NEED help with TEAM!

BALANCED OU TEAM

Hi there,
I've played many games with many Pokémon and many combinations of my favorite ones (those competetive ofc).

First I must admit I very struggled with it, because it's not easy to have everything I want in one team...
I am always trying to have these in team:
  • Stealth Rocker (it's good to have Spiker as well)
  • Rapid Spinner (better to have SR and Spin on same Pokémon)
  • Ghost Pokémon (to block incomming Rapid Spin)
  • Sp.Defensive Wall
  • Defensive Wall (Physical Wall)
  • Pokémon with Aromatherapy (best to have it on either wall)
  • Set upper (Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Belly Drum...)
  • Physical Attacker
  • Special Attacker
Okay, that's enough... well I must say, I hate using Hidden Power (since it's very hard to get in-game for me) and moves, that I have to transfer (since I need to IV in previous games). But I have to use it almost everytime.

Let's see the teambuilding process (skip it if you are not interrested).

PROGRESS:

I started with Amoonguss... I really love this guy, Spore is very good move and Regenerator is one of the best abilities ever seen. He can stop Azumarill, Gyarados Mega and Mawile Mega really well and can survive even their Super-effective moves.

Mandibuzz! Yeah, this pretty girl can be really helpful. She's Physical Wall like Amoonguss and she can even take some Special Attacks well. She is immune to Amoonguss' weakness - Psychic and her weakness (Electric) is resisted by Amoonguss. They really work well together.

I started with two Physical Walls, let's go on with attackers, what about Talonflame? I think it is one of the most strongest Pokémon there, since he can be used as a Stallbreaker and a Sweeper as well.

Maneeetric! Mega of course. Why? Better question is "Why not?". He reaches awesome stats (135 Base Sp.Atk and 135 Base Speed) without being choice locked or losing HP due to recoil. He can be really usefull thanks to his Volt Switch (really, Volt Switch and U-turn are awesome attacks, that might decide the game!).

Then I needed Sp. Defender... I really wasn't sure about this spot. Especially while I didn't want to use Chansey, since her Seismic Toss is unable to get with my options. I run Florges, he is good Sp.Defender as well with access to Aromatherapy/Heal Bell and Self-healing move.

At last! Excadrill... I usually run either Forretress or Donphan, but I decided for little change, I decided for Excadrill. He can't really survive many hits, but he can take down Rotom with Mold Breaker Earthquake.
He has access for Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin!

Later I decided to play Sylveon over Florges. There isn't any big difference between them. Both know Toxic and Wish, Sylveon has Pixiliate Hyper Voice and Florges Moonblast and Sylveon has Heal Bell, whereas Florges has Aromatherapy.

DETAILS:

Fungy (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Regenerator
Bold 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.Def
-Spore
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Fire
-Clear Smog
Regenerator is much better and more useful in current metagame. You are switching often, so why not?
Spore is one of his best move, 100% accurate Sleep is very good. Giga Drain is his main STAB and attack that can heal him a little bit. Foul Play is very strong move against Swords Dancers and Pokémon like that, even though that's it's not as strong as Mindy's Foul Play. Clear Smog is against set uppers and against Fairy Pokémon.

Mindy (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Overcoat
Impish 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.Def
-Taunt
-Knock Off
-Foul Play
-Roost
Since Overcoat makes Pokémon immune to Powder moves and Spore, it is best possible ability for Mandibuzz. I use Taunt to prevent Toxic, Stealth Rock, Spikes and sometimes even Defog and opponent's Taunt. Knock Off is STAB and a very strong move that destroys opponent's item. Foul Play is usually the strongest move (it uses opponent's Attack stat) and probably is boosted by STAB. Roost is there for healing (and useful to deal with Stone Edge, because if I am faster, it will be normal effective).

Angrybird (Talonflame) @ Leftovers
Gale Wings
Adamant 196 HP 252 Atk 60 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Roost
An usual set. Gale Wings to make his Flying attacks a priority moves. Swords Dance to make him even stronger, Brave Bird is main STAB, affected by Gale Wings and a very strong move. Flare Blitz is a Brave Bird equivalent with a low chance to burn target (but doesn't get boost by Gale Wings). Roost does get the boost by Gale Wings and it's healing move, that is useful in some situations.
60 Spe EVs are there for outrunning Excadrill (Jolly 252 Spe) because Flare Blitz will then OHKO him.

MoneyTrick (Manetric) @ Manectite
Lightningrod (Intimidate)
Timid 4 Def 252 Sp.Atk 252 Spe
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Hidden Power Ice
Lightningrod is there for some moments, when I predict opponent and get boost ×1,5 to Special Attack. Volt Switch is useful move, where I can decide who'll be facing opponent's Pokémon instead of Manetric - so I will get very useful advantage. Thunderbolt is his main STAB (more accurate than Thunder). Flamethrower is here against Ferrothorn-like Pokémon and HP Ice is here waiting for Gliscors.

Sylvia (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Pixiliate
Bold 252 HP 4 Def 252 Sp.Def
-Protect/Toxic
-Heal Bell
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
Sylviaaa! Pixiliate is here to give a little boost to Hyper Voice (actually not a little boost but really strong boost). Toxic is here as a Stall strategy to let opponent die, Heal Bell is here for curing teammates (and even Sylvia in some situations). Hyper Voice is his main STAB after Pixiliate. It gets boost by Pixiliate and then boost by STAB and it reaches Base Attack around 175. Wish is her healing move, that can even heal her teammates.
I am not really sure about this Pokémon, but despite Chansey, he is the best with Heal Bell (or Aromatherapy) and healing move user.

Mole (Excadrill) @ Air Balloon
Mold Breaker
Jolly 4 Def 252 Atk 252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Iron Head
-Earthquake
Mold Breaker is here because of Rotom-Wash and it can even break Sturdy. Stealth Rock is great residual damage, Rapid Spin is to blow away opponent's Stealth Rock and save Talonflame's live. Iron Head is there against Fairy Pokémon and it's a STAB. Earthquake is his strongest STAB and probably the best move in combination with Mold Breaker.
Sometimes I think about changing him Excadrill over Donphan (or Forretress?), but I think the possibility of taking down Rotom-Wash is the best choice.

THREATS:

MEGA VENUSAUR is main threat... since he resist almost every my Pokémon's move, and hit hard with Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain. I don't really know STRATEGY with my team, that would lead to defeat this Pokémon.
YEAH, I can switch into Talonflame, but when he takes Sludge Bomb and become poisoned I am nearly dead (dead with recoil) and still am not sure if I can OHKO him at +0 (with Def EV I won't).
Biggest problem is Venusaur teamed with Tyranitar. I cannot really attack if I don't want to be trapped by Tyranitar with his Pursuit, especially, when I CANNOT defeat Tyranitar with Talonflame.

Mega Venusaur SHALL be UBER in my opinion, only thing that can stop it is Psychic or Flying STAB and it isn't necessarily OHKO, it might be 2HKO, when you won't live long enough to take him down.

I am playing MEGA MANECTRIC and I kinda like him, so Pinsir won't get into team.

Please help, if you can, I don't want to change any Pokémon, I might want to change Sylveon, but only to another Wall that can learn Wish and Heal Bell/Aromatherapy.

CONCLUSION:

It's quite a balanced team, I dont really want to change Pokémon in it. I really like each of them and they work together, even though there are those three Pokémon, where I do need to play very carefully.

Please RATE MY TEAM :)
You can also Rate my Pokémon's nicknames and invent new ones.
Thank you for reading, good man!

Last edited:
Given you don't have a clear distinct defensive core, or a good Talonflame counter, I'd remove Manectric for Rotom-w. Without Rotom-w, Talonflame can push past your team with clear ease, and you will have no way of stopping this. I don't really see what Mandibuzz does for this team, if anything, so I just replacing it for Landorus-t, who makes a great core with Rotom-w as well. For Excadrill, I see no reason for it, so I actually suggest using MegaScizor for Defog, who makes another great addition to the core already established by Rotom-w and Landorus-t, as well as creating another with Sylveon, as it covers all of its weaknesses, and pretty much counters any Psychic-type in the tier. That pretty much covers anything I can see wrong with this team, honestly.

Though, some minor nitpicks I'd suggest on the rest of the team:
  • Using HPFire on Amoonguss over Foul Play. HPFire helps for popular siwtchins, mostly Ferrothorn, as well as other pesky things you may see here and there that threaten it.
  • Protect over Toxic on Sylveon. Sure, Toxic helps against walls like the blobs and others, but without Protect, Sylveon doesn't get an ensured heal against pokemon without Whirlwind or Roar, as they can now pHaze you out if you Protect due to new mechanics...
  • Running enough Spe to outspeed MegaPinsir. Mega Pinsir is an up-and-coming sweeper, and I will see it becoming even more popular without MegaLucario, so you should really try to outspeed it now, seein as though Quick Attack can do hefty damage to your little bird. In fact, I'd just run 252 Spe Adamant. on Talon now.
Rotom-w
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split / Rest
ability: Levitate
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

Landorus-t
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Stone Edge / Knock Off / Hidden Power Ice
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant / Naughty
evs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def

Mega Scizor
move 1: Defog
move 2: Roost
move 3: Bullet Punch / Knock Off
move 4: U-turn
ability: Technician
item: Scizorite / Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / Def 252 / Atk 4

Note: read the bold for "tl;dr" tbh lol

Given you don't have a clear distinct defensive core, or a good Talonflame counter, I'd remove Manectric for Rotom-w. Without Rotom-w, Talonflame can push past your team with clear ease, and you will have no way of stopping this. I don't really see what Mandibuzz does for this team, if anything, so I just replacing it for Landorus-t, who makes a great core with Rotom-w as well. For Excadrill, I see no reason for it, so I actually suggest using MegaScizor for Defog, who makes another great addition to the core already established by Rotom-w and Landorus-t, as well as creating another with Sylveon, as it covers all of its weaknesses, and pretty much counters any Psychic-type in the tier. That pretty much covers anything I can see wrong with this team, honestly.

Though, some minor nitpicks I'd suggest on the rest of the team:
  • Using HPFire on Amoonguss over Foul Play. HPFire helps for popular siwtchins, mostly Ferrothorn, as well as other pesky things you may see here and there that threaten it.
  • Protect over Toxic on Sylveon. Sure, Toxic helps against walls like the blobs and others, but without Protect, Sylveon doesn't get an ensured heal against pokemon without Whirlwind or Roar, as they can now pHaze you out if you Protect due to new mechanics...
  • Running enough Spe to outspeed MegaPinsir. Mega Pinsir is an up-and-coming sweeper, and I will see it becoming even more popular without MegaLucario, so you should really try to outspeed it now, seein as though Quick Attack can do hefty damage to your little bird. In fact, I'd just run 252 Spe Adamant. on Talon now.
Rotom-w
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Pain Split / Rest
ability: Levitate
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

Landorus-t
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Stone Edge / Knock Off / Hidden Power Ice
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant / Naughty
evs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def

Mega Scizor
move 1: Defog
move 2: Roost
move 3: Bullet Punch / Knock Off
move 4: U-turn
ability: Technician
item: Scizorite / Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / Def 252 / Atk 4

Note: read the bold for "tl;dr" tbh lol

Mandibuzz is one of my favorite Pokémon in team, she can actually stop TALONFLAME. Talonflame is no threat at all, it is easily counterable with Mega Manectric as well. Same as is Mega Pinsir.
HOWEVER, I can see point of playing Scizor, I'll test some games...

P.S. Reason of playing Excadrill is, that I can OHKO Rotom, set-up SR and Spin away opponent's hazard without losing my own.

Rotom-w isn't really a problem with Amoonguss, though. And yah, true, I completely forgot about MegaManectric having Intimidate, however, it's still not quite as bulky, and it lacks the amazing typing Rotom-w provides your team with. Perhaps using Rotom-w and MegaScizor, though, will give you some edge against your opponent. And if you're using Mandibuzz, you can use a more specially defensive Rotom-w set, so it can counter Greninja, something you could have some problems with. And, for MegaScizor EVs, I like these a lot more: Adamant Nature, 248 HP / 136 Atk / 32 SDef / 92 Spd

Scizor is very risky due to another Fire weakness...
I don't want to play Rotom over Sylveon and I don't want to change my base core...

Landorous can OKO-2KO both M-Venusaur and Tyranitar while also learning U-Turn if you want to add to the VoltTurn core.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (96.5 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 218-260 (53.9 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 260-307 (71.4 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

M-Pinsir can also OKO both w/ Frustration & Close Combat respectively (2KO's TTar w/ EQ)

Landorous can OKO-2KO both M-Venusaur and Tyranitar while also learning U-Turn if you want to add to the VoltTurn core.

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (96.5 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 218-260 (53.9 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 260-307 (71.4 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

M-Pinsir can also OKO both w/ Frustration & Close Combat respectively (2KO's TTar w/ EQ)
It seems as a good idea... however I don't know who should leave my team for Landorus...

I am also quite a sad, because Landorus is pretty hard to get... and you can't breed him for IV and nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)