No Weather Makes a Winner

Introduction: This RMT is my first post on the site and my first truly successful team peaking at around 1450 CRE. This team has a simple goal. Blast holes in my opponent’s team with my dragons, lay down some hazard support with Heatran and Ferrothorn and then sweep with Lucario while using my Gengar for support.

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Dragonite is my lead in most situations. Choice Banded Outrage kills everything that isn't steel and Earthquake/Fire Punch take steels out fast. ExtremeSpeed rounds out my move set making this poke one of two on my team with priority. My strategy with this guy is to send him in early before stealth rocks get on the field as I have no spinner and just spam outrage. Later in the game, if he is still alive, Dragonite makes for a great late game cleaner with ExtremeSpeed. Ice and Dragon attacks aimed at Dragonite go to Ferrothorn or Heatran.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
Behold the old king of OU! Pretty standard set with Leech Seed for healing, Power Whip and Gyro Ball to hit bulky waters and Gengar respectively and Spikes to rack up entry damage. Ferrothorn is who I go to when I need an attack absorbed that’s not fire or fighting because of his plethora of resistances. As far as synergy goes, fire attacks go to Heatran and fighting attacks go to Gengar and Latios. Honestly, this guy is the weak link of my team but I don’t know who else could tank hits like he can.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
Heatran's main jobs are to absorb fire attacks, stop dragons with a combination of Stealth Rock and Hidden Power Ice and blast through anything slower than itself with Fire Blast. Max Speed with a timid nature allows Heatran to out speed many things including other Heatran and some Gliscor OHKOing them. Ground attacks aimed at Heatran go to Latios or Dragonite and Fighting attacks go to Gengar or Latios.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute
- Psychic
Gengar was the last Pokémon I put on this team to patch up my fighting weakness. Gengar is also an extremely fast Pokémon that can KO most enemies if I can get up a sub first. Gengar is my main check to Breloom, Infernape, Toxicroak, and Conkeldurr. I originally had Disable in the last spot, but I found that most Pokémon I was trying to disable just died from psychic anyway. Psychic, Dark and Ghost attacks aimed at Gengar all get absorbed by Heatran and Ferrothorn.

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
Latios is the glue that holds this team together. Because nothing faster than Latios ever holds a choice scarf, I know that I'm going to be going first every turn. Draco Meteor is my strongest attack, doing large amounts of damage even with a timid nature. Surf and Hidden Power Fire are my coverage options and Psyshock gives me a strong STAB attack to fall back on that doesn't lower special attack and allows me to nail Blissey/Chansey. This guy also absorbs volt switches like no one’s business and gives me the upper hand because I can pound whatever comes in (Scizor comes in a lot for some reason and he gets killed immediately with Hidden Power Fire). As far as synergy goes, Heatran and Ferrothorn can eat anything thrown at Latios Fairly easily.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
The picture doesn't really fit because this is a physical Lucario, but I thought it was awesome. Lucario does so much damage it's not even funny killing Skarmory in one shot with a +2 Close Combat. ExtremeSpeed takes out anything faster than Lucario because those pokes are usually weaker defensively. Finally, Ice Punch takes out Dragonite and Gliscor who otherwise could be trouble for my sweep.

Ok.
For Gengar put disable on psychic:

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Disable/Paint Split
I suggest too of put Crunch on bullet punch for Lucario for Jellicent,(Reuniclus===>Weak)

Nice team man GG ^^

Ok.
For Gengar put disable on psychic:

I suggest too of put Crunch on bullet punch for Lucario for Jellicent,(Reuniclus===>Weak)

Nice team man GG ^^
He could play around easily on Jellicent that on Terrakion / Gengar, so I don't think your suggestion is so valid. Maybe he could try it over Extremespeed but then Latwins are going to annoy if not damaged enough and Landorus would become a greater asshole of what it already is.

Hey, solid team. I think you should try Disable over Psychic on Gengar, as although you don't have a super effective move versus Fighting types now, you can take out their main form of offense against you for most of them (i.e. you can disable Payback on Conkeldurr, Seed Bomb on Breloom etc.). It also has a lot of utility for other random mons who can't touch you otherwise. To give you some extra scouting potential versus VoltTurn, I also think you should try Protect over an attacking move on Ferrothorn; this lets you scout whether or not the opponent will use Volt Switch / U-Turn and react accordingly. You also get some extra Leech Seed recovery going!

I guess this is more of a playstyle thing more than anything else, but with Scarf Latios is a pretty frail check to VoltTurn, so at least to me you seem pretty weak to it. To give you a more solid check, why not try a CM + HP Fire Latias over Latios? It gives you a much more stable option against VoltTurn teams, while still providing pressure versus Sun. I guess you lose some revenge killing capabilities, but that's what Extremespeed on Dragonite is for.

Skarmory @ Leftovers OR Shed Shell | Sturdy | Impish Nature
252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Spikes / Roost / Whirlwind / Brave Bird OR Taunt

Latias @ Leftovers | Levitate | Timid Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Hidden Power Fire / Recover

Hope I helped - GL!

This team is pretty weak against stall. Without a spinner Dnite, a major part of the team will be losing 25% of hp every switch in. By being banded, it'll take a lot of good prediction for the dnite to use the correct moves otherwise there will be trouble. If you lock into outrage, enemy steel types will be very troublesome especially in the rain. I'm not completely sure but you should try running Forretress instead of Ferrothorn and thunderbolt instead of psychic on gengar.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty nice team, but Dragon Dance Scrafty is a pretty major threat to it. Assuming your opponent is good enough a player to lure in Ferrothorn or Heatran, Scrafty can get a Dragon Dance up before proceeding to KO them via Drain Punch, Ferro is a bit better against Scrafty, but does lose 1 on 1. At +1, Scrafty is capable of outspeeding your entire team, sans Latios and can OHKO all of them [Drain Punch is shy of an OHKO on Ferro, but you get health back and it still does a ton] with its super effective moves. You may be able to take it down with a combination of hits, such as weakening it with Lucario's extremespeed before Latios takes this out, although it does force you to lose a Pokemon, not to mention it can always switch out. Latios is also pretty easily removed, given its weakness to pursuit and the fact that its locked into a Choice Scarf begs Scizor or Tyranitar to exploit that and pursuit Latios. Anyways, I think you can swap out Ferrothorn out for a Skarmory, which is much better as a Physically Defensive wall and happens to be a great Scrafty counter, taking its hits with ease and Phazing it out/dealing a ton of damage with Brave Bird. The one thing you do lose from the transition of Ferrothorn to Skarmory is some of your special defense, so I'd like to propose a bulkier Heatran spread that maintains most qualities of Specially Defensive Heatran, but still outspeeds all Adamant Scizor. This type of Heatran hits the sweet spot between Defensive and Offensive Heatran variants and is capable of taking out both slow, powerful threats and special attackers. I'd like to second some of Leftiez's suggestions referring to Crunch over Bullet Punch on Lucario and Disable over Psychic on Gengar. Crunch allows Lucario to pull off a sweep much easier, as it can KO stuff like Reuniclus and Jellicent at +2, Pokemon that would otherwise stop it, whereas Bullet Punch's main merit is stopping Terrakion and Scarf Tyranitar, which this team actually shouldn't have too much trouble with. Additionally, Disable on Gengar allows it to stay in on and beat a ton of Pokemon that rely on only one attack to beat it, such as Acrobatics SD Gliscor, Specially Defensive Jirachi and Specially Defensive Gastrodon that lack Ice Beam.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Change Summary:

Gengar:
Psychic->Substitute

Lucario:
Bullet Punch->Crunch

Thanks for the rates everyone! First off I’m going to give Disable another shot on Gengar so I’ll tell you guys how that works out. Secondly, Bullet Punch was a misprint. I actually changed it to Ice Punch because Dragonite and Gliscor were more of a problem than ghosts and psychics.
I guess this is more of a playstyle thing more than anything else, but with Scarf Latios is a pretty frail check to VoltTurn, so at least to me you seem pretty weak to it. To give you a more solid check, why not try a CM + HP Fire Latias over Latios? It gives you a much more stable option against VoltTurn teams, while still providing pressure versus Sun. I guess you lose some revenge killing capabilities, but that's what Extremespeed on Dragonite is for
In response to this, Latios only takes around 15% from the standard scarf variants of Rotom and I can take on the slower washing machines with other members of my team. Latios also has Ferrothron to help absorb electric attacks so I never feel weak against VoltTurn.

Finally, Ferrothorn needs both attacking moves to keep from being set up bait and I fear that replacing him with Skarmory because I would gain an electric weakness and I use Ferrothorn as my main electric absorber.

Thanks everyone for the rates I really enjoyed reading them and look forward to seeing more.

Small nitpick, I would replace Psyshock on your ScarfLatios for Trick. Not even SpecsLatios can beat Chansey with Psyshock and he can only bust Blissey if she switches in, thus, not giving her enough time to Wish off the damage before falling to the second Psyshock. So, obviously, a ScarfLatios is just going to get laughed at by the Pink Blobs. On top of being able to beat the sisters, Trick is just a generally useful move that is really disruptive. It is a really cheap way to beat guys that should sweep your team, such as the previously mentioned Scrafty.

Small nitpick, I would replace Psyshock on your ScarfLatios for Trick. Not even SpecsLatios can beat Chansey with Psyshock and he can only bust Blissey if she switches in, thus, not giving her enough time to Wish off the damage before falling to the second Psyshock. So, obviously, a ScarfLatios is just going to get laughed at by the Pink Blobs. On top of being able to beat the sisters, Trick is just a generally useful move that is really disruptive. It is a really cheap way to beat guys that should sweep your team, such as the previously mentioned Scrafty.
I had Trick but psyshock helped me more against Tentecruel also so I'm gonna keep Psyshock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)