[Online Competition] Scrappy Skirmish

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

A new competition has been decided by popularity vote! All Pokemon that have been ranked in all Doubles competitions in 2015 are banned along with the usual banlist
Rewards: 1000 Pokemiles after winning or losing at least one battle (if you are removed from the ranking you will not get any Pokemiles)

Compatible Games: Pokemon Omega Ruby, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Entry Date: Nov. 5 (5:00 GMT) ~ Nov. 12 (23:59 GMT)

Competition Date: Nov. 13 (0:00 GMT) ~ Nov 15 (23:59 GMT)

Rules: Double Battle
Bring 6 Choose 4
Level 50 (Pokemon under level 50 will retain their level)
20 minutes per match, 90 second team preview, 60 second turns
10 battles per day (can carry over to next day, each day ends midnight GMT)
Battle Spot Clauses

Banned Pokemon: Non-Pentagon Pokemon as well as
- Mewtwo
- Mew
- Lugia
- Ho-oh
- Celebi
- Kyogre
- Groudon
- Rayquaza
- Jirachi
- Deoxys
- Dialga
- Palkia
- Giratina
- Phione
- Manaphy
- Darkrai
- Shaymin
- Arceus
- Victini
- Reshiram
- Zekrom
- Kyurem
- Keldeo
- Meloetta
- Genesect
- Xerneas
- Yveltal
- Zygarde
- Diancie
- Hoopa

- Venusaur
- Charizard
- Pikachu
- Gengar
- Kangaskhan
- Jolteon
- Lanturn
- Ampharos
- Suicune
- Tyranitar
- Ludicolo
- Gardevoir
- Mawile
- Manectric
- Salamence
- Luxray
- Garchomp
- Electivire
- Rotom
- Heatran
- Cresselia
- Emolga
- Amoonguss
- Galvantula
- Eelektross
- Stunfisk
- Bisharp
- Hydreigon
- Terrakion
- Thundurus
- Landorus
- Greninja
- Talonflame
- Aegislash
- Heliolisk
- Sylveon

Discuss!

Despite the poster, Psyduck, Farfetch'd, and Scraggy will most likely not be viable options for this competition.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since it'll probably be a pain to go through the list of pokemon to make sure that it's allowed, I'm going to compile a list of viable Pokemon here. If you guys think something should be added, tag me and give me a good enough reason to put it on this list.

Viable Pokemon
Rain Related:

Intimidate Related:

Physical Attackers:

Special Attackers:

Mixed/Capable of both:

Support:

Trick Room Related:

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Are they banning all forms of Lando and Rotom again?

Kind of surprised this one won since it was (almost) just a special ladder.

So basically this is like the special format from not that long ago but with some electric types from pikachu cup banned?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So many things I have to say, not many good... Clearly our poll here wasn't an accurate representation of the general public taking part in the vote since Underdog Doubles came in dead last!! I have no idea how this won over 'No Megas' or 'Anything Goes Triples' which I'd have thought would get more votes from randoms just for sounding cool. Not to mention we already had a full special season ruleset very similar to this like super recently...

I'm really sick of Double Battle competitions

Psyduck, Farfetch'd and Scraggy are the dumbest fucking choices for the banner mascots. Like seriously why

If I play I'll probably try rain out first. There are probably a heap of good blogs with special season 11 teams that you can steal. The only thing from the top 12 that's banned in this is Hydra so......

So many things I have to say, not many good... Clearly our poll here wasn't an accurate representation of the general public taking part in the vote since Underdog Doubles came in dead last!! I have no idea how this won over 'No Megas' or 'Anything Goes Triples' which I'd have thought would get more votes from randoms just for sounding cool. Not to mention we already had a full special season ruleset very similar to this like super recently...

Psyduck, Farfetch'd and Scraggy are the dumbest fucking choices for the banner mascots. Like seriously why

If I play I'll probably try rain out first. There are probably a heap of good blogs with special season 11 teams that you can steal. The only thing from the top 12 that's banned in this is Hydra so......
I feel ya bro. But the problem with rain is that literally everyone's going to try it. It's going to be very popular, to the point where rain might have to have a counter to rain.
Since it'll probably be a pain to go through the list of pokemon to make sure that it's allowed, I'm going to compile a list of viable Pokemon here. If you guys think something should be added, tag me and give me a good enough reason to put it on this list.

Viable Pokemon <WIP>
Rain Related:

Intimidate Related:

Physical Attackers:

Special Attackers:

Mixed Attackers:

Support:
imo move Virizion back to Physical. It has a lot of trouble running a viable mixed set. I actually do wanna try Virizion this format, because again - rain will be a thing, no doubt about it.

Y

Viable Pokemon <WIP>
Rain Related:

Intimidate Related:

Physical Attackers:

Special Attackers:

Mixed Attackers:

Support:
You should add M-Altaria to physic and special attackers. It's the only pixilate user in this format. It has excellent stats in offence and defense, has the ability physical, special or mixed, and has cloud nine to remove weather.

Lol Pikachu's banned xD

Since Metagross destroyed this format's ladder in Special 11, he'll likely see play again.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
English name for the competition was revealed as Scrappy Skirmish, which still doesn't make a lot of sense but okay. Can't say I'm interested in seeing this again, though there are some notable changes, such as Suicune actually being banned. but why are people still using Greninja so much Pikachu Cup bans are silly but there is still one semi-relevant ban in the form of Manectric (pretty sure Rotom was in Top 12 of one of the International Challenges), and while it's not that good it would have fit nicely with the rain going around.

Hariyama, Porygon2 and Aromatisse look decent for Trick Room, though Gardevoir and Mawile being banned kinda limits their options for a Mega besides Camerupt who hates rain. Mega Lopunny, Swampert (Mega and non-Mega), Aerodactyl, Rhyperior (hates rain) and Machamp all look like interesting choices too. Not a lot of interesting new Megas that stand out except maybe Altaria (Lucario? Gyarados? Gallade? idk) but when Metagross is around and all of its biggest threats are gone I guess you don't need a lot of Megas to choose from.

I'm actually not surprised this won (although I didn't see the thread you're referring to). A lot of players are tired of seeing the same 10 Pokes in every comp and those are generally the most popular Pokes on Smogon.

I'm actually glad it won too. It means participants will have to get creative in team composition rather than just spamming the same 10 Pokes everyone else uses.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been playing Mega Beedrill a little bit in regular VGC15 lately and it's been doing okay (don't judge me I wanted to shake things up for myself - boring format), but here it looks really good based on the sheer number of things on DW's list that it flat-out beats, or else gets free hits on. Clefairy, Clefable, Togekiss, Mega Altaria, Gothitelle, Abomasnow, Serperior, Lati@s, Azumarill (with some investment to take Aqua Jet), Breloom, Lopunny, Whimsicott, Aromatisse, Weavile, and Virizion all fold to either Poison Jab or U-Turn, and a bunch of others get cleaned up nicely by Drill Run after some weakening (Metagross, Entei and Lucario being the main offenders here). Without all of VGC's most popular Flying-types being around to hamper it (looking at you, Landorus and Talonflame) it seems like a nice offensive cleaner to have in a lot of games. I'm definitely trying it :]

I've been playing Mega Beedrill a little bit in regular VGC15 lately and it's been doing okay (don't judge me I wanted to shake things up for myself - boring format), but here it looks really good based on the sheer number of things on DW's list that it flat-out beats, or else gets free hits on. Clefairy, Clefable, Togekiss, Mega Altaria, Gothitelle, Abomasnow, Serperior, Lati@s, Azumarill (with some investment to take Aqua Jet), Breloom, Lopunny, Whimsicott, Aromatisse, Weavile, and Virizion all fold to either Poison Jab or U-Turn, and a bunch of others get cleaned up nicely by Drill Run after some weakening (Metagross, Entei and Lucario being the main offenders here). Without all of VGC's most popular Flying-types being around to hamper it (looking at you, Landorus and Talonflame) it seems like a nice offensive cleaner to have in a lot of games. I'm definitely trying it :]
PSA: put 36 Defense EVs into it so it can live pretty much all the viable priority users in this format (I refer to Azumarill, Scizor, etc.) Speaking of, what do you guys think of Magnezone? It sounds promising - can demolish a lot of the things in this format, particularly things that Beedrill can't one-shot. Smeargle could end up being a monster, what with Dark Void and Sticky Web.

I am also a little disappointed this won the vote. An example of how unorganized the banlist is, is that raikou and zapdos are still allowed, only because they were banned from pikachu cup, and as others pointed out random electric types are banned. I might try a sun team even though ninetales is the only pokemon with drought and it isn't very good, but I faced a few interesting sunteams in the primal battle that I want to try myself. Anyone know when this format will get onto PS or if there can only be one battle spot competition ladder at a time?

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I went through and checked that list against the banlist and the only four on that table which are banned in this competition are Hydreigon, Ludicolo, Venusaur and Manectric (#4, #9, #13 and #34). Other than that it's good I think n_n

What are the best megas here? I like to have 2 in a bring 6 pick 4 format. I'm thinking of using metagross and hyper voice altaria. Swampert is probably the choice for rain teams, and heracross for tailwind. I could see myself using gyarados, scizor, or pidgeot too.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What are the best megas here? I like to have 2 in a bring 6 pick 4 format. I'm thinking of using metagross and hyper voice altaria. Swampert is probably the choice for rain teams, and heracross for tailwind. I could see myself using gyarados, scizor, or pidgeot too.
I think you just listed them all

ethan06 mentioned Beedrill. I'm considering him as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)