Man trampled to death in Black Friday shopping stampede

Probably late on this, but I found this not too long ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/nyregion/30walmart.html

Jdimytai Damour was a big man — 270 pounds, by one account — but he was a gentle giant to his friends, who said he loved to chat about movies, Japanese anime and politics. So on Saturday, they were still reeling from the violent and seemingly inexplicable way that Mr. Damour had died — trampled before sunrise on Friday, the police said, by rampaging shoppers running into a Wal-Mart store on Long Island where he was working as a maintenance man for the holidays.

A day after a worker was trampled to death, shoppers lined up outside a Wal-Mart on Saturday and police cars patrolled the area.

“If you wanted to know about a show, this was the guy, and he had a great sense of humor,” said Jean Olivier, who met Mr. Damour eight years ago in the Rosedale section of Queens, a few minutes’ drive from the store where he was killed. “He was the guy who was always lively. He would have personally gotten out of the way if he knew they wanted that stuff.”

Shoppers started lining up late Thursday night at the Wal-Mart, at the Green Acres Mall on Sunrise Highway in Valley Stream, not far from the Queens border, where DVDs, flat-panel television sets and other entertainment items were discounted to attract crowds on the traditional first day of the Christmas shopping season.

Mr. Damour, 34, who was known to his friends as Jimbo, or Jdidread because of his dreadlocks, got his job at Wal-Mart through Labor Now, an agency for temporary workers. He had been trying to hold back a crush of shoppers pressing against the store’s sliding-glass double doors, the authorities said. Just before the store’s scheduled 5 a.m. opening, they said, the doors shattered under the weight of the crowd. Mr. Damour was thrown to the floor and trampled.

The Nassau County police were trying to determine what happened during the stampede, but said it was unclear if there would be any criminal charges. Michael Aronsen, a Police Department spokesman, said he did not expect the department to announce the results of its investigation this weekend. The department has been looking at videos from the store’s surveillance cameras and sifting through witnesses’ accounts. Another department spokesman said on Friday that it would be difficult to determine who was responsible for Mr. Damour’s death.

The Nassau County medical examiner has not announced a cause of death for Mr. Damour, who died just after 6 a.m. on Friday, about an hour after shoppers burst through the Wal-Mart doors. Four shoppers were injured in the stampede.

Hank Mullany, the senior vice president of Wal-Mart’s Northeast division, said in a statement that the company had hired extra security officers and installed barricades before the store opened, but “despite all of our precautions, this unfortunate event occurred.”

David Tovar, a company spokesman, declined to say how many extra officers had been added on Friday. Each store, he said, made its own security arrangements. Security at the mall is handled by a subcontractor, Securitas, which patrols the parking lot but not inside the Wal-Mart, which opened in 2003 and employs more than 300 workers.

On Saturday, two security guards were posted outside the Wal-Mart, which is next to a Petland Discounts store and a National Wholesale Liquidators outlet. Workers were repairing one side of the metal door frame that was damaged on Friday.

The Wal-Mart was busy on Saturday, with long lines at the registers. Many shoppers were aware of Mr. Damour’s death and said they were appalled that people did not stop to help him as he lay on the ground, and instead surged into the store seeking bargains.

“How do you stomp somebody like that?” asked Kenny Murphy, 30, of Lynbrook, N.Y., who was shopping with his wife, Lara. “It’s disgusting how people acted yesterday.”

Wal-Mart workers interviewed on Saturday said they had been told by their managers not to speak to reporters or give their names. But they said that on Friday morning, when the store was closed for a few hours after Mr. Damour’s death, dozens of workers gathered near the front door to pray. They were led by a woman who worked as a greeter.

“It was crazy,” said a worker in the electronics department who was in the store during the stampede. “The deals weren’t even that good.”

Some of the workers said they were still shaken by Mr. Damour’s death and added that they had mixed feelings about whether the store should have hired more security.

“How could you know something like that would happen?” said one worker, who added that the store was even busier this year than on Black Friday last year. “No one expected something like that.”

Green Acres opened in 1956 on the site of the former Curtiss Wright Airport. One of the first open-air shopping centers on Long Island, it had 1.2 million square feet of retail space and counted Gimbels, J. C. Penney and J. J. Newberry among its first tenants.

In 1968, the center was enclosed and later expanded to accommodate the growing number of shoppers from Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island.
But Green Acres, which is now owned by Vornado Realty Trust, has also seen its share of trouble. In the 1980s, the mall earned a reputation as the “car theft capital” of Long Island. In 1990, four moviegoers were shot — one fatally — when two groups of teenagers opened fire in a crowded theater that was showing “The Godfather, Part III.”
Apparently, a seasonal worker for Wal-Mart was trampled to death trying to hold back customers swarming the store for deals. What really gets me, though, is that the store tried to close because of the death and shoppers were furious that they would be kicked out, complaining that they'd waited in line for too long. I'm sorry, but what the fuck? Is a plasma TV really worth more than someone's life? Are we really that far gone?

I guess the prices were to die for...
Ugh, sorry. Bad joke.

I hate how a day based on materialistic consumerism takes place immediately after the day of thanks. Wow. And someone losses their life over it!? That's horribly fucked up.

We should really just setup a machine gun turret inside a random shop each year.

That would fucking fix this shit.

They probably didn't realize the carpet was alive.

They should have ordered more plasma TV sets, or taken into account the innate profit-seeking nature of the American people and how easily a mob situation could get out of control considering the crowd already at the store before dawn. Just because such things had not happened in the past does not mean it was not an accident waiting to happen.

Holy shit, that actually happened? The thing that really surprises me though is that after what you said, it seemed as though the customers cared about that laptop or plasma TV on sale than a person's life. What the hell is wrong with them?! I personally think they should rot in hell for what they did.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
See, that means that people value money more than people's lives.

And if that is not jumbling up values, I don't know what is.

This is disgusting, not much more to say. But the worst part is that the costumers went mad because the shop had to close.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the more disturbing part of the whole thing is:

Many shoppers were aware of Mr. Damour’s death and said they were appalled that people did not stop to help him as he lay on the ground, and instead surged into the store seeking bargains.
That they knew he was lying there dying, but instead of stopping to help him they rushed into the store to try and get the best deals. That's just disgusting.

They trampled him and out of all the people who went past not one stopped and tried to help him. Perhaps if they did stop they would meet the same fate, more than one person was injured that day. It's very similar to the people crushed at gigs by a frenzied crowd trying to get closer to the stage. It's so hard to understand how people can inadvertently place something material over the life of a person who'll now never come back.

For some, compassion is dead.

... This is just... sad... and I mean that.

I weep for humanity if this is the direction people are really going in...

this is really sad :( I can't believe people would do that...and it's not like it's the grand opening of some store where the first customers get free prizes, it's just Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Something that happens every year that isn't really a big deal at all.

“It was crazy,” said a worker in the electronics department who was in the store during the stampede. “The deals weren’t even that good.”

@ Darkflagrance: This has happened before. Many times in fact.

Ok now onto the quote.

There is a valid reason for why those people did not stop to help the dying man. Maybe (or maybe not) you have heard of the diffusion of responsibility phenomenon.

diffusion of responsibility n. A reduced sense of personal responsibility and individual accountability experienced in certain circumstances by members of a group, often leading to behaviour untypical of any of the group members when alone. See bystander effect, deindividuation, social loafing.

In other words, the more people present, the less each person feels responsible, and the less likely someone is to help. This has been proven many times, and it not bullshit. So yes, while it is disgusting it it isn't all that amazing.

If you want to read a more extreme example of this look up the Kitty Genovese murder.

So this isn't really a "humans are becoming corrupt, and losing all their values" type thing. This has been around for quite some time (the Kitty Genovese case happened in the 1960's) and despite what you might think, it happens to any normal human being.
uh what? diffusion of responsibility is not a 'valid reason' for not stopping to help someone. just because it's a common social phenominon it doesn't make it acceptable.

@ Darkflagrance: This has happened before. Many times in fact.

Ok now onto the quote.

There is a valid reason for why those people did not stop to help the dying man. Maybe (or maybe not) you have heard of the diffusion of responsibility phenomenon.

diffusion of responsibility n. A reduced sense of personal responsibility and individual accountability experienced in certain circumstances by members of a group, often leading to behaviour untypical of any of the group members when alone. See bystander effect, deindividuation, social loafing.

In other words, the more people present, the less each person feels responsible, and the less likely someone is to help. This has been proven many times, and it not bullshit. So yes, while it is disgusting it it isn't all that amazing.

If you want to read a more extreme example of this look up the Kitty Genovese murder.

So this isn't really a "humans are becoming corrupt, and losing all their values" type thing. This has been around for quite some time (the Kitty Genovese case happened in the 1960's) and despite what you might think, it happens to any normal human being.
Actually, I have studied this in Sociology and have read about that case, so the fact that people didn't stop to help him wasn't that surprising (especially since you probably couldn't have gotten close with the huge wave of people); it's the, "You're closing the store 'cause someone died? Fuck that, I've been here since 3:00!" that really gets me.

If the person(s) who wrote that article planned to disgust people in their fellow humans then they have clearly succeeded based on the reactions in this thread. It is clearly written to induce sympathy (which is deserved in my opinion) and disgust; however most people seem to think the article has explicitly declared that those participating in the stampede were aware they were stepping on someone, perhaps even aware that they were killing them by doing so.

To properly analyse what has happened you would need to know how fast the crowd was moving, how packed it was, etcetera. I doubt it would have been possible to help the man even if someone wanted to, it sounds like the way would be completely packed and that it would be difficult to communicate anything to anyone in the crowd.

My morals and general belief about human society lead me to believe that if any of them suspected that the man was in danger of losing his life that they would have attempted to stop the crowd. This leads to me thinking that either one of two things happened:

1) Nobody even noticed that they had stepped on anything unusual/they did not realise they were stepping on a human due to the pace and proximity of everyone else around them.
or
2)They noticed that they stepped on someone but either could not stop or assumed he would survive.

From the photos posted it is extremely unlikely anyone would be looking at the ground. If you are in a place that crowded it would probably be difficult to talk to anyone around you or even look down and see the ground beneath you.

I don't know the exact conditions of how this happened but following my logic and my hopes, nobody should have noticed that this was happening until it was too late.

Obviously this is just a theoretical point of view since I was clearly not involved, though I hope I am right.

Oh and one of the main reasons I posted that was because whenever I look at this thread I see a lot of potential hypocrites.

So many of you are going "I can't believe people would do that, how disgusting!" Meanwhile statistic wise, over 90% of you would also have failed to help in that situation.

Then we get to the "this just shows how much society is degrading these days" when in fact this kind of behavior has been around for a very long time, and is natural for human beings.

Yes it is sad that someone died, but at least don't act like everyone involved are pieces of shit for not helping.

as i said in pm:

i can't say for sure how i would react in a situation where diffusion of responsibility might play a role; i suppose it would depend on a lot of factors. but regardless, if i were to let that feeling of 'oh someone else will do it' take control in something that dire, i would be thoroughly disgusted with myself.

i don't think you should dismiss things as 'oh, thats just the way humans are' when its both horribly negative and totally fixable through things like empathy and courage. i think we as people should try to change them.

and anyway, i don't so much think they're pieces of shit for not helping, i think they're pieces of shit for storming fucking wal-mart with a blatant disregard for anyone's safety, after stupid trinkets at a discounted price.

Oh and one of the main reasons I posted that was because whenever I look at this thread I see a lot of potential hypocrites.

So many of you are going "I can't believe people would do that, how disgusting!" Meanwhile statistic wise, over 90% of you would also have failed to help in that situation.
I am pretty sure I would have tried to help had I been able (if I hadn't, I like these people would be a piece of shit: my being a hypocrite does not excuse the action). Of course, I would not be stampeding a Wal-Mart anyway.
Then we get to the "this just shows how much society is degrading these days" when in fact this kind of behavior has been around for a very long time, and is natural for human beings.
No, I think it is a sign of how stupid human beings are. Besides, genocide has been around for a long time: Should it be excusable as well?
Yes it is sad that someone died, but at least don't act like everyone involved are pieces of shit for not helping.
Many of them are pieces of shit for being caught up in this consumerist herd mentality to begin with.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What I want to know is: Why didn't the police start arresting for disorderly conduct? Wouldn't it have been logical to declare the Walmart a crime scene, and forcefully kick everyone out? Shoppers and consumerism shouldn't be above the law, and if I was an officer I wouldn't care what they were in there to buy or how long they waited in line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)