Monotype Mono Fighting Team

I posted a monotype fighting team about a month ago and made some edits based on your suggestion. I have been playing with it for a while and noticed some flaws with it and would like some more input from you guys. Here's my team

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Overheat
- Endeavor

Infernape is my lead. He is used to prevent other leads from setting up entery hazards or status changes with taunt and sets up my own entry hazards with stealth rock. Endeavor is used after focus sash has been activated bringing the opponents health down to 1% making them easy to kill with a priority move. Overheat is great for dishing out a lot of damage if Infernape hasn't been damaged enough to use endeavor.

Medicham (M) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

To get some extra damage out and finish of pokemon infernape has used endeavor on he has fake out. High Jump Kick is an incredibly strong stab move being able to sweep a steel, dark, or ice team even being able to OHKO pokemon that aren't weak to it. Zen Headbutt is used to take down fighting and poison teams. Ice Punch is for flying, ground, and dragon types. Ice punch really helps get ride of some pesky pokemon like gliscor, lamias, latios, landorous. I wanted to put bullet punch in there to help get ride of some fast fairy types but i don't know what to replace.

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Focus Sash Breloom is an awesome surprise against any ice or flying team as I can spore then either KO the sleeping pokemon or slow down the speed of the one switched in with rock tomb and take him out on the next turn. Breloom is also awesome for taking down a boosted pokemon or the last pokemon on the team with out any fear. Mach punch is great for taking out a pokemon infernape has used endeavor on.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Choice Scarf works great with Terrakions high attack and speed stats. It allows him to out speed most other pokemon and hit speedy flying types with a stone edge or speedy electric or poison types with an earthquake. Iron head is for dealing with fairy although I have though about replacing it with X-scissor for Physic. Close Combat is a great stab move that can sweep a lot of teams that are weak to fighting. I have noticed that earthquake while really powerful against electric and poison it rarely OHKOs anyone. There are also a ton of electric types with levitate and gengar has it too. This makes earthquake impractical for these teams without taking out the levitators first because of the choice scarf. Should I replace it?

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is very speeding been able to outspend most enemies and has a very high special attack stat. He is mainly on this team to counter Latios, Ladias, Gliscor, and Landorous as this 4 are huge counters to my team. Keldeo is also good for countering ground, fire, rock, flying, grass and dragon types.

Pangoro (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Iron Head

Pangoro is a great counter to Sableye and Spiritomb with the Scrappy ability. He is super slow though causing him to get killed before he can get off a hit. He is a great counter to fairy with both iron head and gunk shot. He can also get ride of some good physic and ghost pokemon if he survives the first hit.

Weaknesses

The biggest problems with my team that I have found are Venasaur, Gallade, Medicham, Mega-Pinsir, Hawlucha, Gengar, Galvantula and Scizor as well as any ghost and physic types

Venasaur is to bulky for anyone to OHKO except maybe infernape who dies at the start of any match. If he isn't OHKOed most Venasaurs have synthesis making him a huge threat.

Gallade and Medicham are deadly for the same reason. There typing is perfect for killing off my team and the only pokemon that I have that can beat them Pandora can be OHKO by almost any fighting move.

Mega-Pinsir and Hawlucha are both super speedy flying types that can OHKO my whole team with acrobatics or quick attack.

Gengar is tricky because he is a poison type with levitate. This means Terrakions Earthquake won't affect him. The only good way to get rid of him is a knock off from Pandora but most Gengars are equipped with focus blast OHKOing Pangoro.

Galvantula sets up sticky webs which can cripple my offense he can also out speed Infernal sometime (as they have the same speed stats with max EV's) and even if he doesn't he is usually holding a focus sash.

Scizor can wreck havoc on my team after a sword dance and bullet punch. That combo can destroy terrakion and deal substantial damage to most of my team.

Ghost and physic types are an obvious weakness as I really only have one move to counter them knock off.

While looking at all my weaknesses I noticed that most of them had a common weakness flying. Venasaur, Gallade, Medicham, Mega-Pinsir, and Hawlucha are all weak to flying which is why I think adding Hawlucha might be the best course of action. I don't know who to remove though as each pokemon plays a vital role on my team.

Let me know who to replace and how else I can better cover my weaknesses. Thanks.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
Hey jmviehmann, nice Fighting team. I can see where your team can have some apparent weaknesses, i.e. Mega Pinsir, Hawlucha, Gengar, etc. and realistically, most of these will remain weaknesses just because of Fighting's capabilities. However, some of these issues we can make some work around for and some set adjustments that will definitely come in handy. With that, let's begin this rate.

- Infernape is an excellent lead option for Fighting, however your current build is under-utilizing its capabilities a tad. Endeavor, though nice paired with Focus Sash, doesn't really have great use without also using Mach Punch for the chance for guaranteed Endeavor Follow-ups. Also, Overheat, though it does more damage, limits your overall damage output for Infernape and doesn't help alleviate any Grass, Bug, or Steel weaknesses. Because of this, I would recommend changing Endeavor and Overheat > Close Combat and Fire Blast. The stat spread for this style of lead Infernape is best Mixed with about 168 Atk / 88 SpA as it allows for optimal damage and KO potential in both areas.
->
- Pangoro really needs to be carried on Fighting for it to have any real chance of being overtly useful to its team, plus, beyond the Psychic and Ghost matchup, it doesn't exactly provide anything outstanding for the type. Also, having a Dark/Fighting Pokemon just emphasizes your weakness to Fairy Pokemon in general. On the other-hand, a Pokemon like Heracross can provide great additional speed control, nice option coverage for Psychic, Ghost, Grass, etc., and with Guts, gives you a status option that your team otherwise lacks. I'd then recommend changing Pangoro > Heracross with a Choice Scarf. Scarf Heracross covers a plethora of of your current weaknesses thanks to its Bug STAB and access to Stonde Edge and Knock Off. It's a great threat for your team to use and it should immediately prove its worth among your other Pokemon.
Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

That concludes this rate, and good luck with your team!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey jmviehmann cool team, Llama managed to cover up most issues with the teams. I now only have a few minor suggestions.

Since your team lacks a Cobalion you are almost at an autoloss against the Fairy monotype. I would suggest to carry Bullet Punch -> Ice Punch as it can help you take out Mega Diancie and other annoying Fairy types such as Clefable and Mega Gardevoir on psychic teams. Medicham also benefits from this other than as it can help it stop threats with Fake Out+ Bullet Punch which can be a great way ti take out threats such as +6 azumarill Dragon Dance Dragonite and so much more.

My next suggestion is Adamant Nature -> Jolly Nature as Jolly really doesn't do much for Mega Medicham while Adamant lets it hit extra hard with its attacks and let its priority attacks have even greater of an impact. Adamant Nature paired with its ability Huge Power and base 100 attack make it an insane Physical Wallbreaker that Jolly just cant do as well.

I hope these suggestions helped with the team! :)

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)