Mimikyu (BSS)

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
:ss/mimikyu:
Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw / Phantom Force
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Even despite the Disguise nerf, Mimikyu still retains its position as the top offensive threat in BSS! Aside from Disguise, Mimikyu's traits include great dual STAB moves that threaten Dragapult and Aegislash, access to Swords Dance, which synergizes well with Disguise and makes Mimikyu difficult to wall, and priority in Shadow Sneak, which allows Mimikyu to pick off weakened, faster threats. In addition, Mimikyu makes for a decent user of Dynamax; Max Phantasm drops the foe's Defense; coupled with Swords Dance, it enables Mimikyu to potentially overwhelm even defensive behemoths like Toxapex and Hippowdon. Phantom Force, while less reliable than Shadow Claw, can most notably stall out opposing Dynamax and gives Mimikyu a stronger Max Phantasm. Steel-types like Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Mold Breaker Excadrill are very dangerous for Mimikyu, so it appreciates the support of Rotom-H, Cinderace, and Taunt Corviknight.

Last edited:

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Not Theorymon but I'm also bss qc so:

>Even despite the nerf of Disguise, Mimikyu still retains its position as the prime revenge killer in BSS!

I wouldn't really say Mimikyu's role is exactly summed up as revenge killer - it's got the offensive-defensive utility that allows it to generally stall out most Dynamax attackers without having to spend your own Dynamax and finish them off with boosted Shadow Sneak. It is also one of the best Pokemon to send out in double-downs, the best Pokemon to account for the uncertainty of what 3 they picked in Team Preview, and a competent sweeper on its own right, etc. There's so much to Mimikyu beyond "prime revenge killer" but I do understand the constraints of Character limit.

>Aside of Disguise, Mimikyu's traits include great STAB combination, severely hurting popular threats like Dragapult and Tyranitar,

it is notable that most Tyranitar will carry Steelspike with Weakness Policy which will always beat Mimikyu 1v1 with Dynamax with plenty of HP remaining, even if Mimikyu counterdynamaxes. Perhaps Aegislash or Dracovish (while significantly less popular) is a better example of a Pokemon that Mimikyu actually beats because of its supereffective coverage.

>In addition, Mimikyu makes for a decent user of Dynamax: Max Phantasm drops the target's Defense and, coupled with Swords Dance, enables Mimikyu to potentially overwhelm even defensive behemoths like Toxapex and Hippowdon.

I'm not sure if there's room to mention this but Max Starfall is just as big a factor in Mimikyu beating defensive Pokemon like Hippowdon (and Sylveon), as Yawn won't work with Misty Terrain active.

>Phantom Force, while less reliable than Shadow Claw, gives Mimikyu a stronger Max Phantasm.

The main draw of picking Phantom force is to stall out an extra turn of Dynamax, which is quite relevant as their Dynamax will be completely expended just trying to KO a Phantom Forcing Mimikyu.

Mimikyu is a difficult mon to sum up in 1K Character Limit, but it is absolutely one of the top candidates for a BSS Spotlight because of how dominant it is. It would also be a big help if some of our top tier BSS players like Dragonwhale and Greilmercenary can comment on this so we can prioritize its more important aspects because I think it's inevitable we miss out on some information. Good luck!

Last edited:
I think you can make more efficient:

Even despite the Disguise nerf, Mimikyu still retains its position as the top offensive threat in BSS! Aside from Disguise, Mimikyu's traits include great dual STABs, severely hurting popular threats like threatening Dragapult and Aegislash, access to Swords Dance, which synergizes well with Disguise and makes Mimikyu way harder difficult to wall, and priority in Shadow Sneak, picking off weakened faster threats. In addition, Mimikyu makes for a decent user of Dynamax: Max Phantasm drops the target's Defense, and Max Starfall blocks status from moves like Yawn and Scald; coupled with Swords Dance, they enable Mimikyu to potentially overwhelm even defensive behemoths like Toxapex and Hippowdon. Phantom Force, while less reliable than Shadow Claw, can most notably stall out opposing Dynamax and gives Mimikyu a stronger Max Phantasm. Steel-types like Corviknight and Ferrothorn are very difficult for Mimikyu to break past, so checks to them like so it appreciates the support of Rotom-H and Cinderace are good teammates to it.
Ive removed some words so you can add more in potentially such as TR

Egor

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
sorry for the delay but did the above^. any more comments?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
opinions please?
[4:06 PM] Greilmercenary: hey I just saw the Mimikyu Spotlight thing
[4:07 PM] Greilmercenary: I think most of the important information was covered given the space limitations
[4:07 PM] Greilmercenary: but I took at crack at revising a few things:
[4:09 PM] marilli: yes
[4:09 PM] marilli: thank you a lot
[4:09 PM] Greilmercenary: Despite the Disguise nerf, Mimikyu retains its position as a top offensive threat in BSS! Besides Disguise, Mimikyu has great STABs for the metagame, Swords Dance to help it break opposing threats, and priority in Shadow Sneak to pick off weakened faster targets. Mimikyu is an excellent user of Dynamax: Max Phantasm's Defense drops can help it break defensive targets while Max Starfall blocks status. These traits enable Mimikyu to potentially overwhelm defensive cores while still heavily pressuring offensive teams with Disguise's free turn. Phantom Force can also be used over Shadow Claw for a stronger Max Phantasm and to stall opposing Dynamax, which Mimikyu is already elite at due to Disguise. Mimikyu can also support its team with Trick Room and Curse when paired with slower threats like Rhyperior. Steel-types like Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Mold Breaker Excadrill are very dangerous for Mimikyu, so checks to them like Rotom-H and Taunt Corviknight are good teammates for it.
[4:09 PM] Greilmercenary: so there's a crack at a revision^
[4:09 PM] marilli: ty ty
[4:10 PM] Greilmercenary: one small gripe I had was that the checks to opposing Steels listed all lost to Mold Breaker Drill which is why I mentioned Taunt Corvi
[4:10 PM] marilli: yeh
[4:11 PM] Greilmercenary: though tbf Scarf Rotom-H generally at least brings Drill down to Sash since it usually isn't EQing into Mimi
[4:11 PM] Greilmercenary: but otherwise I refined the wording to get the space needed to mention Curse + TR options
[4:14 PM] Greilmercenary: should I pass the above on to Egor by posting in the thread or something?
[4:26 PM] Greilmercenary: also I'm not sure if things mentioned need to be slashed in the set, but if so the move order should be 1. Play Rough, 2. Shadow Sneak, 3. Swords Dance/Curse, and 4. Shadow Claw/Trick Room, though of course TR Mimi also tends to have different spreads and items than standard offensive (just noting 252 HP/252+ Atk would be fine but there's really no room, and stuff like Room Service, Mental Herb, or Babiri is typically used > LO for support)
[4:29 PM] Greilmercenary: I would normally say that offensive is so much more important that TR can be reduced to side mention but TR Mimi + Rhyperior is freaking everywhere on cart right now; sometimes people use Hat over Mimi but in general Mimi is way harder to play around IMO since it's so much easier to make sure TR gets up with it
[4:29 PM] Greilmercenary: Hat usually has to choose between setting TR and dying or trying to get off damage

i'm not sure if these spotlights are supposed to be a general overview or an overview of 1 set in particular, but i briefly mentioned Mimikyu's utility movepool and if there is merit in mentioning them depending on the goal of the analysis.

Egor

RoAPL Champion
i'm not sure if these spotlights are supposed to be a general overview or an overview of 1 set in particular, but i briefly mentioned Mimikyu's utility movepool and if there is merit in mentioning them depending on the goal of the analysis.
spotlights are usually aimed to cover one exact set for a pokemon, so i personally don't feel strong on including curse & trick room here. this set should be a different one, since it heavily differs from the LO set in the spotlight.
my bad on forgetting about covering mold drill in team options tho, fixing this.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw / Phantom Force
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Even despite the Disguise nerf, Mimikyu still retains its position as the top offensive threat in BSS! Aside from Disguise, Mimikyu's traits include great dual STABs, moves that threatening Dragapult and Aegislash, access to Swords Dance, which synergizes well with Disguise and makes Mimikyu difficult to wall, and priority in Shadow Sneak, pickingwhich allows Mimikyu to pick off weakened, (AC) faster threats. In addition, Mimikyu makes for a decent user of Dynamax:; Max Phantasm drops the targetfoe's Defense; coupled with Swords Dance, they enable Mimikyu to potentially overwhelm even defensive behemoths like Toxapex and Hippowdon. Phantom Force, while less reliable than Shadow Claw, can most notably stall out opposing Dynamax and gives Mimikyu a stronger Max Phantasm. Steel-types like Corviknight, Ferrothorn, and Mold Breaker Excadrill are very dangerous for Mimikyu, so it appreciates the support of Rotom-H, Cinderace, and Taunt Corviknight.
GP 1/1

Last edited:

Egor

RoAPL Champion
did^ ty. the spotlight's ready!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)