Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I got the PCI London office address if you guys want to do a UK petition for 2 regionals. :P

Wichu I seriously need to meet you. I didn't see you at the qualifiers, don't think I saw Zog.

Yeah anyway, the petition can be done if you want.

I'm getting Weavile JP and US one soon! :D

Hi, I've registered just to 100% confirm this(though I've been lurking for quite a few months).

Despite what the official website, Bulbapedia and youtube say, Kazuyuki Tsuji's team was the one with Ludicolo, Toxicroak, Metagross, Snorlax, Salamence and Empoleon and NOT the one with Yanmega, Hippowdon, Rhyperior, Shedinja, Moltres and Zapdos. Correct?

I'm just asking cause Ludicolo has had a special place in my heart ever since the character of Mirror B in Pokemon Colosseum, and it'd be pretty cool if I knew with 100% certainty that it is the world champions lead.

My brother's finally back :) He got me a Darkrai cap, which is quite nice. I'd rather have had one of those plushie hats, but apparently they only sold them at the 2007 championships :(

Anyway, he said that he got pretty bad luck in his battles; two of his Pokemon had 80% accurate moves (Stone Edge and Hydro Pump), and he ended up missing 2 or 3 times in each battle :\ Fortunately, the only exception was his battle against the Japanese national champion, who he managed to beat :P

To clear things up, Kazuyuki Tsuji was the winner, and Tasuku Mano was the runner-up. Here are their teams:

Kazuyuki Tsuji's Team (GoodStuffs/Rain?)

Empoleon@Wacan Berry
Surf, Hydro Pump, Protect, Icy Wind

Toxicroak@Focus Sash
Cross Chop, Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Taunt

Snorlax@Custap Berry
Return, Earthquake, Protect, SelfDestruct

Salamence@Sitrus Berry
Draco Meteor, Heat Wave, Protect, Rain Dance

Ludicolo@Lum Berry
Fake Out, Grass Knot, ????, ????

Metagross@Choice Scarf? (never seen)
????, ????, ????, ????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasuku Mano's Team (GoodStuffs/Sunny Day)

Zapdos@Leftovers
Discharge, Heat Wave, Detect, Substitute

Yanmega@Life Orb
Bug Buzz, Hidden Power (Ice 70), Detect, Swagger

Rhyperior@???
Rock Slide, Earthquake, Protect, Hammer Arm

Moltres@Focus Sash
Flamethrower, Air Slash, Hidden Power (idk type), ????

Shedinja@Lum Berry/Focus Sash (He switched around)
X-Scissor, Shadow Sneak, Protect, Sunny Day

Hippowdon@???
????, ????, ????, ????

Yeah I know but that's not really legit. My method allows for you to do it on the cart. Plus I have some info on Colosseum. But I guess no one cares about boring stuff like that huh? Lol.
If what I've heard about Colosseum's RNG is true, it's pretty hard to abuse correctly. Still if you have any info...

To clear things up, Kazuyuki Tsuji was the winner, and Tasuku Mano was the runner-up. Here are their teams:

Kazuyuki Tsuji's Team (GoodStuffs/Rain?)

Empoleon@Wacan Berry/Lum Berry (He switched around)
Surf, Hydro Pump, Protect, Icy Wind

Toxicroak@Focus Sash
Cross Chop, Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Taunt

Snorlax@Custap Berry
Return, ThunderPunch, Protect, SelfDestruct

Salamence@Sitrus Berry
Draco Meteor, Heat Wave, Protect, Hydro Pump

Ludicolo@??? (Never seen)
????, ????, ????, ????

Metagross@Choice Scarf (Never seen)
????, ????, ????, ????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tasuku Mano's Team (GoodStuffs/Sunny Day)

Zapdos@Leftovers
Discharge, ????, Detect, ????

Yanmega@Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Bug Buzz, Hidden Power (Ice 70), Detect, Swagger

Rhyperior@???
Rock Slide, Hammer Arm, Earthquake, Protect

Moltres@Focus Sash
Flamethrower, Air Slash, ????, ????

Shedinja@??? (Lum Berry/Focus Sash)
X-Scissor, Shadow Sneak, Protect, Sunny Day

Hippowdon@??? (Never seen)
????, ????, ????, ????
Custap was banned, IIRC. I'll fill in some missing stuff.

What 616 said. Mattj asked Mike the morning of the tourny and he said that for worlds cutsap was allowed. I also remembered in the finals (or was that top 4) where his snorlax cutsap activated and targeted (kingdra)?

They changed it for worlds. PBB checked.

Yeah, I specifically went up to Mike during one of the semi final matches and asked if it was unbanned for Worlds, and he said something like this: "For the qualifiers, Custap was banned, but we unbanned it for worlds since it was not readily available until now."

Custap was banned, IIRC. I'll fill in some missing stuff.

From http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/rules/wrg.html

Each Pokémon in a player’s party may use held items, though no two Pokémon in the party may hold the same item. Items allowed include held items from Pokémon™ Platinum Version and earlier video games, including Berries 1–64. The Soul Dew item may not be used.
Custap Berry is Berry #62. They allowed Custap Berry since it was given out with the 11th Movie Regigigas, the TRU Regigigias, and the village Regigigas (TPCi thinks that the U.K. is Europe). For whatever reason, Jaboca Berry (Berry #63) and Rowap Berry (Berry #64) were allowed, even though they couldn't be obtained outside of Japan. Maybe TPCi expects players to trade on Wifi/trade with Japs at Worlds?

funny thing is , that (atleast i can say for Germany) there was no Distribution with the Custap Berry yet , its still coming on September.

kinda sucks though , that they didnt tell anything to the players about this "little" Change.

Looks like I fail at reading video descriptions. Edited.

and I don't think the Snorlax had Thunderpunch, since the yellowish color move was targeting all three pokemon and not just one in the third video, at around 6:50, so it must have been Earthquake or something.

This year's VGC had a terrible way to pick participants in the tournament, and even those who were lucky enough to be selected admit this. Numerous suggestions have been proffered to remedy this, my favorite being that the number of participants allowed in is raised, or perhaps no limit is set. Swiss format can be used in the preliminary rounds, as it is flexible as to how many players it can accommodate. Too many people traveled long distances only to be turned down. I travelled only slightly more than half the distance that IPL and OmegaDonut did (1800 miles as opposed to 3100), and I felt immensely disappointed. I can only imagine what it would have felt like to be them, to travel such a distance and spend so much money, only to not get selected. In that way, I was glad to see them succeed, but at the same time, I could feel only the nagging thoughts of what could have been.

Swiss at the qualifiers would be extremely cool actually. Hard to implement, though. Though it'd DEFINITELY make it a lot fairer- if you got haxed out of this year's tournament (I basically did but I shouldn't have let it happen), no doubt it's left a real bitter taste. One-match Swiss, where instead of doing a best-of-3 you just fight one game, would be better. The hax is still prominent, but it's not all over if you lose one game. Still harder to set up than single elimination, but it makes for a much better day out. Also if earning money is an issue for the VGC tournaments, TCPI can always have a stall selling merchandise at every regional. I'd buy a pokédoll or something, easy. And I'm sure many other people would. The money is clearly an issue; there's no real income from the games to fuel tournaments, as opposed to the TGC where everyone needs to buy new decks every year.

The money is clearly an issue; there's no real income from the games to fuel tournaments, as opposed to the TGC where everyone needs to buy new decks every year.
They do pretty much the same thing for VGC; they change the games allowed in the tournament every year (Diamond/Pearl for 2008, Platinum for 2009, HeartGold/SoulSilver for 2010), so at the very least, all hopeful participants need to buy a new game every year to play.

Just from watching the videos...

I confirm that Toxicroak had Taunt. Moltres had Hidden Power (video 1, 5:35). I also confirm that Snorlax had Earthquake, not T-punch (video 2, 4:17).

Edit: I guess we never see Moltres or Zapdos' other moves. Maybe there's other videos from Mano's point of view (move selection, etc).

Swiss at the qualifiers would be extremely cool actually. Hard to implement, though. Though it'd DEFINITELY make it a lot fairer- if you got haxed out of this year's tournament (I basically did but I shouldn't have let it happen), no doubt it's left a real bitter taste. One-match Swiss, where instead of doing a best-of-3 you just fight one game, would be better. The hax is still prominent, but it's not all over if you lose one game. Still harder to set up than single elimination, but it makes for a much better day out. Also if earning money is an issue for the VGC tournaments, TCPI can always have a stall selling merchandise at every regional. I'd buy a pokédoll or something, easy. And I'm sure many other people would. The money is clearly an issue; there's no real income from the games to fuel tournaments, as opposed to the TGC where everyone needs to buy new decks every year.
Definitely. I'm also a competitive TCG player, and every tournament we ever have is Swiss rounds until top cuts, at which point it becomes best 2 out of 3 single elimination. There is no cap on the number of participants allowed at any of the open tournaments we have, except for Nationals, which still very high for each of our THREE age groups: 10 and under (Juniors), 11-14 (Seniors), and 15+ (Masters).

We really have no complaints at all about our system. I think the only possible problem with this for VGC would be the number of DS stations they had, but they could just as easily have competitors using their own DS, unless they're worried about them being modded somehow. Also, they do make a bit of money from VGC tournaments by requiring everyone who even hopes to participate to have the most recent game, i.e. Platinum for this year's tournament (outside of Europe), and most likely HG/SS for next year. It's definitely not as much money as they make from the TCG since the competitive player base is so enormous, and almost every year, they cycle out older expansion sets in an effort to keep people buying the new ones (as well as to keep the game diverse), but it's something. If they ran the VGC tournaments more like the TCG ones, I think the participants would be exponentially more satisfied. It's a tried-and-true system that TPCi is very familiar and experienced with.

EDIT: Sixonesix covered the new game / money issue before me. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)