Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings (Under Construction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Kadabra I can somewhat agree with, but at the same time I feel like it is definitely on par viability-wise with other things in B- such as Ursaring, Ninetales and Kecleon. As I stated previously, it IS frail and weak to a lot of things and as such can't come in, but LO is just as viable on Kadabra as it would be on Jynx over Sash as they share many traits, and it's a similar concept of boosting your power to really nice heights. Again, why is it so bad?
Actually, it isn't that similar. While Kadabra is faster and stronger, Jynx has a really nice secondary STAB, access to Focus Blast and Dry Skin which helps it switch in. LO Kadabra may seem appealing at first sight due to not suffering from recoil (and hazards for the matter), but it just can't switch and is really prone to priority. LO Kadabra seems a decent set if you can make use of it, but more often than not Sash is better (which is exactly what Deej Dy said) as it allows him to become a one time check to almost the whole tier, by either tanking a hit and KOing or Thunder Waving the threat. But yeah, I also can agree it deserves B- because of his RK capabilities and, well, he's at least better than Simipour and Rampardos and as good as Ursaring and Ninetales lol

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Well, in that case, would you drop Krick down to D as well, and Leavanny to C- because of new defoggers (which by the way don't particularly want to come in on any of the webs setters, leaving them at a disadvantage)? If you see a Malamar on the opposing team, it would be beyond daft to even attempt to set up sticky webs; instead, you would lead with something that matches up well against their team rather than giving them an advantage by letting their sweeper have +1 speed automatically. I'm not sure how you got the notion that it's bad and some proof that it is "a terrible terrible" Pokemon would be appreciated; what exactly does it do or not do that's so bad? It beats most variants of Xatu given you have a bit of luck, which isn't as much as you could say about the other two (Leavanny rarely runs KO, and Krick is too slow to beat Xatu anyways), and it does exactly what it should do as a sticky web setter: set webs and die. In some cases it kills things, too. HOw is that bad?
Kadabra I can somewhat agree with, but at the same time I feel like it is definitely on par viability-wise with other things in B- such as Ursaring, Ninetales and Kecleon. As I stated previously, it IS frail and weak to a lot of things and as such can't come in, but LO is just as viable on Kadabra as it would be on Jynx over Sash as they share many traits, and it's a similar concept of boosting your power to really nice heights. Again, why is it so bad?
Well for Starters Leavanny can actually beat other lead rockers like Rhydon with Leaf storm (or leaf blade) and it has a good speed tier and access to knock off, so it is clearly better than Ariados. On the other hand Ariados doesn't beat Xatu 1v1 unless they aren't Colbur and you Megahorn+Sucker Punch, otherwise you just die to 2 Psyshocks and Megahorn does like 70% in swarm.

I also find it absurd that it should be in C- rank with the likes of Muk and Monferno. ... In Fact Muk should probably rise to like C or C+

But anyway Ariados is far too underwhelming for the raise and dying to rock blast Rhydon (with huge usage atm) isn't helpful either.
And you are right, it does fulfill its role of "set webs and die", but webs isn't that great at the moment and Leavanny often does a better job when it is used.

Also T-spikes are pretty bad at the moment with Skuntank just dropping and being pretty common as well as the rise of VILEPLUME.

Piloswine B+ -> A-
Boasting 100/80/60 Defenses + Eviolite, this mon can take just about any non-super effective hit. Things that can threaten to OHKO it, such as Sawk, definitely don't want to switch into this monster since it has a pretty high chance to die to a combination of Rocks + EQ + Ice Shard. Piloswine can reliably set up Stealth Rocks or just beat common leads like Archeops with ease. Piloswine's STABs are also godlike, being at least neutral on everything in the tier, and hitting many of the super-effectively. Many teams in this meta don't have a switch in for Piloswine, so it will get a kill (or heavy damage) on basically anything that comes out. Piloswine can also do a pretty good job at checking S-Rank threats like Archeops (and to a lesser extent Tauros), not taking too much from Acrobatics while killing it in return, as well as reliably beat Xatu, and can switch in on common Pokemon like Skuntank and Rhydon. I was a little reluctant to use this since I generally don't like using bulky Pokemon that lack recovery, but I highly encourage people to try this thing out.

tl;dr Amazing defenses, good attack, amazing STABS, and reliable Rock Setter that can win common lead matchups.

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
Well for Starters Leavanny can actually beat other lead rockers like Rhydon with Leaf storm (or leaf blade) and it has a good speed tier and access to knock off, so it is clearly better than Ariados. On the other hand Ariados doesn't beat Xatu 1v1 unless they aren't Colbur and you Megahorn+Sucker Punch, otherwise you just die to 2 Psyshocks and Megahorn does like 70% in swarm.

I also find it absurd that it should be in C- rank with the likes of Muk and Monferno. ... In Fact Muk should probably rise to like C or C+

But anyway Ariados is far too underwhelming for the raise and dying to rock blast Rhydon (with huge usage atm) isn't helpful either.
And you are right, it does fulfill its role of "set webs and die", but webs isn't that great at the moment and Leavanny often does a better job when it is used.

Also T-spikes are pretty bad at the moment with Skuntank just dropping and being pretty common as well as the rise of VILEPLUME.
I never said T-Spikes are good, but it IS a niche that Ariados has over the other two. I also never said that Ariados is better than Leavanny, I am fully aware that Leavanny is better than Ariados, but neither it not Krick have a chance at beating Xatu, unless Xatu switches in on Leavanny's Knock Off. A common situation is other person leads with (insert mon here), and has a Xatu on their team. Now as long as said mon is not something like Archeops/Rhydon, they switch to Xatu as i Megahorn, doing about 30% damage to the standard spread. Now they have a choice: U-Turn, breaking my sash and giving me the opportunity to possibly set up webs and also putting damage on the rest of their team, or stay in and attack and die to Swarm Megahorn. Xatu doesn't feel this pressure with the other setters because Krick's Endeavor does't really do too much if it's not at 1 hp, and Leavanny's Knock Off is really weak unboosted. Webs isn't actually that bad, as it allows for a better way to check the primarily offensive threats of this meta (as i said before, there are about 4 purely defensive 'mons in A rank) and only has two major stops in Malamar and Xatu, both of which Ariados checks. As I said before, it doesn't do a better job than Leavanny, but it at least deserves to be put

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Hey everybody, it's me BrandonBeast, with an all-new nomination! So, here we go!

Pyroar for A+
This thing is definetely A+ material right now. Pyroar is one of the hardest hitters in the tier, with an awesome special attack stat helped by it's good 106 speed stat. Hyper Voice provides good neutral coverage with Fire Blast or Flamethrower, and HP Grass hits stuff like Rhydon. That means Pyroar has one free slot for a move, like Will-o-Wisp to snag counters and checks or even Noble Roar to neuter attackers, or even Taunt! This makes Pyroar one of the best cleaners or wallbreakers in the tier, and it can provide utility as well thanks to it's free slot. Pyroar is frail and easily worn down due to LO recoil and it's nasty SR weakness, and all of it's abilities are useless. But Pyroar is easily one of the best pokemon in the tier due to it's speed, special attack, and it's utility, so I think it should rise!

Reactions: nv

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
B- --> C+

I agree with dropping Cryogonal, it's very subpar in this meta compared to other Freeze-Dry Ice-types and other Rapid Spinners. As an Ice-type it has virtually no coverage to smack Ice resists outside of bulky Water-types and is genuinely outclassed by Vanilluxe as an offensive mon. As a spinner, it suffers too much from its weakness to rocks, poor defensive typing, and general poor bulk. Hitmonchan dropping has only maimed its already poor standing as a spinner because of how much better a spinner it is. Resisting rocks, superior offensive presence, priority, and a much better matchup vs common Spikers/SR setters basically cement Hitmonchan as the superior spinner in this meta.

...and yes, that does mean I disagree with
B --> B-

It holds a very respectable niche as one of our best Rapid Spinners (for the reasons listed above) and plays like a cute little combination of Sawk and Gurdurr. Iron Fist Mach Punch with ok speed and bulk with respectable power and coverage in Ice Punch and Earthquake is perfectly fine for B imo, but if anyone is unconvinced I can go into greater detail about the pros of Hitmonchan.

B+ --> B

Heavily disagree with this. Just because we had two Defoggers drop doesn't mean Prinplup is suddenly outclassed as a Defogger. In fact, Prinplup still holds its niche as our best bulky Water-type Stealth Rock setter and best bulky Defogger in one slot. Skunk is the only Defogger that dropped that could even remotely be compared to Prinplup's role and it isn't even close to the levels of consistency Prinplup hits as a Defogger.

C+ --> C/C-

Agree with this. The advent of Dark-types on the tier not only put a strain on the Focus Sashes of many Shedinjas, but they mess with Xatu who is crucial to most Shedinja teams for preventing Rocks/Spikes. Honestly, just Skuntank in general messes with Shedinja because it can't avoid the Pursuit due to its lackluster speed. However, Shedinja definitely maintains an ok niche in being able to hard counter mons like Klinklang, most Water-types, Jynx, Xatu, among other assorted mons, so it's definitely superior to most of the D rank.

A- --> A

Disagree with this for now. While Skuntank is bulky, fairly strong, has a great defensive and offensive typing, and holds and impressive pool of utility moves, I think it's too easy to take advantage of to justify a rise right now. Taunt, Sucker Punch, Fire Blast, and even Pursuit are pretty exploitable moves and they find their way onto most of Skuntank's primary moveslots. I guess I'm not completely opposed because of how good a utility mon it is, but I'm just of the opinion it relies way too much on Sucker Punch to hurt any offensive teams.

I agree with all of Waters' noms (
) he perfectly described all of them so I won't expand on them anymore, just gonna relink the post here

B+ --> A-

Definitely and most definitely agree with this one. Pilo is an amazing and underrated offensive rocker in today's meta. Because of its great bulk, it performs as a soft Normal- and Flying-type check, is a more reliable Volt Switch blocker than Rhydon because it doesn't need to fear a stray HP Grass, and packs some nice priority with Ice Shard to pick off some weakened offensive mons. However, I think the main appeal to using Piloswine right now is it is the only Stealth Rock setter in our tier that resists Freeze-Dry, which can otherwise plow through unprepared teams (mainly ones who think Lanturn is an Ice check). Stoned hit on its great bulk and fantastic offensive coverage so I won't get into that, but I wanted to get what I had to say out there

And finally, I'm going to disagree with the Pyroar nomination because I haven't heard a solid argument for it rising yet. BrandonBeast it's nice to see that you're so committed to posting and getting involved because, honestly, I love users who want to post content and expand on the quality of our subforum. However, it's becoming blatantly obvious you are barely, if at all, using the mons in question and are simply reposting the information found on the smogdex. I understand if it's because you may not know what people mean when they say that a nomination has to be about how that mon performs in the meta as opposed to just static facts about what it does, so I'll extend the same invitation Zeb did to you. If you'd like to learn more about how to post better on forums, feel free to pm me and I can bring up countless examples, break it down, and show you what you should be doing so you can avoid another, fatal infraction point. I'd love to see you on the way to being a great contributor, because you obviously have the attitude and drive to get there.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Pyroar perhaps should rise, but not for any of the reasons mentioned, which seem pretty obvious... It is a great fast mon and I am particularly loving this set atm

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice/Will-o-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

Fast sub is awesome in this meta of Sucker Punch spam, easily allowing Pyroar to get a free sub vs the likes of Shiftry or Skuntank and proceeding to annihilate them with Fire Blast (or wisp if you choose to carry it). It adds a nice surprise factor to many teams because not as many teams are prepared for Pyroar in this meta, much less once hiding behind a sub. It also outspeeds and 1hkos non-scarf Scyther which is quite popular in this meta. I would agree with a raise to A+ or at least on the same level of Magmortar.

C+ --> B-/B
I've been loving using Arbok in this current metagame. The metagame trends in this post-drop meta have shifted in Arbok's favor, with Fighting types becoming more common, and Psychics like Xatu less common (they really shouldn't be, considering Sawk is the best pokemon in the tier and other Fightings have become more common as well). It also pairs well with Fighting types and Dark types (beats Fairies, especially Mega Audino), including pairing really well with Shiftry. Thus, Arbok has a bit more breathing room for Coil setup. It also has a decent movepool, letting it run things like Seed Bomb for Ground types (especially Quagsire, which would be a big pain in the butt otherwise), Earthquake for Steels, and more. It's not the best Pokemon ever, as it still manages to be pretty weak unless it manages to get up a Coil or two, and Poison isn't the best defensive type, but it's more than C+ in this metagame, as a Fairy check, underrated set up sweeper, and has gotten better from the metagame trends, pairing very well with the types of Pokemon that are popular currently.

A+ --> S
More poison types! This is more of a controversial nomination, but I think Garbodor is at the standard for an S ranked Pokemon. While it isn't exactly versatile like, say, Xatu or Sawk, it still manages to do its job extremely well and how influential Garbodor and its job are on the meta. Even if it isn't unpredictable in its roles (Spikes is the only viable set), it has coverage to get rid of usual stops (Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, even borderline gimmicky things like Thunderbolt for Pelipper/Prinplup). It is a great fighting type check as well, and Xatu having lower usage helps as well. Overall this is meta-defining in my eyes, and worthy of the coveted S rank.

D --> Unranked
This was already horrible, but got worse with Shiftry arriving. Not much to say about it. Knock Off weak, bad stats, too weak to really do anything. Just a really niche/bad mon in general.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm on phone right now so I'll make this short. I've used all three of those mons quite a bit and I disagree with all 3 nominations.

Arbok: lacks immediate power, struggles to beat things even while set up, being a "fairy check" isn't relevant when theres only two relevant ones in the tier.

Garbodor: it does it's job well, deters cc from sawk, has arguably the most important entry hazard aside from sr. But all things considered I just don't think it has the same impact on the game as many of the other s rank mons, and despite them not being that great xatu, skunk, and most other things that look to prevent or remove hazards have a good match up vs garbodor. This is remedied by garbs offensive presence to an extent but garb doesn't have an immediate effect on games like other s rank mons do, as it has plenty of checks it needs to deal with.

Frillish: still really good, best water type answer in the tier, it is more niche but I'd rather it stay ranked so people don't forget about it. It's worthy of the rank and removing it doesn't do any good

I may not have articulated the garb points well enough so I might expand more when I get home

Last edited:
A+ --> S
More poison types! This is more of a controversial nomination, but I think Garbodor is at the standard for an S ranked Pokemon. While it isn't exactly versatile like, say, Xatu or Sawk, it still manages to do its job extremely well and how influential Garbodor and its job are on the meta. Even if it isn't unpredictable in its roles (Spikes is the only viable set), it has coverage to get rid of usual stops (Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, even borderline gimmicky things like Thunderbolt for Pelipper/Prinplup). It is a great fighting type check as well, and Xatu having lower usage helps as well. Overall this is meta-defining in my eyes, and worthy of the coveted S rank.
I really don't think Garbo is worthy of S. Its utility with Aftermath, Spikes, and Rocky Helmet is nice, but nothing has really happened recently to make it better, besides maybe the rise of Sawk (which has EQ and Zen anyway) and a slight decline in Psychics. The tier has 2 new good hazard removers (Shiftry and Hitmonchan) and a mediocre one in Skuntank. Skuntank also absorbs Toxic Spikes, as does Vileplume which has recently become better. It has decent bulk and power, but neither of them are really spectacular. It's super easy to force out with Psychic types and really any strong special attacker and it's pretty slow as well. Its coverage options are neat, but it either has to give up utility like Toxic Spikes or miss out on hitting targets like Quag, ghosts, Defoggers, and Claydol. It's a great mon, but I don't feel like it's as meta-defining as the S rank mons. Garbo is fine in A+

Edit: Ninja'd RIP

I really don't think Garbo is worthy of S. Its utility with Aftermath, Spikes, and Rocky Helmet is nice, but nothing has really happened recently to make it better, besides maybe the rise of Sawk (which has EQ and Zen anyway) and a slight decline in Psychics. The tier has 2 new good hazard removers (Shiftry and Hitmonchan) and a mediocre one in Skuntank. Skuntank also absorbs Toxic Spikes, as does Vileplume which has recently become better. It has decent bulk and power, but neither of them are really spectacular. It's super easy to force out with Psychic types and really any strong special attacker and it's pretty slow as well. Its coverage options are neat, but it either has to give up utility like Toxic Spikes or miss out on hitting targets like Quag, ghosts, Defoggers, and Claydol. It's a great mon, but I don't feel like it's as meta-defining as the S rank mons. Garbo is fine in A+

Edit: Ninja'd RIP
1. Sawk doesn't really want to click zen+eq too much. It normally just clicks knock off and cc. 2. Hitmonchan and shiftry are beaten by garbodor, skunk is a bit more tricky but with drain punch you wear it down to the point where it can no longer come in and defog. So Garbo keeps it hazards up on them. 3. Garbo doesn't really need to hit quag and ghosts because they don't threaten garbo's hazards and it can just pivot out. 4. Garb blankets a lot of mons so it limits teambuilding and forcing a hazard remover on every team. 5. ??? 6. Are you implying that hitmonchan is a better hazard remover then skunk? 7. Lol no

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. Sawk doesn't really want to click zen+eq too much. It normally just clicks knock off and cc. 2. Hitmonchan and shiftry are beaten by garbodor, skunk is a bit more tricky but with drain punch you wear it down to the point where it can no longer come in and defog. So Garbo keeps it hazards up on them. 3. Garbo doesn't really need to hit quag and ghosts because they don't threaten garbo's hazards and it can just pivot out. 4. Garb blankets a lot of mons so it limits teambuilding and forcing a hazard remover on every team. 5. ??? 6. Are you implying that hitmonchan is a better hazard remover then skunk? 7. Lol no
1.Pussies click knock off. Good Sawk users click moves that eliminate it's counters.
2. Shiftry can easily get past garb with extrasensory if it's really that important. Idgaf if Chan can't beat garb, you don't bring Chan in on garb.Skunk shouldn't be in on garb in the first place but I guess it shuts down grabs main purpose.
3. While garb doesn't need to hit those things, not being able to touch them means a teammate is forced to take an attack.
4. What exactly does it blanket? You do know if you call something a blanket check it should at least check something relevant. Most special and physical attackers at least have options to 2hko it. Like yeah it's physically bulky but it's still getting 2hkod by arch tauros swellow sawn etc. Since when does every team need a hazard remover? Lol
5. ??? Why the fuck did u write 5
6. It is.
7. Lol no.

Well Sawk runs Zen and EQ for a reason so if the Sawk user has reason to believe they will switch to Garb, they will click Zen or EQ. Garbo might be able to beat Chan and Shiftry 1v1, but more hazard removers is never be a good thing for a hazard setter. Garbo does like to hit Quag so it doesn't sit there and get walled or stalled out due to Scald burn and Recover, and switching out is a bit of a momentum sink. As far as ghosts go, Mismag can set up on it unless it has Seed Bomb, Misdreavus can burn it, and Rotom and Haunter can do good damage with their special STABs. Garb does not force hazard removal on every team there are plenty of teams that get by just fine without it, especially since Garb is easy to pressure with strong special attackers. Hitmonchan is actually a decent hazard remover and Defog Skunk is pretty subpar and not used too much since it has other moves it should be running (Posion Jab, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Taunt, Fire Blast, Memento).

Edit: Ninja'd again damn it Kiyo

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
1.Pussies click knock off. Good Sawk users click moves that eliminate it's counters.
2. Shiftry can easily get past garb with extrasensory if it's really that important. Idgaf if Chan can't beat garb, you don't bring Chan in on garb.Skunk shouldn't be in on garb in the first place but I guess it shuts down grabs main purpose.
3. While garb doesn't need to hit those things, not being able to touch them means a teammate is forced to take an attack.
4. What exactly does it blanket? You do know if you call something a blanket check it should at least check something relevant. Most special and physical attackers at least have options to 2hko it. Like yeah it's physically bulky but it's still getting 2hkod by arch tauros swellow sawn etc. Since when does every team need a hazard remover? Lol

5. ??? Why the fuck did u write 5

6. It is.
7. Lol no.

I feel like Mega Audino should be S rank due to how well she sweeps & walls. Pretty good supporter as well. You could also keep her as Audino & use her as a pivot with the ability "Regenerator" so it's easier to get rid of her counters/checks. This poke is just soooo fat that it's very tough to hit her hard. This poke has very good synergy with other mons as well, such as Sawk who is awesome in the tier.

The only thing I'd say about Mega Audino is that it's pretty weak before setting up and vulnerable to status (unless you find room for Heal Bell or run RestTalk) but yeah otherwise I guess it can move up since it helps against all the new dark types and Sawk to an extent.

Can Xatu go down to A+? It almost has to run Colbur now so it isn't destroyed by Sucker Punch or Pursuit and there are more hazard removers so Magic Bounce is less useful. Not gonna go super in-depth because Ren-chon already made a really good argument on it back a page (post #95) and hit pretty much all the major points. It's still really good, just not S worthy anymore.

I like Mega audino to S; it's really bulky and annoying for standardish offense to play around, esp. with SR down, since barely anything 2HKOes it. even non-cm sets are p annoying to face and it can check sawk if it doesnt come in on cc and is mega-evolved so i guess it's extra insurance? it's just really annoying to deal with i feel and does a great job as a wall/tank/wishpasser

I can get behind MegAudino to S, it is so fat it can get easy switch ins on things that barely hurt it, teams that don't prepare for it will get destroyed. Crodino and Luredino both are great sets in taking out large threats. With rocks up this thing is destruction as it doesnt have to fear anything getting a second hit in on it. It has a wide variety of sets and moves that make it hard to predict, where running surf/grass knot can remove Rhydon and you can run Tbolt to bop Pelipper.

I have some thoughts on the current viability list of the mons that I commonly use/play against!

Cradily C+ ---> B

In my defense I haven't recommended a cradily rise throughout my use of it for the passed 9 months :O I've been finding it to be really good in this meta with it's main downside being sawk forces it out and can hugely hurt your squad, it takes a little bit of work to fit on a team and is therefore not very splashable, and is setup fodder for malamar/m-audino.

On the other hand it is really good right now. Similar to vileplume it can switch in on shiftry; tanking 2 knock offs, a knock off then a leaf storm, or a knock off then a sucker in which cradily can hit recover and eliminate the risk. It has the advantage over many of the top tier threats such as cheops, tauros, xatu, rhydon, liepard, kanga, ludicolo, pyroar, magmortar, lilligant, lanturn, kabutops, rotom, haunter, claydol, special rott, and can even bop so many of the things that like to come in on it such as mawile, pawn, klink, garb, skuntank with simple ground coverage moves.

I've been running both SpD crad and SpA crad and they both put in work. SpD crad is very good at getting up rocks while being better able to handle the mons it is good against. SpA can take advantage of it's coverage to put a dent in many unsuspecting and very often unprepared teams.

The main reason I'm asking for a rise is because in this meta not only can I explain cradily's use on paper but it's also becoming my MVP for many games and is def a solid part of the cores I use. (plz don't hate me forever ;-;)

Piloswine B+ ---> A

Am I the only one who has problems with this? I know this meta is a great fan of sawk and rott but piloswine is still threatening the vast majority of mons I like to use and has ice shard so it can clean up anything once they grow weak. On top of that I would argue it is the most reliable hazard setter in the tier since it can rek xatu, claydol, kabutops, sandslash, skunk, shiftry, (not prinplup), but at the very least the vast majority of the way people remove or prevent hazards.

Eq and Icicle crash also seem to hit many of the common things people use like lanturn, rotom fan, scyther, skunk, ect...

Golurk B ---> B+

Even with pursuit skunk going around I find golurks coverage to be amazingly good at letting it be near uncounterable. Iron fist allows it to make use of ice punch, shadow punch, and drain punch. It also has the option of running heavy slam(fuk audino), grass knot (fuk quag ;}), stone edge, and stealth rock. It's stab eq is also not to be messed with!

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay I too have some thoughts given that I've laddered a lot recently

Xatu S --> A+/A
Xatu has been sitting in S rank with people saying "why is this thing S" for ages, because in the current metagame, it really shouldn't be considered S rank. Xatu's main role on a team is hazard prevention, mind games, deterring your opponent from spamming hazards. To this extent, I believe Xatu performs this role at A+ or A grade standard. Reasons for this being:
-Still a reliable Garbodor/Roselia/Weezing check.
-Hard walls Ferroseed, can run great coverage moves like Giga Drain and Heat Wave, Rhydon and Ferroseed are increasingly common.
-Great vs Stall/Toxic stall tactics.
Other roles:
-Utility in Thunder Wave helps out balance teams and bulky offense teams.
-Calm Mind attacker (outclasses Mesprit and Mushy in the sense it doesn't get stopped by Toxic).
-Fighting check (very important).

However, in the state of the current metagame, Xatu cannot be considered S rank for a few reasons:
-Shiftry and Skuntank, Skuntank moreso, are decent Xatu checks. Xatu can U-Turn on Shiftry but is Pursuit trapped by Skuntank, as well as being destroyed by the occasional Crunch Skuntank. Not to mention Xatu's lack of options to hit Skuntank back.
-Common Stealth Rock users in NU right now like Rhydon, Piloswine, Torterra, Claydol, all scare Xatu from coming in and blocking rocks through fear of being OHKO'd. Rhydon, in my opinion, is so common right now that it makes Xatu just so risky, it's presence on a team is nullified by Rhydon's own presence as it fully stops Xatu performing it's main role in blocking hazards.
-Fighting types bring Knock Off, Colbur Xatu is limited by it's lack of residual recovery in leftovers.
-Rotom (standard) and Rotom (fan) are both increasingly common and just cause Xatu all sorts of trouble.

That brings me to my next nomination:

Rotom A- --> A
I was honestly surprised to see this guy sitting in A-, not sure about you guys. Rotom has two very niche sets that are both equally good and that's what makes it so powerful, it's roles on a team are not always obvious from team preview which makes playing around it quite sketchy early game and can seriously harm your team if not prepared for.
The scarf set:
-Brilliant revenge killer and speed control to beat offense teams.
-Can trick it's scarf and pass status to cripple stall teams.
-Great fighting check and spin blocker.
-You can't really argue with STAB Volt Switch

The wisphex set:
-Rhydon check
-Lanturn is not really an issue
-Easy to bluff being scarf!!!
-Destroys balance
-Archeops check too wow
-Hex is so powerful it's stupid with a spell tag ._.
-Check this calc:
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 183-216 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage
252 SpA Spell Tag Rotom Hex (130 BP) vs. 40 HP / 216+ SpD Lanturn: 183-216 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and burn damage
This means with a toxic spike up, you are guaranteed to 2hko it, one of Rotom's biggest counters destroyed immediately!
-More STAB Volt Switching shenanigans on top of all this.

Seriously Rotom is just so freaking good and versatile right now.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
I'm going to push Orphic's nomination to rotom for A+.

I've started using rotom only 3 weeks ago and peaked the ladder mainly because of it. This thing is just the incarnation of an offensive mon with the most epic defensive typing. I've used it with a sitrus and am now using colbur and unlike the great majority of offensive mons it's not ohko'd by threats like tauros, klinklang, sawk(18% chance to ohko), archeops, scyther, pinsir, garbodor, hariyama, physical swellow and just so much more. The list then doubles to practically every physical attacker in NU when you consider his good speed and incomming will-o-wisp burn. That just there is some insane walling capacities for an offensive mon (no def investment). Not to mention unlike practically all other bulky offensive mons and even walls rotom can do this even under heavy hazards.
Rotom might not hit that hard with a colbur berry but stacked with wow residual damage he actually hurts a lot, his dual stab is nearly unresisted in NU and a lot of things that could switch-in deeply fear getting wow'ed on the switch. Even then, of all the thigs that could still switch-in, only lanturn will stop you from volt-switching out.
Seriously this thing has some amazing combo potential with so many mons it's just dumb and is just a true pain to revenge kill.
5/5 would use again!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I am seeing pretty much zero reason to use
on a team in this meta. Skuntank has taken Muk's most notable niche as a Poison-type that can check most of the tier's special attackers, except Skunk does better at the job since it can easily take on Psychics and Ghosts, plus it has Sucker Punch to further ease those matchups. It is also lackluster in the support department, as it doesn't bring anywhere near as much utility as the likes of Weezing, Garbodor, and Skunk itself. Even as a bulky booster with Curse, Muk find itself outperformed significantly by Coil Arbok, which boasts superior Speed, coverage, and even extra moveslots (for said coverage) since Arbok doesn't need to equip Sleep Talk should it choose Rest thanks to Shed Skin, which also eases Arbok against status in general.

This leaves Muk's sole niche as a wallbreaker Poison-type (and again, Arbok still competes with Muk for some of the aforementioned reasons, and even has Switcheroo). The big problem is that while Muk's Poison STAB has the raw power, it simpy lacks the sufficient coverage to back it up. The likes of Ice Punch and Fire Punch just simply won't do the trick against the likes of Rhydon, Mawile, Carracosta, Quagsire, etc. god forbid opposing bulky Poison-types. Sure, Muk has access to Giga Drain which can do more damage against some of those targets, but if you desire Grass coverage so badly there are other candidates for the job, such as Arbok, Garbodor, and even Seviper (which isn't even ranked), or even simply slap HP Grass on a Poison-type with better Special Attack, like Weezing or Skuntank.

Hmm, what's that? Most of those Poison-types aren't typically known as powerful wallbreakers, which makes them lackluster choices to break an opponent's team? Well that's what you're doing when you signed up for using Muk, which I find doesn't have any easier of a time wallbreaking things despite its higher Attack stat. Other Poison-types either have less checks / counters due to their superior coverage, or have something to do (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Will-O-Wisp, etc.) if they do encounter a roadblock. Muk is just stopped stonecold in the face of almost any bulky Poison-type stop, and even with its Poison Touch ability, it can struggle to outlast them since its poor Speed, exploitable physical Defense, and lack of reliable recovery puts it at plenty of risk.

Muk is just outclassed in this meta. I doubt it even performs better than the unranked Seviper as an AoA, which at least breaks through every Poison resist in the tier with marvelous ease. Unrank Muk imho.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am seeing pretty much zero reason to use
on a team in this meta. Skuntank has taken Muk's most notable niche as a Poison-type that can check most of the tier's special attackers, except Skunk does better at the job since it can easily take on Psychics and Ghosts, plus it has Sucker Punch to further ease those matchups. It is also lackluster in the support department, as it doesn't bring anywhere near as much utility as the likes of Weezing, Garbodor, and Skunk itself. Even as a bulky booster with Curse, Muk find itself outperformed significantly by Coil Arbok, which boasts superior Speed, coverage, and even extra moveslots (for said coverage) since Arbok doesn't need to equip Sleep Talk should it choose Rest thanks to Shed Skin, which also eases Arbok against status in general.

This leaves Muk's sole niche as a wallbreaker Poison-type (and again, Arbok still competes with Muk for some of the aforementioned reasons, and even has Switcheroo). The big problem is that while Muk's Poison STAB has the raw power, it simpy lacks the sufficient coverage to back it up. The likes of Ice Punch and Fire Punch just simply won't do the trick against the likes of Rhydon, Mawile, Carracosta, Quagsire, etc. god forbid opposing bulky Poison-types. Sure, Muk has access to Giga Drain which can do more damage against some of those targets, but if you desire Grass coverage so badly there are other candidates for the job, such as Arbok, Garbodor, and even Seviper (which isn't even ranked), or even simply slap HP Grass on a Poison-type with better Special Attack, like Weezing or Skuntank.

Hmm, what's that? Most of those Poison-types aren't typically known as powerful wallbreakers, which makes them lackluster choices to break an opponent's team? Well that's what you're doing when you signed up for using Muk, which I find doesn't have any easier of a time wallbreaking things despite its higher Attack stat. Other Poison-types either have less checks / counters due to their superior coverage, or have something to do (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Will-O-Wisp, etc.) if they do encounter a roadblock. Muk is just stopped stonecold in the face of almost any bulky Poison-type stop, and even with its Poison Touch ability, it can struggle to outlast them since its poor Speed, exploitable physical Defense, and lack of reliable recovery puts it at plenty of risk.

Muk is just outclassed in this meta. I doubt it even performs better than the unranked Seviper as an AoA, which at least breaks through every Poison resist in the tier with marvelous ease. Unrank Muk imho.
I'm also of the opinion Muk should drop because it's subpar, but I'm pretty sure we can't unrank it considering it's NU by usage. D Rank seems applicable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)