More small tournaments

While this site is great for information and analysis I feel like the site is lacking in daily competitive play. Alot of people don't have the time to play in bigger tournaments and wait at awkward hours for people across the world to play 1 or two games or maybe not even show up at all. I would enjoy more smaller tournaments (with regular metagame rules) at least 2-4 times a week. Small sit n go tournaments are fun, entertaining and competitive without much risk or disappointment if you lose. I know we have the ladder but the ladder gets boring and honestly doesn't have that much seriousness outside of suspect test. I know users on PS have tournaments that are not supported by the site but they don't seem to be very well organized and serious.

Maybe have a small group that makes semi official sit n go tournament threads whenever they feel like it . If they want to announce it in advanced then that is up to them.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Tournaments are hosted on a volunteer basis. While 'sit and go' tournaments are very fun - LNT, jrp's #pokemon tournament, Summer of #Tournaments, for example. However, these cannot happen without willing and available hosters - which is considerably harder since it's a live tournament. All you need to do is think up a tournament concept, get a group of hosters, and submit it when it's ready.

As for your last part, 'whenever you feel like it' is a horrible idea. The reason stuff like Summer of Tournaments and jrp's #pokemon stuff work well is because people know when they're coming and can prepare for it. It's a lot easier to participate in a 'dpp ubers triples no arceus' live-tour when you're told in a week in advance and can make teams, rather than announcing in #ubers and #pokemon 'dpp ubers triples no arceus tour pls pm me if you want in' because literally nobody has a team for that metagame.

There are two 'sit and go' tournaments going on at the moment. If you want to participate in either, there is a thread in Tournaments (Summer of #Tournaments) and in Smogon IRC (#pokemon Late Night). If you want to host one, feel free to submit a tournament application.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This is kind of what I had in mind when I created the Mini-Tournaments. However, it's still really hard to keep up activity for these smaller tournaments due to people wanting to both a) do well, so they prepare for a while to make a good team, and b) it's an international site so setting up a time to battle is hard to do when you have extreme differences in time zones so the tournament inevitably has to be drug out in order to accommodate the players in the later rounds to get the matches done.

Granted, most of the mini-tours that I hosted and have been hosted since are type B or type C tournaments, but I think that's because we wanted to keep in the spirit of saving the standard type A tournaments being held in the Tournaments forum (and especially in the summer with Grand Slam coming up).

A better organized channel on PS integrated with the forums I think is the best you're going to get for what you're looking for Curtains. A combination of "hey so a tournament is going to happen at such and such a date and time be at the channel" and then the tournament happens live like a Smogon Tour kind of deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)