Online Shopping vs Brick and Mortar store runs

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
With the ease in which we can purchase regular everyday items online today, is there anything you guys purchase in an actual brick and mortar store anymore? One can even get their entire grocery shopping cart online now if they wanted!

What are some things you guys purchase online as opposed to buying in real life, for the sake of convenience? what makes you trust certain e-stores enough to purchase from them like you would an established brick and mortar business in real life? what are some things you would NEVER buy online, and why?

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would never order anything I'm going to eat online (as far as it going in my fridge, ordering pizza is different) and I'm a much bigger fan of shopping for clothes in the store than online. Gaming stuff is easier online to buy honestly, same with sports gear.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
batteries trash bags and lightbulbs

theyre so much cheaper online than going to a store like you can go on amazon and get hella AAs relatively cheap

Honestly, aside from retro video game products and specifically searched-for Pokemon cards, I buy nearly everything IRL.
Me too, aside from stuff that's easiest to get online (mostly music and games) I get most stuff irl. It's just nice to be able to have something you want/need right away, rather than waiting for it

Depends, where I live right now doesn't process packages that great so there's a huge incentive to buy in-person, whereas I used to live in a rural area and availability dictated buying online while timeliness dictated buying whatever I could get in-person. If I have to take a 50 minute trip for it back and forth to get it in-person, I'd probably rather wait a business day's shipping (excluding weekends) unless I have nothing to do and feel like going out.

I buy clothes online as much as I do in-person, but only from stores with long return windows or where I trust the fit from having worn/tried stuff from there before. Shoes it depends very much on you, for me I won't do it anymore despite no negative experiences because of all the problems I've had in brick-and-mortar shoe shops with shoes in my size not walking comfortably (half-sizes rule). Online buying is also a nice aide to brick-and-mortar in that you can try a thing and then, if you need a size up or down or different colour w/e, you can just order it online. Not to mention price matching (this is a huge one with electronics, if a fantastic way to irritate people in electronics stores). If I'm making a majorly expensive electronics purchase odds are I'll buy it in person though, unless it's computer parts or something. Skincare stores are best used to examine the product for the first time then just order it online if you want more... (perfume too)

Books have really annoying shipping prices, so I only buy online if I can't get it elsewhere. I have too many books to read anyway. Books are an example of something that's fantastic to brick and mortar shop, though, especially used bookstores, but of course as I say that a lot of bookstores are shutting down due to digital book technology (which I also make lots of use of). While on the subject, libraries are also better in-person with regard to service/browsing opportunities/environmental ambience/not having to ship the books back and forth, although as they increasingly digitise their collections there's less incentive...

It's good to be able to physically examine produce. I've never majorly food shopped online (read: I've bought candy before) but the main problem there is a) I've never really lived in an area where it was an option before b) now I do, the place I live makes delivery unviable. Travel-related stuff always online because $$, though I've heard some people like to go to familiar brick-and-mortar reps and price match. That's pretty much it, gaming-related stuff is a mix and match based on the item.

As for e-stores: I trust because of word of mouth combined with researching online (for secondary word-of-mouth and any articles about insolvency, scams, etc. that might be relevant). I buy from user-storefront sites like etsy/ebay (rarely)/amazon too, I'll have a look to see if there's negative feedback and how much positive feedback there is but I think after buying online for many years, instinct + knowledge about the product (e.g. if you're ordering figurines, know where the bootlegs come from, know their hallmarks, etc... also some stores are better with some products/departments than others) + fact-checking makes most sellers come out actually pretty reliable as far as people who want your money go... Amount of information about stuff like shipping policies, payment policies, packaging policies helps. Most of the time you can buy from the same places repeatedly anyway.

I try to avoid ordering internationally unless I can get a tracking number, but I've been doing it for a long time and only had something get damaged once, don't think I've ever even had something missing. [note: the main thing to be wary of with most sellers is not getting scammed, it's their security with your personal details, IMO]

Would never order online: meat, my meds (well, this one depends on the future of pharmacists... I try to cultivate a good relationship with my pharmacist too which is useful because I need advice a lot), something I can't afford to get lost in the mail or damaged by customs, makeup/perfume I hadn't had a look at first

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm excited for robot delivery so I can get stuff without having to interact with any humans.

I still go to the store to buy food. It feels weird ordering it from Amazon, anything weird can happen to it. I also like buying t-shirts IRL because I can check my size easier, and you can tell if you like it better in person.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's something kinda satisfying about going to buy things in person. I enjoy the social interraction that you get from it (I'll often have a chat with the attendant behind the till if there isn't a que) and its good to be able to get it instantaniously too. I guess I'm kinda lucky in that I live in London meaning that I have access to literally everything within one short tube ride of my house (before consideration of local stores, which I can walk to in literally two minutes), so it means that I've just gotten so used to buying everything in person. I've not had any bad experiences with buying online outside of one time when I got a HDMI capture card which was defective, but regardless I prefer buying in person when I can.

Also I almost never buy clothes but I've been mostly successful buying them online. Don't buy shoes online though; that shit ain't worth the effort.

Last edited:
For console games I actually really like the event of going to gamestop, I don't know, it's one of the only things I like to shop for. But the only thing I consistantly buy online are computer games and computer parts. There is not a store nearby that sells computer parts.

Oh yeah, I love going to GameStop. The one I go to has friendly employees who have some Pokemon knowledge and occasionally I talk with them. They were so nice when they were out of Mew cards, and tried calling a few other stores looking for some.

I actually buy a lot of stuff online nowadays. I do research on the site first, obviously, before I buy something, though I usually buy things from places like Amazon or a well-known retail store's online website.

I generally buy all my textbooks/casual books online through Amazon so that I don't get ripped off at the book store at my university. Amazon's pretty nifty for buying small gifts for family/friends or last minute things (like a Halloween costume a few months ago) as well, though I get free two-day shipping through Amazon Prime which helps.

I buy clothes online if there's a sale or I don't have time to drive to the mall. Once summer starts I'll probably make the drive more often.

Food is the only thing I consistently buy from a store, however one of my roommates has been using Amazon to buy things like granola bars and Gatorade and hasn't had any problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)