Doubles Ogerpon-Wellspring (GP 0/1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe

is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
[SET]
Bulky Attacker (Ogerpon-Wellspring) (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 200 HP / 124 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech / Power Whip / Grassy Glide
- Follow Me / Encore / Swords Dance
- Spiky Shield / Encore

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Ivy Cudgel is a strong STAB option that hits common threats like Landorus, Incineroar, and Diancie super effectively and threatens an OHKO on Flutter Mane, while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets.
  • Ogerpon-W has quite a few options for its Grass-type STAB attack to hit Water-resistant foes like Palafin, Volcanion, and opposing Ogerpon-W. Horn Leech has respectable power in addition to giving Ogerpon-W a way to sustain itself, which can be helpful considering how crucial its health is. Power Whip a stronger option, allowing Ogerpon-W to hit some targets harder than it would with Ivy Cudgel such as Tyranitar and Ursaluna.
  • Follow Me leverages Ogerpon-W's good typing to support its team and shield its teammates from threatening attacks and status moves, with Water Absorb allowing it to heal from Water-type attacks such as Palafin's Jet Punch and Volcanion's Steam Eruption. Encore punishes Fake Out, Protect, and speed control moves, forcing the Encore target to switch out or repeatedly use a detrimental move, generating momentum for Ogerpon-W's team.
  • Ogerpon-W usually uses Spiky Shield, but on faster-paced teams it might opt drop this for Encore due to the utility of Follow Me being desired in addition to Encore's potential to swing the momentum of a game.
  • In addition to the usual benefits, Ogerpon-W gains +1 Special Defense upon Terastallizing, considerably improving its matchups against Flutter Mane and Deoxys-A.
  • The given EV spread lets Ogerpon-W outspeed Landorus and survive a Tera Stellar Chien-Pao Icicle Crash, with the rest of the EVs going into Attack to allow Power Whip to OHKO maximum HP Flutter Mane. Alternatively, an EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 72 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used to survive a Choice Band Tera Normal Extreme Speed from Dragonite with Sword of Ruin active or a Choice Specs Tera Fairy Moonblast from maximum Special Attack Flutter Mane while still outspeeding Smeargle and Modest Glimmora.
  • Tornadus makes a great partner for Ogerpon-W, as it provides Prankster Tailwind support it and threatens Grass-types Ogerpon-W can't touch such as Rillaboom and opposing Ogerpon-W with Bleakwind Storm, and it can even strengthen Ivy Cudgel with Rain Dance. Flutter Mane threatens out Dragon-types like Baxcalibur and Raging Bolt that resist Ogerpon-W's STAB combination, and it appreciates the potential Follow Me support Ogerpon-W provides to draw strong priority attacks like Kingambit's Sucker Punch and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide away from it. Setup Pokemon such as Swords Dance Kingambit appreciate Ogerpon-W providing both Follow Me and Encore support to generate setup opportunities for them by either redirecting attacks or shutting down an opposing Pokemon.
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/zoe.531334/
Quality Checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/ryo-yamada2001.192134/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/qsns.230771/
Grammar Checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/stupidflandrs48.633500/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
comment
requires elaboration/rewrite
add
remove

[SET]
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Spiky Shield / Encore

[SET COMMENTS]
  • what is the use case for ogerpon-w? what makes it so good and deserving of a spot on any given team? how would you summarize ogerpon-w in one bullet point, basically. a point like this ties together the analysis from the top
  • Ivy Cudgel gives Ogerpon-W is a strong STAB option that hits common metagame threats like Landorus-I, Incineroar, and Diancie super effectively, threatens a OHKO on Flutter Mane, and also deals while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets. and threatening a OHKO on Flutter Mane.
  • Ogerpon-W has quite a few options for its Grass-type (-type is no caps) STAB attack to hit Pokemon who can resist or blank Ivy Cudgel Water-resistant foes like Palafin, Volcanion, or ('and' instead?) opposing Ogerpon-W. Horn Leech has respectable power on its own, but also and gives Ogerpon-W a way to sustain itself, which can be vital considering how crucial its health is (in what way? there's no pokemon for whom health is not crucial, if there is anything particular to keeping waterpon healthy you can expand on it here, otherwise remove). Power Whip is the strongest of the three its strongest option, allowing Ogerpon-W to hit some targets (like?) harder than it would with Ivy Cudgel, but has the drawback of an imperfect accuracy, which can be devastating. Grassy Glide is the weakest of the three by far, but, when paired with Rillaboom, provides a priority option for Ogerpon-W, allowing it to pick off faster targets, such as Flutter Mane or Deoxys-A, before they can attack.
"When paired with Rillaboom, Grassy Glide provides a priority option which lets Ogerpon-W pick off faster targets, such as Flutter Mane and Deoxys-A, at the cost of having much lower base power." is more succinct imo
  • Follow Me allows leverages Ogerpon-W's good typing to support its team and shield its teammates, like Landorus-I and Flutter Mane (dont find whatever teammates it protects too relevant; would rather see particularly important moves it redirects like amogus spore into its natural immunity), from threatening attacks and status moves. attacks that would otherwise significantly damage or KO them, leveraging its good defensive typing to great effect. Encore punishes Fake Out, Protect, and speed control moves other potentially detrimental moves to be locked into on the opposing team, forcing the Encore target to switch out or use a detrimental move, and generating which generates momentum for Ogerpon-W's team (tho is the momentum point rly necessary?). Swords Dance greatly increases Ogerpon-W's its own offensive presence, allowing it to threaten a OHKO or 2HKO threatening KOs on most of the tier and makes making excellent use of Grassy Glide at +2 due to Swords Dance making up for Grassy Gilide's lower power. in what situation/team composition would you opt into what respective option, though?
  • Spiky Shield allows Ogerpon-W to buy a turn for itself to allow its team to reposition to help it or stall out the final turns of Tailwind or Trick Room, while also punishing contact moves aimed at it, such as Fake Out. Encore can also be run in this slot if Spiky Shield isn't as desired and Ogerpon-W is already running one of Follow Me or Swords Dance. again, in what situation or team composition would you favor one or the other option? you could remove the protect explanation by saying "Usually Ogerpon-W uses Spiky Shield, but [in scenario] it runs Encore because..."
  • While the Wellspring Mask is necessary to use Ogerpon-W, it does increase the power of its moves by 20% further increasing its offensive capabilities. dex info Water Absorb improves Ogerpon-W's defensive capabilities on the other hand, allowing it to blank and heal from attacks such as Palafin's Jet Punch and Volcanion's Steam Eruption. could add this to the follow me explanation rather than making its whole own point tbh
  • Ogerpon-W is locked to Tera Water, dex info-ish however, in addition to the normal benefits of Terastallzation Terastallization, it gains +1 Special Defense, considerably decreasing the damage taken from strong attacks like Flutter Mane's Moonblast or Landorus-I's Earth Power (you take more damage actually because you drop your grass-type and thus your ground-type resistance), allowing it to potentially KO them in return.
I'd rewrite it as follows:
"In addition to the usual benefits, Ogerpon-W gains +1 Special Defense upon Terastallizing/Terastallization, considerably improving its matchup into Flutter Mane and [other strong special attacker that doesnt hit it SE]"
  • The given EV spread lets Ogerpon-W outspeed Landorus-I while also being able to live a and live a Tera Stellar Chien-Pao (chien-pao is hyphenated) Icicle Crash, with the rest of the EVs going to Attack, allowing Power Whip Ogerpon-W to OHKO max HP Flutter Mane with Power Whip.
  • Tornadus makes a great partner for Ogerpon-W, as it not only provides Prankster Tailwind to support it, but also and threatens untouchable Grass-types who would otherwise wall Ogerpon-W, such as Rillaboom and opposing Ogerpon-W,(rc) with Bleakwind Storm, and can even strengthen Ivy Cudgel with Rain Dance. Flutter Mane appreciates the potential Follow Me support Ogerpon-W provides to draw strong priority attacks like Kingambit's Sucker Punch and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide away from it, while it threatens out Dragon-types like Baxcalibur and Raging Bolt who resist Ogerpon-W's STAB combination. (i'd swap these points; Flutter is a good teammate because it hits dragon-types, while ogerpon supports it either through redirection support -- tho its not so important for flutter to have this support imo -- or by adding even more offensive pressure on the board) Rillaboom enables sets with Grassy Glide,(rc) in addition to providing Fake Out support, at the risk of stacking weaknesses against Tornadus and Sludge Bomb Landorus-I. for Ogerpon-W and potentially overloading their shared checks, such as Tornadus. Setup Pokemon, such as Kingambit, appreciate Ogerpon-W providing both Follow Me and Encore support to generate setup opportunities for them by either redirecting attacks or shutting down an opposing Pokemon.
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality Checked by:

Grammer Grammar Checked by:
some things i noticed is that you use the pokemon name and 'allowed' a lot. this is not overtly wrong but its easier to read when there's some other options mixed through
the only thing that peeves me is some uses use of 'but', as they imply you're going to debunk the previous statement, but then you actually bolster them. e.g.
"Horn Leech has respectable power on its own, but also gives Ogerpon-W a way to sustain itself" -> its power is respectable but (as a reader i think to myself here comes the bad side of the move) it also heals you up a bit
"as it not only provides Prankster Tailwind to support it, but also threatens Grass-types who would otherwise wall Ogerpon-W" -> whereas this is just an unnecessary contraption when you could say 'it provides Tailwind support and threatens Grass-types' which is less confusing

anyhow the contents of the analysis themselves are good so you dont have to heed my words. 1/2

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature

mention this bulkier spread, giving you discretion on spread specifics but this is one i've used
- dnite espeed cb tera normal sword of ruin
- tera fairy 252 spa timid specs moonblast from fluppy
- smeargle & modest glimmora speed

also on reflection i have not seen either SD or glide in forever. i think it is really awkward to justify rn with how much intimidate is in the tier. would prefer cutting both of these.

otherwise analysis good, 2/2

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
We do a little amchecking
Additions Removals Comments/silly nitpicks

Punctuation Key (in order of appearance):
(RC) = Removed Comma
(RA) = Removed Apostrophe

[SET]
Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Spiky Shield / Encore

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Ivy Cudgel is a strong STAB option that hits common threats like Landorus-I Landorus, Incineroar, and Diancie super effectively(RC) and threatens a an OHKO on Flutter Mane(RC) while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets.
  • Ogerpon-W has quite a few options for its Grass-type STAB attack to hit Water-resistant foes like Palafin, Volcanion, and opposing Ogerpon-W. Horn Leech has respectable power on its own in addition to giving Ogerpon-W a way to sustain itself, which can be vital considering how crucial its health is. (vital and crucial are redundant here, rephrase) Power Whip is its strongest a stronger (technically it ties with Wood Hammer) option, allowing Ogerpon-W to hit some targets harder than it would with Ivy Cudgel(RC) such as Tyranitar and Ursaluna.
  • Follow Me leverage(RA)s Ogerpon-W Ogerpon-W's good typing to support its team and shield its teammates from threatening attacks and status moves, with Water Absorb allowing it to blank and heal from Water-type attacks such as Palafin's Jet Punch or and Volcanion's Steam Eruption. Encore punishes Fake Out, Protect, and speed control moves, forcing the Encore target to switch out or repeatedly use a detrimental move, which generates generating momentum for Ogerpon-W's team.
  • Usually Ogerpon-W usually uses Spiky Shield, but on faster-paced teams it might opt for Encore due to the utility of Follow Me being desired in addition to Encore's potential to swing the momentum of a game.
  • In addition to the usual benefits, Ogerpon-W gains +1 Special Defense upon Terastallizing/Terastallization (pick one of these words, remove the other), considerably improving its matchup into matchups against Flutter Mane and Deoxys-A.
  • The given EV spread lets Ogerpon-W outspeed Landorus-I Landorus and live survive a Tera Stellar Chien-Pao Icicle Crash, with the rest of the EVs going to Attack, allowing into Attack to allow Power Whip to OHKO max HP Flutter Mane. Alternatively, an EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 72 Spe with an Adamant Nature can be used to live survive a Choice Band Tera Normal Extreme Speed from Dragonite with Sword of Ruin active or a Choice Specs Tera Fairy Moonblast from 252 Special Attack (rephrase to "max Special Attack" or "252 SpA") Flutter Mane(RC) while still outspeeding Smeargle and Modest Glimmora.
  • Tornadus makes a great partner for Ogerpon-W, as it provides Prankster Tailwind support it and threatens untouchable Grass-types Ogerpon-W can't touch such as Rillaboom and opposing Ogerpon-W with Bleakwind Storm, and it can even strengthen Ivy Cudgel with Rain Dance. Flutter Mane threatens out Dragon-types like Baxcalibur and Raging Bolt who that resist Ogerpon-W's STAB combination, while and it appreciates the potential Follow Me support Ogerpon-W provides to draw strong priority attacks like Kingambit's Sucker Punch and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide away from it. Setup Pokemon(RC) such as Swords Dance Kingambit(RC) (slightly a QC thing I know, the point is just make sure to specify the set when you mention setup) appreciate Ogerpon-W providing both Follow Me and Encore support to generate setup opportunities for them by either redirecting attacks or shutting down an opposing Pokemon.
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality Checked by:
Grammar Checked by:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done credit both of us

[SET]
Needs a set name (Ogerpon-Wellspring) (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Jolly Nature
- Ivy Cudgel
- Spiky Shield / Encore

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Ivy Cudgel is a strong STAB option that hits common threats like Landorus-I Landorus, Incineroar, and Diancie super effectively(RC) and threatens a an OHKO on Flutter Mane(RC) while also dealing solid damage to neutral targets.
  • Ogerpon-W has quite a few options for its Grass-type STAB attack to hit Water-resistant foes like Palafin, Volcanion, and opposing Ogerpon-W. Horn Leech has respectable power on its own in addition to giving Ogerpon-W a way to sustain itself, which can be vital considering how crucial its health is. (vital and crucial are redundant here, rephrase) Power Whip is its strongest a stronger (technically it ties with Wood Hammer) option, allowing Ogerpon-W to hit some targets harder than it would with Ivy Cudgel(RC) such as Tyranitar and Ursaluna.
  • Follow Me leverage(RA)s Ogerpon-W Ogerpon-W's good typing to support its team and shield its teammates from threatening attacks and status moves, with Water Absorb allowing it to blank and heal from Water-type attacks such as Palafin's Jet Punch or and Volcanion's Steam Eruption. Encore punishes Fake Out, Protect, and speed control moves, forcing the Encore target to switch out or repeatedly use a detrimental move, which generates generating (either works here) momentum for Ogerpon-W's team.
  • Usually Ogerpon-W usually uses Spiky Shield, but on faster-paced teams it might opt to drop this for (optional but encore is a move 3 slash so clarifying might be good) for Encore due to the utility of Follow Me being desired in addition to Encore's potential to swing the momentum of a game.
  • In addition to the usual benefits, Ogerpon-W gains +1 Special Defense upon Terastallizing/Terastallization (pick one of these words, remove the other), considerably improving its matchup into matchups against Flutter Mane and Deoxys-A.
  • The given EV spread lets Ogerpon-W outspeed Landorus-I Landorus and live survive a Tera Stellar Chien-Pao Icicle Crash, with the rest of the EVs going to Attack, allowing into Attack to allow Power Whip to OHKO max maximum HP Flutter Mane. Alternatively, an EV spread of 252 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 72 SpD / 72 Spe with an Adamant Nature nature can be used to live survive a Choice Band Tera Normal Extreme Speed from Dragonite with Sword of Ruin active or a Choice Specs Tera Fairy Moonblast from 252 Special Attack (you can say maxinum Special Attack if you want) Flutter Mane(RC) while still outspeeding Smeargle and Modest Glimmora.
  • Tornadus makes a great partner for Ogerpon-W, as it provides Prankster Tailwind support it and threatens untouchable Grass-types Ogerpon-W can't touch such as Rillaboom and opposing Ogerpon-W with Bleakwind Storm, and it can even strengthen Ivy Cudgel with Rain Dance. Flutter Mane threatens out Dragon-types like Baxcalibur and Raging Bolt who that resist Ogerpon-W's STAB combination, while and it appreciates the potential Follow Me support Ogerpon-W provides to draw strong priority attacks like Kingambit's Sucker Punch and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide away from it. Setup Pokemon(RC) such as Swords Dance Kingambit(RC) (slightly a QC thing I know, the point is just make sure to specify the set when you mention setup) appreciate Ogerpon-W providing both Follow Me and Encore support to generate setup opportunities for them by either redirecting attacks or shutting down an opposing Pokemon.
[SET CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality Checked by:
Grammar Checked by:

StupidFlandrs48
- "STAB attack" was correct here - the format is always "x-type STAB move/attack/option" not just STAB.
- Both "generating" and "which generates" are functionally the same, so there's no real need to change one to the other. Both (verb)ing and which (verb)s are equally valid.
- Maximum/minimum should be written out fully.
- The word "nature" isn't capitalised.
- The comment suggesting 252 SpA would be incorrect because stats should be fully written out unless they're listed in EV spreads. Both 252 Special Attack and maximum (not max) Special Attack would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)