ORAS OU ORAS OU Experiment: Patterns, Trends and Flipping the Meta on its Head

What is the best way to solve your computer problem?

• C) Call Resistance Tech Support

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ORAS OU Experiment: Patterns, Trends and Flipping the Meta on its Head

Good Day everyone. As the title of this piece suggests, we are here today making a valiant attempt at trying to combat the metagame as it is presently constituted. However, in order to do this we need to first establish some baselines. The easiest way to do this is to look at the OU Viability Rankings or “Power Rankings.” Even with the banning of Landorus-I, the S-tier is probably the most crowded that we’ve seen it in quite some time and is the most obvious place to start. Currently we have 1 Fairy with extremely high versatility, a Beasty Dragon/Fire Wrecker, a Poofy Fairy/Dragon with some insane Bulk with welcomed resistances and immunities and a super computer that is the friggin’ poster child of ORAS OU. What makes these mons, imo, extremely difficult to cope with is, not only, their collective stats, though it certainly helps, but the fact that all of them aren’t tied down to one particular set.

Altaria can go Physical or Special Sweeper thanks to Pixilate, a wide move pool and the ability to add bulk anywhere the Team Builder (TB) deems necessary. Clefable can either be a set-up sweeper immune to residual damage, a defensive wall on either side of the spectrum able to ignore boosts from the opponent to being a team’s Stealth Rock user. CharX and MegaGross are both amazing physical cleaners; though CharX can run a Bulky WoW Set, that absolutely have to be prepared for during Team construction. This is an absolute; not a suggestion that can simply be taken under advisement.

Therefore, with these 4 in mind, the one thing that is most obvious is that, at most, only 2 of the 4 can be on a team as 3 of the 4 take a Mega Slot and, though rare, teams running a double barrel Mega would consider other options as Metagross, Altaria and Charizard without the ability to Mega is an underwhelming proposition at best. Since these parameters have been laid out, I felt it prudent to include a couple of more viable threats that definitely need to be considered; Mega Sableye, Keldeo and Talonflame (and by default, Flying type physical powerhouses like Mega Pinsir and, though not seen too often anymore, Staraptor).

Mega Sableye, iirc, was S-Rank at one point and even to this day, needs to be prepared for; otherwise, impending death is all that will be waiting. Keldeo is self-explanatory, as he is one of the premier Wall breakers / Set-Up sweepers that game has to offer, especially since Landorus-I is gone, the special attacker non-mega title (or number 1-contender) most assuredly goes to Keldeo. Finally, Talonflame is one of the premier non-mega Revenge Killers, Wall breakers and Set-Up Sweepers in the game from the physical side, competing with probably Landorus-T for 1A and 1B.

Some may say that this may be more like conjecture than analysis and those people are entitled to their opinion. However, I am simply laying down the groundwork for my thought process on how I view the Meta and how best to counteract it. So without further ado; here are my Team Building Process and Summary:

One of the few mons who I felt can be an answer to A LOT of problems that of already prefaced; especially with the correct moves.

Kinda weird that another legendary dog would fill so many needs… but Suicune does exactly that.

Needed some versatile mons who can provide hazards and control hazards… so first up was Clefable.

After that, Tentacruel was given a shot, especially with what feels like, imo, an uptick in Toxic Spikes usage.

Needed a bonafide revenge killer who can also act as a pivot… thus, Landog was called in.

What’s a team without the Main Event??? Mega Diancie hits like a damn truck and is so elegant to boot.
Team Building Process

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge

Role: All-Out Attacker

Entei was selected thanks to his ability to thrash a lot of the established baseline. The set is pretty standard with the exception of Iron Head but has its merits as follows:

- He can RK MegaMetagross since he can eat any unboosted Atk from him and retaliate with Sacred Fire for the OHKO

- He can also net a 2HKO against all versions of Clefable with Iron Head.

- Iron Head also has a 43% chance to OHKO any offensive version of Mega Altaria after SR Damage.

- He also laughs at Mega Sableye as one of its tools of war, Will-o-Wisp, is rendered moot thanks to his typing.

- He can even 2HKO Talonflame and snipe weakened (44% or less) Keldeo with Extreme Speed too.

Stone Edge was selected over Bulldoze, despite its shoddy accuracy, to OHKO CharX as, without it, CharX can DD after eating a Bulldoze and pursue to OHKO me with EQ.

Suicune @ Leftovers
EV: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IV: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Role: Set-Up Sweeper

Crocune is here to check Mega Metagross, even with Grassknot as CM boosts only weaken GK as time progresses. When Suicune is out, accumulating boosts is the #1 priority in order to be able to combat most of the mons that can pose a threat, such as Clefable and Mega Sableye. He can also check Keldeo to an extent; as Specs-Boosted Secret Sword can still net a 3HKO while all I can do is fish for a burn, which segue into the next fact that unfortunately, Scald burns are Suicune’s only recourse until it accumulates the boosts (usually +2) necessary to sweep. However, Suicune handles stall very nicely as status is irrelevant thanks to RestTalk which also allows me to stack the boosts necessary to overwhelm traditional Stall.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EV: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IV: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Role: Unaware Wall / Stealth Rock User

Next up, we have Clefable. She is here to provide utility to the team. First off, she is my Stealth Rock user. 2nd, she is my deterrent to set-up sweeper thanks to Unaware. Though she can’t tank every hit; Tough Claws Flare Blitz from CharX hurts like a mutha*****, full defensive investment allows me to pivot into weaker attacks and Wishpass to one of my heavy hitters or reset rocks as Hazard Control is a big factor in obtaining victory.

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EV: 144 HP / 192 SpA / 172 Spe
Mild Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Wave

Role: Hazard Control

This Tentacruel set is definitely unique and requires explanation. 172 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed 252+ Heatran & 2HKO it with Scald. Even with Choice Specs, Earth Power does a max of 60% damage thanks to Assault Vest plus the 144 HP EVs. Finally, 192 SpA EVs allow me to 2HKO 252 HP / 96+ Clefable prior to a CM Boost. Acid Spray is here to be able to go 1 v. 1 against the aforementioned Clefable and Mega Sableye and succeed. Basically, this set was made so that Tentacruel can do more than just do Hazard Control and absorb Toxic Spikes. Not that those jobs are menial, but the one knock on him is that he really doesn’t do much beyond those two tasks. Think of this as a creative attempt at making someone more viable and utilizing an element of surprise to boot.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EV: 240 Atk / 36 SpA / 232 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn

Role: Revenge Killer

Lando-T is here as a basic Revenge Killer with a twist. Instead of a Jolly Nature with Superpower / Explosion; I decided to go Naïve with HP Ice as a lure for Gliscor. 36 SpA EVs allow me to 2HKO 244 / 192+ SpD Gliscor after SR Damage + Poison Heal recovery. Even though Suicune can check CharX, Suicune needs to be at +1 to at least have a punchers chance at accomplishing this. Meanwhile, CharX can boost with me and possibly net a 2HKO with Dragon Claw accompanied by high enough damage rolls. Thus, Lando-T, on top of RK, can switch in and drop CharX Atk by -1 and respond with a OHKO with EQ as well... assuming I don’t receive a burn from a Flare Blitz (#FUKIN_HAX!!!)

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EV: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- HP Fire

Role: Mixed Cleaner

Ahhh…. so majestic. Mega Diancie blinds her opponents with such radiating beauty… then ensues to form a Diamond Edge Blade and start slashing bitches!!!! Just look….

She is the Queen of my Chessboard and rightfully so. She can REKT a number of threats except for Mega Metagross. Even then, she speed ties with the super computer, leaving the fate of battle to a coin flip. Nothing special about the set, as Diancie is here to clean the likes of Mega Altaria, Mega Sableye, Keldeo, Talonflame and a slew of other powerful mons depending on the situation. In the end, she shines bright like a diamond. ^_^

Well there is the team. Hope you enjoyed reading my post. If you have any questions, comments or critiques feel free to drop a rate. Thx again for reading everyone.

Enjoy you summer ^_^

Prof. R. Feliciano
Director of Metagame Studies, Smogon University, New York Campus
Director of Archaeological Studies, Smogon University, Chicago Campus
Lead Archaeologist of the Ruins of Alph excavation, Summer 2014
Lead Archaeologist for the Cave of Origin excavation, Fall 2014
Selected: Lead Archaelogist for the Spear Pillar, Circa. Fall 2015 (spoiler)

Entei @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
Tentacruel (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 144 HP / 192 SpA / 172 Spe
Mild Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 Atk / 36 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-Turn

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- HP Fire

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Worst Rihanna song should be Bitch better Have my Money IMO :x
First is the Clefable EV should be changed to:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / or 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Def
Bold / Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect
You only put Bold and 8 EVs in Def which still won't allow Clefabel to take on Physical threats very well due to the lack of investment and the SpDef investment doesn't really take some special attacked very well. This EV bread can help you way better against Charizard X which can just Molly whop you're team or you could use a more SpDef investment to take on Manaphy and Thunderous.

Next is your Tentacruel set:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

ASSvest is not a good Iteam for Tentruak as it lacks the SpAt to pull it off and Tentruak is going to be switching in and out wedding down its usefulness. This Movest is a lo better as it capitalizes on Tentrual ability to wall Keldeo, Breloom, Charizard-Y, Mega Altaria , or Azzumarill. Acid Spray is good as it allows Tentrual to not be set up bait for Calm Minders like Keldeo Mamaphy and Clefable. toxic Spikes or Knock Off can be used it the last Slow Toxic Soikes can give Pokemon on a timer or Knock Off can prevent it from being walled by Gengar and getting rid of Iteams

Worst Rihanna song should be Bitch better Have my Money IMO :x
First is the Clefable EV should be changed to:

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / or 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Def
Bold / Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Protect
Was a Typo... updated....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)