Mono-Electric Team . . . AWSOME

INTRO

Electric is a very interesting type. It only has one weakness but very few resistances. am fairly sure that mono-electric has not been attemped before and I want to prove that it is completely viable. The first thing that jumps out at you is earthquake, how can you have an entire team weak to the most popular move in the game. While that is true, earthquake can easily be worked around with two of the best electric types being Zapdos and Rotom.

Electric types also hold an advantage over some major threats in todays metagame. Gyarados cant do shit against his team, with every pokemon Koing it with stab thunder attacks or in Rotoms case cripling it with Will-o-wisp. Scizor has problems with the two core defensive electrics on this team being Rotom and Zapdos, who completely counter it. Salemence takes neutral electric from all my pokemon plus some of mypokes use the Bolt-beam combo with ica attacks easily being able to kill mence. I dont want to go on and on with the advantages so I'll stop here.
This team still is not pefect though.

OVERVEIW

Fisrt on the list is an overveiw of my team::

H

RESISTANCES / WEAKNESSES

Second on the list is my team's type advantage chart from Marriland::
(OK this is not working so instead here is a list of the types and how my team fairs :P)

UPDATED

Normal - 1 resistance, 1 immunity
Fire - 1 resistance, 1 weakness
Water - 1 resistance
Electric - 2 resistances, 2 immunities
Grass - 2 resistances, 1 weakness
Ice - 2 resistances, 1 weakness
Fighting - 1 resisance, 1 immunity, 1 weakness
Poison - 1 resistance, 1 immunity
Ground - 2 immunities, 3 weaknesses
Flying - 5 resistances, 1 weakness
Phycic - 1 resistance, 1 weakness
Bug - 4 resistances
Rock - 2 resistances, 1 weakness
Ghost - 1 resistance, 1 weakness
Dragon - 1 resistance
Dark - 2 resistances, 1 immunity
Steel - 5 resistances

That's pretty dam good for a monotype team
As you can see, I have at least one resistance or immunity to every type.
While the ground weakness seems problematic, I can not empasise enough how simple it is to work around it.

IN-DEPTH

Changes in Bold

Without any firther ado, here is the team in-depth::

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest (+Satk -Atk)
Evs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 36 Spe / 104 Satk
  • Thunderbolt
  • Heat Wave
  • HP Grass
  • Roost
I found Zapdos to be a nessesity on this team due to its ground immunity. It also provides general bulk and counters some threats. He is a reliable lead.

The moveset is pretty standard. Thunderbolt for powerful STAB, Heatwave and HP Grass for coverage. Heat wave also helps stob the ever populat Scizor. I found that HP Grass proves to be extremely invaluble for its ablity to eliminate Swampert who otherwise could case this team some issues.

The Evs make Zapdos well ballanced. They seem to help in all aspects of his job.

Leftovers is basic and actually is very useful.

(H)

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spd -Atk)
Evs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
  • Charge Beam
  • Overheat
  • Will-o-Wisp
  • Shadow Ball
Ah, rotom. This pokemon is also vital to this team due to its ground immunity and its ability to stop a wide array of threatening pokemon.

Offensive Rorom provides a much needed sweeper and booster to my team while still countering many threats. Charge beam for STAB plus the ability to stat-up for a sweep. Overheat is his signature move and can help finish games off. Will-o-wisp adds physical bulk and Shadow ball is for secondary STAB and is useful for a possible sweep.

The EVs are all offensive since this is an offensve pokemon. rotom is surprisingly still bulky without the defensive EV investmemt.

Leftovers do what leftovers due and add more defense to this set.

Launturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Calm (+SDef - Atk)
Evs: 40 HP / 80 Spe / 136 SAatk / 252 SDef
  • Surf
  • Confuse Ray
  • Ice Beam
  • Discharge
This pokemon does some very vital special walling and has a very useful dual typing with water. water adds a little spice to the teams typing.

Surf is for strong STAB. Ice Beam is very important as it hits ground types hard. Ice beam has proved to be vital in the late game. Confuseray and Discharge make the ever annoying para-fusion strategy.

The EVs are fairly standard but provide good defensive capability. The Evs along with Calm make Lanturn a suprisingly effecive Special Wall.

Leftovers if lanturns only form of healing and is very useful.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Mild (+SAtk -Def)
Evs: 6 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
  • Thunderbolt
  • HP Fire
  • Flash Cannon
  • Explosion
I really like this magnezone due to its ability to hit Tyranitar hard. Steel dual typing gives my team a massive advantage now that it can tak dragon attacks. Specifically Outrage, and kill with HP Ice.

Thunderbolt is for STAB and coverage. HP Fire helps kill of steels especially scizor. Flash Connon provides coverage and does the job of getting rid of Tyranitay. Explosion alows this pokemon to leave with a bang and is useful for getting rid of key pokemon on the opponets team as it is often unexpected.

The Evs give a good offense and Speed and are ideal for this set.

Choice Scarf gives some much needed and useful speed to Magnezone.

Electivive @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Mild
Evs: 36 Atk / 220 Spe / 252 SAtk
  • Earthquake
  • Cross Chop
  • HP Ice
  • Flamethrower
Good Physical offensive is hard to come by on an Electric Type and Electrivive and Luxray were my only viable options. The Mix set is much harder to counter than the pure physica set and that is why this is here.

Earthquake hits a good amount of opponets hard and is very useful. Cross Chop nails Blissey and has good coverage. HP Ice and Flamethrower provide good special coverage and hit some walls pretty hard.

The Evs are for an all out offensve.

Expert Belt gives Electrivive a power boste without ny negative side effects.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Adamant (+Atk - SAtk)
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Stone Edge
He may not be an electric type but he completes my team. He watches over blissey and tyranitar and is not weak to earthquake.

Rest and Sleep talk for the classic combination. It allows Machamp to last as long as possible. No Guard used with Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge provides very powerful offensive ability.

The EV spread is my own, it is well-rounded and works well. Adamant is an obious choice for the power boost tto boost his lovely attack stat.

Leftovers adds a little extra bulk.

FROM THE BACK

THREATS

This team ussually finds a way to deal with studd but it has some specific problems with.
  • Snorlax - it wont die and earthquake hurts Solved with Machamp
  • Latias - walls special pokemon Not such a problem anymore
  • Blissey - just switches when Electrivive comes in Solved with Machamp
  • Swampert - it hurts Not so much
CONCLUSION

I hope I gave you raters something out-of-the-ordinary to look at. I was luckey as I just found a nich with electric typed that allowed my to build this team.

For you raters, other viable electic types are Raikou, Jolteon, Luxray(kinda), and Electrodude(as a lead).

So Please, Rate Away

I really think you should drop HP Ice on Magnezone for HP Grass.

You have plenty of Pokemon with an Ice type move, and you really need some more grass to take out Swampert. Otherwise, if Zapdos is gone, Swampert comes out and its pretty much almost gg from there.

Also how about Fire Punch on Electivire over Thunderpunch? Your team is full of Pokes with an Electric type move, so is Thunderpunch really necessary? It provides some stab, I guedd, but Fire Punch could help you take out Celebi or pesky Tangrowth that are trying to stop your team.

Other than that, I really like it. Electric is a pretty awesome type and this seems like it could beat some good teams.

How would Fire Punch be better for Blissey then Thunderpunch? I agree that Tpunch on Electivire is redundant, but I don't understand that reasoning.

How would Fire Punch be better for Blissey then Thunderpunch? I agree that Tpunch on Electivire is redundant, but I don't understand that reasoning.

Oops I'm sorry I didn't check what I wrote before I posted it.

I mean to put Celebi there, not Blissey. My apologies.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
You won't be outspeeding much with Magnezone to use HP Ice on it before they EQ you, so that slot is slightly problematic. As joshaka1 said, HP Fire would be better to take down Scizor with it.

Don't put HP Fire on Magnezone. Without a Scarf you aren't outspeeding Scizor, who is just going to use whatever Fighting move he has on you and own you. You have Zapdos as a very reliable Scizor counter (Rotom really can't do anything back with only Shadow Ball).

Alright: Jolly nature on Raichu. He needs speed more than that little attack. Also, Leftovers aren't viable on a lead as fragile as Raichu. Life Orb will make his Fake Out more powerful. Alternatively, you could use Focus Sash to make up for Raichu's paltry defenses and the fact that he'll get OHKOed very easily. Honestly, run Zapdos as a lead if you need to. Your Raichu loses to Swampert, Metagross, and Heatran. Zapdos can at least take down the first two (although Metagross exploding on you wouldn't be good).

Zapdos and Rotom look standard/fine. Lanturn seems to be fine. I don't know what purpose Magnezone serves. His only real use is revenging steels. You have Zapdos for Scizor (Lanturn also takes .25 from Bullet Punch, but X-Scissor/U-Turn do him no favors) and Skarmory shouldn't be a problem with all the Electric attacks. And yeah, you won't be fast enough to make use of HP Ice (HP Grass takes out Swampert, but very little more). Consider switching Magnezone for something a little more useful.

Electivire is generally more effective as a mixed sweeper. I would say throw Thunderbolt over Thunder Punch, but I don't know.

In short:
-Raichu sucks. Use LeadZapdos if you need an Electric-type lead..
-Give Rotom Overheat over something (Will-o-Wisp: Lanturn has Toxic and you'll find that the two will conflict). That's your new Scizor counter. You could also make it TrickScarf. This will make Blissey a lot easier to handle.
-Replace Magnezone. I can see Sub/CM/Thunderbolt/HP Ice Raikou working decently, actually, as it brings some much needed Speed/Offense/Stat-raising to this team. You could also use something hitting from the Physical side of the spectrum (I don't know what), as Blissey has potential to completely rape this team (despite Electivire) if you don't.
-You need another Fighting type attack. Mono-Electric unfortunately means that it won't be STAB, but having a backup against Blissey and Snorlax is pretty valuable as they can wall the majority of your team.

Done:

Ok I replaced Will-o-Wisp for Overheat on Rotom-H.

And I put fire punch on Electrivive.
I agreaa that the mixed electrivive sweeper is better except im not ever gonna get the motor drive boost and my team needs all the physical offense it can get.

Considered:

I am actually going to try Scarf Magnezone with HP Fire and I will try Zapdos as a lead.

Raichu is gone so i'll try replacing him with the Sub SM Raikou that was suggested or maybe I'll try one of the UU electrics with a physical set.

Lokking for another fighting move but there isnt much out there.

Does this team have to be 6 electric types? Most monotype teams are based around 4/5 electric types. If you can use 1 poke thats not electric then you should consider running a machamp or another bulky fighter just to ensure your check on blissey.

Just a few things. I think Riachu is dying way to quickly with Sub and Volt Tackle, plus SS. Entry hazards also. If you add life orb it is more suicide than using a CB Head Smash from Rampardos on a Blissey. Also I think CB should be dropped in favor of expert belt on E-Vire. I just dont like the idea of a pokemon who relies upon a broad array of moves like Vire to be choiced. Other wise its a very good team, especially for a mono type. Though, in mono type usually you can have 1 that isnt that type. Or at least in tourneys I have seen.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DDTar absolutely throttles this team, as you aren't packing a single thing that can outspeed +1 Tyranitar or survive one of its hits. Zapdos can't hurt it effectively, neither can Lanturn, neither can Rotom, and Magnezone doesn't do extremely well either. It comes in on 4/6 of your team and destroys you without a second thought. And really, there's no way to effectively handle it with an Electric team outside of Scarfing Electivire. So just watch out for that.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most mono-themed teams tend to have a wild card. I recommend that you drop someone, maybe Raichu, and replace it with someone who handles the aforementioned DDtar, as well as Blissey. Machamp sounds good.

Ok thanks a lot for all the rates.

I Changed

The first thing I did is removed lead Raichu all together and moved my Zapdos to the lead. Im not sure if the moveset needs to be changed or if it is fine as it is.

Second, Magnezone now runs Choice Scarf and HP Fire instead of HP Ice.

Thirdly, Electrivive now carries Expert Belt over Choice Band for the ability to switch attacks.

Fourth, I put a Sleep-Talk Machamp in for now. Im not sure if its the best moveset or best spread for Machamp but ill work on it.

I Might Change

And lastly, I am considering a diffeent set for Rotom-H since I already have a sleep absorber and the need to absorb earthquakes has lessened now that machamp is around.

I'm gonna stick with rest-talk Rotom-H. Two sleeptalkers on my team only mde status absorbing easier and each pokemon seemed to die too quickly without it.

Anyother rates??

Give Machamp Adamant 252 HP/252 Atk/4 HP to outspeed Blissey. Payback over Stone Edge if you're ResTalking since ghosts love to come in on DynamicPunch and the bulkiest of Rotoms can't take repeated Paybacks.

You might want to update your weakness / resistance chart. I see problems with Blissey. Only Machamp and Electivire have the real fire-power to stop it, and Machamp isn't an Electric type.

I suggest replacing Machamp with Luxray, yes, Luxray.

Luxray @ Life Orb
Ability: Either
Nature: Rash
EVs: 112 Atk / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
- SuperPower
- Thunderbolt
- HP Grass
- Crunch

This is pretty much a slower, mixed attacking Electivire. SuperPower can OHKO Blissey, Thunderbolt is good stab, and HP Grass takes care of Swampert nicely. Crunch deals with opposing Rotom. With Intimidate, you'll be able to switch in a lot easier, but Rivarly can give you a huge boost in power, making you extremely hard to stop unless you come across something faster than you.

Another option to consider in SubJolteon. You can pass Magnet Rise to your team mates, such as magnezone or Luxray to make them harder to take down.

Good luck with this team!

Comments in Dark Red.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Modest (+Satk -Atk)
Evs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 36 Spe / 104 Satk / 36 SDef
  • Thunderbolt
  • Heat Wave
  • HP Grass
  • Roost
I see the need for a good EV spread. Consider the following EV spreads over the current ones, so you get a better bulk towards one side of the spectrum and aren't stuck in the middle: 252 HP/104 SpA/116 Def/36 Spe. This gives you your hitting power, required HP, good defensive bulk and your normal speed. For a special defensive EV spread, just change the 116 Def EVs to 116 SpD EVs. If you want to be more bulkier and lose out on attacking power, just add in those SpA EVs to Def or SpD depending on the attacks you want to counter.

(H)

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold (+Def -Atk)
Evs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SDef
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
  • Overheat
  • Shadow Ball
I would really recomend you put Wil-O-Wisp over Overheat, so you can burn while sleeping, and so Scizor, Tyranitar, Gyarados and Salamence don't switch in, expecting free boosts. If you do put Wil-O-Wisp, then consider putting Discharge or Thunderbolt for the last slot. Discharge will provide 30% paralysis rate and can be useful seeing as your fasted Pokemon is ScarfZone, while Thunderbolt provides a harder hitting STAB than Discharge. If you don't want the Electric move, you could always keep Overheat or Shadow Ball for the last slot and just put Wil-O-Wisp in the 3rd slot. If you do put Wil-O-Wisp, then you might want to consider making Rotom-H a purely defensive set. You could use the following EV spread: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe.

Launturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Calm (+SDef - Atk)
Evs: 40 HP / 80 Spe / 136 SAatk / 252 SDef
  • Surf
  • Thunderbolt
  • Ice Beam
  • Toxic
Nothing much on here. Consider Thunder Wave over Toxic and possibly Confuse Ray over Thunderbolt. This will give you ParaFusion. I've used this in UU, and it's actually pretty useful.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Mild (+SAtk -Def)
Evs: 88 HP / 88 Atk / 84 Spe / 248 SAtk
  • Thunderbolt
  • HP Fire
  • Flash Cannon
  • Explosion
This is a very bad EV spread. Consider the following EV spread: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe. This will help you with the scarf and you can hit harder. The 4 Atk is for Explosion.

Electivive @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SAtk)
Evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
  • Earthquake
  • Cross Chop
  • Fire Punch
  • Ice Punch
Have you considered a MixedVire:

Electivire @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Mild Nature
36 Atk/252 SpA/220 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice/Grass
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake/Thunderbolt

This gives you slightly better coverage. Flamethrower + HP Ice help stop Scizor and Gliscor. Cross Chop is for Blissey and Tyranitar. While, Earthquake is for Heatran. You could use Thunderbolt over Earthquake for STAB, but you already have other Pokemon for that.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
Nature: Adamant (+Atk - SAtk)
Evs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 24 Def / 24 SDef
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Stone Edge
Pretty good over here. Consider this EV spread: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe. This works with Rest Talk for very great survivability.

I'm really going to second this one.

Electivire @ Expert Belt/Life Orb

Mild Nature
36 Atk/252 SpA/220 Spe
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake

Physical electrivire is too easily walled now, and this set has great coverage and if you can switch in on an electric attack he can wreck havoc on unprepared teams.

Anyway I would also suggest removing Machamp for something almost as bulky but faster, like Heracross as he can really rip through unprepared teams, especially the choice scarf version late game.

He also has 5, 50% resistances as oppose to machamps 3 + Higher speed .

Ok then, I will use the mixvire set. I found it to be much more effective then the physical set. Thanks a lot guys.

I am using the 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe set on Machamp as I find it works better. Its okay to have a wildcard pokemon on a mono-type team. That luxray looks inviting but I really need machamo to handle blissey. I tried out heracross and he works okay, but machamps extra bulk has proved more useful on this team than the extra power.

I changed the EV spread on Magnezone to 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk, I dont even know why I was using such a dumb spread.

I tried out the para-fusion thing on lanturn and I like it. So I'll make those changes.

On Rotom-H I originally had Will-o-wisp over Overheat so I'll switch it back. I personally find that I prefer Shadow ball over an Electric attack but I might try it out. And I go with the all defensive set (252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SAtk).

For Zapdos, Ill use the first alternative EV spread mentioned as it works better. (252 HP/104 SpA/116 Def/36 Spe).

I like stone edge on Machamp but I'll consider payback. But fo now i'll stick with stone edge.

Wow guys I really appreciate the number of rates coming through.

Keep on Going, this team is getting really good.

p.s. I'll update the resistance chart

actually I put payback over stone edge.

It is much better.

I'd just like to mention that this kicks ass in suspect if I change all thunderbolts to thunder. It really causes rain teams problems.

Even thought Electric isn;t my favorite type, I must say I liked this team very much. It's nice to see another person who goes all the way with his/her favs!
~One of the few mistakes youv'e made is dropping Electric STAB on some Pokemon just because you "already have enought"-I keep Ice attacks even on the non-Ice Pokemon I use. Id'e use Rotom-F with Rest/Sleep Talk/Blizzard/TB, but that's just me :P ...Also use TB or ThunderPunch on Electrive and Discahrge on Lanturn. Using Frost Rotom also enables you to deal with Gliscor.
~You can also go 108HP/144Atk/252Def/6Spe on Machamp for the extra physical bulk...

Defensive Zapdos and defensive Rotom is redundant imo. I think Zapdos would serve you better as a lead if it were scarved (U-turn, Thunderbolt, Heat Wave, HP Grass).

Have a nice day.

Even thought Electric isn;t my favorite type, I must say I liked this team very much. It's nice to see another person who goes all the way with his/her favs!
~One of the few mistakes youv'e made is dropping Electric STAB on some Pokemon just because you "already have enought"-I keep Ice attacks even on the non-Ice Pokemon I use. Id'e use Rotom-F with Rest/Sleep Talk/Blizzard/TB, but that's just me :P ...Also use TB or ThunderPunch on Electrive and Discahrge on Lanturn. Using Frost Rotom also enables you to deal with Gliscor.
~You can also go 108HP/144Atk/252Def/6Spe on Machamp for the extra physical bulk...
Thanks a lot. Frost rotom is cool but id like to use him on a team with hail support plus i reakly like how Heat Rotom scares the crap out of scizor. I will try a electric attack on electrivive but really like the coverage. I will definately use discharge on Launturn. I like it better. For machamp I tried te defensive set but I prefer the power. Thanks for the idae though as I know know a lot more about Machamps limitations. Thanks.

You listed having a fire immunity...? You have one Fire resist...
Fixed
Defensive Zapdos and defensive Rotom is redundant imo. I think Zapdos would serve you better as a lead if it were scarved (U-turn, Thunderbolt, Heat Wave, HP Grass).

Have a nice day.Mar 10th, 2009 3:06:31 PM

Have a nice day.Mar 10th, 2009 3:06:31 PM

Have a nice day.
Actually I need both of them to win. I really like my Zapdos so if anything i'd change the rotom set. Thanks anyway. And you have a nice day too :P.

Wow this is going great.

Have you tried an offensive Rotom? Your team is fairly balanced between offense and defense as it is, but you don't have much of a "special sweeper".

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
~ Overheat
~ Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave

It cripples and packs a punch. Will-o-Wisp will increase physical bulkiness. Shadow Ball is STAB. Thunderbolt is STAB, though Charge Beam makes Rotom eligible for a sweep, and Overheat as its signature move. You have HP Ice, Fire, and Grass already. You could try Rotom-w instead with Hydro Pump over Overheat. It gives you more coverage, although Scizor won't be as scared (just burn it and Thunderbolt it, or let it become Charge Beam fodder). Leftovers because it doesn't have recovery and despite its defense stats without investment, it does have many resistances and immunities to capitalize on.

Have you tried an offensive Rotom? Your team is fairly balanced between offense and defense as it is, but you don't have much of a "special sweeper".

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt/Charge Beam
~ Overheat
~ Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave

It cripples and packs a punch. Will-o-Wisp will increase physical bulkiness. Shadow Ball is STAB. Thunderbolt is STAB, though Charge Beam makes Rotom eligible for a sweep, and Overheat as its signature move. You have HP Ice, Fire, and Grass already. You could try Rotom-w instead with Hydro Pump over Overheat. It gives you more coverage, although Scizor won't be as scared (just burn it and Thunderbolt it, or let it become Charge Beam fodder). Leftovers because it doesn't have recovery and despite its defense stats without investment, it does have many resistances and immunities to capitalize on.
Me Like

I am gonna use that set with charge beam and will-o-wisp. I like charge beam cause it can open up a sweep.

sorry it took me so long to reply, I was busy.

I dont expect anymoe rates but if you do, it might take me a while to respond be cause i am going on vatation to....

C
CU
CUB
CUBA
CUB
CU
C

lol

thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)