Move Magnetic Flux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnetic Flux | 20 PP (Max 32)
The user manipulates magnetic fields which raises the Defense and Sp. Def stats of ally Pokémon with the Plus or Minus Ability.

Notable users: Electrode, Ampharos, Magnezone, Klinklang

Hello all! I'm back again, ready to discuss another relatively underwhelming move that has managed to mainly slip under the radar thus far. Introduced with the latest generation, Magnetic Flux is a new Electric- type move that boosts the defenses of certain Pokemon, specifically those with the Plus or Minus ability. Magnetic Flux was seemingly designed to take advantage of the relatively ignored Plus and Minus abilities. Firstly, let's establish exactly who can benefit from this new trick. Just as a note, all pre-evolutions of Pokemon included also have access to the ability.

Plus:

• Ampharos
  • Plusle
  • Klinklang
  • Dedenne
Minus:

• Manectric
  • Minun
  • Klinklang
Right off the bat, the usefulness of Magnetic Flux is limited to this batch of, unfortunately, rather unused Pokemon. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty much limited to Double and Triple battles, where you're forced to give up a potentially more helpful ability in order to utilize Magnetic Flux in the middle of a fight. Already, it appears as though Magnetic Flux would be hard pressed to attract (hue) any positive attention. However, I feel like there's one user in particular that can really make it shine: Ampharos.

Why Ampharos, and not something sturdier? Well, there's a few reasons. Most prominently is that Ampharos was one of the lucky few to receive a Mega Evolution. In exchange for 3 more weaknesses, Ampharos takes on a new type to gain a bit of bulk, along with several useful resistances and a quadruple resistance to Electric. Aside from this, what really makes this Pokemon stand out as the best candidate is the ridiculous movepool Ampharos has access to. On the offensive side, Electric, Dragon, Fire, Rock, and Bug- type moves are all under its belt - and that's just what it gets from leveling up. As far as supporting goes, Ampharos is proud to have key moves such as Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, Cotton Spore/Cotton Guard, Light Screen, and even Eerie Impulse and Electric Terrain - more new Electric- type moves!

So what does this mean? It means that in the new metagame where games are looking to be a lot slower and a bit more calm, players who like to utilize stall strategies have new options when it comes to building their team. Magnetic Flux allows people who enjoy passive battling to stall with Pokemon who previously couldn't do so before, possibly allowing for new and different strategies. Will this move boost Pokemon to new tiers, or make ripples in the budding metagame? Possibly not, but it may open new doors in multi battles for Pokemon who thrive in lower tiers.

Extremely gimmicky, forces you to carry two Pokemon weak to Ground out in the field at the same time when EQ is the best possible move you can use in doubles or triples.

Besides, your team becomes redundant. Do you really need to carry two Electric types? None of which can Levitate or hit Ground types super effectively with anything other than HP Ice (or maybe Grass Knot)? It's just another pathetic attempt by Gamefreak to make Pikachu clones viable.

Still, I feel like a buzzkill. I'm not trying to discourage you to post this at all, I think it takes a lot of theorizing to come up with that neat post, but the move seems to be extremely situational while putting you at a disadvantage.

Extremely gimmicky, forces you to carry two Pokemon weak to Ground out in the field at the same time when EQ is the best possible move you can use in doubles or triples.

Besides, your team becomes redundant. Do you really need to carry two Electric types? None of which can Levitate or hit Ground types super effectively with anything other than HP Ice (or maybe Grass Knot)? It's just another pathetic attempt by Gamefreak to make Pikachu clones viable.

Still, I feel like a buzzkill. I'm not trying to discourage you to post this at all, I think it takes a lot of theorizing to come up with that neat post, but the move seems to be extremely situational while putting you at a disadvantage.
Oh, goodness, no. You're not being a buzzkill at all, you're simply replying to the discussion which is obviously encouraged. Honestly, I thought about that, but forgot to find a spot for it in the OP when I wrote it up. Yes, I agree; you are 100% Earthquake fodder. Even with Klinklang, everything that benefits from this is weak to Ground, although Magnezone can carry Magnet Rise, which... eh.

I won't disagree with you, utilizing Magnetic Flux means you run a great risk of being wiped out by any decently strong Ground type move. In fact, the entire set up gets walled by any relatively bulky or strong Ground- type. The strategy certainly isn't without its flaws, I just wanted to bring it up to spark conversation and bring it to light.

I have basically zero doubles experience, though.

Who would you say are the best abusers? Magnezone, Klinklang, Ampharos and Manectric.

Magnezone likes the boost, though it is deathly afraid of Ground moves. If it carries a balloon it misses both offensive and defensive presence. Besides, isn't its main niche to trap steels with Magnet Pull?

Klingklang is deffinitely a physical attacker. You don't get Shift Gear and Clear Body and not use them!

Manectric and Ampharos both carry the same problems. First, Static is always useful, even when paired without a Pokemon with Plus or Minus. Manectric LOVES Lightninrod. And, the thing that topples this the most, once they Mega Evolve they lose Plus and Minus, meaning that the move has to be used while they are still in normal form and more vulnerable. Besides, the Plus and Minus boost to SpA is lost as well when the ability goes away.

I just see very few Pokemon that can use this and all of them prefer to run something else for more reliability.

I will not talk about the despicable, despicable Pikachu clones. Those can go disappear forever.

I have basically zero doubles experience, though.

Who would you say are the best abusers? Magnezone, Klinklang, Ampharos and Manectric.

Magnezone likes the boost, though it is deathly afraid of Ground moves. If it carries a balloon it misses both offensive and defensive presence. Besides, isn't its main niche to trap steels with Magnet Pull?

Klingklang is deffinitely a physical attacker. You don't get Shift Gear and Clear Body and not use them!

Manectric and Ampharos both carry the same problems. First, Static is always useful, even when paired without a Pokemon with Plus or Minus. Manectric LOVES Lightninrod. And, the thing that topples this the most, once they Mega Evolve they lose Plus and Minus, meaning that the move has to be used while they are still in normal form and more vulnerable. Besides, the Plus and Minus boost to SpA is lost as well when the ability goes away.

I just see very few Pokemon that can use this and all of them prefer to run something else for more reliability.

I will not talk about the despicable, despicable Pikachu clones. Those can go disappear forever.
Unfortunately... you're right. =/
Unarguably anybody would be hard pressed to use Magnetic Flux in any competitive setting. In a more lax environment, however, casual players could use it to break up monotony and try something new. Again: this strategy is not extremely potent, or possibly even all that viable. I just hope that, despite its flaws, Magnetic Flux has enough use worthy of discussion.

Unfortunately... you're right. =/
Unarguably anybody would be hard pressed to use Magnetic Flux in any competitive setting. In a more lax environment, however, casual players could use it to break up monotony and try something new. Again: this strategy is not extremely potent, or possibly even all that viable. I just hope that, despite its flaws, Magnetic Flux has enough use worthy of discussion.
I swear, one of these days when I'm not swamped with schoolwork we are going to have a triple battle 6 vs 6 using only Plus and Minus Pokemon.

It will be glorious.

Maybe in a 'What is the most situational/useless Move contest' with moves like Present. :P
Ay. There's nothing wrong with situational! Well, maybe that's not true.
Regardless, with the new metagame forming, there's certainly no harm in discussing potential strategies even if they are doomed from the start.

"Forces the target to solve
. If it doesn't know Calculus, it wastes its turn". Now it's much better :P

Even for doubles, Plus and Minus have always been very situational abilities, and a move that is based around them is even more situational...

I think it should be mentioned that Plusle, Minun and Dedenne all get Entrainment, so they can spread the ability in doubles, though only Dedenne likely succeed due to its speed, and because it has no better option to spam(Minun can decide between Volt Absorb or Minus because it has some minimal bulk to use, and Plusle is better off with Lightningrod as it is pretty much Plus/Minus on steroids).

Also, is this an area effect of sorts or does it just increase the stats by +1 stage each, and if it is an area effect, does it disappear?

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Manectric also has a Mega-evo, if you're not keen on using the slower-but-better-looking Mega Ampharos. With 70/80/80 defenses, MegaMan is kinda frail. Not enough to immediately die upon touching Spikes, but it's a hindrance in an environment with much faster, much bulkier, and much more dangerous choices. 75/135/135 makes for some superb offensive stats, and Flamethrower / Volt Switch / Signal Beam are some of the better (only) options it has to take advantage of them.

I don't understand how this is specifically limited to Double/Triple battles. As far as I can tell, this is essentially Cosmic Power for Pokémon with the right ability. I could see that being at least somewhat interesting on Ampharos and Klinklang/Eviolite Klang. Static isn't really doing Ampharos any big favors, and Clear Body could reasonably be left behind in exchange for those boosts.

In Doubles and Triples, Plus/Minus might make some mildly interesting gimmicks with what could be bolstered by some combination of Magnet Rise, Air Balloon, and good, old-fashioned power. I don't really see it being anything close to reliable outside of Singles, though.

Does Magnetic Flux raise the Def/Sp. Def of the user if the user has Plus/Minus?

Also, this move could be semi-viable with an Ampharos/Mesprit combo in Doubles. Mesprit uses Skill Swap on a Plus Ampharos who then uses Magnetic Flux. Now you've got an Electric cannon with no weaknesses (due to Levitate) and a bulkier Mesprit.

Last edited:
I don't understand how this is specifically limited to Double/Triple battles. As far as I can tell, this is essentially Cosmic Power for Pokémon with the right ability. I could see that being at least somewhat interesting on Ampharos and Klinklang/Eviolite Klang. Static isn't really doing Ampharos any big favors, and Clear Body could reasonably be left behind in exchange for those boosts.

In Doubles and Triples, Plus/Minus might make some mildly interesting gimmicks with what could be bolstered by some combination of Magnet Rise, Air Balloon, and good, old-fashioned power. I don't really see it being anything close to reliable outside of Singles, though.
I never said it was limited to Doubles/Triples. I just said you'll probably get more benefit out of it with a partner or two. Although, you do bring up good points.

Does Magnetic Flux raise the Def/Sp. Def of the user if the user has Plus/Minus?

Also, this move could be semi-viable with an Ampharos/Mesprit combo in Doubles. Mesprit uses Skill Swap on a Plus Ampharos who then uses Magnetic Flux. Now you've got an Electric cannon with no weaknesses (due to Levitate) and a bulkier Mesprit.
Yes, the user also gains the boost.

I never said it was limited to Doubles/Triples. I just said you'll probably get more benefit out of it with a partner or two.
Right off the bat, the usefulness of Magnetic Flux is limited to this batch of, unfortunately, rather unused Pokemon. Not to mention the fact that it's pretty much limited to Double and Triple battles, where you're forced to give up a potentially more helpful ability in order to utilize Magnetic Flux in the middle of a fight.
That said, did Klinklang get anything interesting this generation to make this worth pursuing with him? Losing a Dark and Ghost resistance and getting a Fairy resistance probably seems like a bit of a nerf overall, and it's not like he was hot stuff to begin with.

Oh man... RestTalk Ampharos Wall incoming!

Ampharos @ Leftovers
Plus
Calm | 252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
-Toxic
-Magnetic Flux
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

The premiere wall of NU-

Nevermind, this is stupid. Lol.
Was there a point to this? Refrain from these kinds of posts, please.

That said, did Klinklang get anything interesting this generation to make this worth pursuing with him? Losing a Dark and Ghost resistance and getting a Fairy resistance probably seems like a bit of a nerf overall, and it's not like he was hot stuff to begin with.
I specifically said "pretty much," but it really doesn't matter. I don't know if it did, to be honest. Getting outclassed by Eviolite Doublade/Aegislash? That's about it.

I don't understand how some of these moves make it through development. If it's going to be incredibly specific and strange you should at least reward the player instead of making it only a decent move to begin with. I'd expect this to give +2/+2 with how ridiculous it is to use and its limited distribution.

It may not be a move considerable in competitive matches but i like it as a gimmick.
Unfortunately it can't be bred to either Plusle or Minun, which i like to use casually.

Last edited:
How many turns does this last? I can see a possible doubles gimmick coming. I'll explain when I get an answer
I never used it in battle but the moves description doesn't say anything about a certain amount of turns.
I assume it just raises the stats like any other stat raising move and does not work like weather or lightscreen/reflect/safeguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)