ORAS OU Manaphy + Mega Scizor Bulky Hyper Offense? (Dual Scarf)

Hello everyone, so this is my second RMT on Smogon and this is a team I used on the X and Y ladder to qualify for the OLT. Surprisingly I used it on the ORAS ladder and it still works. However I feel like the team can still be a lot better (not that it isn't, I find it pretty good for me). Maybe. Maybe not. Anyways on to the team!

Team At A Glance:

Team Building Process -

So to begin this team I wanted to use Manaphy because of how powerful it is. (lol don't think much else to say)

Now I was thinking I needed something to beat electric types since I have a Manaphy. But obviously every electric type packs hp ice. That didn't really matter to me though because surprisingly Tail Glow Manaphy + Sub SD Chomp have great synergy. (If one fails to sweep the other one will).

I needed something to take care of Manaphy's Grass weakness too and Scizor was cut out for this job as it sets up on most Grass types when they lack HP Fire (So basically Ferrothorn).

This is where I needed a stealth rocker as well as another electric resist/immunity since Garchomp shouldn't be the one absorbing Electric moves. And it worked out for me since it also gave my team water immunity so no scald burns for you son. Walling Rotom-W for dayz.

I thought now I needed to scarf something. Togekiss is cool because it has access to Trick and Dragon/Ground immunity. So basically most Garchomps these days don't touch this. And I'm beating anything that likes to stall. Not to mention beating Mega Sableye by either flinching it to death or just straight out killing it with it's stab fairy move.

Here I thought all I needed was defog and something that hits hard, but of course I was wrong

I felt that I needed something faster than Latios so here I used Greninja. My team was then weak to Pinsir and had to change this slot once again. (Now I can't even use Greninja as its banned anyways so whatever).

Now I chose a Scarf Magnezone just to deal with Skarmory and Pinsir and that was basically it.

So then thinking about everything, I thought I needed something fast, bulky and hits hard so I thought why not Scarf Kyurem-B as it is all of the above.

The Team In-Depth:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

To start the team I wanted to use Manaphy because it simply is an amazing pokemon in general. To my surprise it isn't even used that much. Anyways the spread is the one I took off on the forum. It's pretty bulky and can set up on a lot of things except for the obvious weaknesses to Manaphy. (I do cover most of Manaphy's weaknesses with my team). Rain Dance + Tail Glow for massive damage from Scalds and Psychic to take out Mega-Venusaur, Tentacruel, and basically any water immune pokemon. Manaphy is just a really nasty pokemon in general. I mean it's cute and all but man does this thing dent teams with its power.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Next up we got Garchomp! Another great pokemon, and sets up on anything that likes using Will-o-Wisp to burn me such as Mew, or Rotom. I would use a bulkier spread on this, but I mean I used to run like 192 HP evs just so I can eat Seismic Tosses from Chansey and just set up all over it. But it isn't worth it really. Garchomp is pretty bulky anyways and can take pretty much any non boosted moves. (obviously not Ice, Fairy or Dragon) Garchomp has potential to just dent team just like Manaphy with just one SD.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

And for my Mega of my team its the almighty Scizor! Once all counters and checks are eliminated you best believe my boy Scizor will clean up games for me. This time I'm using a little more of a bulkier spread because I needed something to heal itself. Usually my pivot for Latis, Gardevoir. If I see no counter/check thats an ez set up to win. Otherwise I just use it to pivot with Roosts. Obviously sweep later if necessary with Scizor.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

My stealth rock user, also known as my Rotom-W check which everyone loves to use soo much. Lol I love how this huge monster frog completely wrecks Rotom-W. Seismitoad be absorbing scalds for days so I don't have to worry about getting one of my pokemon burnt or anything. Needed something for Charizard X and Seismitoad can kinda 1v1 him, although it is possible my team does get wrecked by Charizard X once it sets up a Dragon Dance. But I also love the fact that Seismitoad can wall Mega-Metagross which isn't too much of a problem anyways but its still awesome.

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Now for Scarf user number 1, that's right Togekiss. Hehe it's pretty straight forward "flinch, flinch, flinch." I mean it could be really bad for me when I don't flinch my opponent lol. Trick is there so I can beat walls like Chansey, Clefable if it sets up to much, or if something is setting up on me I can just trick it to stop it from doing that. Dazzling Gleam is stab and hits Mega Sableye for big damage and Tyranitar I guess. Fire Blast I think ohkos Ferrothorn, either way it still does a lot of damage to it and other steel types which I like.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

For my last member of the team we got one of my most used pokemon with my most used set, Scarf Kyurem-Black. I love using Scarfed Kyurem-Black because it's really powerful just like Salamence in DPP OU when it was OU. Kyurem kinda reminds me of Salamence, I suppose that's the reason I like this pokemon so much. Outrage is stab and deals a lot of damage as well as the most used move on this set. I only use other moves when I don't want to lock myself into Outrage or when Outrage is just walled by something and I'm forced to use a different move. Kyurem-Black most of the times cleans up games for me too..

Thanks for reading! And any feedback over my team is appreciated! :]

Threat List:
Skarmory:
Physically Defensive - While I do have Manaphy that can deal with it, hazards completely destroy my team

Ferrothorn:
Standard - Ferrothorn causes a lot of trouble to me as it also stacks hazards. Though Ferrothorn is set up fodder for Scizor, the hazards are still a pain to deal with.

Suicune:
Calm Mind - Suicune is really annoying as I have to Trick my Choice Scarf on to it with my Togekiss just to deal with it. It's not a huge issue as I have Seismitoed that shuts this down afterwards. Anything that is defensive, I have to Trick it to deal with it. And then set up all over it.

Charizard Mega X:
Dragon Dance - Once this sets up a Dragon Dance, I think its game over for me, as all I have is Seismitoed to "wall" it, and you know almost nothing does a better job at walling this other than Quagsire which I'm not using.

Charizard Mega Y:
Sun Attacker - This most of the time gets a kill and I have to revenge kill it with Garchomp, Kyurem-B, or flinch it to death with Togekiss.

Scizor Mega:
Swords Dance - Other Scizor's can be a problem. I have to rely on Scald burns to beat this or even my own Scizor if that fails.

Excadrill:
Sand Rush - Huge threat. I kinda have to stall out Sand in order to beat this or have kept my Garchomp Seismitoed or Manaphy healthy for the entire battle.

Mew:
Stallbreaker - This could be a problem but I have Sub SD Garchomp and Tail Glow Rain Dance Manaphy that could break this.

Venusaur Mega:
Offensive - Venusaur beats a lot of my team members. I do have Togekiss, Kyurem and Psychic on my Manaphy that could possibly deal with this.

Ludicolo:
Rain Dance Sweeper - Yup this 6-0s me lol. The only rain sweeper that could actually cover my entire team. I can't deal with this as long as rain is up. Though this isn't really too common, its still an issue. Can't beat everything I guess.

Landorus-I:
Special Attacker - Usually gets a kill from lead, Kyurem-B one shots it however.

Clefable:
Physically Defensive - Unaware Clefable is a problem as my team is full of set up sweepers. I have Togekiss that can flinch it to death or Trick its Choice Scarf to it.

Magnezone:
Choice Scarf/Specs - This one is big as it can trap and kill one of my win conditions. I guess that's the sacrifice of using a good pokemon such as Scizor

Talonflame:
Swords Dance/Stall Breaker - Recently noticed my team had a weakness to one or the other. I usually have to sack a pokemon to beat this because I don't know what set it is at first. Stall Breaker Talonflame is pretty annoying though

*Will add more threats as I see them

Cores that give this team problems:
+

Can't stress how much this completely shuts my team down. Scizor is my only "counter" for Ferrothorn, but I can't bring my Scizor in, when I see a Charizard in team preview. After Charizard sets up a DD it does just swoop through my team. :[
+

I mean I don't feel that bad losing to this crap lol. Who doesn't get annoyed by this anyway? But I feel my team is kinda shut down by this. Usually when you play a core like this, its gonna be in a stall team. So even if I trick my Choice Scarf to Chansey, theres a high chance there will be a second pink blob on the team :[

Importable:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Psychic

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 44 Atk / 116 Def / 100 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Last edited:
I really like your team, I just have one suggestion for manaphy.. Why not put surf instead of scald and ice beam instead of rain dance? When you're at +6 you aren't really looking to burn anything haha, I'd personally rather have a little more power behind a move.

Thank you. To be fair I've already tried that version of Manaphy, and I prefer the one I'm using simply because it helps with weather teams (sun,sand). The fact that its ability, allowing it to heal it's status (which defeats Toxic + Protect stalling) is really awesome. Rain Dance + Scald hitting hard against Unaware Clefable and Quagsire not to mention the 30% burn chance which is neat. Unaware Clefable would have a difficult time healing with Moonlight as long as Rain is up. +6 Scald in Rain pretty much destroys anything haha. Not to mention that Rain halves my Fire weakness which gives Scizor a more free chance to set up also. But thanks for your opinion!

Hey its a brilliant team imo but you could try superpower or knock off on Scizor instead of bug bite. Granted bug bite benefits from both STAB and technician but steel-bug doesn't have a good coverage. Moreover superpower will help beat Ferrothorn and also Magnezone on the switch. Knock off can be run to cripple lando-t and chansey and generally cause plans to go awry. Togekiss isn't a good scarfer and I would recommend changing it to lando-t. This removers the problem your team has with charizard. Lando-I doesn't seem that big a threat imo cause both manaphy and kyurem will take care of it.

Hope I helped glhf playing :)

Why don't you use Quagsire>Seismitoad and a Defog Togekiss. Rotom-W is checked with your Kyurem's Earth Power, while Quagsire checks Megazard X too. Defog Togekiss deals with your weakness to Hazards.

Sets:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic

I'm sure you will not change it, but a Landorus-T should decently handle a good portions of the mons which give your team problems. Seismitoad should obviously be the substituted mon. Lando helps with bird spam, which right now is not that common anymore, kills +1 Charizard X, u-turns out of Ferrothorn on the switch, counters SR Excadrill, and somehow doesn't instantly dies to Landorus-I (unless it packs HP Ice). Mega Metagross should not be a problem with the Manaphy / Scizor / Lando-T core. You will lose some advantage against Rotom-W and Keldeo tho, which is definetely not nice.
> Seismitoad
Landorus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Also, the M-Scizor EVs spread doesn't make too much sense after the Aegislash ban. Let me explain. Someone came up with that spread in order to take less than half from Aegi's Shadow Ball (it was 49.x% max iirc). Since Aegi is not around anymore, I suggest you trying this different spread.

EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 176 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature-
With those SpDef EVs you can always live Latios' HP Fire, which could come in handy seeing your team structure. 8 EVs in speed like you have in your spread, an adamant nature to maximize the amount of EVs and the rest in Def, to better take physical hits.
And I love how you said the team if weak to RD Ludicolo, when the only gen VI Ludicolo I have ever seen in a tour has been used by you. I really like the team. Let me know what you think about my suggestions!

Last edited:
I like all your suggestions though I'm going to leave the team as it is. That new Scizor spread metmaver posted I will take into consideration after I test it however. At first I wanted to switch Togekiss's set but now that I think about it, it would just give my team more issues as a whole. The reason why I'm not gonna change Togekiss's set to defog is because it would give me more issues with Mega Gallade, Heracross, Medicham and Breloom. Where as the scarf can just revenge kill them all. Scarf Togekiss can arguably be a bad choice for a scarf user but its all personal preference I suppose. (its really good because its annoying). And I need Seismitoed as it sets up Rocks and absorbs water lol. Now that I think about it now I do need something to get rid of hazard and the one thing I would change is Kyurem-B because so far its been dead weight for me in oras. With all these Fairies and Steels around it does nothing for my team. I mean yeah once they're eliminated Kyurem-B puts in a lot more work. But the last spot of my team has always alternated between Greninja, Latios, Magnezone and Kyurem-B. I will consider changing Kyurem-B to something else that is relevant. Thanks for all the rates so far though guys!

*EDIT Added my team building process

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I noticed a lot of these threats you have is sort of mitigated with AV Kyurem-B. I don't have an exact spread for it but the one I've been playing around with is this one.
Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
EVs: 120 HP / 96 Atk / 228 SpD / 64 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Just to give you an idea it lets you survive Lando-I's Focus Blast after Rocks, eats up moonblast from Clefable, almost nets the KO on Azumarill after rocks with Fusion Bolt based on its most bulky spread, as well other traits such as handling Char-Y a bit better. Unfortunately this is more dependent on hazard removal and you lose a revenge killer in the process thus making you a bit more Char-X weak. There's probably a better spread however so this is just to give you some ideas.

So I guess if the issue is Char-X in a sense my question would be what's stopping you from using Haban Berry on Garchomp? I get the idea of Leftovers on its SubSD set but this is more or less what I see as the biggest issue on the team cause hazards + Char-X will inevitably floor you where some of the others can be played around a bit better.

I don't have a real response for hazard removal other than something like Latios I guess but that would make the team just crazy weak to Mamoswine and general Ice users so that would require more testing. Other than that I did enjoy seeing this in your OLT run and it's nice to see it here so good job.

Well I do see your point in using Haban Berry on Garchomp, but I mean I like the leftovers recovery overall. In battles where there is no Charizard X, Haban berry seems kinda wasteful because it won't be used for the entirety of the match. (I have Scizor and Togekiss for other any other Dragon type). And I've beaten Charizard X teams' before, I just have to play a bit smarter and not bring in my Scizor a lot or lock myself into Earth Power on Kyurem which Charizard sets up on both. Ferrothorn + Charizard X would be a great example of a core that I would probably struggle against because usually I use Scizor to beat Ferrothorn. So I think the real issue for me is Ferrothorn/Hazard setters + Charizard X.

As for the Assault Vest Kyurem, It isn't a bad idea now that Pinsir is pretty uncommon. But I dunno I'm not really feeling it. Having the Scarf on it was a great back up check for Keldeo, Lati twins, Landorus-T, Charizard Y etc.

Reactions: AM
If magnezone is such a threat vs your mega scizor why not use u-turn on it? The move will also get a boost from his ability + STAB. The only thing im not sure about is if he will outspeed magnezone so he can u-turn intime.
Assuming your opponent uses the basic Smogon magnezone sets he is only able to OHKO your mega scizor with choice specs, but using this sit you will be able to outspeed him and switch in to something like manaphy. and take the HP fire.
If he is using a SCARf however he will outspeed you but cant OHKO you in return. So you really want to have u-turn in his set, this way you can also lure his counters in and use u-turn straight away and switch into something that can take on the hits for you.

I was thinking about switching Bug Bite for Superpower but then I realized that I would have nothing to deal with Slowbro/Bulky waters which is why I went for the Bug/Steel coverage instead of the superior Fighting/Steel coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)