, Swords Dance, Mach Punch, and Bseed. (252 speed, 252 atk, 4 hp)
Starmie, Anayltic, Timid, (Item pending) with Rspin, Tbolt, Ice Beam, and Hydro Pump (252 speed, 252 sp atk, 4 hp)

Garchomp: Wall Breaker/Sweeper
Goodra: SpD tank/attacker
Jolteon: Sweeper
Skarmory: Phyisical Tank/Spikes
Breloom: Finishing off pokemon
Starmie: Sweeper

Did I do anything wrong? Can I improve? I need help D:
Im not that great but one thing i can point out is in OU jolteon is pretty out classed by Raikou ,m-mane, zapdos, Thundurus and/or rotom-wash. Jolts speed is pretty cool but otherwise it just doesn't put in as much work as the others whether its dmg out put or utility. If you want fast hitting use rai or thundy sence you have m-chomp. If you want untilya ise thundy, zapdos or wash.

At the least hyper beam should be droped for something like hp ice/fire/fighting, signal beam. Hyper beam is too much of a opportunity cost without it having stab from it.[tbot is 135 power after stab and no recharge]

Last edited:
Im not that great but one thing i can point out is in OU jolteon is pretty out classed by Raikou ,m-mane, zapdos, Thundurus and/or rotom-wash. Jolts speed is pretty cool but otherwise it just doesn't put in as much work as the others whether its dmg out put or utility. If you want fast hitting use rai or thundy sence you have m-chomp. If you want untilya ise thundy, zapdos or wash.

At the least hyper beam should be droped for something like hp ice/fire/fighting, signal beam. Hyper beam is too much of a opportunity cost without it having stab from it.[tbot is 135 power after stab and no recharge]
Yeah, I am actually switching that out with either Rotom Wash/Magnezone (testing in showdown atm). I had always thought it was OU xD XD

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Could SD Cobalion work in the current meta? I know its heavily populated with stuff that can rkill it but I have been speculating a Magnet Rise + Chople Berry set could possibly work as it allows take a hit from Keldeo, Breloom, and Tornadus-T (sometimes) and kill it while also setting up on Landorus-T and Excadrill.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could SD Cobalion work in the current meta? I know its heavily populated with stuff that can rkill it but I have been speculating a Magnet Rise + Chople Berry set could possibly work as it allows take a hit from Keldeo, Breloom, and Tornadus-T (sometimes) and kill it while also setting up on Landorus-T and Excadrill.
Yeah, SD's fine. Cobalion is ridiculously versatile with regards to what it can do well, and I personally think that the VR heavily underrates it. For reference, the sets that I think are worth it atm are SubCM, SubSD, SubToxic and pivot.

Skarmy (Skarmory) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Gooey (Goodra) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Chompy (Garchomp-Mega) @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Loomy (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Starmy (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Washy (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Signal Beam

Aha! I finished my team! (Kinda. Subject to change.)

1) Does Pain Split bypass Substitute?

2) p2 mentioned that Suicune's best set doesn't run Rest in the VR thread. What is it running then? I thought it was used for the CM+Roar set?

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.
1) Does Pain Split bypass Substitute?

2) p2 mentioned that Suicune's best set doesn't run Rest in the VR thread. What is it running then? I thought it was used for the CM+Roar set?
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 40 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

vinc2612 posted this in the post wcop set dump and this set is fucking amazing hnnnnnnnnnng

what is a good answer/check for mega charizard y? Also, is it possible to counter it, or is it just too powerful?
getting stealth rocks up is definitely the best way to limit mega zard y's potential. Other than that, if you want to wall it chansey/blissey will work. Failing that, just sacrifice something that you don't need, then nail it with a powerful faster pokemon like lopunny or something.

what is a good answer/check for mega charizard y? Also, is it possible to counter it, or is it just too powerful?
Generally people switch in the lati twins on them since they can usually eat a hit and roost or attack. But the best way to limit it is what what already said by Keeping up rocks. Zard y likes to try and come in on things like ferrothorn and do a lot of damage so a good way to play around it is to double on the predicted switch and get momentum.

Lati@s do a pretty okay job checking it. And theres a bunch of scarfers that rk it pretty okay because even timid is only 328 spe. Tran can come in on stabs and then double out to a fighting resist. Ttar messes with it too.

Is Focus Blast ok over Superpower on Tornadus-T? I'm not crazy about Superpower but the accuracy is a turnoff.
It's definitely an option, but Superpower is a lot more reliable than focus blast. Focus blast does hit a few things harder, like ferrothorn, terrakion (superpower is a 2hko without rocks, and with rocks, 25% chance to OHKO), and Magnezone (Superpower 2HKOs even with rocks, Focus blast OHKOs with rocks).

However, it's more of a consistency issue, as focus blast is largely unreliable. The reliability of superpower is more useful then the power focus blast offers. Focus blast definitely is an option though if you want more power, and want to catch opponents by surprise.
Also worth noting is that superpower hits special defense heatran harder, as well as bulky excadrill harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)