[Online Competition] ~Spooky~ Cup (Halloween 2015)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
They normally are, so I'd expect one soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little longer than usual though, due to the weirdly specific banlist... tagging The Immortal in case he hasn't seen it yet

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh cool, I PM'd Zarel about it but haven't heard back. Thanks The Immortal n_n

Okay, I really don't get why Pikachu is in here. Maybe because it's scary that it appears everywhere.
The list of the eligible Pokemon is widely spread, isn't it? No Mega Stones stops Gengar, of course. Mega-Gengar is just to powerful. And it takes the wind from the sails of the other
Pokemon which can Mega Evolve... Don't know if I like that.
I guess I'll go at least with a Galvantula and maybe an Ariados, too. I like spiders. I'm looking forward to some team suggestions!
I was thinking that pikachu is included because the costume pikachu kinda follows the spirit of halloween with dressing up and everything.

Also because its pikachu.
lol, they answered this exactly like NOVED did on the PGL:

See a complete list of Pokémon below. (Because Pikachu can wear costumes, it’s joining in on the fun, too!)
Any reason to get the mascot in works I guess...

I have literally no idea what's going to be good here, there are obviously going to be strongmons like Hydra, Volc and Aegi, and it'd be easy enough to build a preliminary team for practicing on PS! using those, but I'm really excited to see what crazy strategies people come up with. I remember the Pikachu Cup seemed really stale to me until I had a good play on PS! and ran into that Minun Baton Pass strat that I fell in love with, I wonder what this competition's version of that will be?

It's worth mentioning that both Parasect and Volcarona get Rage Powder. Jellicent will probably be the Trick Roomer of choice, possibly getting Fake Out support from the likes of Meowstic or Sableye.

Last edited:
I can definitely see Chandelure doing some damage in this.
Although I'll probably use Rotom the most, seeing as wash is avaliable.

Based on what I already have built, I could slap together a team of hydreigon, aegislash, volcarona, gengar, weavile, and glisor, with sharpedo, chandelure, and umbreon as back ups. I want to make sure that base works before i mess around with gimmicks like double power sigilyph or scope lens - super luck absol.

All this talk about Pikachu being eligible for this competition reminded me of this one pic the Pokémon Company posted last August that showed four Pikachus dressed as Gengar, Mismagius, Golbat, and Duskull. Costume Pikachu suddenly getting a new Halloween-themed costume that gives it access to a Ghost or Dark-type attack would've been extremely appropriate, but it still would be heavily outclassed when we got bros like Gengar or Aegislash running around.

That said, at least Hydreigon and Volcarona will have potential.

I always separate the pokemon in these kind of special competitions by categories... makes it easier to come up with ideas. This time I guess I'll post it here to get a discussion going.

I realise some of this pokemon can fulfill different roles no need to nitpick.

• Arbok
  • Granbull
  • Mightyena
  • Mawile
  • Krokorok and Krookodile

• Pikachu
  • Mr. Mime
  • Weavile
  • Shiftry
  • Sableye
  • Toxicroak
  • Liepard
  • Meowstic

• Golbat and Crobat
  • Noctowl
  • Murkrow
  • Dustox
  • Shiftry
  • Drifblim
  • Swoobat
  • Sigilyph
  • Volcarona
  • Noivern

• Ariados
  • Galvantula

• Parasect
  • Tangela and Tangrowth
  • Volcarona

• Murkrow
  • Sableye
  • Liepard
  • Meowstic

every ghost and psychic type available except unown, froslass, rotom, drifblim, spiritomb and aegislash

slow with high offensive stats
  • Muk
  • Marowak
  • Cacturne
  • Seviper
  • Shuppet and Banette
  • Dusknoir
  • Spiritomb
  • Golurk
  • Malamar

• Raticate
  • Kabutops
  • Weavile
  • Sharpedo
  • Absol
  • Toxicroak
  • Drapion
  • Skuntank
  • Basculin
  • Scolipede
  • Doublade

• Gengar
  • Mr. Mime
  • Mismagius
  • Houndoom
  • Exploud
  • Lunatone
  • Rotom
  • Glalie, and Froslass
  • Chandelure
  • Zoroark
  • Beheeyem
  • Hydreigon
  • Aegislash
  • Noivern

• Gligar and Gliscor
  • Weezing
  • Umbreon
  • Swalot
  • Claydol
  • Dusclops
  • Drapion
  • Rotom
  • Cofagrigus
  • Garbodor
  • Gothitelle
  • Jellicent
  • Trevenant
  • Gourgeist

• Ditto
  • Unown
  • Shedinja
  • Glalie
  • Drifblim
  • Zoroark

Last edited:
Okay, I really don't get why Pikachu is in here. Maybe because it's scary that it appears everywhere.
The list of the eligible Pokemon is widely spread, isn't it? No Mega Stones stops Gengar, of course. Mega-Gengar is just to powerful. And it takes the wind from the sails of the other
Pokemon which can Mega Evolve... Don't know if I like that.
I guess I'll go at least with a Galvantula and maybe an Ariados, too. I like spiders. I'm looking forward to some team suggestions!
It's the mascot of the franchise and it's hardly used in most competitive tours. I don't see why it bothers people that much.

Seeing that he doesn't currently have a Halloween themed costume, I doubt it's usage will even crack the top 10 if that.

If they hadn't done a Pika event last time, a new costume Pika (Electric Ghost?) would have been an amazing prize for this.

The comp itself does seem interesting. Certainly more potential for variety than the last two and last years.

As long as no one questions why Mr. Mime is in the list of creepy pokemon, I'm fine with arguing why any other should or shouldn't be in the competition.

Is there any way to stop cofagrigus and rage powder volcarona from setting up trick room and then having malamar come in and wreck me?

Mr. Mime has always creeped me out. haha

I know it is not a popular build, but for Mr. Mime I like Filter Ability and having both Quick Guard and Wide Guard. I used him mainly for speed control with his only attacks being Fake Out and Icy Wind. Most of the time I drop Fake Out for Encore. Mr. Mime does have some other useful moves as well, so maybe something to keep him around longer, maybe a Sitrus Berry and Recycle.

I have taken some time away from the game, but this has me wanting to get back into it.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
As long as no one questions why Mr. Mime is in the list of creepy pokemon, I'm fine with arguing why any other should or shouldn't be in the competition.

Is there any way to stop cofagrigus and rage powder volcarona from setting up trick room and then having malamar come in and wreck me?
Scarf adamant Kabutops can kill almost any Volcarona and Specs Hydra or LO Aegislash can kill the Cofagrigus.

Would Tangela/Tangrowth be good as a rage powder user, or should I stick to using Volcarona?
I've tested both, and they've been decent so far.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Another thing to note about Rage Powder is that Grass types are unaffected by Rage Powder. So Shiftry, Cacturne, Rotom-C, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Tangrowth and Parasect would be able to target the ally being protected. Shiftry and Cacturne would be the most threatening in this scenario, particularly Shiftry if it runs Special moves but yeah. Also note, Safety Goggles is a thing in Doubles and also ignores Rage Powder so there's plenty of ways to deal with the redirection. Given that Volcarona is a great redirector I'd expect plenty of Safety Goggles to try and circumvent that + Sleep Powder.

Volcarona is basically the only "good" redirector since Parasect doesn't seem very worthwhile, especially with no rain niche. Tangrowth probably doesn't want to redirect much when it can be offensive though Tangela is bulky enough for it to possibly be useful for that in this format, particularly since it's not weak to the Rock Slides people will probably carry for Volcarona. Then again Knock Off is also big here.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Another thing to note about Rage Powder is that Grass types are unaffected by Rage Powder. So Shiftry, Cacturne, Rotom-C, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Tangrowth and Parasect would be able to target the ally being protected.
Damn, if only there were a way for Volcarona to deal with these pesky Grass-types..

I really wanna use Kabutops just coz I like him in general and he seems to be sorta ok here, the only thing that's turning me off is his 80 base speed, so you need a Scarf to outspeed Volcarona and Hydreigon (I mean Scarf + Rock Slide could be pretty good when paired with a Feint user so I just might), but I was thinking of a gimmicky Weak Armor + Endure + Leichi Berry set, it just means I need to pack a Quick Guard user with me otherwise he'll die to every Sucker Punch / priority user ever, lol (at least I can maybe use Aqua Jet to disrupt SP's..)

I really need to get on PS! and see what other people are using..

Has anyone tried a rain team? I was thinking, Parasect and Toxicroak have Dry Skin. Kabutops has Swift Swim. Water types would get a boost in the rain and it sounds odd, but Pikachu would have Thunder. Pikachu has been surprisingly useful in testing.

Murkrow, Sableye, Liepard, and Mewostic have access to Prankster Rain Dance, so setting up should not be terribly difficult.

Has anyone tried a rain team? I was thinking, Parasect and Toxicroak have Dry Skin. Kabutops has Swift Swim. Water types would get a boost in the rain and it sounds odd, but Pikachu would have Thunder. Pikachu has been surprisingly useful in testing. Aegislash also sounds like a good choice for this team, what with Wide Guard support.

Murkrow, Sableye, Liepard, and Mewostic have access to Prankster Rain Dance, so setting up should not be terribly difficult.
Parasect can also redirect so Rain Dance gets up safely. Liepard seems like a good one because it can set up Substitute and then repeatedly refresh Rain. Scarf Pikachu actually sounds boss, as like a revenge killer or something. lol i'm dumb, just run Galvantula. Aegislash is a good support option, what with Wide Guard support.

Last edited:
No, you need light ball on pikachu or you don't use pikachu lol
Mm, now that I look at it, his offensive power is pretty trash. Good thing the last event gave us Light Balls. I'm thinking Tailwind support might be necessary, if you're running Pikachu. Now that I think about it though, why not just run Galvantula? It's quite fast, and it can take on Hydreigon. Volcarona isn't a problem because rain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)