Need Help With Playing Against TR

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Phasing moves, Taunt, fishing for flinches, Fake Out + super effective hit, strong double targets are ways to stop TR from being set up in the first place.

good Trick Room players will often be able to get the Trick Room up regardless, that's where Trick Room check Pokemon (Amoonguss being a prime example) or bulky Pokemon in general come in play to help handle the opposing team while Trick Room is up, or just be able to take the onslaught of hits until its over. Protect stalling turns of Trick Room is also important, and making sure you have something out to check their Trick Room setter if its still alive when trick room runs out.

also I think you're supposed to have permission to post threads

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
nah u dont need permission to post threads though this could probably have gone in SQSA

a good anti-tr combo for offensive teams is skymin + kang; most tr teams rely on fake out to beat skymin so packing ur own fake out makes it much harder for them to deal with the grass (BAN ME PLEASE) before trick room goes up.

things that are generally good vs tr: serene grace flinchers, strong dark/ghost attackers, spore users (not super great cuz tr really preps for these now), sub users (esp aegislash), fake out (mostly kang because weav/ape are frail and scrafty doesnt rly work on non-tr teams), taunt users (especially where they wouldnt be expected), and pokes that outslow common trick room team pokes though these can often be hard to use on teams which aren't TR themselves.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Generally strong Dark types are your easiest bet to fit on any team. Hydreigon or Bisharp are obvious. Sub Aegislash is amazing for it too, as is LO Aegislash (and somewhat Gogs Aeg if Amoonguss is your main problem). Genesect is good too. Quash Sableye. Talonflame. Azumarill. Your own TR to reverse. Plenty of Protect never hurt either. Sash mons frequently can be useful too.

Beyond that the biggest thing is playing aggressively to keep TR from going up, or once it does, being primed to take advantage of it the turn TR wears off.

roar is actually smthg i have been hearing about lately to stop it. u can roar them faster than they can set up tr, so maybe roar keldeo or stuff if u can spare the moveslot. not much to add to whats been said above. hydreigon and aegislash pair and do well vs tr teams so maybe include them

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
the issue I find with roar is that it does what taunt does but is more specific, the only specific case I can think of where roar>taunt (in general) would be something carrying mental herb

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
And good tr players will often predict taunt/roar and tect it while switching or redirect it, or predict taunt and just attack

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh well if you want to beat fangame specifically, Stealth Rock works wonders if he tries to use Chandelure mid game, while anything multi hit can ruin it turn 1. Fake out lead + Mega Heracross comes to mind.

Not that I recommend using Mega Hera ever... But it does wreck his standard build.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
bisharp is such a SOFT CT to trick room it's not even funny

jesus christ

in trick room bisharp kangaskhan and thundurus are the nazis, skymin is hitler, and everything setting trick room is jewish. all of the attacking mons however are french and can help the setter hide from air slash flinches and taunts.

Bisharp alone really isn't enough to check tr. You ready have to be able to beat the classic cress + scrafty lead to be able to beat tr consistently, and Bisharp can't do that alone. Fast fake out and offensive pressure and or taunt is the best way to do it. That's one of the reasons why kang is so good against tr; it does both the aforementioned roles, and can tank scrafty's piss weak drain punch. It's a shame there are only a handful of viable fake out users.

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Bisharp alone really isn't enough to check tr. You ready have to be able to beat the classic cress + scrafty lead to be able to beat tr consistently, and Bisharp can't do that alone. Fast fake out and offensive pressure and or taunt is the best way to do it. That's one of the reasons why kang is so good against tr; it does both the aforementioned roles, and can tank scrafty's piss weak drain punch. It's a shame there are only a handful of viable fake out users.
I strictly never run cress first and people who do run cress turn 1 are not good TR players.It's basically asking the opponet to kill cress after the first few turns. Cress is a late game setter

Stratos can confirm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)