My team.

Hello everyone.
This is my first attempt at making a pokemon team to play online. Since it's my first time, I don't have much to say about the attacks, like it's used as a STAB agaisnt a stall, and etc. I'm not yet familiar with what most of those terms mean :P
So, without further ado, here's my team. Any advice/help will be highly apreciated! :D

Swampert
Nature: Relaxed
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 176 HP/200 Atk/131 SpAtk
Moveset:
- Hydro Cannon
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Swampert's always been one of my favourite pokemons. He can be offensive, defensive or both at the same time. He's my lead mainly because of his only weakness being grass, and because he's the only user of Stealth Rock. Earthquake is there because it's Swampert's best STAB move (according to Smogon), and still hits hard on those who resist it. However, certain pokemons like Flygon, Gliscor and Dragonite have lately became a problem, as well as some grass pokemons, so I decided to ease things by putting Ice Beam. Surf is there just to take out Fire-type pokemons.

Gengar
Nature: Timid
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

As Swampert, Gengar has always been one of my favourites. In fact, half of this team is made of my favourite pokemon. Pain Split acts like a third attacking move capable of muscling through typical counters with massive HP stats such as Blissey, Chansey, and Snorlax. Furthermore, Pain Split works perfectly in conjunction with Substitute and Life Orb, and even benefits from the residual damage from sandstorm and hail. The closer Gengar's health bar gets to zero, the more HP Gengar can suck away from its opponents. Gengar's coverage is impressive, and it can act as a fail-safe sweeper at any given time even with the absence of an extra coverage move. Focus Blast helps with a lot of pokemons who menace my Gengar, and Life Orb helps to 2HKO a stealth rock'd Blissey or Chansey. Substitute helps a lot because it's not easy to find a pokemon that can scratch a Pain Split Life Orb Gengar, much less its Substitute.

Scizor
Nature: Adamant
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb (haven't decided)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moveset:
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Aerial Ace/Swords Dance

Scizor has always been "that" beast. Everyone who faces him probably has a hard time, he's a top threat not only due to his impressive range of resistance added to his decent bulk, he also has the Technician ability, which in conjuction with his 130 attack base and Bullet Punch, is fearsome. While neither of Scizor's STABs is particularly potent offensively, what U-turn and Bullet Punch lack in coverage, they more than make up for in utility. STAB Technician Bullet Punch, when boosted by a Choice Band or Swords Dance, is a terrifically powerful priority move, which grants Scizor revenge killing and sweeping potential sure to be valued by any team. Scizor also possesses excellent scouting capability thanks to STAB U-turn, which does huge damage to opposing Pokemon whilst giving a teammate a free switch-in. Scizor is the only Bug-type that isn't weak to Stealth Rock to get U-turn, making it arguably the greatest abuser of the move in the game. Moving on to the next pokemon.

Jolteon
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Charge Beam
- Volt Switch

Jolteon is my third favourite. Why? Because he is one fast son of a gun. Although he has poor defenses, if you play in favor of his strengths, he can wreck havoc on weakened teams in a blink of an eye. Charge Beam is the primary option in the first moveslot, as it allows Jolteon to deal damage while often boosting its Special Attack; this is particularly useful when Jolteon is picking off a weakened Pokemon, as it will be able to not only KO the Pokemon, but raise its Special Attack in the process. Work Up can be used instead, as while it does no damage, it is a surefire way to raise Jolteon's Special Attack, and is particularly useful when an opposing Pokemon switches out to a counter or Ground-type. As with the above set, Thunderbolt is Jolteon's STAB move, while your Hidden Power of choice is employed to hit specific targets. HP Grass is used mainly to take out Swamperts. Volt Switch is used in the final slot just to take him out without having any unlucky switch ins.

Latias
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 SpAtk/252 Spe
Moveset:
- Surf
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power (Fire)

While most conventional Latias sets attempt to support the team or sweep over a long period of time, this set turns Latias into an immediate offensive threat. Latias will still provide a useful defensive pivot, but can also maintain offensive momentum. Draco Meteor is the main weapon in Latias's arsenal, dealing heavy damage to anything that does not resist it. Surf provides excellent neutral coverage alongside Draco Meteor, and is a safe opening move that won't lower your Special Attack. It should be noted that the combination of Surf followed up with Draco Meteor can help with Latias's Pursuit weakness, as it will always 2HKO a 248 HP Scizor after Stealth Rock. Recover allows Latias to switch in multiple times during the course of a match and mitigates Life Orb recoil. Hidden Power Fire is the primary option because it cleanly OHKOs all forms of Scizor.

Machamp
Nature: Adamant
Item: Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP/252 Atk/44 Spe
Moveset:
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Thunderpunch
- Substitute

Machamp's main selling point nowadays is access to a perfect accuracy DynamicPunch, thanks to its great ability, No Guard. This, in combination with its massive base 130 Attack, means he is an absolute terror to face in battle. However, since his Speed is pretty low and he only has slightly above average bulk, he isn't necessarily built to last. Additionally, DynamicPunch has a measly 8 PP, which can be gone before you know it during extended battles. Already one of the most infuriating Pokemon to face, Substitute takes this to a whole different level by preventing easy revenge kills and forcing people to attack Machamp through confusion. DynamicPunch is the primary STAB option here, as the 100% confusion rate makes it exceedingly hard to play around. Stone Edge provides good coverage by hitting the Flying-types who resist its STAB, such as Zapdos and Crobat, super effectively; it also has the bonus of never missing due to No Guard. ThunderPunch is used almost exclusively for Slowbro and Suicune, as the former is a hard counter to Machamp and the latter can easily wear down all its PP due to Pressure. However, in order to actually get past either one, you might have to get a bit lucky in terms on confusion. The given Speed EVs ensure Machamp outpaces 0 Speed Porygon2, Swampert and Empoleon, but more can be used to make sure you beat those who invest a bit as well. Attack is then maximized to do as much damage as possible, and the rest of the EVs are thrown into HP so that Machamp takes hits a bit better.

That's all, folks! Thanks for your time, and in advance for you advice. ;D

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
First off, you only have one Uber (Latias) and the only other Pokemon you have that is viable in Ubers is Scizor.

Also, Volt Switch did not exist until Gen 5. You cannot use it in Gen 4.

Either way, it seems to me that you have no knowledge of the metagame, so I can't rate this.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It doesn't have anything to do with lurking more - it's obvious that this is an OU team that happens to have Latias in it and so needs to be in Ubers. I'll give it an OU rate.

First of all, with Swampert, use either Surf or Roar over Hydro Cannon: the former gives another reliable STAB with excellent coverage, the latter a phazing move which is never bad to have. Also a max Def or Sp. Def EV spread is likely more useful, as Swampert is predominantly a defensive Pokemon in this role.

Scizor should have either Pursuit or Swords Dance in the last slot, as Aerial Ace does not do anything particularly useful, even though it may be boosted by Technician.

In 4th gen, Volt Switch does not exist, nor is Quick Feet available for Jolteon. You should use either Substitute or Baton Pass over Volt Switch and Volt Absorb over Quick Feet.

The Latias set looks good, as Soul Dew is not available in 4th gen where Latias is allowed in OU. You may wish to consider Dragon Pulse over Surf, as this lets it sweep more easily late game.

Some weaknesses I can see straight away are Scarf Rotom-A, especially H and W, as these can sweep your team easily with STAB and the accompanying attack. To handle these, give Scizor Pursuit to revenge kill Rotom-A locked into Shadow Ball. As uncommon as it is, SD Weavile can OHKO everything at +2 after Stealth Rock except Swampert. Scizor is your only counter to Weavile while it handily defeats Latias, Jolteon and Gengar due to Dark STAB, Pursuit, and Ice Shard.

This is what I came up with off the top of my head. Bear in mind this is only valid for 4th Gen OU, not for Ubers.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mikel, Latias is Uber in gen 4. Either way, just because it has one Uber doesn't mean it was intended for OU. If it has an Uber in it, it's an Ubers team and that's that. It's more likely he intended it to be a 5th gen OU team (in which case it needs to be moved), but even then it's still bad (Swampert isn't good at all, Scizor's set isn't good, Latias needs fixing, Machamp is not that good anymore, etc.)

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, he could be from Pokemon Lab as the "Standard" tier allows Mence and Latias (i.e. is from before the latter tier shifts).

Otherwise I agree, it's not a great team at the moment, but with some fixes and changes could be reasonable. I was just trying to help in case it was meant to be 4th Gen OU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)