Metagross

It seems most sets will have to drop the Explosion :'(
im pretty sure metagross' explosion was the hardest non-boosted attack in the game.
I think the choice band set has some potential with MM, Thunder/ice punch, hammer arm and earthquake. Maybe im missing something but i reckon that would be a decent set coming off metagross' 135 base attack. Metagross hasnt really gained many attacking options too.
I am so sick of dream world abilities.. OMG, they give metagross light metal and milotic CUTE CHARM and then they give bidoof Inconsistent raaaaage
2 of my fave pokes getting useless abilities and barely any attacking options.
But the claw sharpen set looks promising, we can load up Metagross with semi inaccuate moves and fix his accuracy and attack. MM might not be from the best attacking type but it certainly hits hard and the attack boost is nothing to laugh about on a already 1+ and almost fully accurate Meteor Mash coming off metagross
Choice Band is superior as it does not require setup time. Setting up is basically a call: "SHANDERAA COME IN AND OHKO WITH OVERHEAT LOL!"

Of course, you can play Wifi where the Shadow Tag Chandelier bastard does not exist, but then the boost isn't really enough unlike SD which boosts +2 per turn.

Also, with a Choice Band/Iron Ball, with a little prediction you can TrickBand/Iron Ball an incoming Shandera and use your nifty new item to kill the Chandelier.

Choice Band is superior as it does not require setup time. Setting up is basically a call: "SHANDERAA COME IN AND OHKO WITH OVERHEAT LOL!"

Of course, you can play Wifi where the Shadow Tag Chandelier bastard does not exist, but then the boost isn't really enough unlike SD which boosts +2 per turn.

Also, with a Choice Band/Iron Ball, with a little prediction you can TrickBand/Iron Ball an incoming Shandera and use your nifty new item to kill the Chandelier.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't setup usually mean Agility, which will allow you to outspeed and OHKO Shanderaa with EQ?

I agree that Claw Sharpen is pretty worthless, though. Just saying setup isn't a bad option.

Yes, Choice Band is the worthless set, in this situation, as it's a banner syaing 'Hey Shandy, come in after I've attacked, or even as I do so, lock me in and OHKO with Overheat'.

Setting up with Metagross = Agligross = LOLShandy, I OHKO you with Earthquake and you can't do anything about it.

That's if Shadow Tag Shandy actually existed, of course. Which it dosen't.

Oh, and the strongest unboosted attack in the game was LickyLicky's STAB Explosion, I think.

I actually suspect Metagross will no longer be the high offensive sweeper of previous gens but become more of a support Pokemon this gen. Screens, decent coverage, Trick and SR at the very least means Metagross can do more than just run people over, pretty much variations of the lead set. Or where it has to be offensive it might start become special based mixed builds.

CBGross is quite frankly a joke this generation as so many things just switch into it and wall it all day long. Bulky Vaporeans don't care much for non-Tpunch Metagross, Heatran, Swampert, Nattorei, Forretress and Skarmory usually gets a free switch in no matter what, Ulgamoth, Kingdra, Scizor, Burungel and Gyarados enjoys coming in onto its steel attacks,

Almost useless, IMO. Last gen it could scrape by using GK and Shadow Ball for Swampert and Rotom Formes, but that is much less viable this gen as they are nowhere to be seen. I guess you could try running HP Fire for Nattorei, but it is already neutral to Earthquake and doesn't do too much to Metagross as is.

I see Metagross as more of a tank this gen. Water and Steel types are as prominent as ever, and Explosion's nerf makes CBGross less appealing than it was previous gens (though it still has its uses). Agility Metagross can't get by sturdier walls without the MM Atk boost, either. It should be running MM / Earthquake / Bullet Punch / Filler (usually rocks or a screen, IMO).

Poor Metagross got nerfed because it can't really use Explosion to that "go boom and kill the other Pokemon" effect any more.

At least it still gets Trick... It'd be a nasty surprise for a Shandera switching in on the expected Meteor Mash and instead gets Tricked an Iron Ball.
Or a choice Band. CM Shandy would hate that.

Hrm. Actually, Dual Screen Metagross seems like it could be quite a good bit of use this generation. I do agree that perhaps we should look at Metagross more as a highly bulky Steel Type that can actually hit shit back with a strong Meteor Mash, even if Steel offensively is poor.

How's this for a mixed Metagross set?

Metagross-Life Orb/Expert Belt (Clear Body)
Brave (Atk+,Spd-)/Quiet (SpAtk+,Spd-)
80 HP/124 Atk/252 SpAtk/52 Spd
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Icy Wind/Psychic
Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Fire)

Agiligross is probably still good this gen. Might want to run Zen Headbutt over Thunderpunch to screw with Roob, though. Ice Punch hits Gliscor, Landlos, Garchomp, and pretty much everything else in sand but Dory SE, so it stays. Balloon Agiligross is probably the best set, unless LO gives necessary damage to some matchups. Hammer Arm could also be conceivable to kill Dory, but you'd probably have to switch out after.

eh, Claw Sharpen definitely is an upgrade. Not only did Metagross get a move which boosts Attack, but it also ups Meteor Mash's accuracy to 100%. Going to try that out for sure.

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Grass Knot

How's this look? And does this get perfect coverage?

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Shadow Ball
Grass Knot

How's this look? And does this get perfect coverage?
Use Hidden Power (Fire) in place of Shadow Ball, for Skarmory, Scizor, Forretress and Ferrothorn.

Trick + Iron Ball completely fucks up common switchins like Skarmory, Thundurus, Rotom and Gengar, all of which he can defeat with EQ

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just finished training my Metagross, managed to get 397 for attack, any good or try again?
x
Well assuming it is +Atk nature, 252 attack, that puts it at an IV of 23. Not bad at all, but not amazing. Weather or not year should keep it is really up to you though.

Yeah, he needed Levitate or FlameProof, imo. HOWEVER, no one ever complained about Clear Body (due to no Intimidate), so at least we still got that.

He needs Stone Edge and Shift Gear, though.

He doesn't need Shift Gear. He'd be ridiculous with Shift Gear. And what would he use Stone Edge for that Hammer Arm/Meteor Mash/Ice Punch/Thunder Pucnh won't cover for?

Stone Edge would be used to hit both Gyarados, Zapdos and Thundurus (Moltres and Charizard too, but they're not common) in one slot, if you can't spare another. For example a Band set with Meteor Mash/Earthquake/Stone Edge/Bullet Punch, you'd miss on hitting bulky waters hard though. It also hits Rotom-W neutrally (and Rotom-H super effectively) as opposed to all attacks being either NVE or not hit it at all against it (but if you run Zen Headbutt, the latter won't matter much).

Shift Gear would be an awesome toy for it, but Curse would be nice too.

I recently came to the same conclusion that it should have gotten iron fist, lore-wise and competitively it makes sense, as well as learning trick room. A TR set with iron fist-boosted hammer arm, bullet punch, and meteor mash could be devastating. Gyro ball could have been dangerous at -6 as well if it got it.

He does get balloon this gen, which works well on leads and even sweepers for the setup turn. He also makes a deadly ShellPass receiver, as with the right coverage moves, he can outspeed and KO a ton of threats. He also has bullet punch to fall back on.

I honestly never see Metagross anymore, except as an occasional lead. Though I recently stopped playing OU anyways, once UU was released.

Has anyone tried a double dance Metagross? Something like

~Rock Polish/Agility
~Hone Claws
~Meteor Mash
~Earthquake

Yeah the coverage is not stellar but it's not horrible. Metagross has the bulk (and typing) to pull it and smash things with a +1 accurate Meteor Mash from its attack. Maybe as a late game sweeper?

Metagross is really good this generation although he is missing explosion. I use this set:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Stealth Rock

With this set, it is a beast. It gets always Stealth Rock up and most of the time, he kills the opponent's Dragon who think they can KO with EQ. That's why Shuca berry > Air Balloon for Metagross imo. He takes 46.4% - 54.7% from a life orb Jolly Garchomp and KOs back with Ice Punch (when it doesn't miss because of Sand Veil) He can even take an Draco Meteor of Specs Latios (it does 51.1% - 60.4%), so he even doesn't get 2HKOd by DM. It can also lure and kill things like gliscor/landorus and kill it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)