Gen 7 [Monotype] Skarmory Hazards HO Flying Team

This team is all about setting hazards with Skarmory, then pressuring Defoggers into oblivion if necessary, then just sweeping. Quite simple, but I have a lot of weakeners to ease the sweeping process.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Defog
- Stealth Rock

The star of the show, Skarmory has all status moves with Taunt among them, making him a presence worth getting rid of despite lack of inherent offense. Sturdy is used to ensure that rocks are at least dropped. Defog is used alongside Taunt to counter other hazard setters. Second priority after rocks is either Defog/Taunting or setting Spikes. This is dependent on whether the opponent leads with a hazard setter or not.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Technically, Thundo-T would be a better hyper-offense pick, but Thundo-I provides Prankster TWave, crippling other mons that rely mostly on speed, such as scarfers, Swift Swimmers on rain teams, and Aerodactyl. Otherwise, Thundo has a good base speed coupled with decent power that is made stronger by the Life Orb. Flash Cannon is used to hit Ice- and Rock-types super effectively, and HP Ice is necessary against certain problematic Grass- and Ground-types that would otherwise wall Thundo, such as Tangrowth and Landorus-T. Speaking of whom...

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is a classic Lando set, aside from Knock Off. Earthquake is STAB, Stone Edge hits other flyers such as Zapdos, U-Turn allows me to maintain offensive momentum, and Knock Off cripples certain walls. Adamant is run over Jolly because Speed-boosting natures are better on mons whose base speed fall below 300 at level 100, and Lando already has so much power that Earthquake's virtually unstoppable in the late-game, unless there's a Levitate or Flying mon left. If so, I can U-Turn on the swap, clear it, then sweep. Knock Off is run over rocks and Defog because... well, Skarmory.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Classic Chari set; nothing special here. Flamethrower STAB; Beam to hit Rock-types on the first turn with Drought; Blast to hit Heatran, T-Tar, and the like; and Roost to increase longevity against stalls/Toxic walls.

Celesteela @ Metronome
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower

Now this set may cause some controversy, but, believe it or not, it's classified as a viable set on Smogon. This set allows Celesteela to be powerful as well as bulky, getting a +SpA Beast Boost. Autotomize is used to counteract Celesteela's low base speed, Cannon and Slash are STAB, and Flamethrower breaks Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and other notable Steel/Grass types that Celesteela would find troublesome.

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Fly

As opposed to the regular Choice Band set, which I've noticed is extremely hard-hitting but falls too short on speed, this set ensures a good mix of the two. Multiscale allows for a DDance setup, at which point a STAB 175-power move at +1 Atk becomes an option. Earthquake hits hard, and Extreme Speed gets snipe-kills against certain mons that it can't OHKO, as well as revenge kills.

Replacements or straight revamps would be appreciated, as the whole concept of a Skarmory-based team is going what may possibly be too far out on a limb. Thank you!

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Major Changes
->

Dual Hazard Skarmory is used on HO Steel variants as I feel Flying is not a hazard stacking type. We do have Celesteela on the team and there is a lesser need for another Steel/Flying and additionally, Aerodactyl's speed fits perfectly in this offensive playstyle, allowing it to outspeed things that may try to taunt or check Skarmory naturally like Crobat, Rotom-H, or even Mew.

Although Knock Off is a nice utility option, we are lacking hazard removal and using Defog to bring in pretty much everything on the team is crucial as Flying-type Pokemon can take 25% damage more OR less depending on its secondary typing.

Minor Changes

" Flash Cannon is used to hit Ice- and Rock-types super effectively" We have Celesteela, Landorus, and Aerodactyl for all three of those typings and I only see Flash Cannon being a niche for like Mega-Diancie. Wearing it down and chipping it is also an option but generally Grass Knot/Focus Blast is used on Twave + 3 attacks.

I personally like Dragonium Z better because the move Fly is not super reliant, Fly-Z does have a little less damage than Dragonite but Z-Outrage has better rolls on like Toxapex and Venusaur-M and is way more consistent as a STAB move over Fly.
(Click on any of the sprites for the updated team!)

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Introduction
Hi there DwemerSmith, Roxiee had some interesting ideas for the team. I will be making minor tweaks working off the team with their rate as I feel like it had a ton of changes I would make either way. Let's dive right into the rate!

Minor Changes
Mega Charizard Y

:charizard-mega-y:
Mega Charizard Y is a simple change. Instead of Roost, there are two other options you can potentially run. Being Defog and HP Electric. Defog might seem weird on Mega Charizard Y. However, it does have an ability to beat a ton of common Stealth Rock setters such as Swampert, Hippowdon, and Ferrothorn, allowing it to Defog on them as they switch out easily. However, this only works if you come in as they set Stealth Rock. HP Electric is an option, but I would not use it since it mainly catches Mantine on the switch-in and 2HKO. However, Mantine is increasingly less used, so the tech isn't as good as it once was. A roost is also an option, but these are other could run as well.

Aerodactyl
:aerodactyl:
Personally, while Tailwind is great on lead Aerodactyl, I prefer the EdgeQuake lead version. This allows it to take on Pokemon, such as Heatran, Empoleon, Kyurem-B, and threaten Pelipper, the common rain setter. Additionally, Earthquake + Rock Slide is really great coverage that allows it to hit every Pokemon for neutral damage giving it a purpose aside just setting Stealth Rock and setting up Tailwind for the team.

Dragonite
:dragonite:
This change is fairly simple, being just one move, but I believe Earthquake is 100% better than Fire Punch. With Dragonium Z that Roxiee suggested and Earthquake, it gives this archetype a real chance to beat Electric teams, which is super nice. Fire Punch isn't too necessary with Thundurus and Mega Charizard Y being able to hit Steels for supereffective damage.

Celesteela
:celesteela:
Another simple one move change is making Celesteela Giga Drain. Right now, in general, the Water matchup is rather poor. Doing this should turn the matchup around and make it completely your favor. With one or two autotomizes and the ability to collect Special Attack boosts, thanks to Beast Boost, Air Slash + Giga Drain should be able to destroy Water teams.

Thundurus
:thundurus:
I just changed its item here. I do not like Life Orb since it chips Thundurus very quickly. I decided to make it into an Expert Belt; this still helps it get off better damage output against targets it can hit with supereffective damage. This item works well because Electric + Ice + Fighting coverage hits many targets for supereffective damage.

Another way you could run the team is to give Dragonite a Lum Berry and have Celesteela hold a Flyinium Z. This is because Metronome resets its boosts whenever they move misses or a protection move like Baneful Bunker is used. However, this may make it slightly harder to win the Electric matchup off Dragonite.

Conclusion
:sm/charizard-mega-y::sm/aerodactyl::sm/landorus-therian::sm/dragonite::sm/celesteela::sm/thundurus:
{team can be found by clicking on the sprites above}
This is your team's final version after I tweaked it around a bit to play more easily. Anyway, good luck with the team, and I hope you enjoy playing with my version of the team. If you have any questions, let me know, I'm maroon on PS! and maroon#1999 on discord and wouldn't mind answering any potential questions, comments, or concerns!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)