Pokémon Malamar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just put the thing in trick room with an assault vest,boost up,and when TR is out you (hopefully)have +5 attack,+5 defense and the assault vest to cover up the squishy SpD.Makes it a monster TR sweeper.
And now you have a battered, unhealthy Malamar with no recovery to boost it back up to full and can get killed by any attack even with +5/+5.

Remember, boosting defenses is useless without any form of recovery.

I have a malamar, pretty standard build for evs and movelist. Tried it first on singles but got no good result, tried on doubles but nothing spectacular. Sometimes the skill comes handy when against teams with 1 or more monster using intimidate, but even that, nothing spectacular.

I´m afraid I have to look for other monster on my team... *plays with Malamar on pokemon-amie to make it feel loved even outside the main team*

I've had a lot of fun using a physically bulky build. Investing in defense makes it much easier to survive and get boosts against physical attackers, which increases your survivability even more and makes up for your lack in offensive investment. Any special attacks are going to send you running but a lot of special attacking threats are going to get mangled by STAB Night Slash on a switch in even without any attack EVs or boosts. If you have a way to get the occasional speed boost (sticky web or baton pass--Mally isn't a high priority BP recipient but I find him useful as a backup) the number of threats Malamar can handle increases enormously. It's not OU, but it's not useless.

Malamar is quite well rounded, with good bulk (86/88/75), but how does lack of recovery, NO resistances (other than an immunity to Psychic), and weakness to Fairy help Malamar as a defender?

Personally I've had a lot of fun using Malamar after setting up with sticky web beforehand. I mean, with Superpower, Psycho Cut, and Night Slash I'm not doing much new with it, but a lot of people seem to be underestimating Topsy Turvy. It's situational, but if you come across someone that spends the whole game trying to set up, you can totally ruin them in one turn with that. Ergo, http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-69723876

Malamar is not a great defender, but he needs bulk in order to do his job. Topsy-Turvy is Malamar's biggest ace in the hole but even at max speed he doesn't outspeed the boosted threats he needs to reverse (especially DD users), so he has to rely on being able to take a hit and Topsy-Turvy away the opponent's boosts.

Also, after using Malamar for several weeks I've found Psycho Cut to be rather useless. Chances are anything that you can't handle with Superpower + Night Slash is something you shouldn't be staying in against anyhow, so it's extremely rare that Psycho Cut actually manages to change the outcome of a match. I've replaced it in favor of Taunt, which actually comes in extremely handy as there are a fair number of slower, bulky pokemon which threaten Malamar with status (Trevenant/Gourgeist-Super in particular.)

Malamar is not a great defender, but he needs bulk in order to do his job. Topsy-Turvy is Malamar's biggest ace in the hole but even at max speed he doesn't outspeed the boosted threats he needs to reverse (especially DD users), so he has to rely on being able to take a hit and Topsy-Turvy away the opponent's boosts.

Also, after using Malamar for several weeks I've found Psycho Cut to be rather useless. Chances are anything that you can't handle with Superpower + Night Slash is something you shouldn't be staying in against anyhow, so it's extremely rare that Psycho Cut actually manages to change the outcome of a match. I've replaced it in favor of Taunt, which actually comes in extremely handy as there are a fair number of slower, bulky pokemon which threaten Malamar with status (Trevenant/Gourgeist-Super in particular.)
Just pointing out, all fairy types resist your dark/fighting coverage, so that's why you'd need psycho cut.

Those fairy types will demolish Malamar with or without Psycho Cut. Malamar sweeps are hilarious when they happen but it's better to plan Malamar handling specific situations that he can reasonably handle instead of hoping the opponent plays into your plans for a grand Malamar sweep. Realistically you're never going to actually need to use Psycho Cut. Maybe to power through physical Venusaur I guess? Haven't had it come up yet but it's a possibility.

I've thought of a gimmick set (let's face it, Malamar is a gimmick pokemon) that I think will work out quite nicely - maybe even in OU:

Smelly Surprise
Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Foul Play
- Switcheroo
- Destiny Bond

This set is designed as a utility set and psuedo-trapper - however rather than any actual trapping your opponent's own hubris is what makes their pokemon faint. For a special attacker that's causing you trouble, swap it in straight off the bat (unless they're using something like Bug Buzz or a fairy move) - most mons can only 2HKO Malamar on this set up with a special move so there's no need to let that mon kill something you care about. What they won't be expecting is for you to outspeed them with Destiny Bond (or for you to have brought Malamar in for any reason but desperation) when they try to finish you off, killing the SAtk pokemon that's ruining your day. For a boosted special attacker you can let it take one of yours and then revenge kill using this method, as switching in Malamar is plain suicide. Watch out for Mega Manetric as it's just about the only specially focussed non-scarfed pokemon that will outspeed you (discounting Mega Alakazam which is hardly ever used); you can outspeed all positively natured non-scarfed pokemon below a speed of 134 (which is quite a lot).

For physical attackers you have a few options: you can use the same Destiny Bond strategy or if they have some significant attack boosts and no priority you can use Foul Play, again using the choice scarf to your advantage in that they don't expect you to outspeed. If they have a priority move and they're boosted then a Foul Play revenge kill is in order; Malamar's passible physical defense lets it take boosted priority moves reasonably (e.g. +2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 267-315 (85 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO). Interestingly you can force a switch from the contentious Mega Kangaskhan - it Sucker Punches you Destiny Bond and it has no choice but to leave (or if it uses a different move lacking priority it obviously faints). Mega Aerodactyl is capable of outspeeding you, so that's something to be mindful of.

For some annoying stall/utility pokemon Switcheroo is the order of the day, and if they leave their stalling pokemon in for whatever reason grab an attack boost from Superpower. Switcheroo is nice insofar that in can't be blocked by dark type pokemon like trick.

Finally, late game with relevant checks removed you can always try for that tantalising Superpower mini-sweep coming in on a weakened pokemon and getting a Moxie style boost off it. I do realise that a different revenge killer specific to your team would be better than Malamar in most cases, but I think this set has a nice balance of utility and the capability to remove a check to your team quite effectively. This set is walled hard by fairies if the Destiny Bond route isn't what you want to use to take a Fairy out, it's also weak to faster scarfers which their are a lot of. I also think the set will be pretty fun, but I've not tested it yet I need to come up with a new team.

EDIT: Just realised that Lninol had a similar set on page 5, but going with Infiltrator and Swagger instead of Contrary and Superpower.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I've run Malamar quite a bit and had a great time and plenty of success with it. The set I've been running is one that I saw I think earlier in this thread (or somewhere).

Malamar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Careful Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Rock Slide
-Psycho Cut

This thing is incredibly bulky and the two weaknesses he has a fairly easy to see coming. With Sticky Web support (which I run), he can get a lot of surprise kills. His bulk catches plenty of people off guard. If your opponent has their own Sticky Web out (or bounced yours, Malamar still gets the benefit. He's great at killing a lot of those pesky ghost types, like Aegislash and Gengar. His biggest weakness is probably status, which can really cripple this guy.

As many others have said in this thread, Malamar is absolutely crippled by statuses (Burns have forced me to rage-quit several times). When it comes to support for my Malamar, I use an Aromatisse with Misty terrain to Keep Malamar healthy. Trick Room and dual screens are are possible too, since Aromatisse can't be taunted with her HA, and they go nicely with his slow speed and surprisingly huge bulk, respectively.

I've run Malamar quite a bit and had a great time and plenty of success with it. The set I've been running is one that I saw I think earlier in this thread (or somewhere).

Malamar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Careful Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Rock Slide
-Psycho Cut
I think that a stronger focus for Malamar is to boost defense while attacking with Superpower, and I really feel you need a Speed investment with the Assault Vest set. My Malamar is:

Malamar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 40 HP / 212 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Flamethrower/Rock Slide/Pluck
-Psycho Cut

EVs allow the following without any Superpower boosts:

212 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

and with 252 Jolly speed you can outspeed threats like bulky Rotom-W while having a 98% chance at 2HKOing with Superpower. Even if it's an offensive Modest Rotom-W, uninvested SpD is enough to take a neutral hit.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Malamar: 144-171 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO

On another note, I really wish Malamar had access to Flame Charge. It'd be an easy option for me to boost speed while putting the hurt on the various grass and bug types that otherwise resist his attacks. I use Flamethrower right now but could easily switch to Rock Slide if need be. Pluck is there only to wall Harvest Trevenant, and it can eat the Sitrus/Lum etc. berry.

Last edited:
I think that a stronger focus for Malamar is to boost defense while attacking with Superpower, and I really feel you need a Speed investment with the Assault Vest set. My Malamar is:

Malamar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 40 HP / 212 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Superpower
-Night Slash
-Flamethrower/Rock Slide/Pluck
-Psycho Cut

EVs allow the following without any Superpower boosts:

212 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 268-316 (95.3 - 112.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

and with 252 Jolly speed you can outspeed threats like bulky Rotom-W while having a 98% chance at 2HKOing with Superpower. Even if it's an offensive Modest Rotom-W, uninvested SpD is enough to take a neutral hit.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Malamar: 144-171 (44.5 - 52.9%) -- 24.2% chance to 2HKO

On another note, I really wish Malamar had access to Flame Charge. It'd be an easy option for me to boost speed while putting the hurt on the various grass and bug types that otherwise resist his attacks. I use Flamethrower right now but could easily switch to Rock Slide if need be. Pluck is there only to wall Harvest Trevenant, and it can eat the Sitrus/Lum etc. berry.
If Malamar could learn Flame Charge, he would never use it because it would lower his Speed thanks to Contrary. The move you would want is Hammer Arm.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I think that a stronger focus for Malamar is to boost defense while attacking with Superpower, and I really feel you need a Speed investment with the Assault Vest set.
For your team, the speed investment may be necessary, but mine has sticky web support which makes a speed investment not as crucial. The boost to regular defense (in EV's as well as SP) and the full investment in HP make this guy a bit of a head ache for anyone not running WoW or a bug or fairy move. I've used him largely as a late game sweeper. He generally can't wipe out a team, but if he takes out two or three of the opponent's team before he dies, he's done his work.

So I was having a think about the set I previously posted up, and I thought about making it even trollier:

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 Def
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SDef
- Foul Play
- Destiny Bond
- Topsy-Turvy
- Switcheroo

Infiltrator here is great, no one would ever expect a Malamar to run Infiltrator and so with it you can easily take a subbed mon by surprise - such as a stalling Gliscor or Trevenant. Topsy Turvy is there for when reversing stat boosts is a safer bet than trying for Destiny Bond, plus it buys you a free turn; for example if we look at Belly Drum Azumarill there's no chance for it to kill you at +6 with Aqua Jet, and it certainly can't kill you at -6 with Play Rough:

+6 252+ Atk Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Malamar: 136-162 (43.3 - 51.5%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO
-6 252+ Atk Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Malamar: 38-48 (12.1 - 15.2%) -- possible 7HKO

Though that's a niche example, looking at something like a +2 Dragonite you could reverse the changes and then use it as a set up opportunity for something else (hopefully retaining your Malamar for future shenanigans later in the battle):

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Malamar: 252-297 (80.2 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

For things where the OHKO is certain (most passable special attackers as special bulk has been minimised, some physical sweepers - particularly U-Turners) you have the option of Destiny Bond to take out one of their MVPs, in this way you can also use Malamar as a physical counter where priority doesn't come into play and the opponent can only 2HKO.

Foul Play is in the last slot for those times where you've weakened a physical sweeper and Malamar can easily outspeed to pick it off. The Speed allows to to outrun any non scarfer below 135, which is quite a lot of pokemon when you think about it. This set should offer great utility, just be careful when you off load your scarf as it makes Malamar next to useless.

Those Azumarill calcs are wrong, I suspect you left out huge power somehow. +6 aqua jet will deal ~85-90% to a max HP/max def Malamar.

So i've been trying to make some sort of disruptor Malamar, and this is what i've come up with so far:

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Switcheroo
- Topsy-turvy
- Swagger

Thoughts/tips?
I loved your idea and ran with it, since most are expecting a sweeper set when they see the preview. It's tricky, but it's paid off off extremely well when my predictions are good.

Malamar @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Protect | Topsy-Turvy | ???

It's fantastic for throwing a scarf at Blisseys, Sylveons, most entry hazard setters, or any other utility/support pokemon if you can play switches well.

It's also surprisingly good at messing with all manner of Sub-users; sub-pranksters hate scarf lock and confusion messing with their setups. Sub-boosting DD'ers (that have sky-high attack to begin with) will melt after a DD/Swagger boosted Foul Play, plus whatever they do with their own confusion if they're stubborn about switching out of their boosts/sub.

And finally, even with no ATK investment, Foul Play really can hit hard against swaggered targets. Not Contrary Superpower hard, but hard enough against most of the special/prankster targets you want to disrupt.

The fourth slot is kind of the hard part for me; I run an Unaware-Stockpile Quagsire that helps mitigate a lot of enemy boosts, and having a pocket Topsy Turvy kind of seals the deal against most boosting sweepers, but it's come up less times than I'd like. Protect is really nice when you can steal Leftovers or get roared in, but I intend to play with Hypnosis this week for more disruption against Subs and punishing the switch out after the scarf trade or you get a Swagger off. 60% accuracy and sleep clause sucks, but it's what's there without PAR.

Those Azumarill calcs are wrong, I suspect you left out huge power somehow. +6 aqua jet will deal ~85-90% to a max HP/max def Malamar.
So they are, which is weird as I didn't doctor what I copied and pasted in in anyway. Still, you're quite unlikely to get OHKO'd if there's no hazards in play.

One way i can think of using malamar in doubles would be pairing with something that uses a double edged move, like victini, terrakion, or even hydreigon

Use the stat cutting move on the foe, laugh as your pokemon boost its stats instead as malamar tt-es it

+2 draco, anyone?

So now that bank came out (for a day) has anyone got there hands on a lanturn with sucker punch to see if malamar can get it as a breed move?

I dont think Malamar is very good.. but he seems like he has a home in trick room teams. In particular he seems like a good pokemon to set up :

Malamar @ Lum Berry or Focus Sash | Contrary
Brave | 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Taunt
-Trick Room
-Superpower
-Destiny Bond

The idea is pretty obvious, get trick room up while preventing hazards from being put up. Destiny Bond + a fast taunt after trick room will be enough to take out their lead (hopefully before they managed to get up any hazards), and Malamar is also able to use his own trick room in conjunction with superpower in the usual way. Its not an amazing set but i don't think any other trick room users can use destiny bond and taunt.

Malamar isnt the best thing from Gen VI (and most are not) but I've been using the following set (which I'm sure is somewhere on this discussion) on showdown and its been working out great.

Contrary w/Leftovers
Adamant 252hp 252atk 4def
-TrickRoom
-Superpower
-NightSlash
-PsychoCut

It is a simple set but works like a charm when you switch Malamar in on a resistance or immunity. After TrickRoom and your first Superpower its hard for your opponent to regain momentum if they dont have a Bug or Fairy type/move to hurt you with. By +2 atk most things get OHKO'd by your STAB moves.

Its weird that because of the power creep from last gen, a lot of pokes from 6th gen are just underrated because they seem underpowered compared to 5th gen. Maybe the last gen has made battlers more lazier in general because there isn't as much super powerful stuff that have obvious sets to use. The power creep got toned down for this gen so in a way you have to get creative in how you make these 6th gen mons function well.

Malamar isnt the best thing from Gen VI (and most are not) but I've been using the following set (which I'm sure is somewhere on this discussion) on showdown and its been working out great.

Contrary w/Leftovers
Adamant 252hp 252atk 4def
-TrickRoom
-Superpower
-NightSlash
-PsychoCut

It is a simple set but works like a charm when you switch Malamar in on a resistance or immunity. After TrickRoom and your first Superpower its hard for your opponent to regain momentum if they dont have a Bug or Fairy type/move to hurt you with. By +2 atk most things get OHKO'd by your STAB moves.
Tested it and well done to you sir. It works like a charm. Oh yeah I would advise running brave nature because it also maxes out your attack but it lowers your speed so you can take more advantage of trick room.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)