Project NU Archetype Cores [Dragon / Fire / Flying]

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for being late again, Im currently on vacation if anyone cares lol.
Week 9 - Winner
I congratulate the winner RahelGamer03!

RahelGamer03's core: :Togedemaru::Rotom-Frost::Weezing:
The core idea is a Volt-turn with Togedemaru and Rotom-Frost both have a very good synergy and cover the weaknesses with each other, This set of Weezing is from rozes, I decided to add it since it is a good check of the fight types and of Toxicroak in specific, between the 3 they obtain a great synergy a change that can be made is to change the ability of Weezing to Levitate although with Neutralizing-Gas it can absorb Tspikes in case of Rotom-Frost is not in the field to remove hazards.
Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Rotom-Frost @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Defog

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Psybeam

Week 10 will be up soon!

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Update - we've decided to wait until after the September 1st drops (and any potential council votes shortly after) to resume this project. Putting it on hold for now.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 10: Ice, Ground, Fairy

With all the drops we got a lot of cool new tools to play with! Corthius and I agreed on featuring the typings we think have some of the coolest drops. [Shoutout to him for taking the lead on this!]

Ice now has some really cool new offensive and support tools to play with; Sneasel and Frosmoth can tear through teams, while Sandslash-Alola and Vanilluxe can provide valuable team support. Fairy is in the same position, getting two powerful and versatile offensive threats as well as Aromatisse, a top-tier cleric. Ground is more for the support of the other two typings, being able to threaten most of the weaknesses Fairy and Ice share, like Steel-types and Fire-types. It, too, went through a major overhaul this tier shift, with new strong, bulky mons diversifying the previous pool of Stunfisk-Galar, Sandaconda, and Piloswine. Overall, these typings have great offensive and defensive synergy and we are looking forward what you guys come up with!

To aid your team-building, I have put together a list of viable Pokemon for each type, although you are not limited to this list.

:sneasel::vanilluxe::frosmoth::sandslash-alola::Piloswine::Abomasnow::rotom-frost::Froslass:

:rhydon::Mudsdale::stunfisk-galar::gastrodon::runerigus::piloswine::sandaconda::quagsire:

:ribombee::Aromatisse::Whimsicott::Clefairy::Alcremie::Mawile:

Follow the rules in the OP when posting. (CHECK if you need to!)

Submissions will be due by next Friday, September 25th at 11:59 PM GMT-4.

AllTerrainVen0moth

Banned deucer.
:ss/sneasel: :ss/aromatisse: :ss/mudsdale:
Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Poison Jab

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
Sneasel is powerful, but weak. Aromatisse fixes one of its most crippling weaknesses in Fighting, and can pass pretty big wishes across the team. Mudsdale is a rocks setter. Im pretty sure thats it

:Abomasnow: :Ribombee: :Gastrodon:

My idea is based on 'how to make Ribombee work'. So, basically to provide Ribombee with the support it needs in order to late game clean or put a huge dent into someone's team. Ribombee, therefore, is the quiver dance three attacks set with energy ball to hit Rhydon and Gastrodon the hardest way possible and Psychic to hit the poison types in the tier such as Qwilfish and, more importantly, Garbodor.

Abomasnow sets up the Aurora Veil for Ribombee which gives it an easier time to set up. Earthquake can chip the incoming steel types that Ribombee struggles with and Ice Shard provides the team with some nice STAB priority.

Lastly, since the first two Pokémon struggle very hard with steel types like Silvally-Steel and Togedemaru, I decided to add Gastrodon because that can easily recover off the damage done by those steel types and since this is a veil team it can invest more into SpA. The speed is to outspeed no speed base 60s such as Eldegoss and Weezing - the phys def variants have a good chance to be 2HKO'd.

252+ SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 153-180 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Gastrodon Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eldegoss: 146-172 (45 - 53%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Abomasnow @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Jolly Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Ribombee @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover

1600442823806.png
1600442742397.png
1600442935557.png

Sneasel + Sandaconda + Ribombee
Sneasel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard / Low Kick
- Icicle Crash

Sandaconda @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shed Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Glare / Rest

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Switcheroo
- U-turn / Psychic / Sticky Web

Two powerful mons + my bro sandaconda scarf
ribombee specs + boots sneasel are good breakers rn, they works nice together
sandaconda scarf is for to surprise careless players, he outspeed frosmoth after 1 quiver dance so its nice and kill ninetales after click sandaconda in np ninetales( your opp probably think you sandaconda is rocky helmet)

This a pretty boring but defensively solid core that can be a good blueprint to build around. Aromatisse is also a good substitute for Alcremie as it also provides some good wish support for pure stalls, but Alcremie provides some good bulk while also having a good coverage helping this core to adapt to bulky teams as a solid defensive core.
My idea is behind a core that would help create a stall/semi-stall team in a tier that destroys stall. The idea was to build around Sandslash Alola, as he is a great spinner and resists a lot of threats in the tier. He also has pretty good coverage and can hit a lot of common spin blockers. The typing actually complements each other well as Quagsire and Alcremie can handle fighting and fire type that Sandslash has a huge problem with while also providing resists to grass that Quagsire has issues with, which it not only checks but also threatens. Sandslash also covers Alcremies poison weakness with Quagsire being a generally good check to it.
Anything that would try to set up on Alcremie and Sandslash can be handled with Quagsire. Bulky grass and ghosts are good team members that can be used with this core.

Sandslash-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Alcremie (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Mystical Fire
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Week 10 - Winner
I congratulate the winner Socrates1O1

Socrates1O1's core: :Abomasnow: :Ribombee: :Gastrodon:
My idea is based on 'how to make Ribombee work'. So, basically to provide Ribombee with the support it needs in order to late game clean or put a huge dent into someone's team. Ribombee, therefore, is the quiver dance three attacks set with energy ball to hit Rhydon and Gastrodon the hardest way possible and Psychic to hit the poison types in the tier such as Qwilfish and, more importantly, Garbodor.

Abomasnow sets up the Aurora Veil for Ribombee which gives it an easier time to set up. Earthquake can chip the incoming steel types that Ribombee struggles with and Ice Shard provides the team with some nice STAB priority.

Lastly, since the first two Pokémon struggle very hard with steel types like Silvally-Steel and Togedemaru, I decided to add Gastrodon because that can easily recover off the damage done by those steel types and since this is a veil team it can invest more into SpA. The speed is to outspeed no speed base 60s such as Eldegoss and Weezing - the phys def variants have a good chance to be 2HKO'd.

252+ SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Weezing: 153-180 (45.8 - 53.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Gastrodon Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eldegoss: 146-172 (45 - 53%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Abomasnow @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Jolly Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Ribombee @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Host-update:
From now on I will host this project alone untill someone wants to co-host this with me.
I want to thank Expulso a lot for being the original host of this project which was my absolut favorite pre-home project (cant decide for now) and for being an amazing partner while we were hosting this project together!
For now on I hope to get this a bit more on time with my schedule and do more advertising.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Week 11: Steel, Fairy, Water

Some of the best mons in the tier atm are steel types. They are absolutly mandatory for covering many threats in the tier at once while also providing lots of utility. Fairy types synergies well with steel types because they cover the vital fighting weakness in the current state of the metagame. In return steel types provide a poison immunity and a resistance to theirself which complements defensively with steel types. Water types are such good glue for almost any type of defensive but also offensive cores. They help checking the ground types and threaten the steel types and fire types that may abuse the steel and fairy types while steel types can take on grass types. The giving core isn't without flaws - the core still needs a way to cover the electric weakness!
Im looking forward to all of your submissions!

To aid your team-building, I have put together a list of viable Pokemon for each type, although you are not limited to this list.
: :escavalier::Silvally::Sandslash-Alola::Duraludon::togedemaru::Magneton::Stunfisk-Galar:

: :Ribombee::Clefairy::Aromatisse::whimsicott::mawile:

: :jellicent::cramorant::poliwrath::Clawitzer::Lanturn::kingler::wishiwashi::gastrodon:

Follow the rules in the OP when posting. (CHECK if you need to!)
Submissions will be due by next Saturday, October 17th at 09:00 PM UTC+2

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Escav-Bee-Cram

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Trick

Cramorant @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gulp Missile
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Good core imo. Escavalier being the newest addition to the meta and ranked S for good reason since there's very limited switch ins to it. It has a few sets to work with (4 attacks, Band, SD among them) and it just hurts anything that comes in. The speed investment on it allows it to speed creep defensive Mudsdale while maximizing its attacking power. Ribombee is also a nice mon here in NU with its Specs and QD sweeping sets, not to mention its Webs capabilities. Bee can help wear down for Escav or Cram and put less pressure on them. Or, it can just pivot out on the predictable Steel types so that Escav or Cram can handle them. Speaking of Cormorant Cramorant, Escav and Bee cannot deal with Ninetales very well (if at all) and that's where Cram comes in. It eats up any attack Ninetales throws at it and recovers the HP right back and disposes of the fox.​

Last edited:
:ss/escavalier: :ss/gastrodon: :ss/aromatisse:
Escavalier @ Choice Band
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Clear Smog
- Scald
- Recover

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Escavalier is the focus of the core, but it is very weak to fire moves. Gastrodon is a literal fire wall, and a good wall in general. Aromatisse is a defensive pivot which gives Escavalier the recovery it doesn't have.

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Cramorant @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Gulp Missile
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Surf
- Hurricane / Brave Bird
- Roost

Aromatisse @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Stunfisk-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Pain Split
- Stone Edge
Cramorant is a nice SpD check to Ninetales and helps with Rapidash with its FIre-type resistance whereas Galarian Stunfisk and Aromatisse are setup fodder for both. However, Cramorant is weak to Rock- and Electric-type attacks, so Galarian Stunfisk pairs well with Cramorant as they each covers each other weaknesses. Aromatisse is cleric for both along with a nice Gallade check with its defensive stats, while in return G-Fisk helps with special-attackers like Duraludon that otherwise does a lot of chip. Helmet on G-Fisk is also to punish Pokemon that use U-turn a lot like Ninjask or Silvally-forms.​

Katy

Banned deucer.
:ss/escavalier: :ss/jellicent: :ss/whimsicott:
Escavalier @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Toxic

Jellicent @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt
- Toxic

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- U-turn
Escavalier beats opposing fairies like Ribombee, Whimsicott and Aromatisse, whereas Jellicent helps against Pokemon such as Gallade, Miltank, and ground-types like Mudsdale, Sandaconda, and furthermore it can help against Alola-Sandslash. Whimsicott is the hard hitter on this code as it beats bulky waters like Wishiwashi, opposing Jellicent, and it can help against Clawitzer. This core in general is a good bulky offensive core and these three Pokemon help each outher out with their weaknesses and strength and they can combat a decent amount of Pokemon in NU.​

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
Week 11 - Voting

Thank you all for submitting! Vote for one of the following cores:

Oathkeepre: :Escavalier::Ribombee::Cramorant:

iLiekMudkipz_: :Escavalier::Aromatisse::Gastrodon:

Roxiee: :Stunfisk-Galar::Aromatisse::Cramorant:

Katy: :Escavalier::Whimsicott::Jellicent:

Make sure to look back over the sets each user provided!
Voting will last until 09:00 PM UTM +2 Monday, October 19th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)