Looking for an interesting few songs for a Halo 3 Montage

I'm looking for really unique, intense, and interesting songs for a potential Halo Montage, anyone else have any suggestions? This is a song I really liked in a halo montage for a kinda idea (although it doesn't have to be exactly like this) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgOrJUvvWl4

I'd really like the song to have very good buildups, some interesting percussion parts that can be used for synching, as well as a very solid general beat to regularly synch to. Also if it has a sort of change of tempo, or change in dynamics to a slower part in one part that would be cool.

Basically, throw any songs out there that aren't just generic rock songs, not that they can't BE rock, just not Linkin Park, Incubus, Slipknot, System of a Down etc... because those songs are really overused.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I looked at the comments section and:
If this were longer, it'd probably be one of the best of all time.
People like that make the video editor in me cry.

I hate most music montages use so i always listen to Heinrich Maneuver by Interpol it works really well. Just youtube it.

Well, I rarely listen to stuff like what the OP gave as an example. But I have a couple of ideas, that if not good, are at least unusual.

If you want to go for something fairly slow-paced, Mor Ve Otsei's Bir Derdim Var might work well. And it will certainly avoid the being overdone problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5mWfMlhU0

For a 'wildcard' that I think could work really well, A Perfect Circle's version of Imagine. I admit I don't know too much about Halo 3, but perhaps this montage of real-world scenes will give some inspiration for you to create something dark and dystopian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdybbBXDlOc

I looked at the comments section and:
People like that make the video editor in me cry.
That was actually me XD. I was comparing it to other H3 Montages, I don't know if thats a sad cry, or a happy cry tho.

It would have been better for me had it been a bit longer.

You could try trailer music from X-Ray Dog, Immediate Music... stuff like that. Here's an example of samples of trailer music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSRKsf0CQo
Don't worry, there are tracks without chorus too, just that video seems to have a lot of choral tracks.

But whatever you do, DO NOT use Blow Me Away. o.o
You have an Idea of what I like. for sure. Trailer music is along the correct vein for this as long as its a length I need because frankly it was used in a similar fashion for a movie trailer.
And don't worry, I'd never use that song, or let the bodies hit the floor, for that exact reason.

Well, I rarely listen to stuff like what the OP gave as an example. But I have a couple of ideas, that if not good, are at least unusual.

If you want to go for something fairly slow-paced, Mor Ve Otsei's Bir Derdim Var might work well. And it will certainly avoid the being overdone problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5mWfMlhU0

For a 'wildcard' that I think could work really well, A Perfect Circle's version of Imagine. I admit I don't know too much about Halo 3, but perhaps this montage of real-world scenes will give some inspiration for you to create something dark and dystopian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdybbBXDlOc
That first song is very very good actually. The percussion is very cool as well as the parts where the vocals lay out. I might actually use that song.
The second one is solid too, I just don't know if it has enough variance to work for me.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was actually me XD. I was comparing it to other H3 Montages, I don't know if thats a sad cry, or a happy cry tho.

It would have been better for me had it been a bit longer.
Sad cry. Pacing is incredibly important and including minutes upon minutes of footage is boring. This is especially the case when a lot of them are very similar. Seeing a jumping headshot is cool. Seeing 20 jumping headshots is not. Although spreading them out to happen during specific notes that repeat during the song could be interesting. The clip you linked to is one of the few Halo montages I think I've finished and it's due to length and variety.

I think another part of what worked is that the song isn't lyrical. Maybe look at some songs on OCRemix? Remember to follow their Terms of Use which is fairly nice (give credit in the way they want).

Sad cry. Pacing is incredibly important and including minutes upon minutes of footage is boring. This is especially the case when a lot of them are very similar. Seeing a jumping headshot is cool. Seeing 20 jumping headshots is not. Although spreading them out to happen during specific notes that repeat during the song could be interesting. The clip you linked to is one of the few Halo montages I think I've finished and it's due to length and variety.

I think another part of what worked is that the song isn't lyrical. Maybe look at some songs on OCRemix? Remember to follow their Terms of Use which is fairly nice (give credit in the way they want).
I understand what you mean about pacing and such. On the other hand, the quality of the editing was so good and unique in that particular montage I just want more of it. Plus I never get tired of seeing game play, but that's just me.

I don't know if this is really cheesy or not, but I was actually thinking of using the song "Lock it up" which appears in a Gatorade commercial as the intro song. I'd obviously cut the end bit off that specifically talks about gatorade, but its really cool percussive song, at and the length of it is solid for an intro, and I can trim it where I need it to be shorter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)