Making it Rain (OU Drizzle Team)

I resumed playing Pokemon a few months ago... back then I just did Random Battles on Pokemonshowdown but now I thought, "why don't I make a team?" Politoed was one of the Pokemon that I always liked, and once I saw that he was OU I didn't think twice and made a team with him in it. Which ended up being a rain team.

(this is my first post and thread! YAY)

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Encore
- Perish Song
- Ice Beam

Politoed is the crux of every rain team; without it, there would be no Drizzle to take advantage here. Apart from that, Politoed is my answer to Baton Pass teams, with Perish Song to make them switch out/risk it then fall apart when I switch in to something that can resist the attack of a threat to Politoed (Gastrodon for Electrics/Forretress for Grass). It also carries Encore for utility against Skarmory leads and against other stallers.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

I often either lead with Forretress when an Espeon is in a team. People often switch into Espeon, thinking that I'll set up Stealth Rock only to cut their HP down with a Gyro Ball. Aside from that, Forretress is the typical spinner, setting up Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock.

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Serious Nature
- Superpower
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Rain Dance

Ah, the sweeper of the team. I often find myself winning numerous battles because of this guy. Superpower is for Steel types, Grass Knot for Gastrodon and other Ground/Rock types, and Hurricane for STAB + confusion chance. Rain Dance also exists so that the pressure isn't just on Politoed to set up rain, plus Prankster gives it higher priority!

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Relaxed Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

With two immunities, Gastrodon is my annoying wall. Gastrodon absorbs all Water-type attacks to up its SpAtk, then proceeds to ruin them with Earth Power. Toxic is for utility/outwalling other walls, while Recover is there as a means of recovering HP and to keep up its annoying streak.

Jirachi (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

The other moneymaker of the team. Jirachi often switches in to an attack that it resists (there are 8 of them, so it's not really hard), then proceeds to get a Substitute in. And then it inflicts Paralysis with Thunder (60% is amazing), then CMs all the way to a point where it can kill off absolutely anything.

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch

The late-game sweeper. I never bring out Azumarill for anything, because he a fragile ho. Although he has decent HP and okay defenses, it's never really worth it to bring Azumarill in during mid-game because he is choice-locked. But in the late-game, where everyone has taken quite a few hits, bringing Azumarill in would bring murder. His Choiced Aqua Jet + Rain + STAB equals death to most things, and Ice Punch and Superpower exist to destroy everything else.

There we go! I know I have quite a problem with Dragons and some others that I haven't really taken note of (I'm more of a casual player really), but it would help if you critique it and give me suggestions! Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since you aren't using Tailwind on Tornadus, you might want to use Dragonite instead:
Code:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SAtk / 148 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
Instead of Azumarill, you can use Sharpedo:
Code:
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Will make a full rate tomorrow.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Since you aren't using Tailwind on Tornadus, you might want to use Dragonite instead:
Code:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
Code:
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect
"Since you aren't using Tailwind on Tornadus, you might want to use Dragonite instead."
Tailwind on Tornadus? Tornadus is a fine sweeper, no reason to run Tailwind on him since the only other sweeper has priority. Higher Speed and SpA (since that's what we're going for), and Prankster to help Politoed (nice idea). True, Dragonite is the only poke that can spam Thunder/Hurricane and it's a bit bulkier, but remember, Tornadus is one of the sweepers. As for Sharpedo, eh, could go either way. Priority kills it, but at least it isn't choiced.

Anyway, 8/10. It's a bit stally for my taste, but hey, it's your team. Right off the bat I can see that it's weak to Grass and Electric, and Thundurus-T would blast through this team once Gastro's out of the way. Truthfully, another Thundurus-T would counter that with HP-Ice, since most Thundys are scarfed.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You could replace Tornadus with that, and that would eliminate a Electric weakness. Rain Dance could replace Earth Power on Gastro maybe?
All in all, a pretty good team.

Oh, and make sure you elaborate on your Pokemon a bit more. Like, "Oh, Focus Blast helps a lot with Ferrothorn" etc.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Code:
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
Code:
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Oooh, Sharpedo! I completely forgot about the guy lol I'll try him out! He has better Attack than Azumarill so I guess that's a good start (idk if it's still true with the Huge Power boost though). As for Dragonite, idk I see Tornadus working out more for me as a special sweeper with his higher Speed and SpA but also as occasional utility with the Rain Dance. I wanted to fit U-Turn there somewhere but no dice. Tornadus is more of an all-arounder for me, but the Dragon Tail on Dragonite is nice! I could try using that. Thanks!

"Since you aren't using Tailwind on Tornadus, you might want to use Dragonite instead."
Tailwind on Tornadus? Tornadus is a fine sweeper, no reason to run Tailwind on him since the only other sweeper has priority. Higher Speed and SpA (since that's what we're going for), and Prankster to help Politoed (nice idea). True, Dragonite is the only poke that can spam Thunder/Hurricane and it's a bit bulkier, but remember, Tornadus is one of the sweepers. As for Sharpedo, eh, could go either way. Priority kills it, but at least it isn't choiced.

Anyway, 8/10. It's a bit stally for my taste, but hey, it's your team. Right off the bat I can see that it's weak to Grass and Electric, and Thundurus-T would blast through this team once Gastro's out of the way. Truthfully, another Thundurus-T would counter that with HP-Ice, since most Thundys are scarfed.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You could replace Tornadus with that, and that would eliminate a Electric weakness. Rain Dance could replace Earth Power on Gastro maybe?
All in all, a pretty good team.

Oh, and make sure you elaborate on your Pokemon a bit more. Like, "Oh, Focus Blast helps a lot with Ferrothorn" etc.

Yeah, my playstyle does tend to be a bit more stally (the other team I have is more stally than this and that was my first... so I may have based it from that a bit).

Anyway, thanks for the Thundurus suggestion! I'll take him around for a spin and see how it works out! Though I do see he has better coverage, what with HP Ice and all + the immunity to Electric. I'll definitely try him out!

I mainly use Earth Power on Gastrodon as surprise factor and to act as a check for Steels, but I also need another weather setter! I'll see how it goes. :)

Thanks for the rating! And yeahhh, I'll work on the elaborating part more. I've played for a while but I don't really take note of the little things and the threats etc., so I guess I'll work on that.

fleurdyleurse

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the help, guys!

Oooh, Sharpedo! I completely forgot about the guy lol I'll try him out! He has better Attack than Azumarill so I guess that's a good start (idk if it's still true with the Huge Power boost though). As for Dragonite, idk I see Tornadus working out more for me as a special sweeper with his higher Speed and SpA but also as occasional utility with the Rain Dance. I wanted to fit U-Turn there somewhere but no dice. Tornadus is more of an all-arounder for me, but the Dragon Tail on Dragonite is nice! I could try using that. Thanks!

Yeah, my playstyle does tend to be a bit more stally (the other team I have is more stally than this and that was my first... so I may have based it from that a bit).

Anyway, thanks for the Thundurus suggestion! I'll take him around for a spin and see how it works out! Though I do see he has better coverage, what with HP Ice and all + the immunity to Electric. I'll definitely try him out!

I mainly use Earth Power on Gastrodon as surprise factor and to act as a check for Steels, but I also need another weather setter! I'll see how it goes. :)

Thanks for the rating! And yeahhh, I'll work on the elaborating part more. I've played for a while but I don't really take note of the little things and the threats etc., so I guess I'll work on that.
It also is better than Azumarill in the long run and has a useful immunity to Psychic.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
It also is better than Azumarill in the long run and has a useful immunity to Psychic.
Yeah, but no one on the team is weak to Psychic... It's a toss up. IMO Sharpedo = Azumarill. Sharpedo has more diversity of attacks, but Azumarill is bulkier and stronger. Do some testing with both and see who you like better.

fleurdyleurse

Yeah, but no one on the team is weak to Psychic... It's a toss up. IMO Sharpedo = Azumarill. Sharpedo has more diversity of attacks, but Azumarill is bulkier and stronger. Do some testing with both and see who you like better.
Yeah, it's his choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)