No one says anything.

Hi there! I just recently got back into Pokemon and I'd like to get some feedback on the team I plan to use. I've never battled anyone online or locally before, but I've been thinking about it so I did a few research here and there to get an idea on what to do. However, I still somehow feel inadequate so I want to know if my team is good enough before actually trying it out. Anyway, I think I've built quite an interesting "themed" team though.

Team at a glance:

Like I said, I really don't know much about this. I've only played Pokemon as an RPG and never really battled competitively with anyone yet so that's why I posted here.

I'll try my best to describe what each Pokemon can do based on my understanding though.

Stormsurge (Blastoise) - Water (Kanto Starter)
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Water Spout
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Hidden Power Electric

Blastoise with max Speed and Choice Scarf gives it a really high chance on going first. Water Spout at the beginning of the battle with max Special Attack plus STAB makes it really powerful and can severely damage any Pokemon who can't resist it. Surf is for when Water Spout not being reliable anymore due to damage taken. Because of Torrent, it can do wonders even in low health. As for Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric, they're used against Grass, Flying, and other Water types that may pose as a threat.

Firecraft (Typhlosion) - Fire (Johto Starter)
Item: Heat Rock
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
~ Sunny Day
~ Fire Blast
~ SolarBeam
~ Hidden Power Rock

Typhlosion is apparently quite weak and not often used. However, I believe that if it's used right, it can become dependable with its fairly quick Speed at the very least. Sunny Day with Heat Rock makes it last longer, therefore providing Fire Blast extra damage a few extra turns. SolarBeam deals against Water types that try to oppose it, and Hidden Power Rock for other Fire types that would otherwise wall it out. Typhlosion does seem frail so it's really hit or miss when using it. Other than that there's really not much for me to say besides it being one of my favourite Pokemons.

Agroforest (Sceptile) - Grass (Hoenn Starter)
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
~ Leaf Storm
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Earthquake

Two words: Fast Grass. With max Special Attack and Speed, Leaf Storm along with STAB hits hard. Unfortunately, there are a lot of types resistant to Grass and it is weak to most of those types as well. Focus Blast (despite its low accuracy) gives it a chance against Steel types, while Earthquake deals with Fire and Poison types quite well. Hidden Power Ice are for those Flying types and other Grass types that might wall it. Sceptile as a frail hit-and-run attacker fully utilizes its max Special Attack and Speed.

Kneestrike (Hitmonlee) - Fighting (Kanto)
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Limber
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Close Combat
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Mach Punch

Personally, I think anything based off of Bruce Lee needs to be in a team. Loosely breaking its name down, Hitmonlee can be deciphered as "Hit, Monster, Lee--the monster that hits like Bruce Lee!" With that being said, of course there's reason behind that. 120 base Attack stat + 252 Attack EVs + 120 base Power STAB attack + Choice Band = WATAHHH! (Bruce Lee sound effect attempt). Now, some Pokemons may be able to withstand its powerful attack, but with team support, such as Stealth Rock from Donphan (below), it's KO for the opponents. Earthquake by now should be self-explanatory, Stone Edge for Flying types, and lastly Mach Punch for quick hits.

Axialtilt (Donphan) - Ground (Johto)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~ Rapid Spin
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Stealth Rock

Donphan's role is offensive support. With a build that slants more towards its Attack stat makes it the best "Rapid Spinner" of the team. It provides great support for Typhlosion and its Sunny Day as it clears up entry hazards for it and hitting decently, while Stealth Rock on the other hand serves as the opponent's entry hazard instead. It doesn't really need further explaining as most of its moves have already been described from previous Pokemons in the team (and I'm getting lazy). But I'm sure it makes sense.

Sparkgap (Manectric) - Electric (Hoenn)
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Lightningrod
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
~ Thunderbolt
~ Flamethrower
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Switcheroo

Compared to other Electric type counterparts, Manectric has access to Flamethrower, which allows it to do damage against Pokemons that are weak to Fire types in case Typhlosion is down. With decent Special Attack and Choice Specs, its STAB Thunderbolt attack is also considerably heavy. It may seem to be the weakest link in this team, however, its key move in this set Switcheroo, disrupts opponent's Pokemons that rely on their held items and may potentially cripple them. Since there will be a lot of switching ins and outs, this set will work out just fine. Donphan's Rapid Spin takes care of hazards that threatens Manectric's frailness.

There you have it. For overall threats against this team, I'm not sure as I have not actually tested it yet. That's why I'm asking for opinions.

Thanks!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
based on your trainer card, all of your pokemon are male. for a start, change some to female un case attract shows up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)