np: SM UU Stage 10 - Diamonds and Pearls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Kommo-O
moved from UU to OU
Mega Sableye
moved from OU to UU
Two major shifts this quarter. First, we lost everyone's favorite clanger to OU. With excellent bulk, good mixed attacking stats, strong STABs and fantastic movepool, Kommo-O had cemented itself as a staple wallbreaker and offensive threat in UU. Will its departure mean a return to form for some of the balance teams that have fallen out of favor over the past several months? Only time will tell!

Second and perhaps even bigger than the first, Mega Sableye has officially dropped to UU. Mega Sableye's incredible bulk and access to the rare Magic Bounce ability has made it a common sight on OU stall teams for two generations now. How will UU deal with this beast? Post your thoughts below!

And finally, a quick announcement: Amane Misa will be officially joining the UU council, taking the place of McMeghan. Congratulations to Misa!

Adaam
aim
Amane Misa
Eyan
Hogg
HT
Kink
Pak
Pearl
robjr
Sage
Shiba
TDK

Clanger will be missed. Mega-Sab will probably bring chaos to the lower ladder but there are a few good fairy types running around to help deal with it.

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I’m going to be blunt. Mega Sableye is cancer. It’s been in the tier for like an hour and from what I’ve seen it’s not fair for UU. What hazard setter does it not invalidate? Spike stack has been a way of breaking through stall teams for a long time. Pressure the hazard removal and win with scizor or sharpedo. Mega sableye prevents that. It’s only weak to fairies and the only fairy stall struggles against is Mega Altaria if it is refresh facade. Just add an Amoonguss and you’re set. I’m not saying quick ban but definitely a suspect test. But actually I am kind of saying quick ban. All you need to do is place Mega Sableye on a decent stall team and click buttons. Normally people run two defoggers Moltres/articuno to pressure stall rocks. Now you don’t need to. Mega Sab + defogger will do. Or what the hell, don’t even add a defogger. You probably don’t even need one. Stall is already a very good strategy in the meta right now. Giving stall mega sableye is he equivalent of giving offense back breloom. I am asking for Mega Sableye to be banned immediately pending suspect test or no suspect test I’m fine with either, preferably the latter.

I do understand that my points aren’t very articulate but this mon needs to be banned now.

Bonus replay of me just clicking buttons randomly and winning with ease and no thinking: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-885587767
Edit: replay is weird as hogg pointed out to me. Risked sab but the point I’m making is that it takes little effort to use and win with mega sab. Also that team doesn't have any removal because I wanted to see if Mega Sableye could keep hazards off by itself.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
So, I thought Mega Sableye would be fine in UU thanks to its low Speed and the abundance of Fairy-types in UU. Man, was I wrong...

For about 8 matches, I faced almost nothing but stall and Mega Sableye was on every team. For starters, it invalidates every hazard setter with Magic Guard, as well as every status condition with Toxic. It can increase its already good bulk with Will-O-Wisp, Calm Mind, Snarl, and Recover. It almost eliminated the need for hazard control and it. The worst part about Mega Sableye is that it is the definition of a brain dead Pokemon in UU. Just about any move it goes for will almost always be in its favor and it can win even with inexperienced players. This thing carries stall all by itself. You need to carry Facade Altaria or even another powerful Fairy-type like Togekiss or Primarina to even hope to beat it or else you're stuck in a stalemate.

I feel like the council needs to either quickban or at the least suspect it in the future. This is a potentially cancerous addition to the tier and really could make it a loss less fun.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
This might just be me and a relatively small sample size but I haven’t actually been that impressed by Sableye stall so far yet, yes it’s ability+bulk in tandem with secondary removal options means that it’s very difficult to get hazards up freely but let’s not pretend that there haven’t been other stalls that have accomplished this in the past. We’ve seen all manner of combinations featuring pokemon such as Gligar, Moltres and Articuno that aim at covering all combinations of hazard options to prevent them going up. Obviously the difference with Sableye is that it prevents you from clicking the hazard at all without the risk of punishment in getting them bounced back, whereas with the Pokemon I listed before you could rock up and have a relatively free switch into something else as they either remove the hazards, or they try to punish a switch etc and have to live with hazards up. With Sableye there’s an element of prediction and aggressive play required, based around whether you think a Sableye will come in and how you’re going to punish that if it does. I can understand why people wouldn’t want that in the tier but I’m not 100% convinced yet that this alone is enough to make Sableye an optimal choice over the other Megas available on stall or over using the hazard removal cores I mentioned earlier.

Using Sableye means you lose access to a whole host of other good megas on stall, chiefly Aerodactyl, Altaria and Slowbro, honourable mention to Aggron too. These mons are huge boons to stall teams, stopping otherwise challenging stallbreakers in their tracks and bringing other utilities to the table aswell. A similar thing could be said about some of the hazard removal options I mentioned earlier, albeit to a lesser degree. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the only threat to stall that I can see that Sableye holds off is Reuniclus with psy/fight coverage, and of course hazards themselves. As I’ve said a couple of times now, I’m not sure this is enough to justify selecting it as your mega compared to the other options. I don’t really like the argument that because it prevents you from getting hazards, stall suddenly becomes that much more unbreakable. Yes hazards are great vs stall, but stall teams have dedicated to keeping hazards off for a while now with the different combinations I’ve alluded to earlier and we haven’t really had a problem to the point where there’s been a serious discussion on banning things to nerf it so why does Sableye make this a problem? If anything the fact that Sableye doesn’t really beat a lot that stall struggles with in terms of actual breakers should make this easier no?

I just wanted to come from a different angle because naturally there’s going to be a lot of hate for Sableye, it can be very obnoxious to play against because it punishes the hell out of passive SR options which are popular, and introduces more prediction into the game. It’s very likely that all I need to see is someone like pif or pearl or one of the other great stall builders we have in the community make a team with it that completely changes my perception of it, but until then the above reflects my opinion on it.

Also THANK GOD Kommo is gone fkin hated playing vs that thing.

Last edited:
More serious post.

While I'm not sure Mega Sableye is broken or 100% unhealthy, I definitively think that it should be banned asap because of UULT. I've seen way too much people using Stall because it's an easy way to grind Elo vs the majority of average players. Mega Sableye also force people to run specific Pokemon to pressure Stall such as Mega Altaria with Facade, Reuniclus, NP Lucario and Infernape or things like Sub SD Terrakion. More than ever, you have to build around specifics answers to deal with Mega Sableye. I think it should be quickbanned and test in the future after UULT comes to an end.

Freeroamer

More serious post.

While I'm not sure Mega Sableye is broken or 100% unhealthy, I definitively think that it should be banned asap because of UULT. I've seen way too much people using Stall because it's an easy way to grind Elo vs the majority of average players. Mega Sableye also force people to run specific Pokemon to pressure Stall such as Mega Altaria with Facade, Reuniclus, NP Lucario and Infernape or things like Sub SD Terrakion. More than ever, you have to build around specifics answers to deal with Mega Sableye. I think it should be quickbanned and test in the future after UULT comes to an end.
So players taking part in a ladder tournament might have to run stallbreakers to break stall which is common in these tournaments anyway? How can you possibly pin that on Sableye and use that to justify banning it? I’m fully prepared to accept good, logically sound arguments on why Sableye should be banned (from UULT and/or the tier as a whole) but come on, this can’t be your reasoning surely.

You don’t even need to change the stallbreakers you use, Sableye doesn’t even beat any of the mons previously considered stallbreakers before it dropped. If anything some of them get better because Sableye presents freer setup than they were getting previously (NP Fighting types) or are reducing the usage of the mons on stall that did check them such as the other viable megas.

Last edited:
Since you nit-pick on my previous post, here are my arguments :

• New Pokemon which involve too much changes in the tier at the "worst" moment (UULT)
• New Pokemon which restrain a lot the teambuilding and requires specifics Pokemon to deal with it
• New Pokemon with super low risk and high reward (it invalides on its own almost every Entry Hazards setters in the whole tier)

I talked about Stall because this is the archetype which benefits the most from Mega Sableye in my opinion. The main issue is Mega Sableye is how much it restrain the teambuilding and requires specifics Pokemon to be handle. It has some flaws like every Pokemon but they're so easy to cover with a Poison-type such as Tentacruel, Nihilego or Amoonguss or a Steel-type like Empoleon or Scizor. This Pokemon doesn't seem healthy to me.

Freeroamer

I’ll tackle points 1 and 2 at the same time. I don’t understand how it can be a teambuilding restraint, specifically in the context of UULT to run stallbreakers. The stallbreakers are all the same as they were prior to Sableye dropping with the exception of Kommo perhaps. If you’re not prepared to tackle stall builds in UULT you won’t go far. For example last UULT I was running Perish Trap Azu with enough spdef to trap even Poison Z Amoonguss and an SD Poison Heal Breloom with Aero support for the Crobats that were common on stall around that time. If you look back at the other contestants that qualified all of them will have had strong countermeasures for stall or will have been using stall themselves. Banning Sableye won’t change the fact that stall will play a big part in UULT. This part is my own opinion, but I’d almost go so far as to say I’d rather play vs some of the attempts at Sableye stall I’ve seen so far because I think they’re structurally weaker in terms of dealing with threats than the other stalls such as Pearl or pif’s relatively recent stall builds.

You’re correct in that it has a good matchup vs a high percentage of our hazard setters, but I’ll never believe the mega slot is low cost, especially in terms of stall builds. It’s also unbelievably passive, if it’s coming into Hippo’s or Emps for example, it’s taking sand damage, eq damage, potential burns and being forced to heal up constantly. This gives you the ability to aggressively punish it with your teambuilding and playing.

tl;dr, it stops hazards but doesn’t come in for free.

While Sableye doesnt break stall in any way, it gives stall a new side. Where as previously spikstack HO was an acceptable way of dealing with fat, this way of breaking stall has become very risky. If u happen to face mega Sableye u will most definetively lose with klefki/frosslass offense. I already think this tier is just one big clusterfuck of MU fishing. Mega Sableye is gonna make this so much worse. Also ask yourself, what is more important, giving stall a new toy? or keeping a playstyle that has been a huge part of the UU metagame since the beginning? Because keeping Msab around WILL render all those spikestack HOs useless

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Mega Sableye is unhealthy for a couple reasons (this is me just spitballing some points):

1. It promotes an over-reliance on stall breakers.

No longer can you beat stall by more passive means like status spam or hazards. You now need hard stall breakers like NP Lucario, Infernape, SD Heracross with Megahorn, Taunt Z Haxorus, etc. However, stall can easily adapt to the increased relevance of these breakers. Fast Pokémon like Mega Aerodactyl and Crobat can be more common on stall to revenge kill some of these stall breakers. Pokémon like Moltres, Doublade, and Cresselia who are generally good versus common UU stall breakers will gain more usage. Stall will adapt to how the UU meta adapts to Mega Sableye in the blink of an eye.

2. It centralizes the meta to unprecedented amounts

It’s been in UU for a day and already people have been scrambling to find counters and adapt to this Pokémon. Stall is relying on it already. It has become a scarily impressive force in UU in such a short time. Only time will tell how centralizing this Pokémon is but council has to make a decision soon and from what I’ve seen it’s way over centralizing.

3. Invalidates hazard stack and hazards in general

Well it needs to mega first right? It gets both Fake Out and Protect. Two of the freest ways to get a Mega evolve off with no consequences. The only Rocker that I’ve tested that really pressures Mega Sableye is Mamoswine. And even then you have to play 50/50s with Rocks and EQ.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 191-226 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Sableye-Mega: 144-172 (47.5 - 56.7%) -- 83.6% chance to 2HKO

4. It makes stall the dominant team type in the meta

A lot of these points can be compressed, I know. Stall was already very good in UU before Mega Sableye. It was in a good spot. Pearl did very well with his stall in UUPL. As did Christo in the last week. Pif is proof that stall was fine in UU before mega Sableye. He has hit 2000+ countless times and hit gxe’s of over 97%. Some of you may think ladder is a shitty example but 97% GXE speaks for itself. Before shifts, bulky offense was the dominant strategy in the meta. But it wasn’t broken. It was the most popular and arguably the most consistent but it wasn’t broken. Mega Sableye has made stall the dominant strategy in UU in just 1 day. Yes, maybe it could be because people are testing it out but I sincerely think it’s just plain good.

5. It has versatility

Mega Sableye isn’t just a stall mon like a lot of people think. I’ve seen it work on balance and bulky offense. I piloted one of Hogg’s Mega Sableye bulky offense builds to 1500 pretty easily. Also mega Sableye doesn’t just have one set. Calm Mind can serve as a win con that may be a better fit for teams than the simple spdef Knock Off + Willow Wisp Variant. It’s move pool is pretty disgusting for a Pokémon that fits on stall with ease. Knocking items and statusing are probably two of the most important ways of breaking down teams. It also has a way of Mega evolving for free and a recovery move. This kinda leads me into my next point which is...

6. It requires minimal support

Mega Sableye requires about as much support as any of the other five Pokémon on stall. It’s only weak to one type, Fairy. It can cover both physical and special breakers with amazing bulk and Willow Wisp.

My final assessment of Mega Sableye is that it deserves a suspect, not a quick ban. I think it’s still ban-worthy but the UU tier deserves more time test this Pokémon and let the meta adapt to its precense. This was a pretty quick post so there’s probably some holes in my arguments. It is a discussion thread so please respond and disagree if you disagree.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Okay people really need to relax about Sableye making stall some unstoppable force. Yes it beats the majority of passive setters (bar Diancie), but let's not pretend Hippowdon and co were getting rocks up against Gligar/Cuno/Tentacruel before Sableye dropped. Offensive rockers like Terrakion/Krookodile/Nidoking pressure it really badly, although getting rocks bounced back is infuriating admittedly. Freeroamer covered this well already, but Sableye offers next to nothing defensively besides countering the trash Pokemon known as Reuniclus. Using it means you lose out on Aggron/Slowbro/Altaria/Aero so you get to pick between losing to Infernape, Lucario, Crawdaunt, Terrakion, Togekiss, Latias, or Celebi. Seriously the majority of these Sableye stall teams running around seemed to have forgotten Nape exists as a Pokemon. pif's Malt or Pearl's Cuno stalls are far more difficult to break while still doing a decent job at keeping hazards off.

I think the only archetype that can put Sableye over the edge are balances/BO with breakers whose counterplay invovles maintaining SR up. Think Moltres, Kyurem, or Togekiss. Even then, I've been trying to make this work but I always end up being weak to a handful of stuff because of how mediocre Dark/Ghost typing is. One weakness sounds great, but you have only two? immunities and one resist to an uncommon type which is less than stellar. I'd be down for a suspect but the mob to quickban seems to be jumping the gun.

Edit: Free Clanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)