Other Most overhyped or underated aspect this gen so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone in the right mind would do one of the following against that Talonflame:

Have Stealth Rocks set up
Switch to a rock type pokemon of almost any kind (Tyranitar is a great one)
Attempt to cripple it with Thunder Wave on some electric type pokemon
Use faster Priority (Sucker Punch Anything /Extreme Speed)
Use Intimidate and lower the damage output thus forcing a switch
Make it hit rough skin rocky helmet
* +2 252 Atk Talonflame U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-- Talonflame can smack TTar very hard while switching to a counter. Other rock types do better, but a weakness to U-Turn gives Talonflame very good options. Notice the 2HKO with U-Turn despite the lack of an item.

Swords Dance / Brave Bird / Flare Blitz / U-Turn is surprisingly effective, if only for Tyranitar alone. You don't even need to run Life Orb to cripple most TTar.

* Thunder Wave doesn't stop Talonflame's Gale Wings. It still goes first afterwards. TWave barely does anything against it.
* Weavile Ice Shard is slower than Talonflame Brave Bird. Sucker Punch is still +1, there is not a single Sucker-Puncher in the game that is faster than Talonflame. Say it with me, outside of ExtremeSpeed, there is no faster priority. You need to do things like T-Wave it then use priority.
* -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 165-196 (49.6 - 59%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
* -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 165-195 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

OMFG, After the Intimidate Talonflame STILL 2HKOs Gyarados / Salamence!! Unassested!! I guess it won't 2HKO bulky Gyarados, but thats why you have U-Turn and counters.

Stealth Rocks is the only actual solution to stopping Talonflame. But there's Defog and Rapid Spin for that.

-----------------------

Talonflame's priority is the most reliable priority in the game. In a game where priority has become more and more common (ie: Sucker Punch Mawile, Shadow Sneak Aegislash...), being able to rely on Talonflame's priority, beyond your opponent's Choice Scarfs and so forth, is extremely, extremely useful.

Last edited:
What do you pack for excadrill or scizor or litterally any steel type? Teamwise I mean since you are clearly not running anything for them on clefable itself. Magnezone could be a really great teamate for that clefable since it currently gets walled fairly easily and maybe a heatran to wall genesect. scizor could sill be a problem though. Im mostly asking out of curiosity since I can never get clefable to work without fire coverage.
I have other Pokes for dealing with steels, but I have taken down a few Meg-Luke with it. If I am semi setup (1 or 2 CM) and it is a special attacking Mega-Luke, I have killed it off with Stored power. But Scizor Excadrill both wall it effectively. Also, I have a leftovers on it, so it is passively healing during this time. Another option is to take cosmic power over CM, this makes him a full tank to both physical and special attacks. If you get this up a few times, unless they crit on you, you can't die, and you can hit anything not dark for 240 BP Stored power, which hurts even without the CM boosts.

* +2 252 Atk Talonflame U-turn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 204-242 (50.4 - 59.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-- Talonflame can smack TTar very hard while switching to a counter. Other rock types do better, but a weakness to U-Turn gives Talonflame very good options. Notice the 2HKO with U-Turn despite the lack of an item.

Swords Dance / Brave Bird / Flare Blitz / U-Turn is surprisingly effective, if only for Tyranitar alone. You don't even need to run Life Orb to cripple most TTar.

* Thunder Wave doesn't stop Talonflame's Gale Wings. It still goes first afterwards. TWave barely does anything against it.
* Weavile Ice Shard is slower than Talonflame Brave Bird. Sucker Punch is still +1, there is not a single Sucker-Puncher in the game that is faster than Talonflame. Say it with me, outside of ExtremeSpeed, there is no faster priority. You need to do things like T-Wave it then use priority.
* -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 165-196 (49.6 - 59%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
* -1 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 165-195 (49.8 - 58.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

OMFG, After the Intimidate Talonflame STILL 2HKOs Gyarados / Salamence!! Unassested!! I guess it won't 2HKO bulky Gyarados, but thats why you have U-Turn and counters.

Stealth Rocks is the only actual solution to stopping Talonflame. But there's Defog and Rapid Spin for that.
The other "counter" is a bulky pokemon with stone edge. Almost any bulky water-type can counter Talonflame, but still, it can still u-turn you and then pick a better counter for the situation. And then once your bulky water Pokemon is gone, he can come back in and sweep. So, I guess I just semi-disproved my point...

I think mega-Absol is very underated mega, I used him in a semi-stall team of mine. Most of the team was a failure, but I still won quite a lot-the reason was mainly mega-Absol. His so strong its amazing! even without SD he doing so much damage, and beated most of the team by himself(the combination of sucker punch and superpower did most of the job).

Assault Vest Avalugg running Mirror Coat and Rapid Spin is hilariously useful, but considering the Smogon higher-ups left no witnesses on that one page in the Avalugg discussion thread, I won't go into that.

Ferrothorn and Malamar, while overused / average by themselves, are a surprisingly lethal and underused combo from my experience. Ferrothorn leads and sets up Leech Seed or entry hazards and proceeds to Thunder Wave to slow down the opponent. Malamar can then switch in and take neutral damage from Ferrothorn's two weaknesses, and now that it doesn't have to worry about being outsped, it can either steal some health as insurance or ensure the next thing switching in won't have access to Sturdy, Focus Sash, etc. The big thing to consider is that a weakened, paralyzed opponent can potentially offer Malamar at least one Superpower boost before it even takes damage. They have great synergy on rebounds, too - Fairy and Bug, Malamar's two major concerns, are resisted and neutralized by Ferrothorn, respectively.

I haven't heard a lot of noise about Malamar, and at some point, I want to try and get a decent set just to try it out. Thanks to contrary, superpower becomes Malamar's personal bulk up. There are some obvious ghost type checks such as Gengar and Aegislash, but Malamar's type advantage makes it possible to work around them. Who knows, maybe Malamar is underrated.

Also I don't think anyone saw Mega Kangaskhan becoming this powerful.

-----------------------

Talonflame's priority is the most reliable priority in the game. In a game where priority has become more and more common (ie: Sucker Punch Mawile, Shadow Sneak Aegislash...), being able to rely on Talonflame's priority, beyond your opponent's Choice Scarfs and so forth, is extremely, extremely useful.
Nobody runs max speed Talonflame. Moreover, nobody runs Jolly max speed Talonflame, which is the only way it outspeeds Weavile's Ice Shard. Naive/Jolly (standard) Mega Absol's Sucker Punch is also faster than Adamant Talonflame's Brave Bird.

Nobody runs max speed Talonflame because the threats that matter don't exist in this metagame. If the threats existed, Talonflame has more than enough base speed to deal with them.

After Quick Attack Pinsir (base 100), the next Talonflame speed tiers are Prankster Tornadus, Bullet Punch Lucario (but not Extreme Speed) and Whimsicott. I don't think Absol is on anyone's threat list... but Talonflame can outrun all of them.

The other "counter" is a bulky pokemon with stone edge. Almost any bulky water-type can counter Talonflame, but still, it can still u-turn you and then pick a better counter for the situation. And then once your bulky water Pokemon is gone, he can come back in and sweep. So, I guess I just semi-disproved my point...
Talonflame doesn't sweep teams. Talonflame plays a role more similar to choice-scarf pokemon of the past. Talonflame goes first and hits "hard enough". You sweep with other pokemon, but you can always rely on Talonflame to revenge kill or force a switch-out.

On the other hand, slower "sweeper" sets do occur. The weird 252/4/0/0/252/0 bulk up set survives and out-roosts the damage off of weird stuff... it only takes like 40% from 0EVed Slowbro Scald for instance, and can threaten a Bulk-up sweep off of it.

Priority Roost allows it to survive...

Last edited:
adamant 252 Spe talonflame cannot outrun 252+ 111s (thunderus-I and tornauds-I and faster), adamant 252 Spe talonflame hits 351 speed, 252+ Thunderus/Tornaudus-I hit 353 speed

also, mega pinsir has base 105 speed, not base 100

Crippling it with Thunder Wave is not reliable since it can outspeed Prankster Thundurus if Talonflame is Jolly.

note: Heliolisk's expression is the main reason I used it as a response though I have used it as an effective counter to sapping Talonflame.

>No defensive stats what-so-ever but ALMOST any electric type is going to be like that Glacier that sunk the Titanic for Talonflame.
>Throws Heliolosk out
>Heliolisk takes a brave bird
>It lives with 30% Health
>Heliolisk uses Thunderwave
>Talonflame is Paralyzed
>Enemy has a now less useful Talonflame

You could also replace the words "any electric type" and "Heliolisk" with any bulky water pokemon or rock types that kill it one hit.

You're exactly why I believe it's overhyped. It's an effective move combination but definitely not something that is pucking ferfect.

Simple responses for simple threats Talonflame is not complex at all. You make it sound like "The game changer" when it's really just a weaker Staraptor with less access to Intimidate and No Close Combat support.

Talonflame has one purpose in life. Bravebird. Honestly, Tailwind if you feel you could utilize it but Bravebird is the only reason it exists in the current meta-game at OU levels. It's too simple to be a game changer, existing literally only to die from it's own attacks.

I'm not saying "don't use it" what I'm saying is that Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Volcarona have something to look out for. Thats it, really.

Thunderwave saps it's capabilities enough for it to be stopped. It will not kill it, I understand that, but it will be significantly less of a threat (That proc is a game changer).

Last edited:

-----------------------

Talonflame's priority is fucking fast and powerful. It always goes first. I get it. I understand that. It's clear to me. I can see it. I think it's good, not unstoppable and I continue to see posts like this which lay out Mathematically that it's unstoppable but here is the thing, they're calculated, not in actual combat.

Talonflame is also fragile as hell aside from the rare bulk-up set. I have a vast amount of counters to stopping it under my arsenal and I still don't even run Stealth Rock, shall I list them out for you?

My Trick Room team counters:
Honchkrow: Banded/Life Orb will 1HKO Talonflame with stabbed Sucker Punch
Mega-Tyranitar: Stone Edge or Rock Slide (Dependent on set)
Mega-Chomp: Given defensive EV's allow it to take the extra hit or two and hit back with a swords danced Dragon Claw/Rock Slide (Dependent on set). Sometimes Rough Skin is helpful
Clawitzer: One Water Pulse and enough defensive bulk to survive a Brave Bird
Empoleon: Even special defensive spec'd and he can hit back hard with Scald or Surf

This is all for just one team of possibilities (Of course there are more pokemon on this team and they are often switched out)

On TOP of that, what you are posting may be calculations but are they in an actual situation? No. It's called "Shit happens", I won't throw pokemon that can die in one hit out at the thing and sometimes certain pokemon are called for the situation.

Thunderwave makes Talonflame unreliable as the chance for it to be unable to do shit makes it almost worthless. Even with Priority brave bird, can it chain heals from roost and retaliate again with brave bird without suffering the proc from Paralysis? Small chance.

We've all run against this situation, "they're tough but they ain't invincible!"

Other options I did not mention:
MEGA AGGRON - can tank physical hits like no tomorrow, even if they are super effective STAB life orb
Bulky waters - preferably one's that have access to a rock type move
Rhyperior - UU but still a rock type that can work damn well

EDIT: You have inspired me to do a tally count of how many times I "Flawlessly" take down a Talonflame online, I will mark in my signature exactly how many times I take a Talonflame down without losing a single pokemon and doing one of my counters.

Last edited:
Talonflame…. Its Everwhere…...

Talonflame doesn't sweep teams. Talonflame plays a role more similar to choice-scarf pokemon of the past. Talonflame goes first and hits "hard enough". You sweep with other pokemon, but you can always rely on Talonflame to revenge kill or force a switch-out.

On the other hand, slower "sweeper" sets do occur. The weird 252/4/0/0/252/0 bulk up set survives and out-roosts the damage off of weird stuff... it only takes like 40% from 0EVed Slowbro Scald for instance, and can threaten a Bulk-up sweep off of it.

Priority Roost allows it to survive...[/quote]

Under the right conditions (especially if it does not have Stealth Rock damage), it could sweep teams... remember it can switch attacks to leverage its coverage and has naturally high speed and strong priority to outspeed any Scarfers. The Recoil damage does not matter in many cases.

1). The target has little remaining health left, so Talonflame does not take that much damage
2). Talonflame has little health left and you are attacking a healthy target, so you are sacrificing a Talonflame at 10% health.

Yes, Roost makes it much harder to kill since it makes it difficult to apply offensive pressure to it since it can heal off a portion of the damage. It is as physically bulky as a Specially defensive Sableye who also has access to priority recovery. They both have the same HP stat and the same physical defensive (although Sableye has access to priority Will-O-Wisp to increase its defenses, but Talonflame does not use a turn doing that)

Nobody is saying or has said Talonflame is invincible, just that it may or may not be overhyped. We are arguing that the hype for Talonflame is well deserved.

Your argument about calculations not applying to actual combat is baffling. If you add animations to a calculator, you have Pokemon, that is the game. So when we say 'Talonflame will cut off half of Ttar's HP with U-turn' then thats how its going to happen with the stat spreads projected in 'actual combat'. You used those pokemon as an argument defending the stance of Talonflame being overhyped, and then just now go on to say that you wouldn't leave pokemon like that in on Talonflame and switch to something else that would work? What?

Honchkrow can't take a banded Brave Bird with max HP investment. So it is not a counter. As a check you manage to both die at best because Sucker Punch doesn't OHKO with any sort of HP investment (which Talon will have - max speed is redundant) even banded. Talonflame sends you packing and loses to recoil. So uh... now are you going to say you wouldn't use Honchkrow against Talonflame even though thats what you just said would work?

Your argument about paralysis applies to all pokemon that are not immune to it. Talonflame is affected LESS by paralysis than most pokemon due to priority.

Naturally lots of bulky pokemon will be around packing an effective move to take Talonflame down. But for the rest of the cast that doesn't appreciate a neutral priority brave bird, Talonflame is their death sentence and honestly is a calculation you should always consider when you see one. It is a superb revenge killer.

Talonflame's priority is fucking fast and powerful. It always goes first. I get it. I understand that. It's clear to me. I can see it. I think it's good, not unstoppable and I continue to see posts like this which lay out Mathematically that it's unstoppable but here is the thing, they're calculated, not in actual combat.

Talonflame is also fragile as hell aside from the rare bulk-up set. I have a vast amount of counters to stopping it under my arsenal and I still don't even run Stealth Rock, shall I list them out for you?

My Trick Room team counters:
Honchkrow: Banded/Life Orb will 1HKO Talonflame with stabbed Sucker Punch
Mega-Tyranitar: Stone Edge or Rock Slide (Dependent on set)
Mega-Chomp: Given defensive EV's allow it to take the extra hit or two and hit back with a swords danced Dragon Claw/Rock Slide (Dependent on set). Sometimes Rough Skin is helpful
Clawitzer: One Water Pulse and enough defensive bulk to survive a Brave Bird
Empoleon: Even special defensive spec'd and he can hit back hard with Scald or Surf

This is all for just one team of possibilities (Of course there are more pokemon on this team and they are often switched out)

On TOP of that, what you are posting may be calculations but are they in an actual situation? No. It's called "Shit happens", I won't throw pokemon that can die in one hit out at the thing and sometimes certain pokemon are called for the situation.

Thunderwave makes Talonflame unreliable as the chance for it to be unable to do shit makes it almost worthless. Even with Priority brave bird, can it chain heals from roost and retaliate again with brave bird without suffering the proc from Paralysis? Small chance.

"Flawlessly" take down a Talonflame online, I will mark in my signature exactly how many times I take a Talonflame down without losing a single pokemon and doing one of my counters.
All of this is true. Which is why Talonflame is OU and not Ubers. I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Talonflame is "unstoppable." However, it is a serious threat that likes to punch holes in teams and can give you superb momentum. I don't think it is overhyped just of the sheer fact that it has so many dangerous options at its disposal, so the hype is mostly justified. Overhyped would be things like Sticky Web which everyone thought would be the be-all when it ended up being a dud... at least for what we know of right now. Overyhyped would also be something like SD Aegislash, which has no real time to set up before dying. (An Autotomize build with Weakness Policy or something, though, MAY be interesting, just because it may totally throw off teams who are not used to seeing a Jolly Aegislash with Max EVs in speed. XD)

All of this is true. Which is why Talonflame is OU and not Ubers. I don't think anyone seriously thinks that Talonflame is "unstoppable." However, it is a serious threat that likes to punch holes in teams and can give you superb momentum. I don't think it is overhyped just of the sheer fact that it has so many dangerous options at its disposal, so the hype is mostly justified. Overhyped would be things like Sticky Web which everyone thought would be the be-all when it ended up being a dud... at least for what we know of right now. Overyhyped would also be something like SD Aegislash, which has no real time to set up before dying. (An Atotomize build with Weakness Policy or something, though, MAY be interesting, just because it may totally throw off teams who are not used to seeing a Jolly Aegislash with Max EVs in speed. XD)
I really agree that SD Aegislash was overhyped. I had no problems with that, nor did I ever feel threatened that it could sweep me.

I never claimed it was unstoppable. I'm calling it the most reliable priority user in the game. As I stated before, Talonflame doesn't sweep teams, but it is the best pokemon for its job. Talonflame's job is to go first, period. No one claims it to be uber or unstoppable, its "only" the best pokemon for speed-creep battles.

And damn, is it the best user for that:

252+ Atk Choice Band Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 307-363 (113.2 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 322-381 (118.8 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolly CB Talonflame BB hits harder than Adamant Arceus CB ExtremeSpeed. Talonflame is the best priority user in this game, bar none. (The less reliable Life Orb Yveltal Dark Aura Sucker Punch outdamages CB Talonflame BB, but its far less reliable, and is slower than other forms of insane priority)

Honchkrow can't take a banded Brave Bird with max HP investment. So it is not a counter. As a check you manage to both die at best because Sucker Punch doesn't OHKO with any sort of HP investment (which Talon will have - max speed is redundant) even banded. Talonflame sends you packing and loses to recoil. So uh... now are you going to say you wouldn't use Honchkrow against Talonflame even though thats what you just said would work?
Since Talonflame Brave-bird goes first, the Honchkrow's sucker punch fails and does no damage.

Last edited:
He mentioned something about his Trick Room team so I assume that the battle conditions involve trick room in effect, hence why Honchkrow would possibly go before Talon.

Wait, why EVER run 252 hp on a flying type? You should always run 248 to take 24% from sr, not 25%
Actually, the optimal investment will vary from Pokemon to Pokemon; essentially, you want the Pokemon's max HP to be indivisible by the fraction of damage it takes from Stealth Rock. (for example, if it loses 1/4 of its HP to stealth rock, then you want its HP stat to be indivisible by 4). There was an article that goes in-depth about this topic: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue2/saving_hp2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for things that were wrongly hyped - well, the predictions that I made for each new addition have been eerily accurate thus far... save one, which a lot of others underestimated as well. Zygarde. I and many others just saw it as a demonstrably worse Garchomp at first, rather underwhelming for the third in the legendary trio. But that thing's movepool is just plain weird, having precisely what it needs to carve its own niche, and it's actually really solid.

Also, I'm gonna go with Mega Gengar being underhyped. Why, you ask? Surely it was hyped significantly, right? Well, yes... but it is physically impossible to sufficiently hype a trapper with actual stats and a movepool as strong as Gengar's. (Also, it was hyped to shit as a sweeper... )

Nobody is saying or has said Talonflame is invincible, just that it may or may not be overhyped. We are arguing that the hype for Talonflame is well deserved.

I don't think you read the Trick Room party about Honchkrow.

I never claimed it was unstoppable. I'm calling it the most reliable priority user in the game. As I stated before, Talonflame doesn't sweep teams, but it is the best pokemon for its job. Talonflame's job is to go first, period. No one claims it to be uber or unstoppable, its "only" the best pokemon for speed-creep battles.

And damn, is it the best user for that:

252+ Atk Choice Band Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 307-363 (113.2 - 133.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 322-381 (118.8 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolly CB Talonflame BB hits harder than Adamant Arceus CB ExtremeSpeed. Talonflame is the best priority user in this game, bar none. (The less reliable Life Orb Yveltal Dark Aura Sucker Punch outdamages CB Talonflame BB, but its far less reliable, and is slower than other forms of insane priority)

Since Talonflame Brave-bird goes first, the Honchkrow's sucker punch fails and does no damage.
I don't think you read the part where I said "Trick Room Team"

lol Trick Room

saying something is a counter (BTW it was a check, it can't switch in, I.E. ot counter in Trick Room means absolutely nothing. MMawile beats Talonflame 1v1 every time in Trick Room means nothing, she still gets manhandled by it.

your quest to prove Talonflame isn't god is flawed. we KNOW its not. notice in all the suggestions for Suspects its NEVER brought up (Except by scrubs) its just really really good. it defined this gen of competitive, the meta has shaped to deal with this thing. if you are "Talonflame weak" your team is bad (MegaPinsir compounds this, its just as devastating). its everywhere and can pull of multiple different sets, not to mention for a 4x SR weak mon it requires very little support. its not overhyped, its hyped was certainly justified.

Can i suggest for underhyped the previously mentioned MegaPinsir. basically same as Talonflames hype ride, went from "lol Bug/Flying" to "RUN RUN THIS THING EATS BABIES" Minus the Banned Megas and Mega Luke, It and the Zards are the best megas imo. other than stuff which was good already like TTar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)