ORAS OU MegaGross and 5 other Pokémon including a pony with glasses

Hi hello this is, quite obviously, the RMT for a team I have developed around a Rock Polish Mega Metagross.

The general premise of this team is to weaken the opposing team as well as things that give Rock Polish Mega Metagross a difficult time to sweep, so MegaGross can sweep of course. A focus of this team was on momentum, which is why Talonflame, Jirachi, and Rotom Wash all have U-turn/Volt Switch, since they can be abused in certain scenarios. The other general focus, was balance. I'm a big sucker for balanced teams, so I'd rather stick to it if possible. Anyway, here's the team :]

Fister (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Polish

Ok so this thing is ungodly in nearly all aspects. You know what it does, with a combination of its bulk and decent typing it's supposed to set up Rock Polish and clean through the opposing team with Meteor Mash getting STAB & a Tough Claws boost to hit like a truck (and a chance to give me +1 Attack), Zen Headbutt cause it hits pretty darn hard, and Hammer Arm for those annoying Ferrothorn and Heatrans trynna stop me from sweeping :/ and of course, Rock Polish because Rock Polish Mega Metagross wouldn't be itself without Rock Polish.

I'm not entirely sure on the EV spread, max attack seems fine to abuse his damn strength but the speed and hp were given to me by a friend so I just went with it. Suggestions there as well as on the coverage moves would be great, but I've found my current attacks to be fine, most of the time.

Latinas (Latias) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias yes, I LOVE Latinas. While my team isn't stealth rock weak at all besides TalonSMOGONflame, it is still a pain in the ass to have to deal with constantly losing HP just by switching so I added this baby. Chose this babe over Latios cause I like her bulk and HEALING WISH. Having Metagross fuck with my opponents recklessly early then doing it again late game is an awesome asset that Latios can't give me. Life Orb, standard Timid max speed and sp. attack is just cause I don't know a more optimal EV spread so help with that would be great n_n

Draco Meteor is obvious STAB of choice with LO hitting darn hard, particularly Slowbro, Quagsire, Rotom-W and other annoyingly bulky things that MegaGross can't handle on his own. Psyshock for secondary STAB, although I've considered HP Fighting for Bisharp so I don't have to rely so much on Keldeo for him. Defog cause that's the whole point of Latias role on the team, and Healing Wish cause it's pretty damn awesome and effectively gives MegaGross a second wind at my opponents.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Wish

So I decided I wanted a defensive core that didn't kill momentum and I ended up with Specially Defensive Jirachi and Physically Defensive Rotom-Wash because they have U-Turn and Volt Switch respectively AND Jirachi gets Stealth Rock. This Jirachi is Specially Defensive and takes on quite a number of threats through either it's typing or bulk, such as Mega Venusaur, Lati@s, and Mega Gardevoir AND it has excellent type synergy with Rotom Wash. Stealth Rocks 'cause it's the most important move in the game, U-Turn for momentum shenanigans, Wish because wish passing is totally reliable :/ and Jirachi doesn't have reliably recovery unless I had Protect on it :( and of course Iron Head b/c STAB, 60% flinch chance, and Fairies. The EV's maximize special bulk while outspeeding Adamant Bisharp letting me U-Turn out.

I'm not sure if I wanna keep Jirachi, sometimes I feel like it pulls it's weight and sometimes I feel like the fact that it shares it's typing with MegaGross kinda makes it a liability to my team against things like Gengar and Bisharp, Darks/Ghosts in general. I'm willing to let Jirachi go, but I supppse I'd have to modify my team to fit Stealth Rock somewhere.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Rotom Wash, old classic on like a lot of teams from like since forever ago. 1 weakness, ok~ish/acceptable bulk, but awesome typing and great synergy with like everything, in this particular team however, with Jirachi. Volt Switching in and out racking up damage on opponents Pokes as they also switch in and out is glorious. Hydro Pump is mandatory of course. I have both TWave and WoW because I don't like relying on Pain Split, running Protect to get two turns of Lefties seemed kinda ehhh, and I don't like ChestoRest much at all, so I figured I might as well run double status so I can cripple things the way I want whether it's WoWing an opposing MegaGross or TWaving a Lati. EV spread is just bread and butter physically defensive.

Rotom-W is great. Probably won't swap it out unless my entire team warrants it but it checks Talonflame for MegaGross nicely if it's healthy obviously.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric

This damn thing is amazing. With specs it hits hard as shit , and checks Bisharp nicely. The allure of specs for me, was that it'll open up holes in teams and make room for MegaGross to get Rock Polish on its belt and sweep. The EV spread is standard max speed and special attack for an optimized offensive stance. I use Surf instead of Hydro Pump cause I'm a pussy and I fukin h8 missing Hydro Pump >:[ Secret Sword is obvious secondary STAB. Scald is a weaker Surf with 30% of burning, and it is usually what I decide to spam most of the time and the small power difference makes me reconsider Hydro Pump over Surf. Hidden Power Electric lets me hit normal Gyarados, who checks Keldeo unfortunately, for a lot off damage.

Love Keldeo. S rank for good reasons. I dunno if I'd really swap it out or make any changes besides Hydro Pump > Surf.

And finally

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Standard Talonflame. Not much to say but this thing along with Keldeo and MegaGross make a respectable attack force, opening up holes for each other or sweeping by themselves. Talonflame serves as my revenge killer with Choice Band allowing it to hit hard as shit with its STAB moves. U-turn gives me that beautiful momentum that Jirachi + Rotom Wash do, as well as escaping certain Tyranitar on the switch as well as opposing Rotom Wash. Tailwind is my choice over WoW since it acts as a pseudo Rock Polish for Mega Metagross but for a few turns and the entire team as well so it appealed to me greatly in the event where I don't need Talonflame anymore.

OTHER THOUGHTS

Not much else to say. I like this team a lot since it is pretty balanced and has 2 of my favorite Pokémon in Keldeo and Mega Metagross. The team functions pretty well based off my record with it (26 wins, 2 losses), but it could use help in some areas like the EV spreads and maybe changing the team itself a bit. I find myself having a hard time playing against opposing Mega Metagross, Gengar, and Azumarill too and I always end up trying to play around them. Trying to reliably kill off Scarfed Landorus Therian is also a pain in the ass >.> so tips on that would be great. Anyways that's all I got. Thanks for the criticizm/advice/etc. in advance :)

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm kind of short on time, so this might not be as lengthy as you might of hoped, but I'm just going to quick list a few recommendations I think you should make to better benefit the success of your team.

Firstly, I believe you should run the more optimal Mega Metagross set in All Out Attacker > RP + 3 Attacks, as this allows you to utilize that great speed tier and its diverse move pool better, to effectively take care and handle a larger pool of Pokemon immediately, instead of being force to set up. Secondly, I recommend using Recover > Healing wish, as your team lacks reliable checks for Keldeo and Pokemon a like that can be maintained, as nothing is currently using reliable recovery meaning that your switch ins will get worn down. Using Recover handles this problem and will provide an easier time keeping your team healthy against such threats. Lastly, you should run Pain Split > Thunder Wave, Thunder Wave is really only used on Rotom-W when your team has an obvious Dragon weakness, which yours doesn't with the use of Jirachi and Mega Metagross handling them fine. In saying this your team might seem to struggle with Mega Charizard X, but with specs Keldeo and Banded Talonflame around you really shouldn't have that hard of a time dealing with it (through revenge kill at least). Pain split also keeps your only hard counter to Talonflame alive and kicking, so its pretty beneficial.

Hope you were able to get something out of this and I wish you and your team the best of luck with your future endeavors!

Mega Metagross Set:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot / Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Hey man, I'm kind of short on time, so this might not be as lengthy as you might of hoped, but I'm just going to quick list a few recommendations I think you should make to better benefit the success of your team.

Firstly, I believe you should run the more optimal Mega Metagross set in All Out Attacker > RP + 3 Attacks, as this allows you to utilize that great speed tier and its diverse move pool better, to effectively take care and handle a larger pool of Pokemon immediately, instead of being force to set up. Secondly, I recommend using Recover > Healing wish, as your team lacks reliable checks for Keldeo and Pokemon a like that can be maintained, as nothing is currently using reliable recovery meaning that your switch ins will get worn down. Using Recover handles this problem and will provide an easier time keeping your team healthy against such threats. Lastly, you should run Pain Split > Thunder Wave, Thunder Wave is really only used on Rotom-W when your team has an obvious Dragon weakness, which yours doesn't with the use of Jirachi and Mega Metagross handling them fine. In saying this your team might seem to struggle with Mega Charizard X, but with specs Keldeo and Banded Talonflame around you really shouldn't have that hard of a time dealing with it (through revenge kill at least). Pain split also keeps your only hard counter to Talonflame alive and kicking, so its pretty beneficial.

Hope you were able to get something out of this and I wish you and your team the best of luck with your future endeavors!

Mega Metagross Set:

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot / Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm
Thank you for your input! :] Recover > Healing Wish definitely sounds good, as you put it, nothing on my team has reliable recovery or checks Keldeo reliably, I'll try this out along with Pain Split > Thunder Wave Rotom-Wash.

I'm a little hesitant on changing Mega Metagross to Jolly + 4 attack only because I really like RP + 3 attacks MegaGross, but I'll play more with this team to see what MegaGross does.

Hi, few small changes.

I'd run an SD+Roost set on Talon over a Choice Band set. Talonflame offers a lot from a defensive typing standpoint, and Roost gives it increased longevity to repeatedly check some important threats. It also lets Talon negact recoil and potential SR damage (not that it should aim to switch in on SR). RP Metagross is a solid set, you may want to consider Earthquake > Hammer Arm. The set you are currently using outspeeds the entire meta at +2, that advantage goes away a little bit at when you drop to +1. Hammer Arm is primarily used to hit Ferro / Skarm, but RP Metagross is more of an anti-offense sweeper anyways. Keldeo and Talonflame can reasonably expect to to beat what Metagross can't defensively. If you want to keep Hammer Arm, at the very least run 148 Speed on Meta to avoid the speed tie with Mega Aero / Mega Zam after a Hammer Arm speed drop.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

^EVs outspeed base 115 Speed mons, allowing you to hits something like Raikou with Flare Blitz.

Hey there! Interesting team you've built there.

The first thing I noticed is that having Jirachi would stack weaknesses to Sand Offense in general. Additionally, you've already got Mega Metagross who checks nearly the same threats as Jirachi - Fairies, Mega Venusaur and Latis. Now, I'm not really a fan of Jirachi as a hazard setter as it doesn't really have a good matchup vs. opposing Stealth Rock users. Also, Keldeo may also be a problem for your team and it's not like Mega Metagross would like to come in on opposing Scalds. Despite having Latias on your team, Keldeo is often paired with a Pursuit trapper such as Tyranitar or Bisharp. Another thing I noticed is that your team doesn't really have a proper check to Water-types. With that said, I am suggesting Support Celebi over Jirachi. Celebi can provide hazards, while serving as a better check to Water-types including Keldeo, Excadrill without SD, Mega Lopunny, Thundurus, and more. Celebi can also provide Thunder Wave support, to nerf dangerous threats (including its usual switch-ins) such as Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard-X, Scarf Tyranitar, etc. It does make you have to forego wish support, though it stacks less weaknesses to your team and you still check Mega Diancie and have Mega Metagross to check Jirachi's targets.

The second thing I suggest is Jolly SD > Band Talonflame. This gives a better switch-in to Talonflame's targets, since you gain access to Roost, something that the Choice Band set misses out. Also, Talonflame can clean offensive teams by boosting with SD and won't really have a hard time setting up given that Talonflame can force a lot of switches. Also, SD Talonflame doesn't hurt your momentum much compared to Band Talonflame, who risks getting locked to an unfavorable move thus making it prediction-reliant to use properly.

I'd go run Pursuit > Rock Polish on Mega Metagross in order to help Keldeo deal with the opposing Lati twins and other Psychic-types that can't really threaten Mega Metagross. In fact, Mega Metagross is a good Lati switch-in, only getting 3HKOed from Draco Meteor. For the nature and EV spread, it can go down on two separate roads. A Jolly + 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe can be opted in order to take advantage of Mega Metagross' great speed tier, outrunning opposing Keldeo and tie with important opposing 110s such as Gengar and Mega Diancie. However, this would result on a weaker Pursuit and sacrifices power and bulk. Alternatively, you could run Adamant + 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe, in order to take advantage Mega Metagross' high Attack stat to wallbreak and Pursuit trap better, extra bulk to come in on targets better, and the speed EVs outrun neutral-natured base 100s and Jolly Excadrill. For a Pursuit trapper, you don't really need too much speed, though this comes at the cost of failing to outspeed max speed positive-natured base 90s and higher. Power + bulk vs. Speed is a matter of your preference.

Since you have Mega Metagross to get past Fairy-types (and possibly the Latis if you run Pursuit), Rotom-W to handle regular Gyarados and birdspam, as well as Talonflame to threaten Grass-types, then an optional suggestion is to run Substitute + Calm Mind > Specs Keldeo to handle Stall teams better, seeing you don't really have a dedicated stallbreaker. Substitute allows you to block status from passive walls while racking up a free turn to attack or boost with CM, being able to fire off free Scalds in hopes of racking up free burns on opponents. Not getting choice-locked makes you less prediction-reliant and makes you less set-up fodder. Also, being behind Substitute eases prediction and annoys opposing passive mons too. While it does lack immediate power from Specs, I feel that you might want to try out SubCM and see how it goes, seeing that you don't really have a dedicated stallbreaker.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

*While 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe outruns base 115s and Scarf Magnezone, you can opt to run 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe instead to outrun Weavile and tie with the opposing Talonflame.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe (for Jolly) or 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe (for Adamant)
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit
- Hammer Arm

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Hope this helped, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)