Pokémon Mimikyu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can it's ability waste a Z-Move? I know Z-Moves brake through protects and the like, but an ability might be a horse of a different color...

OK, so playing in game now and a CPU opponent's Pyukumuku has been spamming Gastro Acid on Mimikyu but had no effect for 3 turns straight, which means Disguise might be immune to Ability negation attacks. can I get a request to have this confirmed elsewhere?

I swear I'm starting to love this thing more every day.

OK, so playing in game now and a CPU opponent's Pyukumuku has been spamming Gastro Acid on Mimikyu but had no effect for 3 turns straight, which means Disguise might be immune to Ability negation attacks. can I get a request to have this confirmed elsewhere?

I swear I'm starting to love this thing more every day.
It's immune to being removed or skill swapped and I don't think it can role played, but mold breaker and ability ignoring attacks do ignore it.

You know I've been thinking this is gimmicky as heck but would a set like...

Curse
Pain Split
Destiny Bond *Or third move of choice*
*insert 4th move*

Work? With disguise it's probably the only ghost that can run curse so effectively and safely and then you follow up with pain split since 9/10 times the enemy is going to have a lot more HP than mimikyu what with its pitiful base HP. If they switch to cancel out the curse then a fresh mon will get immediately drained by it. 96 speed is nothing to laugh at and when Mimikyu is almost dead short of some decently fast pokemon or priority Destiny Bond can pack a hugely mean surprise. Granted I'm not sure what kind of nature or EV spread would be good for such a gimmicky moveset.

Alolan Raichu would like to talk
Alolan Raichu isn't a pikachu silly boy.

I've seen a lot of z-move using mimikyu which is neat, Like by far the most used z-move user I've seen on the ladder. I feel like it's mostly hypetrain talking but it seems like a nice fail safe to save a sweep from failing.

I feel like as the meta develops this tactic will be more easily countered and determined to not be that useful, but this pokemon does have a lot of nice set options, boosting sweeper being by far the most used so far, but bulk utility is very possible. Will-o-wisp, painsplit (off that base hp? Oh boy) playrough as a stab and your main attack, and either infestation or thunder wave.

Would running max defense+ s.defense be viable on this thing in a tanking role? Maximize the usefulness of pain split without giving up too much bulk.

Ram22

formerly PurpleCrispy
So Ive been using Red Card Mimikyu on latter, and I have to say that if you can bring it in at the right time, you can put a dent in an opponents team quite easily.
Has anybody found any mons that have really good synergy with it though? Right now it kinda just feels a little disconnected from things to me.

So Ive been using Red Card Mimikyu on latter, and I have to say that if you can bring it in at the right time, you can put a dent in an opponents team quite easily.
Has anybody found any mons that have really good synergy with it though? Right now it kinda just feels a little disconnected from things to me.
I haven't tested it out yet, but I've been thinking about pairing it up with a sub-passer. That gives you a layer of protection on top of your layer of protection. It gives you more time to do something like Twave or Swords Dance, even Psych up if you really want to screw with a boosting sweeper.

With that strat you'd probably want to pair it up with a Toxic/Toxic Spikes user too like Toxapex. It's got hilarious stall potential especially if you stick another substitute on Mimikyu itself.

So after seeing this I'm gonna have to get myself a nasty Mimikyu. Are there any Synchronize mons out there that would be good to sit in front of this thing while chaining? Specifically taking into account the move set it has when you find it in the wild. I caught a single female adamant one by pure accident for my dex, but am having trouble acquiring a Destiny Knot and other stuff to get my breeding going, nor would it be easy to Masuda it...

Can anyone confirm if disguise stacks with focus sash?

Someone against me set up a substitute, used Z-splash, and then murdered me while I was trying to find the right switch in. It was not fun.

Can anyone confirm if disguise stacks with focus sash?

Someone against me set up a substitute, used Z-splash, and then murdered me while I was trying to find the right switch in. It was not fun.
Disguise activates at full HP and Sash activates at 1 HP. They wouldn't conflict.

Mimikyu (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak / Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw
- Sword Dance
- Play Rough

Mimukyu is a really good physical attacker with high special defense and a unique ability that allows it to take a blow once without taking damage. Also, he only has two weaknesses: ghost and steel and he is immune to three types: normal, fighting, and dragon. On top of both of these advantages, Mimikyu has a good speed stat but can get out-sped (is that a word?) by 169 Pokemon (according to Serebii). The starting move of course would be Sword Dance. Not only does it raise Mimikyu's attack by two, but it also gives the trainer an idea of which of the Pokemon in play are faster. If the opponent is faster, then Shadow Sneak can be used next turn for the speed advantage (alternatively, you can swap out Shadow Sneak for Sucker Punch). Shadow Claw is Mimikyu's best ghost STAB move and has a high crit chance. Combined with the increased attack from the Sword Dance used on the first turn and the possibility of a critical hit, this move can be deadly. Play Rough is also an excellent STAB move Mimikyu has. It is good for dealing with dragon, dark, and fighting type Pokemon as well as normal types since they are immune to both Shadow Sneak and Shadow Claw. The Lum Berry is for protecting Mimikyu against first turn stat moves and toxic spikes. Even though damaging stat conditions don't break Mimikyu's disguise, they can put him in a tough spot (especially the attack reduction burn brings along with it). Some of the possible counters to this are the aforementioned normal types which rule out two of Mimikyu's moves (one if you replace Shadow Sneak with Sucker Punch). 23 of the 169 Pokemon (including megas) that can out-speed him are normal types, meaning the trainer has to make a choice between doing a Sword Dance first then Play Rough or just go for Play Rough first and hope it takes down the opponent. All in all, this Mimikyu can annoy Pokemon trainers if they don't know what it is capable of.

Last edited:

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
xwasp I haven't done the testing to determine what the optimal item for Mimikyu would be on an offensive set, but you never want to use Hone Claws on it because it gets two other boosting moves via TM that straight-up outclass it. Swords Dance is better for pure offensive sets, and Bulk Up could potentially have some utility on a bulkier boosting set. Play Rough misses are a pain in the ass, but you're still averaging a LOT more damage with SD even with the occasional miss factored in, so it's still a better option than Hone Claws.

Last edited:
xwasp I haven't done the testing to determine what the optimal item for Mimikyu would be on an offensive set, but you never want to use Hone Claws on it because it gets two other boosting moves via TM that straight-up outclass it. Swords Dance is better for pure offensive sets, and Bulk Up could potentially have some utility on a bulkier boosting set.
I thought about Sword Dance, but I decided to go with Hone Claws to increase the accuracy of Play Rough

We know, we're saying it's outclassed. Think about it. A Swords Dance is more useful than Hone Claws at a bare minimum 90% of the time, assuming the only move you use after a single Hone Claws is Play Rough. Does that sound like a good trade off to you?

We know, we're saying it's outclassed. Think about it. A Swords Dance is more useful than Hone Claws at a bare minimum 90% of the time, assuming the only move you use after a single Hone Claws is Play Rough. Does that sound like a good trade off to you?
I guess not.

On a side note, I bet I know why they kept its Japanese name in the English version: because in English it becomes a pun. Mimikyu = mimic you. :p

Then again, maybe everyone's already figured that out. If so this was kind of pointless. :p

Cuddle You? (Mimikyu) @ Lum Berry/mental herb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak

free trick room is awesome
why make him slow if he has a good speed stat? He's the 170th fastest Pokemon, which by Gen 7, would mean he's faster than over 600 Pokemon by default. Plus, why have shadow sneak if you want trick room? This moveset does not seem to make sense, especially for Mimikyu. A Pokemon with the ability Prankster can utilize this moveset better (if you replace trick room). In fact, Sableye would be a good Pokemon for this moveset if you replaced trick room with hone claws (though he can't learn destiny bond)

Just saw a livestrem on Twitch.TV of a guy doing super singles using a Brave Mimikyu @ Red Card with Trick Room/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Pain Split as lead. Its partners were Bewear @ Sitrus Berry with EQ/Superpower/Return/Swords Dance and a Vikavolt @ Life Orb with Energy Ball/Bug Buzz/Thunderbolt/HP (Fairy I think).

I know it may not be the best set ever but definately interesting and worth a look. He went 20-0 and kicked Red ass in one run, I really enjoyed watching it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
why make him slow if he has a good speed stat? He's the 170th fastest Pokemon, which by Gen 7, would mean he's faster than over 600 Pokemon by default. Plus, why have shadow sneak if you want trick room? This moveset does not seem to make sense, especially for Mimikyu. A Pokemon with the ability Prankster can utilize this moveset better (if you replace trick room). In fact, Sableye would be a good Pokemon for this moveset if you replaced trick room with hone claws (though he can't learn destiny bond)

Like that's just what I was using in battles, main point of it was to have a for sure set-up for Trick Room, I didn't touch it's speed because I have no idea where I want it, maybe outspeeding from threats before/after trick room is used is important.

idk if it learns D-bond or not but it worked in all the battles I was in yesterday .

Just think trick room setter will be a role it'll have no matter what tier it falls to

Like that's just what I was using in battles, main point of it was to have a for sure set-up for Trick Room, I didn't touch it's speed because I have no idea where I want it, maybe outspeeding from threats before/after trick room is used is important.

idk if it learns D-bond or not but it worked in all the battles I was in yesterday .

Just think trick room setter will be a role it'll have no matter what tier it falls to
It does get Destiny Bond, so you could use that or WoW as a last ditch anti-sweep move. Hell I'm thinking about a DBond/Play Rough/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak set personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)