np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Raikou loss hits pretty hard, as it looks like Manetric isn't going to drop after all (4.33% overall usage if my calc is correct)...

I'm just pissed we still have to put up with Bee. Not that is breaks the meta or anything.. just tired of seeing it.

Celebi, Raikou and Jirachi leaving the tier have a pretty big effect on the current meta. Celebi was starting to become a common appearance on all different playstyles, fulfilling many different roles. Jirachi leaving is a great thing in that we no longer have to deal with hax, though it served as quite an important switchin with its typing and bulk that will certainly be felt now. Raikou probably will have the smallest effect, but it still was quite a prominent Pokemon that will have to be replaced by maybe Jolteon or Heliolisk now.

Terrakion and Heracronite will move back to BL and Pinsirite will almost certainly go straight to BL too, with normal Pinsir being rather average. Salamence and Heracross though will be 2 very big threats, both of which are rather versatile and I could easily see as A rank or higher, but I'm leaning towards not ban worthy.

Definitely an interesting shift though

EDIT: didn't even realise Starmie moved up, which is great big blow to defensive teams wanting a fast spinner. Diancie I don't think really deserves much of a mention though.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Now that we're losing a valuable Grass- and Electric-type in Celebi and Raikou, respectively, can we please ban Suicune it's just a right pain in the ass to deal with.

LOL terrakion

celebi was one of my favorite mons to use down here and now it's rip :( at least we got rid of jirachi and got heracross back!

I guess I'll keep praying for the day Scrafty and Trevenant drop :(

So will Terrakion be okay to play with immediately, is there gonna be a suspect in the near future, or are we just gonna leave him off to the side for a while?

People saying that Suicune is harder to handle now should also remember that Heracross was considered a pretty good offensive switch-in for Suicune last time it was here, taking advantage of Scald to trigger Guts and 2hko'ing with CB Close Combat or Megahorn.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
If terrakion stays uu for more than 5 minutes I can definitely see a rise in doublade. being a nice check to that as well as a decent answer to fairies and mega cross. Terrakion overwhelms it with SD quake though, same as Hera. Mega Pinsir seems scary as hell seeing as M-Aero is looking like the safest check and i guess bronzong could be considered a good switch-in but that thing is thrashed by return anyway and fails to k0 back with anything. these tier shifts are scary. expecting to see a lot of HO.

Losing Celebi as a Suicune counter just means Shaymin, Roserade, and WarAmphamon will see more usage. Suicune isn't that difficult to handle, guys. And with Heracross' return? Yeah, Suicune is not broken. I'd see a Scald ban before Suicune.

The only thing that's dropping that doesn't already have a history of being BL is Mega Pinsir, which I believe and sincerely sincerely hope will immediately rise to BL without any preamble and time in UU. Heracronite simply drops back to BL, and I think Terrakion was BL before it got enough OU usage to properly rise.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You don't get it I just fucking hate Suicune.

Pinsir is going to be a monster here. Heracross will definitely decrease the viability of bulky Water-types still fuck Suicune so I expect to see usage of Alomomola, Vaporeon, Suicune, and Swampert to drop a little bit. I do see Crobat and Gligar becoming a lot more popular, however. Mega Aerodactyl will have fun with Pinsir, Heracross, and Salamence that haven't set up yet (even Terrakion because Aqua Tail). Entei will gain a bit more popularity in the decrease of bulky Water-types (Heracross will be an amazing partner), but won't like seeing Salamence hanging around here (especially Lum Berry variants). Fighting spam is going to get popular again with Heracross and Terrakion (also Mienshao etc).

All in all a fun meta and I still fucking despise Suicune.

Are people serious about banning suicine? Considering it has solid, good checks in roserade, shaymin, vapoeron, mega-amp, now guts hera/champ, serperior, etc, I think ppl are just being lazy lol.

Kinda sad to see Celebi and Raikou go. Never used Starmie, and Rachi was bound to leave since it's such a good mon, tho I never thought of it as OP.

Time for SubDD Mence to set up on all these ban worthy suicine teams them n_n

If you're gonna quote me, don't write before as b4 .–.

Anyway assuming Mega Pinsir gets the boot, I'm pretty excited to have Hera and Mence back in the tier. That will hopefully balance the Fairies out again, meaning Aroma and Granbull will see more usage. That in turn might make Doublade better too, which is cool I guess.

Also I like having more excuses to never test Shadow Tag and Drizzle/Drought again, lol.

You can despise Suicune all you want, I agree that he's a massive asshole. But he's only as big of an asshole as Jirachi was (actually much smaller, nothing that says skill like you not getting to make a move because fuck you), and Jirachi was never broken enough to go, we just had to wait for the beautiful, beautiful day that it saw enough usage to rise.

Again, I'm confident that Mega Pinsir simply will not see the light of day in UU. It's too powerful. Aerilate Return off base 155, Aerilate Quick Attack, Raikou's disappearance with no Manectric to fill the void, and Close Combat and Earthquake? Even with Mega Aerodactyl, Pinsir is a monster we haven't seen the likes of since Landorus-Incarnate.

It's cute that you guys think that Salamence WON'T trigger a resurgence of Ice Beam the likes of which would make Zygarde jealous.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Starmie going is really pretty sad. While Tentacruel ends up finding its way onto more of my teams, I really liked bulky Starmie on balance.

Celebi is probably the most impactful loss after rachi, though. It really has a place on almost every style of team, and it could be hell trying to figure out its set. Shaymin really isn't a replacement - much as I love Shaymin, it's the second most predictable mon in the tier (the first being Entei).

Fairies in general are looking good with Hera and Mence back in town. It's actually a shame Jirachi is moving up (never thought I'd say those words...) because SubCMrachi could be pretty good with its ability to set up on Florges, Aromatisse and non-Roar Granbull and to threaten Hera and Mence with a boosted Moonblast or Psyshock when behind a sub.

I'm curious to see how stall teams adjust to Heracross in particular. CB Guts Machamp already does a number on common stall teams, and Hera is even more dangerous in that regard. Luckily Doublade is still pretty good, and a RestTalk set can fit on stall fairly easily.

If Celebi and Serp leave, and Mence moves down, does that mean we won't see any more of Goodra? I really liked the CB set for its ability to just crap all over any team involving Serperior, but now it seems fairly lackluster.

What do you guys feel (bar pinsir) would be the most broken that dropped? Terrak?

nvm, heard from someone it got quick banned. rip

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Suicune was nowhere close to as broken as Jirachi imo, for the simple reason that nothing can be done to prevent Scarfrachi from flinching its way through your entire team. While there are many ways to beat Suicune, there is always the danger of Rachi pulling off a sweep against you. I'm extremely glad it's gone from the tier as it takes away that element of luck that could win anyone a game no matter how close you were to defeat.

Regarding all the monsters that have simultaneously dropped down, man Mega Pinsir is frightening. Even its bulkiest resists are bashed in thanks to Aerilate. Along with Terrakion, I just can't see these two staying in the tier. Hera and Mence are going to be interesting additions though, and as others have pointed out it's a boost for Fairies to see a rise in usage again.

Starmie and Celebi going is pretty unfortunate, not surprising considering how well they check Keldeo in OU but I really enjoyed having them around in UU. Starmie made for an excellent spinner thanks to it being the only one with reliable recovery, and had just discovered a niche for itself in being able to reliably counter Entei without fearing burns. Celebi was an excellent fit for every playstyle whether you wanted to use it as a bulky rocker, WP passer, or even a SD/NP sweeper. Raikou while not being as popular was still a decent mon that could be an effective sweeper in its own right, and with it and Celebi leaving Suicune just lost two solid checks. However with the abundance of Grass and Electric types still in the tier (along with physical hard-hitters beefed up by the Heracross drop) we have plenty that can step up to check it in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)