Battle Spot My First Gen VII BSS Team.

INTRODUCTION
Hello guys! TH638 here, bringing you my first Gen VII BSS team. I played a lot of ORAS BSS back in the day, and I hope to reach the same level I had back then. Without further ado, here is the team I want to show you guys.
TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:

Definitely my favorite Pokemon of Gen VII, I felt like I had to build a team around an AV Buzzwole first.

Just to be safe in this new meta, I added good ol' Policy Aegislash, a Pokemon I knew was still very effective. Plus, it eased Buzzwole's Mega Salamence and Tapu Lele problem.

The two Pokemon I picked had issues with Heatran and Mega Venusaur, so I picked DD Mega Salamence.

Because Tapu Koko and Suicune gave my team issues, I chose Band Tapu Bulu, who also gave me a weapon in the Terrain war that's going on. Plus, it helps Buzzwole and Aegislash with recovery!

Just because I had my own Mega Salamence didn't necessarily mean I would be golden against it. Also, a new threat by the name of Mimikyu pestered my team, so I picked defensive Zapdos in this slot.

Shoutout to Staraptor 4 UU for this pick. Originally, we had picked Alolan Muk here to neuter the Greninja problem, but then I noticed a dangerous Mega Charizard X/Y weakness. We then decided that Scarf Nihilego would be good here.
THE TEAM:

Buzzwole@Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 148 HP/180 Atk/180 SpDef
Moves:
-Hammer Arm
-Leech Life
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
FLEX
(I am actually debating on a more defensively oriented set with Roost and Leftovers, to counter Mega Lopunny when it comes out and also handle Mega Kangaskhan better. Thoughts?)
This thing is extremely dangerous at near full health because almost all of the time it will take whatever neutral attack comes its way. Hammer Arm is used instead of Superpower to keep the defense high. Leech Life is a must with Assault Vest to have some form of recovery, and it also deals with Psyshock users and Hydreigon. Earthquake prevents Buzzwole from being helpless against Aegislash and it also handles Tapu Koko. Ice Punch helps against Garchomp and Landorus-T, the latter of whom would resist all of Buzzwole's moves if the move was excluded. 148 HP along with 180 SpD ensures that Buzzwole can take 2 Thunderbolts from 252 non-boosting item Xuriktree at +0 without Stealth Rock, and the rest is dumped into Attack, which coincidentally 2HKOes 252/252+ Porygon2 with Hammer Arm.

Aegislash@Weakness Policy
Quiet Nature+0 Spe IVs
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 Atk
Moves:
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-King's Shield
-Flash Cannon
still broken af lol
You know you can't go wrong with this one! Being able to take on threats like Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu is super useful this Gen, and the ever-powerful Mega Salamence is still threatening, so Aegislash is perfect on nearly any team, including this one. The moveset and spread is your common Aegislash build, so nothing particularly different and interesting to point out here.

Salamence@Salamencite
Jolly Nature
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Moves:
-Dragon Dance
-Return
-Earthquake
-Roost
120 spe on mega turn gg
Mega Salamence is perfect to handle things like Heatran and sweep. The change to Mega Evolution really helps Salamence in taking on things like non-Scarf Nihilego and Serperior(without getting paralyzed). Other than that, this is the standard DDMence that crushed dreams last generation, and still continues to do so.

Tapu Bulu@Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 116 HP/ 252 Atk/ 140 Spe
Moves:
-Wood Hammer
-Zen Headbutt
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
resistances are bs
Band Bulu is an insane wallbreaker, and is also my Tapu Koko check and Suicune counter. The Grassy Terrain helps Aegislash, Buzzwole and Nihilego since they all appreciate recovery. Wood Hammer is obligatory STAB, Zen Headbutt for Mega Venusaur and Gengar, Superpower for Heatran and Magnezone, and Stone Edge for Flying-types. The 140 Spe is to outspeed everything up to Modest non-Scarf Magnezone and the rest is maximum Attack and whatever remains goes to HP.

Zapdos@Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature+0 Atk IVs
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Moves:
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power Ice
-Roost
hi kangaskhan and mimikyu
My trusty Mega Salamence and Mimikyu counter, and the bane of Mega Kangaskhan. Zapdos, coupled with Discharge and Static, is a massive annoyance to any physical attacker that comes it way, spreading paralysis quickly. Heat Wave is a must for things like Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu, HP Ice allows Zapdos to prevent Mega Salamence from setting up on it and also hit Landorus-T on the switch, and Roost is obligatory recovery. A straightforward max HP max Def spread ensures that Zapdos will endure multiple blows while afflicting paralysis. 0 Atk IVs minimalizes damage from Foul Play, as with all special attackers.

Nihilego@Choice Scarf
Timid Nature+0 Atk IVs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moves:
-Sludge Wave
-Thunder
-Power Gem
-Hidden Power Fire
rock and poison cuz logic
My offensive check to ZardX. Because of his high special bulk, it's also able to switch in to Tapu Koko a few times, which is very much appreciated. Thanks to the Choice Scarf, he also handles Tapu Lele if he comes in on a predicted Moonblast, plus it is an offensive check to non-Sash Greninja. Thunder instead of Thunderbolt since it OHKOes Greninja, which is crucial, plus has a higher paralysis chance. Power Gem to OHKO ZardX and Hidden Power Fire to deal with Ferrothorn and Aegislash.
THREATLIST (these are the things I have trouble against)
red: it's about to get real
purple: annoying if faced, though could be dealt with
blue: moderately annoying

Mega Charizard X really messes up the team. You are forced to pick Nihilego since otherwise you are going to either hope to paralyze with Zapdos to revenge kill with something or rely on Mega Salamence living an Outrage and killing it with two Earthquakes, provided Salamence didn't switch in on him. One wrong play, and the game is definitely gone.

Blaziken is very dangerous since you are forced to sacrifice Zapdos to Overheat/ HP Ice, hoping to possibly paralyze while doing so. If it's paralyzed, it can't do much with Salamence around, but if it isn't, you will probably lose since Aegislash still takes a huge chunk even from a -2 Overheat boosted by a Life Orb. Other mons outright die to its appropriate moves.

Though there are multiple checks on the team, nothing solidly counters Tapu Koko. Tapu Bulu can't take too many HP Ices and even if it switches in on one, Koko can switch out, leaving Bulu at around 50%, and even lower if it does so with Volt Switch. Nihilego is on the same boat as well, not being able to take repeated Thunderbolts. However, if your opponent doesn't see the Scarf coming, you will not have a hard time with this one.

Many of the team members put a lot of pressure on Aegislash, and it will probably come down to prediction. Hitting super effectively at the wrong time can put you at a very tight spot, but Zapdos or Mega Salamence can finish him off with Heat Wave or Earthquake, respectively.

With his massive coverage and Protean predictions, Greninja can cause issues. The main issue here is not being able to switch into Greninja. If you lead Nihilego, you will OHKO with Thunder, or bring him to Sash range, from where it becomes easier to deal with. Buzzwole can also take a hit and OHKO, but can't switch in on a special attack. At the worst, Aegislash can come in after a sacrifice to take a Dark Pulse and OHKO with a boosted Flash Cannon.

He's a rare sight, but Magnezone will wear down your switch-in if you don't have something proper out. The worst scenario is having Magnezone sent out against Aegislash because you are forced to take a HP Fire, which Aegislash won't enjoy. Buzzwole or Salamence can easily deal with this, however.

Even though Buzzwole pretty much owns Garchomp, switching into him can be difficult if he has Poison Jab. If he doesn't, Tapu Bulu can decimate him, though he will take a lot after the Wood Hammer.

CONCLUSION

This is a team I hope goes a long way. It does currently have trouble with common Pokemon like ZardX and Blaziken, but I think that can be patched up with suggestions from you guys. Plus, no team is perfect, so it's bound to have some flaws at the end of the day!

With that threat list you could try to switch out Bulu for Tapu Fini. You'd keep the Dragon/Steel/Fairy core and the Water-type resistence, also gaining Fire- and Ice-type coverage for Mence and Aegislash. I know you were using Bulu to check Koko and Suicune, but you already have Zapdos for Cune, and Nihilego for Tapu Koko, don't you?

Since you have no Z-moves in the team, you could try this set. It kinda handles Blaziken very well and can deal with CharX, special Greninja and Garchomp too.
@ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Brine / Surf
- Nature Madness / Taunt
- Moonblast
- Haze

With Taunt you can put more EVs in speed, for example 164 EVs allow to outspeed max speed Celesteela and all base 60 mons, but imo it's not that worth.

Oh yep, i'm also suggesting some minor changes i would do:

- On Aegislash, put those 4 Atk EVs in SpD. I'm saying this because p2 is usually a big problem for Aegislash/Mence cores and having 4 EVs in SpD would raise p2's attack (Download) if switching into your Aegislash. Obviously Buzzwole can handle p2 pretty well, specially with an AV on it, but this change should help it too.

- Use Double-Edge on a Jolly Mence. With the Aerilate's nerf you'll need an Adamant nature to use Return efficiently, so if you want to keep it you should switch its Nature.

Last edited:
With that threat list you could try to switch out Bulu for Tapu Fini. You'd keep the Dragon/Steel/Fairy core and the Water-type resistence, also gaining Fire- and Ice-type coverage for Mence and Aegislash. I know you were using Bulu to check Koko and Suicune, but you already have Zapdos for Cune, and Nihilego for Tapu Koko, don't you?

Since you have no Z-moves in the team, you could try this set. It kinda handles Blaziken very well and can deal with CharX, special Greninja and Garchomp too.
@ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Brine / Surf
- Nature Madness / Taunt
- Moonblast
- Haze

With Taunt you can put more EVs in speed, for example 164 EVs allow to outspeed max speed Celesteela and all base 60 mons, but imo it's not that worth.

Oh yep, i'm also suggesting some minor changes i would do:

- On Aegislash, put those 4 Atk EVs in SpD. I'm saying this because p2 is usually a big problem for Aegislash/Mence cores and having 4 EVs in SpD would raise p2's attack (Download) if switching into your Aegislash. Obviously Buzzwole can handle p2 pretty well, specially with an AV on it, but this change should help it too.

- Use Double-Edge on a Jolly Mence. With the Aerilate's nerf you'll need an Adamant nature to use Return efficiently, so if you want to keep it you should switch its Nature.
Fini seems interesting, and I kinda have been wanting to use it for some time! I'll definitely try it. I have used Double-Edge for some time, but the recoil seems discouraging. Also, Zapdos may prevent Cune from switching in, but if it's out already, Zapdos himself can't switch in because of CM and that's sort of shaky.

Last edited:
Also, Zapdos may prevent Cune from switching in, but if it's out already, Zapdos himself can't switch in because of CM and that's sort of shaky.
well now that you have Fini you can also weaken it with the combination of Moonblast/Nature Madness + Haze if he sets up

well now that you have Fini you can also weaken it with the combination of Moonblast/Nature Madness + Haze if he sets up
Maybe a Icium Z CM Fini with Taunt/Mist/CM and Moonblast and a similar EV spread? Could also work as a pseudo-sweeper.

Maybe a Icium Z CM Fini with Taunt/Mist/CM and Moonblast and a similar EV spread? Could also work as a pseudo-sweeper.
that could work i guess, try it out :] But don't be so scared of CM Cune, you have a lot of tools for it already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)