NU: doge

ok, i posted this on another website too, but it didn't got a rate there, so I'm just posting it here too >.<

(title sucks, ik)

Hey there. This team is my first attempt on the new fresh gen 6 NU. I wanted to use some new stuff in this tier that either dropped from RU or received huge buffs. better abuse this overpowered stuff before it gets banned :P anyway, this team is focusing heavily on offensive pressure and pivoting powers from typhlosion and lanturn as well as utilizing the support granbull gives to this team to set-up. both subs and stats

well, I wanted to make a team around the fairy dog and started out with a fairy-steel "core"

Both of them was psychically defensive and (almost) every special fire/water attacker could take on me with ease. I added lanturn as a special wall to take on the attackers already stated

Was a bit in lack of an offensive pokemon as my team was currently more stall rather than offense. I found out that vivlilon was a perfect addition as a quiver dancer and generally hard-hitter. my other team members could also perfectly support it with intimidate and a typhlosion check as well as making up for its somewhat terrible bulk. It also provided this nifty ground resistance which my team struggles a bit against

My team was really in lack of a revenge killer and speed as my only "fast" pokemon vivillon recuirs a turn to set up for outspending most of the meta and I was pretty much doomed if its sash were broken. Typhlosion was added for the already stated reasons + it can act as a wallbreaker to some extent with that eruption

Sticky web wrecked me so hard as that would mean typhlosion couldn't revenge kill and if SR was up too, my only single chance would be if this set up sweeper was psychical so i could intimidate/roar. Malamar is just extreme under sticky web on my side. it can also troll against defoggers :3

My problems against water and ground types was way to big and i had to get rid of something. replaced malmar with virizion as a broken poke overall and it could take on ground and water. opted for substitute over SD so it wasn't that vulnerable to status.

In-depth

Granbull @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Spd / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Roar / Fire Punch

Granbull was the first pokemon to enter this team and the one it was originally build around. before you guys starts to bitch about a defensive EV spread on a pokemon with such amazing attack, let me just say that thats exactly what I feel like is going to be granbull's niche this gen. with intimidate and a great defensive typing, granbull can stop almost every psychical attacker, force switches and therefore giving me huge momentum advantages. some examples on really popular mons in this metagame it can stop is Sawk, Virizion, Archeops and hell, even Durant to some extent if I opt for fire punch. whats also really great about this dog is its based coverage in Play Rough and Earthquake which is only resisted by Fletchinder (which granbull beats 1v1 anyway + it gets worn down quickly by SR) and Shedinja (lel)

Steelix @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SDef / 220 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Gyro Ball

Steelix is the second part of my defensive steel-fairy core. Maybe not the best as both is psychical defensive, but believe me: It works really great and stops every single psychical attacker. Stealth rock is absolutely necessary on this team to not only turn 3HKO's into 2HKO's but also to some extent free the pressure from lanturns shoulder in its job stopping fire types from wrecking. Roar is just a move necessary on every steelix so its not complete set-up bait. Guess it can also phaze teams weak to SR around. I believe both Earthquake and Gyro Ball is just as self-explained as Roar. Some people are stupid enough to switch in fire types on my health steelix. That means I can endure a hit with sturdy and revenge hard with EQ so that Typhlosion gets an easier time sweeping

Vivillon @ Focus Sash

Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder

Im really not sure if i play Vivillon right, but I have found great success in my strategy. This is my usual lead except from situations like if the opponent has a priority lead or if they are familiar with my strategy and leads with its counters. anyway, Im trying to start an early game sweep immediately. this becomes much easier as many peoples lead with their Stealth Rocker due to the fact that the tier is currently boiling over with fast and frail fire types. I will not let the rocks make my focus sash useless, so I use quiver dance when they set up rocks/web. then i can use it again for extreme powers and sweip or use sleep powder for another quiver dance without broken sash. this might sound a bit hard in theory, ye and it is. however, a +2 "accurate" hurricane is something not many pokemons wants to take and thats what makes vivillon so awesome and great. Guess it can also sweep mid-game if it use sleep powder on a defensive mon and set up dances. however, this can often be a bit risky as they might predict sleep powder and send in a status absorber or if they predict me predicting their predict and kill it when I quiver dance.

Lanturn @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb / Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SDef / 252 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic / Ice beam / Thunderbolt

Lanturn plays this extremely important role of being my fire check. this is maybe the most important member on this team due to as I already stated, how common fire types is in this metagame and they would completely wreck me if I hadn't included Lanturn. Im usually playing lanturn as a bulky pivot as it lures in grass types and switches to either Typhlosion or Vivillon and giving me momentum / open a sweep. Im usually keeping lanturn as well as typhlosion through the whole match as they are completely necessary to win if i fail to sweep with vivillon. It can also help my Steel-Fairy core against their problems with special attackers due to It's massive HP stat and useful SDef as well as using heal bell if Granbull gets the annoying burn by a scald. Im not so sure about the ability choice. the truth is that although Volt Absorb looks better on paper, Water Absorb really helps me against my problems with scald and is really unexpected. who in their right mind would hit lanturn with an electric move until they realize I have Water Absorb anyway? Steelix is immune to electric anyway btw, but I need suggestions from you for the ability choice. Im not so sure about the last move choice. My team really struggles against Seismitoad and my only chance is often to wear it down with Toxic and switching. Ice Beam however, can be used to predict a grass type coming, but if i can predict one, I might just as well use Volt Switch to Typhlosion unless this grass type is Torterra which Ice beam does get. then its T-Bolt if I comes in a situation where I want to hit with an electric move but also staying in.

Virizion @ Leftovers

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

Formely a malamar to get around my problems with sticky web, but I realized I can set up on sticky web users with vivillon and make up for the speed lost. I was also extremely annoyed with my problems with Seismitoad. I still struggle extremely against it especially if my opponent has something else to brush of Virizion's attacks. whatever, virizion was added to get around my problems with ground types as well as another Pokemon to tank special attacks. other than that, its more of a filler and was added as its simply just good on almost every team. Substitute makes it less vulnerable to status and gives it an easier time against fire types . i never get to use SD anyway. Stone Edge is more important than ever atm as it checks unscarfed Magmortar and Pyroar as well as Venomoth and Vivillon. all of them would have completely walled Virizion otherwise
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ok, as i said: better just abuse this thing before it gets banned. but really, typhlosion is my scarfer and believe me, Nothing switches in on an eruption at full health. nothing. and what does by unknown black magic is either walled by lanturn or quickly taken down by virizion. this set is common and easy to understand, so I'm not going to go in details. Altough I'm generally a fan of accuracy, i decided to choose Fire Blast over Flamethrower as the extra powers was really needed. Focus Blast is coverage, HP Grass is coverage Blah Blah Blah

Counters
seismitoad: imunne to volt switch and scald which gives me huge problems as lanturn must think twice. vivillon one shots it, but I'm 100% screwed if my opponent has a doublade too. my only chance against this one is to either lead with vivillon in the beginning and set up on it or toxic it when it switches in on
lanturn

weezing:
walls everyone except from typhlosion (which it has no business staying in on anyway) thanks to its ground resist. thinking of replacing either granbull or virizion because of this one

doublade: Sets up on every pokemon except from typhlosion. steelix roars it away, granbull can intimidate and then switch to lanturn hoping for a burn

gourgeist: makes me tilt with leech seed and subs. used to burn virizion though I use sub on it now. typho and vivillon wrecks it, but I'm dead if my opponent has seismitoad too

trying to get more replays, this is everything for now

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nualpha-120382989

hope you enjoyed this rmt. please rate

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You really need hazard control what with 2 SR weak mons and vulnerability to Sticky Web so an obvious fix to that is to use Shiftry over Virizion. Shiftry can support your team with Defog while also providing a nice check to the stuff you said threatens you: Seismitoad, Doublade, and Gourgeist (though admittedly, its frailty means it can't do it ~that~ reliably). Access to Sucker Punch also provides your team with a secondary revenge killer in addition to Typhlosion.

Also these next few changes are a bit arbitrary but I think Venomoth and Pyroar are worth considering over Vivilion and Typhlosion. Vivilion's main niche in the tier imo is its Flying-type STAB, but since your team already deals with Fightings / Bugs / Grasses relatively well I don't think it's all that necessary, so a Quiver passer would be much more beneficial support. It's also less weak to SR and absorbs TSpikes, which are added pluses. Pyroar, on the other hand, gives you another check to Ghost-types like Mismagius and Doublade, which is also really nice for your team to have.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Venomoth @ Insect Plate / Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

You really need hazard control what with 2 SR weak mons and vulnerability to Sticky Web so an obvious fix to that is to use Shiftry over Virizion. Shiftry can support your team with Defog while also providing a nice check to the stuff you said threatens you: Seismitoad, Doublade, and Gourgeist (though admittedly, its frailty means it can't do it ~that~ reliably). Access to Sucker Punch also provides your team with a secondary revenge killer in addition to Typhlosion.

Also these next few changes are a bit arbitrary but I think Venomoth and Pyroar are worth considering over Vivilion and Typhlosion. Vivilion's main niche in the tier imo is its Flying-type STAB, but since your team already deals with Fightings / Bugs / Grasses relatively well I don't think it's all that necessary, so a Quiver passer would be much more beneficial support. It's also less weak to SR and absorbs TSpikes, which are added pluses. Pyroar, on the other hand, gives you another check to Ghost-types like Mismagius and Doublade, which is also really nice for your team to have.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

Venomoth @ Insect Plate / Focus Sash
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Baton Pass

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower
eyyyyyy thanks man! I've had problems with hazards yeah and the other pokemons already mentioned. shiftry seems like a perfect way to deal with everyone of them. I had vivillon mainly because how weak I was to ground, but the only really used ground pokes is steelix, rydhon, seismitoad and golurk. all of them is dealth with by either shifty or lanturn, so i try it out. don't think I will consider the pyroar change though. mainly because I like typhlosion better >.<

for deterring hazards, you could also try an offensive xatu set which has the potential to beat all the pokemon you listed 1v1 with a combination of psyshock or psychic / heat wave / grass knot while maintaining a ground immunity. it's definitely not a solid way to handle doublade but ensures that it can't set up for free. if you're still worried about doublade then explore other setup sweepers or strong attackers over vivillon or venomoth since they give doublade an easier time setting up on you, like gorebyss perhaps

for deterring hazards, you could also try an offensive xatu set which has the potential to beat all the pokemon you listed 1v1 with a combination of psyshock or psychic / heat wave / grass knot while maintaining a ground immunity. it's definitely not a solid way to handle doublade but ensures that it can't set up for free. if you're still worried about doublade then explore other setup sweepers or strong attackers over vivillon or venomoth since they give doublade an easier time setting up on you, like gorebyss perhaps
That actually sounds like a really great idea, although I'm not sure which spot I should put I'm in. Guess I'm trying different things and see

Honestly just go with everything Dat Blast said and you should be good, but being me I will go with a different set of solutions to help you fix the team. This said I would like to make two different suggestions. I feel that the team is absurdly weak to ground types, and even with Vivillon and Virizion, it does not seem to help. On top of this, you lack a method of dealing with hazards, and stall pretty much just 6-0's you.

In order to first nullify the ground weakness a tad more, I reccomend using Offensive Xatu over Vivillon. This is because Vivillon really doesn't have the necessary bulk or typing to switch into even an immunity, and your team is simply too stealth rock and stall weak. By using Xatu, you bounce back hazards, status, and other residual damage to cripple and ruin stall, and have access to roost to more consistently check leads and ground types, acting as a good glue to the team.

I do agree about the change from Typhlosion to Scarf Pyroar. Pyroar is not only slightly faster, but it has the same offensive output. However, what sets them apart is that Typhlosion is a TERRIBLE revenge killer. The fact that it absolutely needs to rely on 2 Total Miss moves, a HP Dependant Move, and a weak Coverage move to revenge pokemon is depressing, and if it wants to reliably attack opponents it almost has to rely on fire blast, which as we all know hits 1/10 times.

Minor Changes:
Granbull: Offensive Support > Defensive on this team, so basically 252 Atk > 252 Def. Also based on the nature of the team I would opt to run Heal Bell on the set to help Lanturn with its 4MSS.
Lanturn: As I said, it lacks room to run Heal Bell, and I would just run Toxic and Ice Beam on the same set.

Nice one!

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 180 SAtk / 176 Spd / 152 HP
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hyper Voice

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i'd really like to echo Dat Blast's suggestion of Shiftry > Virizion, with additional reasoning: your current Virizion set is just dead weight for your team. it does pitiful damage against a number of Pokemon that are otherwise major issues for your team, and actually invites most of them in for free. for example, Doublade takes less damage than it takes from SR when switching into your Virizion set. Shiftry checks just about everything you want Virizion to check (though admittedly the faster threats like Pyroar are something you have to be wary of), including SD Water-types. even if you don't replace Virizion with Shiftry, i would consider changing out Virizion for another Pokemon or using a more effective set.

mm, agree with both of you. Shiftry was a really great addition to deal with ghosts and hazards. Started to use pyroar over typhlosion and the normal STAB really helped. I have yet to try out Xatu, but it does seem like a great addition against Weezing, Seismitoad and annoying stallers especially

Question : what will stop arbok with a +2 ? :-D
the kobra with glare could be a problem when steelix is gone and still it does geti eq Guess this is were you need Xatu. i faced this team in testing face and my pyroar did put in work. as the only thing taking hits is lanturn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)