looking back on a masterpiece

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
in a wonderful display of revenge bedtime procrastination, I went back and reread all eight pages of Page 5.

here were my takeaways:

1) as I predicted on page four, Page 5 appears to have been a turning point in posting as a whole. high quality effortposts exploded in the days, weeks, and months following the debut of what in hindsight may be the most anticipated posting endeavor in history.

2) beautiful threads can emerge even if not every poster understands or believes in the premise or dream of the poster. there were many posters who, in the lead up to Page 5, let their anxieties and doubts get the better of them. could there really be such a project? could the rumors, releases, and hype be true? and they questioned, and hemmed, and hawwed, but their doubts and worries moved the thread closer to its eventual climax. it was truly beautiful to witness.

3) beautiful threads can be damaged by posters with malintent. the entire Page 5 project was nearly derailed by malicious actors who, in what can only be assumed to have been fits of maddened rage and chaotic impulse, made pathetic attempts to remove the Page 5 debut from the fifth page by deleting their earlier posts. this crisis was averted thanks to the longtime involvement of phoopes in the project, as he made heroic use of his moderation power to recover what would have been a catastrophic loss.

all jokes aside, Page 5 was one of my favorite things I’ve ever seen on any website of any kind, and the exact sense of humor it embodies adds yet another layer of difficulty to explaining my involvement in the world’s largest online competitive Pokémon forum to my real world friends and associates. I give Page 5 five stars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)