SM OU Mage+Gyra Balance SM

INTRODUCTION
Hello Everyone My name is ILIEKBIGMACS And I go by that in showdown. My team is based around Mega Gyrados and Av Magearna, I have done some games with this team and it's not so bad, I've been winning my games but it seems like the rankings won't work so I'm still low ladder heh anyways enough rambling and onto the team.

THE PLAYERS

gyarados-mega.gif

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
I Chose Gyrados because it's a really great mom with Dragon Dance And it's Arab waterfall plus Crunch. I Chose Earthquake Over Outrage is because it kills steels And it can counter mags with a Dragon Dance boost. Waterfall is an amazing Arab move and it can put a dent into Lando T and heatran Also messing up rain teams. Crunch is here also because of Arab and destroying mega zam without focus blast and energy ball with its Monstorus attack power I have it Adamant Because of it cant set up it will need enough attack power to lil the mom and break through stall.

Magearna.gif

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I Chose Magerna to partner with my mega grasps is because it covers its fighting weakness and fairy Weakness. being able to fleur Cannon the dark fighting Dragon Types is amazing leaving a spot so gyrados can sweep. Having Flash cannon over iron head is a great descision in my Opinion Cause it's taking advantage of that special attack stat instead of that horrendous Physical attack. flash cannon covers the other fairys like it's nothing And Rock types completely dominates Ttar and chomp including sometimes lando that is offensive. I have volt switch on the set for Water mons and skarm, using volt switch also helps us on the side of switching if it's really dangerous. And last but not least we have hp Fire I believe hp fire is good if volc dies and needs to counter tangrowth and other mags in I have we on gyrados but it could be been walled if it's av LIke me.

volcarona.gif

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
So, Volcarona Helps this core alot As you can see it covers Ferrothorn and other grass types. Giga drain is for Water mons that are slower than it which means that mega swamp isn't a threat to this team and never will be since I have my gyra and volc Giga drain is a great move over all getting kills on Gren that isn't scarf. Big buzz Slaps every psychic Dark Grass etc It can ohko Mega zam after a quiver dace which makes this mon really good against the OU Meta. Z Fiery dance Is amazing cause it ohkos celesteela after leftovers

a5345858da4f8c46e8c5d6d94829dba64c136fa8_hq.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 80 Def / 44 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Defog
Now my Lando 's Evs are spread out like this is because it's m stealth rock setter and I wanna have a defensive lando with attack power. Earthquake is here for that stab Killing poision types rock types Electric types and steel types. Stone Edge is here for Flying types like zapdos Ice types and Mons that eat Earthquake. And we have defog So Volcarona Doesn't take rock damage and lose half it's hp lmao and other mons don't get chipped by spikes

mew.gif

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Synthesis
Mew is my Stall pokemon just if we run into something like a chansey or clefable. We have toxic for other stall mons that are really bulky and thanks to synchronize T W on any not electric mon gets paralyzed I as debating between Lum Berry or Leftovers but I chose leftovers just in case we run into a toxapex or Zapdos T wave and toxic. Psychic is for the coverage of Fighting And Poision Slapping mega lopunny where it belongs.
Next we have focus blast and focus blast beats weavile heatran Mega lop again Blissey Steel types that aren't fairy etc it really great for mew to have this type of coverage in the OU Metagame.
Lastly Synthesis for healing when new is really low out stalling other mons like chansey.

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 152 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Last and not least we have stall boi Ferrothorn my Ferro run t wave just for moms that out speed most of my team. We have spikes for hazard control Specificaly doing chip damage to the opponents mon. fairys dont have a chance against big papa Ferro getting slapped by gyro ball and Ferro is amazing cause it forces so many switch in it's countless I don't use leech seed because I want to keep the attacks going and t wave is my preferred option

THE CONCLUSION

My team Is really good and I believe it has great potential It Covers the OU meta game by lots with its defense side and attack side I believe still it needs to be better so leave some suggestions on what I should change Good you have a great day peace

I like this team and after like 2 matches lmao I see this team gets destroyed by mega-medicham, to which I say change Ferrothorn to Tapu-Fini or Bulu. Bulu might be better as it lets you get that passive recovery which gyarados and mag desperately like (I wrote this in 5 mins so there might be a good answer besides those two Pokemon I mentioned). Anyways, Ill do some more testing and compare against some of my better teams to find weaknesses. Cheers!

Any reason you have Synthesis on Mew instead of the far more reliable Softboiled? Also, I'm troubled by your saying that you "Chose Earthquake Over Outrage" as if Outrage was ever actually considered on Mega Gyarados.

I like this team and after like 2 matches lmao I see this team gets destroyed by mega-medicham, to which I say change Ferrothorn to Tapu-Fini or Bulu. Bulu might be better as it lets you get that passive recovery which gyarados and mag desperately like (I wrote this in 5 mins so there might be a good answer besides those two Pokemon I mentioned). Anyways, Ill do some more testing and compare against some of my better teams to find weaknesses. Cheers!
Do honestly believe you are.correct and I should get rid of Ferro Mega meek is a problem considering I have no ghosts
thanks for the suggestion

Any reason you have Synthesis on Mew instead of the far more reliable Softboiled? Also, I'm troubled by your saying that you "Chose Earthquake Over Outrage" as if Outrage was ever actually considered on Mega Gyarados.
[/QUOTE
I see where you are.coming fro m and thanks I believe I should have Soft boiled instead of synthesis. I have said I Chose Earthquake Over Outrage because I've seen people use outrage on gyra and I thought a lot of people run it but I prefer eq thank you for the tip!

abriel

I’m with you.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
One thing you can do is use protect on Ferro to take 50% from Medicham when it goes for HJK. There’s also no reason to run t wave and gyro ball on one set, since you’re just reducing your own damage. Since Ferrothorn has no recovery other than leftovers, I’d recommend leech seed so it can survive longer.

I don’t really see the point of Mew on this team. It can’t break stall and can’t dish out enough damage. If you still have trouble with Medicham, you can switch Mew to a better Medicham counter. Fini may be best since it can also provide double Defog support for Volcarona.

One thing you can do is use protect on Ferro to take 50% from Medicham when it goes for HJK. There’s also no reason to run t wave and gyro ball on one set, since you’re just reducing your own damage. Since Ferrothorn has no recovery other than leftovers, I’d recommend leech seed so it can survive longer.

I don’t really see the point of Mew on this team. It can’t break stall and can’t dish out enough damage. If you still have trouble with Medicham, you can switch Mew to a better Medicham counter. Fini may be best since it can also provide double Defog support for Volcarona.
Thanks for the tips I already switched Ferro for Bulu but I'll see what I'll replace Mew with cause I don't wanna have two tapus anyways thanks!

Thanks for the tips I already switched Ferro for Bulu but I'll see what I'll replace Mew with cause I don't wanna have two tapus anyways thanks!
There is nothing wrong whatsoever with having two tapus. In fact, it makes your team less predictable.

Edit: Also take the special attack evs and use this magearna set since bulu gets superpower:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Works wonders, and yes I know iron head is there, and its better than flash cannon bc it has a 30% chance of flinch, which could come in handy.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with having two tapus. In fact, it makes your team less predictable.

Edit: Also take the special attack evs and use this magearna set since bulu gets superpower:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Works wonders, and yes I know iron head is there, and its better than flash cannon bc it has a 30% chance of flinch, which could come in handy.
Defensive Magearna is pretty slow, so the 30% flinch definitely isn't the reason it runs Iron Head. I'm fairly certain it's to better handle Alakazam and especially Tapu Lele. These Pokemon have poor physical bulk, good special bulk, and sometimes run Calm Mind to further boost their special bulk.

Defensive Magearna is pretty slow, so the 30% flinch definitely isn't the reason it runs Iron Head. I'm fairly certain it's to better handle Alakazam and especially Tapu Lele. These Pokemon have poor physical bulk, good special bulk, and sometimes run Calm Mind to further boost their special bulk.
Ah I always thought it was for the flinch but no matter. The more you know.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
Think that is to hit other av magearna.

Well going to the rmt, i will personally change that mew to a reuniclus, as it can handle Mega Loppuny and Mega Medichamp. Use the Calm Mind set to have a great wincon too. Other change I would do is use Bugium Z over Firium Z in Volcarona, as it can make a great damage in Calm Mind users such as Reuniclus and Mega Latias

Think that is to hit other av magearna.

Well going to the rmt, i will personally change that mew to a reuniclus, as it can handle Mega Loppuny and Mega Medichamp. Use the Calm Mind set to have a great wincon too. Other change I would do is use Bugium Z over Firium Z in Volcarona, as it can make a great damage in Calm Mind users such as Reuniclus and Mega Latias
I disagree with reuniclus. That thing is hot garbage. Slowbro would be 10 times better bc you get more resistances in the case of countering megalop, mcham, and zardx which could be big threats to this team.

DYA

not a weeb
is a Community Contributor
I disagree with reuniclus. That thing is hot garbage. Slowbro would be 10 times better bc you get more resistances in the case of countering megalop, mcham, and zardx which could be big threats to this team.
With two intimidate user if you havent mega evolved mega gyarados mega zard is not a big problem. Reuniclus check lopunny and medichamp very well, and there's even the posibility of medichamp thunder punch. Slowbro is a good mon and can fit veru well with the team, but i still saying that reuniclus is better

Last edited:
With two intimidate user if you havent mega evolved mega gyarados mega zard is not a big problem. Reuniclus check lopunny and medichamp very well, and there's even the posibility of medichamp thunder punch. Slowbro is a good mon and can fit veru well with the team, but i still saying that reuniclus is better
There is no situation where reun is better, all of slowbro's sets are more viable, if not better.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
There is no situation where reun is better, all of slowbro's sets are more viable, if not better.
Reniculus is a better Calm Mind user than Slowbro, which is a defensive pivot. Reniculus would deal far more damage than Slowbro.

0 SpA Reuniclus Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny: 214-254 (78.9 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lopunny: 90-106 (33.2 - 39.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 118-141 (45.2 - 54%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 99-117 (37.9 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Edit: oh wait just realized that it is supposed to be a wall. Slowbro better then.

Last edited:
I sampled this team last night but added a twist I switched mew for Defog fini w smogen evs and SCARFED Bulu puts in so much work w max speed+scarf puts him at 409 speed able to outspeed ash gren, mega lopunny, zard y, volcarona, tornadus, mega medicham and most of the OU meta I was so impressed with how versatile scarf bulu could be

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)