Move Natural Gift (Potential uses)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just viewing over this move as of X & Y this move now has access to 100 base power berries of every type including fairy < < <. While in B&W this move seemed lack luster the 20 base power increase, I feel, makes it seem quite a bit more viable. This in conjunction with Unburden/Harvest can lead to some great coverage move synergy as well as open more viability with certain pokemon.
BATTLE TEXT:
The user draws power to attack by using its held Berry. The Berry determines its type and power.

Base 100 Berrys

Watmel Berry

Durin Berry

Belue Berry

Salac Berry

so on and so forth. . . Here are reference for every berry and its corresponding power.

Current Harvest Natural Gift Users:

Current Unburden Users:

Most Notable Natural Gift Users:

@ Ground/Grass/Fighting
@ Fire

@ Ice/Fire/Ground/etc

@ Psychic

* (252+ Atk Breloom Natural Gift vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 280-330 (76.9 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock This is if they go for the switch in predicting the spore. )

I can update with sets if any of you see the potential in this move. I just haven't seen a thread posted about this and wanted to bring it up for discussion to see if the access to it can increase coverage viability in its potential users.

Notable Sets:

Talonflame@ Apicot Berry -If held by a Pokémon, it raises its Sp. Def stat in a pinch
Nature: Adamant/Careful
Evs: 252 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Spe

Moves:

- Brave Bird/Acrobatics
- Natural Gift (Ground 100)
- Roost
- Flare Blitz/Will o Wisp

Damage Calculations:

252+ Atk Talonflame Natural Gift vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 336-396 (87 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Talonflame Natural Gift vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 336-396 (87 - 102.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Talonflame Natural Gift vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Alternatively you could use Salac Berry if your team is afraid of Ttar:

252+ Atk Talonflame Natural Gift vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 162-192 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Talonflame Natural Gift vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 324-384 (95 - 112.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Chou's Talonflame
If I were gonna go with Talonflame though, I'd give Acrobatics a look over. Once you smash the enemy with Natural Gift, now you can abuse the full 110 Acrobatics power and avoid Brave Bird's Recoil. You can still always rely on Flare Blitz until you get Natural Gift off.

Talonflame
Adamant
252 ATK 4 DEF 252 SPE
pick your berry
-Acrobatics
-Flare Blitz
-Natural Gift
-Swords Dance

Pretty simple, Swords Dance as they bring in their counter, and smash it with a +2 super effective Natural Gift. Then go on a sweep with +2 Acrobatics / Flare Blitz.

There also seems like there could be some fun potential of abusing Salac Berry and its original purpose of boosting Speed, but without being able to find a slot for Substitute, that idea's pretty limited unless you get really lucky with a good damage roll (and then Flare Blitz would pretty much kill you so... probably not).

OG Gyarados

Gyarados @ Liechi/Watmel
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Intimidate/Moxie

88 HP/248 Atk/4Def/168 Spe

Dragon Dance
Water Fall
Natural Gift
Ice Fang/Earthquake

a few years ago someone in SPL used a Natural gift Gyarados with watmel berry to specifically destroy Ferrothorn, and I do believe he ended up winning. I don't remember the exact EV's but with Liechi Berry +1 248 Atk Liechi Berry Gyarados Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO and against bold natured it's a free Liechi boost

Last edited:
Talonflame is a pretty good user of this move--it can get some major damage on Rotom W with the berry that makes it grass type, although I haven't seen that run too often.

One of the best users may be Talonflame it gives it a way to hit Heatran.

While the Harvest users are better off keeping a Sitrus Berry or a Lum berry to work on stalling a team out.

While most of the unburden users can't learn it, or benefit from the use of other items more.

One of the best users may be Talonflame it gives it a way to hit Heatran.

While the Harvest users are better off keeping a Sitrus Berry or a Lum berry to work on stalling a team out.

While most of the unburden users can't learn it, or benefit from the use of other items more.
that is a nice idea.

Talon Flame @ Apicot Berry
Adamant
252 ATK/252 HP/4 SpD

Natural Gift
Brave Bird
Roost
Flare Blitz/WoW

Also if you don't get to use it for its intended purpose it also serves as a Spdef booster letting you take hits better. and not be locked into a move with choice band.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If I were gonna go with Talonflame though, I'd give Acrobatics a look over. Once you smash the enemy with Natural Gift, now you can abuse the full 110 Acrobatics power and avoid Brave Bird's Recoil. You can still always rely on Flare Blitz until you get Natural Gift off.

Talonflame
Adamant
252 ATK 4 DEF 252 SPE
pick your berry
-Acrobatics
-Flare Blitz
-Natural Gift
-Swords Dance

Pretty simple, Swords Dance as they bring in their counter, and smash it with a +2 super effective Natural Gift. Then go on a sweep with +2 Acrobatics / Flare Blitz.

There also seems like there could be some fun potential of abusing Salac Berry and its original purpose of boosting Speed, but without being able to find a slot for Substitute, that idea's pretty limited unless you get really lucky with a good damage roll (and then Flare Blitz would pretty much kill you so... probably not).

Talonflame
Adamant
252 ATK 4 DEF 252 SPE
pick your berry
-Acrobatics
-Flare Blitz
-Natural Gift
-Swords Dance

I had updated the OP earlier with the Acrobatics as an option. I can always put it as alternative with brave bird instead of with Flare blitz as having 2 flying moves would be kinda pointless.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Cloyster can run Liechi Berry (100 BP grass-type) to get past bulky water types like Quagsire and Rotom-W. Occasionally it can also give a +1 attack boost if for some reason Cloyster finds itself within the activation range so it's not entirely wasted if you don't need to hit them.

Yes, which is why Harvest (regains consumed Berries), Acrobatics (doubled base power when item is consumed), and Unburden (Speed is doubled when item is consumed) are being discussed. Please do some research next time, this info is available in many places.

Cloyster can run Liechi Berry (100 BP grass-type) to get past bulky water types like Quagsire and Rotom-W. Occasionally it can also give a +1 attack boost if for some reason Cloyster finds itself within the activation range so it's not entirely wasted if you don't need to hit them.
Cloyster is usually better off with Kings Rock unfortunately, as it lets him potentially get past those two as well as his other defensive checks.

My favourite user of Natural gift:

Azumarill @ Lansat Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Jolly
- Natural Gift
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Simple and devastating. Speed is maxed to ensure you'll outspeed M-Venusaur, which often hit 200 speed to creep Adamant BD Azu. Flying-typed Natural Gift cleanly OHKO's even max/max M-Venu, along with virtually every other Grass type, even Ferrothorn with some prior damage:
  • +6 252 Atk Huge Power Azumarill (No Move) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 287-338 (81.5 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It also covers Fighting types, reducing the need for Play Rough. Knock Off covers Lati@s and does a minimum of 80% to max/max Skarmory, so it only needs to switch into SR twice (including one turn of Lefties recovery) to be cleanly OHKO'd.

I've had a lot of success with this version, getting one of my favourite offensive teams above 1950 on PS. Definitely give it a try - I like using it with Breloom, which appreciates M-Venu and other Grass types being removed, and uses Quagsire, the only common counter to this set, as setup fodder.

Cloyster is usually better off with Kings Rock unfortunately, as it lets him potentially get past those two as well as his other defensive checks.

My favourite user of Natural gift:

Azumarill @ Lansat Berry
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, Jolly
- Natural Gift
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Simple and devastating. Speed is maxed to ensure you'll outspeed M-Venusaur, which often hit 200 speed to creep Adamant BD Azu. Flying-typed Natural Gift cleanly OHKO's even max/max M-Venu, along with virtually every other Grass type, even Ferrothorn with some prior damage:
  • +6 252 Atk Huge Power Azumarill (No Move) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 287-338 (81.5 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
It also covers Fighting types, reducing the need for Play Rough. Knock Off covers Lati@s and does a minimum of 80% to max/max Skarmory, so it only needs to switch into SR twice (including one turn of Lefties recovery) to be cleanly OHKO'd.

I've had a lot of success with this version, getting one of my favourite offensive teams above 1950 on PS. Definitely give it a try - I like using it with Breloom, which appreciates M-Venu and other Grass types being removed, and uses Quagsire, the only common counter to this set, as setup fodder.
Good suggestion. Will add this to the OP

I'm surprised the OG wasn't the first thing in the thread

Gyarados @ Liechi/Watmel

Dragon Dance
Water Fall
Natural Gift
Ice Fang/Earthquake

a few years ago someone in SPL used a Natural gift Gyarados with watmel berry to specifically destroy Ferrothorn, and I do believe he ended up winning. I don't remember the exact EV's but with Liechi Berry +1 248 Atk Liechi Berry Gyarados Natural Gift (100 BP Grass) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 300-354 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO and against bold natured it's a free Liechi boost

I'm surprised the OG wasn't the first thing in the thread

Gyarados @ Liechi/Watmel

Dragon Dance
Water Fall
Natural Gift
Ice Fang/Earthquake

If you want your gyarados to take out Rotom you should probably slap a Gyaradosite on it instead; moldy earthquake is equally powerful against it, much less situational, and reusable. It also lets you demolish Venusaur with moldy Ice Fang. Meanwhile, non-BB Skarmory and Gyro Ball Ferrothorn are handled well by taunt, so pretty much the only reason to use Natural Gift with Mega Gyarados around is if you want to use a defensive Gyarados that can handle Ferro, but even then, you lose leftovers.

Last edited:
That's true. But if you do not want to spend your mega on Gyarados and something like Pinsir or Venusaur, and keep that ground immunity and Intimidate, it is still an option.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would never use Acrobatics with a Berry on Talonflame, as before you use Natural Gift you lack a strong priority move. Yeah, Talonflame will sometimes use Natural Gift first and then Acrobatics, but let's not forget one of Talonflame's most important roles: revenge killing. Good luck revenge killing stuff with a 55 BP move, and good luck sweeping in games where the opponent won't send in a Pokemon weak to your Natural Gift's type.

Also, i would never forgo Play Rough on Azumarill. Azumarill's strength lies not only in its sweeping abilities, but also in its ability to check a plethora of dangerous offensive Pokemon, such as Greninja, Latios, Latias, Dragonite, Mega Charizard X, Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar (if it has Crunch), and Mega Gyarados. And to check those Pokemon you need Play Rough. Aqua Jet is obviously a must, so the only move that can be replaced is Waterfall, so if you want to use Natural Gift use it in the place of Waterfall, although you will be walled by Skarmory, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn (after consuming the berry), which sucks. Not to mention the lack of Sitrus Berry, which makes setting up even more difficult. There is also the fact that Mega Venusaur is incredibly easy to wear down, so proper team support is a way better option to prepare Azumarill's sweep than handicapping Azumarill.

In general, Natural Gift is a viable gimmick only on Pokemon that either don't have much better options or need very few moves to function properly, and obviously can function properly even without an item. Talonflame is a good example of this, as due to its poor movepool, the only two really good attacking moves it has for SD sets are Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, so fitting Natural Gift in is not that hard.

Outside of Talonflame though, i am really struggling to find another viable user of this move. Maybe SD + Baton Pass + Seed Bomb + Natural Gift Ground Celebi could have some use, as a lure of sorts for Pokemon such as Heatran and Aegislash? (Mega Mawile and Bisharp too, but those two are likely to Sucker Punch for the KO, making it more risky). Though Celebi is not the best Pokemon in this metagame and has a lot of weaknesses to cover. Idk, i need to try it out...

Natural Gift doesn't really seem like a great idea on a defensive Harvest set. The only two berries your going to use are Lum and Sitrus. If your using Lum, Exeggutor already has access to Psychic and doesn't need a 80bp flying attack from Sitrus. Similarly, Tropius has access to Air Slash for flying STAB and doesn't need a psychic type move because it has a bit of 4 move slot syndrome. Lastly, since natural gift won't hit hard from a defensive pokemon you'll have to use it multiple times. As a result of this you essentially lose the healing effect of the Sitrus berry for a little more power which can be dangerous since Tropius and Exeggutors bulk isn't all that great. I guess you could technically run an offensive set with Exeggutor but without Chlorophyll it's not really fast enough.

Natural gift works best on set up sweepers with a great stab combination or enough coverage to deal with most metagame threats in just two moveslots.

A good example is chlorophyll sawsbuck. You see, when sun wasn't nerfed, sawsbuck was one of the premiere physical sweepers under the sun, hitting really damn hard with stab double edge/ return , gaining health with horn leech to maintain its sweep, and having a decent moveset to deal with its supposed checks, such as jump kick for tran and other steels like ferrothorn, wild charge for skarmory and hitting gengar for good damage (while also hitting volcanion coming up in the future), etc.

However, in 6th gen, there are some things that sawsbuck cannot touch (this is due to the changes in mechanics to nature power which now turns into tri attack, as opposed to earthquake last generation), like aegislash. However, thanks to natural gift buffs, sawsbuck gained a one time weapon against its supposed aegislash check. With a watmel berry and boosted sun, after a predicted switch going for swords dance sawsbuck kills aegislash.

+2 252+ Atk Watmel Berry Sawsbuck Natural Gift (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield in Sun: 422-498 (130.2 - 153.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

This also works against steels that are not hit super effectively by any of sawsbuck's normal coverage moves, such as jirachi, metagross, bronzong.
It also works against more physically defensive grass types such as gourgeist-xl, chesnaught, tangrowth, etc.

Alternatively, you can use an ice variant for the flying/ground nuisances, and mandibuzz (you have wild charge though).

and you still can sweep the rest of the team with grass normal coverage if possible.

Other natural gift users may or may not include:

Weavile: use flying, for mega venu, fighting types like conkeldurr, keldeo. Or grass for azumarill (you still have poison jab so...) or quagsire.
Shiftry: sort of like sawsbuck, may be different depending on its typing.
scizor: use fire for skarm, or grass for quagsire, or electric for bulky gyarados and other water types.

Last edited:
I think Natural Gift makes it very easy to form lures, for example:

Scizor @ Micle Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Punch
- Defog/SD
- U-Turn/Knock Off

That gives Scizor a perfect accuracy 100 BP Rock move, pokemon that would have previously felt very comfortable switching in (a non-mega evolved charizard, using Scizor as an easy switch in to mega evolve) find themselves OHKO'd on the switch. That's maybe not the most fantastically useful example, but it does show how you can tailor Natural Gift to a specific role. Also a lot of people discussed using a Freeze-Dry Mamoswine as a Rotom-W lure, I'd imagine a Liechi Berry (100 BP Grass) Natural Gift Mamoswine might do the trick just as well.

Something worth mentioning is that all Gen IV pokemon could have this move through a TM, so its distribution is pretty wide to say the least.

I think Natural Gift makes it very easy to form lures, for example:

Scizor @ Micle Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Punch
- Defog/SD
- U-Turn/Knock Off

That gives Scizor a perfect accuracy 100 BP Rock move, pokemon that would have previously felt very comfortable switching in (a non-mega evolved charizard, using Scizor as an easy switch in to mega evolve) find themselves OHKO'd on the switch. That's maybe not the most fantastically useful example, but it does show how you can tailor Natural Gift to a specific role. Also a lot of people discussed using a Freeze-Dry Mamoswine as a Rotom-W lure, I'd imagine a Liechi Berry (100 BP Grass) Natural Gift Mamoswine might do the trick just as well.

Something worth mentioning is that all Gen IV pokemon could have this move through a TM, so its distribution is pretty wide to say the least.
The only problem with the distribution is some pokemon lose more than they gain as certain abilities/egg move combinations become illegal.

Also, i would never forgo Play Rough on Azumarill. Azumarill's strength lies not only in its sweeping abilities, but also in its ability to check a plethora of dangerous offensive Pokemon, such as Greninja, Latios, Latias, Dragonite, Mega Charizard X, Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar (if it has Crunch), and Mega Gyarados. And to check those Pokemon you need Play Rough. Aqua Jet is obviously a must, so the only move that can be replaced is Waterfall, so if you want to use Natural Gift use it in the place of Waterfall, although you will be walled by Skarmory, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn (after consuming the berry), which sucks. Not to mention the lack of Sitrus Berry, which makes setting up even more difficult. There is also the fact that Mega Venusaur is incredibly easy to wear down, so proper team support is a way better option to prepare Azumarill's sweep than handicapping Azumarill.
Well yes, Play Rough and Knock Off are the options for the final slot in the set I posted. I chose Knock Off to make it a superior sweeper (being able to get past Skarmory and Ferrothorn is huge, whereas Play Rough's benefits after the boost are pretty limited). It still hits the Lati's, allows few safe switchins, and handles other problematic mons like Aegislash and Jirachi. Most of the threats you mentioned Play Rough hits, are hit just as or nearly as effectively by Aqua Jet, Knock Off, or Flying Natural Gift. Knock Off should definitely be the primary option imo, it greatly reduces the number of things which wall you, and only slightly cuts your effectiveness at checking most of what you have to.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well yes, Play Rough and Knock Off are the options for the final slot in the set I posted. I chose Knock Off to make it a superior sweeper (being able to get past Skarmory and Ferrothorn is huge, whereas Play Rough's benefits after the boost are pretty limited). It still hits the Lati's, allows few safe switchins, and handles other problematic mons like Aegislash and Jirachi. Most of the threats you mentioned Play Rough hits, are hit just as or nearly as effectively by Aqua Jet, Knock Off, or Flying Natural Gift. Knock Off should definitely be the primary option imo, it greatly reduces the number of things which wall you, and only slightly cuts your effectiveness at checking most of what you have to.
The thing is that with Knock Off and no Play Rough you can't revenge kill Mega Gyarados, Dragonite, Greninja, and Mega Tyranitar, all of which are very big threats with great sweeping potential, and failing to check them could make the difference between winning or losing a game. Also, you can't rely on a one-time use Natural Gift that doesn't provide any coverage outside of hitting Mega Venusaur and it doesn't do enough damage to the threats you mention anyway when unboosted. Effective sweepers need to have utility even before setting up, and Play Rough-less Azumarill has very little utility before setting up. You are using Azumarill for two main reasons, ability to check a ton of stuff and great late-game sweeping potential, and forfeiting the first is a no go.

Natural Gift is already pretty gimmicky and unreliable, but using it on a Pokemon that really needs its 4 standard attacking moves (Waterfall or Knock Off on the last slot) on the BD set is unacceptable.

Last edited:
The thing is that with Knock Off and no Play Rough you can't revenge kill Mega Gyarados, Dragonite, Greninja, and Mega Tyranitar, all of which are very big threats with great sweeping potential, and failing to check them could make the difference between winning or losing a game. Also, you can't rely on a one-time use Natural Gift that doesn't provide any coverage outside of hitting Mega Venusaur and it doesn't do enough damage to the threats you mention anyway when unboosted. Effective sweepers need to have utility even before setting up, and Play Rough-less Azumarill has very little utility before setting up. You are using Azumarill for two main reasons, ability to check a ton of stuff and great late-game sweeping potential, and forfeiting the first is a no go.

Natural Gift is already pretty gimmicky and unreliable, but using it on a Pokemon that really needs its 4 standard attacking moves (Waterfall or Knock Off on the last slot) on the BD set is unacceptable.
To be fair I think the only ones you can truly revenge kill out of those listed would be mega gya but even then it depends on a bit of factors. While I am not arguing the importance of play rough as the stab ridiculous damage is essential. I personally don't know if in would run knock off over play rough. Alternatively I may not do the BD in risk of SR damage making me prematurely use the berry. Would have to do damage calcs to see which move slot is more essential. I would however give her set a try. It would as simple as adding scarf chomp to cover azus coverage loss that could easily revenge kill the above listed threats.

I feel as "gimmicky" as it may be, it can be very game changing as odds are that one pokemon is their hard and possibly only counter to you and the loss of an item slot in a knock off meta only seems to further that niche. Who knows maybe OR/AS it won't consume berry and be able to use that type until the berry is consumed. But that's for the theory thread ;) lol

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would never use Acrobatics with a Berry on Talonflame, as before you use Natural Gift you lack a strong priority move. Yeah, Talonflame will sometimes use Natural Gift first and then Acrobatics, but let's not forget one of Talonflame's most important roles: revenge killing. Good luck revenge killing stuff with a 55 BP move, and good luck sweeping in games where the opponent won't send in a Pokemon weak to your Natural Gift's type.
I also agree that brave bird's reliability will almost always be more beneficial; it's just like how Fling Acrobatics Gliscor is interesting on paper but really awkward in practice. I just wanted to point out the interesting synergy Acrobatics has with Natural Gift. Also unlike Gliscor's Flying/Ground coverage, Talonflame's Fire/Flying coverage have a lot more overlap in hitting threats (very few mons available immune to fire), and Talonflame's Speed allows it to be pretty reliable with a Flare Blitz even before Natural Gift goes off. It would of course, be generally really awkward in practice though.

I think Acrobatics would be more worth taking a look at in the context of a double bird team where Pinsir's Quick Attack could help you cover the revenge kills.

Even in that context, you'd usually think of the Natural Gift Talonflame as the can opener that allows a Pinsir sweep (and thus BB's reliability also fits that role better). IMO though, Swords Dance is highly desired to make Natural Gift most effective, so your TF will inevitably have sweeping potential. Also Pinsir's insane Return makes it better suited as the better wall breaker of the two generally.

I'd say Acrobatics is an interesting option that should be considered and kept in mind, but not chosen for 90%+ of teams.

Scizor @ Apicot Berry
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Natural Gift
- Bullet Punch
- Acrobatics

I haven't tried this out, but I think it could make use of natural gift. Apicot Berry allows it to have a base 100 ground move which could kill heatran and other fire types. Once natural gift is used, It could damage keldeo with acrobatics.
It would JUST be heatran and scizor doesn't out speed Heatran anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)