Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
God dammit, I was looking forward to testing it out as a wall some time, now I will look stupid doing that.

Anyway, any thoughts on Power-Up Punch? I know it is a pretty weak move (40 base power) but increasing attack with every hit is nothing to pass over. I can see it being used on something like Terrakion for example, who has a little wiggle room in its moveset, and can use it on weakened Pokemon to kill them off + boost attack.
The only mon I would seriously use Powerup punch on is Mega Kangaskhan. Parental bond + Powerup Punch = taunt proof swords dance

I bet this was already confirmed here, but Vivillon having Quiver Dance makes it quite scary should it have the proper support.

I wish they would've boosted Gunk Shot's Accuracy to 85 instead of 80, every little bit counts. :/ It's definitely great for Muk and friends. Possibly Dragalge if he gets it. Unfortunately for him Gunk Shot doesn't make contcat so maybe he'll wanna use Poison Jab for synergy with Poison Point. Who knows. His stats seem a little mediocre so he'll probably need all the power he can get even with DDance.

I don't understand why Dragalge's best stat is Spec. Def., has anyone else noticed Gamefreak made like 7 Special Tanks this gen? At least it makes sense for Florges and Goodra...

Vivillion is a welcome addition to the Quiver family!

Am I right in seeing that Ghost/Fighting has perfect coverage now?
Actually... yeah. There aren't even any existing dual combinations that resist it (Normal/Ghost is legitimately the only one). Wasn't it this way in previous generations, though?

Does anyone know if the IV system has been rearranged to include Fairy? Hopefully my Hidden Power mons keep their types when I transfer them over.

I wish they would've boosted Gunk Shot's Accuracy to 85 instead of 80, every little bit counts. :/ It's definitely great for Muk and friends. Possibly Dragalge if he gets it. Unfortunately for him Gunk Shot doesn't make contcat so maybe he'll wanna use Poison Jab for synergy with Poison Point. Who knows. His stats seem a little mediocre so he'll probably need all the power he can get even with DDance.

I don't understand why Dragalge's best stat is Spec. Def., has anyone else noticed Gamefreak made like 7 Special Tanks this gen? At least it makes sense for Florges and Goodra...

Vivillion is a welcome addition to the Quiver family!
Actually, I don't think Fairy is a very good special defensive typing. I think Game Freak wants it to be, but look at it's resists: Bug, Fighting, and Dark -- all primarily physical types (okay, I guess you see a Focus Blast and a Dark Pulse here or there, but not often). Florges, and all Fairy-types, by extension, would probably be much happier as Physically defensive Pokemon.

Actually, I don't think Fairy is a very good special defensive typing. I think Game Freak wants it to be, but look at it's resists: Bug, Fighting, and Dark -- all primarily physical types (okay, I guess you see a Focus Blast and a Dark Pulse here or there, but not often). Florges, and all Fairy-types, by extension, would probably be much happier as Physically defensive Pokemon.
That's true, however with Florges, design-wise, it looks like it could have high special defense. So does Goodra. Dragalge looks so flimsy and narrow. It looks like it would specialize in speed and either of the offensive stats with paper thin defensive stats. I'm genuinely not just saying that because it's a competitive cornerstone, it literally looks like that lol.

I'm very worried for Dragalge. It got crappy stats and while we're not sure of its movepool yet it doesn't look like it will have many good fighting, fire, or ground moves. I doubt it will even be able to touch steel types.

Last edited:
That's true, however with Florges, design-wise, it looks like it could have high special defense. So does Goodra. Dragalge looks so flimsy and narrow. It looks like it would specialize in speed and either of the offensive stats with paper thin defensive stats. I'm genuinely not just saying that because it's a competitive cornerstone, it literally looks like that lol.

I'm very worried for Dragalge. It got crappy stats and while we're not sure of its movepool yet it doesn't look like it will have many good fighting, fire, or ground moves. I doubt it will even be able to touch steel types.
Tentacruel used to be in the same boat but look where it is today. A common staple for rain teams. Don't lose faith in dragalge.

Misty terrain turns nature power into Moon Blast
I would assume this would mean grassy terrain becomes energy ball and electric field becomes thunderbolt but this need further testing

also Dragalge's stats aren't crappy it has great bulk where it needs it and enough attack to hurt something. Im not saying its top tier or even mid tier but its not crappy in the least. And pretty much every steel type is afraid of scald (everything should be afraid of scald) and as a more defensive pokemon its sure to run that so i dont think there's any thing to worry about

Last edited:
hawlucha is gonna see some nice play. It has an awesome type combination (Fighting / Flying) learns High Jump Kick, Sky Attack, Hone Claws, roost. It has a nice base speed of 110. I know sky attack isn't the best but I'm gonna see if it learns brave bird.

hawlucha is gonna see some nice play. It has an awesome type combination (Fighting / Flying) learns High Jump Kick, Sky Attack, Hone Claws, roost. It has a nice base speed of 110. I know sky attack isn't the best but I'm gonna see if it learns brave bird.
it learns acrobatics and has unburden

-hone claws/u-turn(i think it learns this)
-high jump kick
-acrobatics
-roost/encore/whatever

terrifying

acrobatics is really subpar since its base attack is good but not great
the main draw is the speed and the coverage, after the flying gem is used you aren't getting outspeed by anything, period and its not like it doesn't have attack boosting moves or high jump kick

brave bird+life orb recoil+the fact that you'll probably need an attack boost to do much anyway= no thank you
moral of the story: This guy was designed for acrobatics and really should abuse to the max, its very lucky to have this niche

speaking of brave bird, did it (along with close combat and double edge) get a nerf like fire blast and blizzard did?

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I just wanted to touch on something that I feel will have a great deal of potential this gen - Baton Pass. These are the some of the buffs that I've noticed:
  • Crits do 1.5X instead of 2X damage now, which means that they may not immediately kill a chain even if they do occur now.
  • Smeargle is able to pass Geomancy.
  • Mawile and Mr. Mime, who are both useful to full BP chains due to their movepool and ability, are now part Fairy-type.
  • There will be less sand and hail residual damage due to the weather nerf.
While there are certainly ways to exploit BP teams (prankster taunt and sheer offense), I believe those kinds of teams rose in viability. What do you all think?

I just wanted to touch on something that I feel will have a great deal of potential this gen - Baton Pass. These are the some of the buffs that I've noticed:
  • Crits do 1.5X instead of 2X damage now, which means that they may not immediately kill a chain even if they do occur now.
  • Mawile and Mr. Mime, who are both useful to full BP chains due to their movepool and ability, are now part Fairy-type.
While there are certainly ways to exploit BP teams (prankster taunt and sheer offense), I believe those kinds of teams rose in viability. What do you all think?
serebii said scolipede has speed boost now and hes about 600x better than frail crappy ninjask and can proved speed boost,spikes support,and offensive presence to any baton pass team. They definitely got a huge boost

Sorry but Mismagius isn't fairy either. Faced one, could use Dragon moves against it. :(
Can you try to find a Chansey/Blissey?!?! <3 It might not be available in the game. :/

I think they definitely have some more potential. However, Mr Mime being part Fairy doesn't exactly mean much. Fairy/Psychic is not the BEST type combo (that's why I hope Cresselia is just mono Fairy) and I don't think it's like some monumental buff to Baton Pass. Smeargle passing Geomancy though, yikessss.

At the same time, the new move Topsy Turvy would seem to completely demolish Baton Pass teams. Reversing all those boosts you worked for would be really nasty. I suppose Magic Bounce Espeon can counter it though! :0

So Cloyster or Barbaracle?

Cloyster - 50/95/180/85/45/70
Skill Link - All 5 Hits
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear - STABIce - 125
-Rock Blast - Rock - 125/90%
-Hydro Pump - STABSA120/80%
VS
Barbaracle - 70/110-120/110-120/50/100/80
Tough Claws - 20% Boost on Contact moves
-Shell Smash
-Razor Shell - STAB75/95%/lowerDef
-Stone Edge (Not Contact) - STAB100/80%/crit
-Cross Chop - 100/80%crit /Poison Jab 80/100%/30%poison /Night Slash - 70/crit

Last edited:
So Cloyster or Barbaracle?

Cloyster - 50/95/180/85/45/70
Skill Link - All 5 Hits
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear - Ice - 125
-Rock Blast - Rock - 125/90%
-Hydro Pump - SA120/80%
VS
Barbaracle - 70/110-120/110-120/50/100/80
Tough Claws - 20% Boost on Contact moves
-Shell Smash
-Razor Shell - 75/95%/lowerDef
-Stone Edge (Not Contact) - 100/80%/crit
-Cross Chop - 100/80%crit /Poison Jab 80/100%/30%poison /Night Slash - 70/crit
Barbaracle. The speed difference I think is the biggest deciding factor, being able to outspeed possibly every scarfer after the SS boost would be huge, although being stuffed up by sturdy is unfortunate if it gets no double hit moves. I'd be hoping it gets maybe X-Scissor as well for mons like celebi, but then I'd be not too happy about sweepers who can muscle through everything...oh well. And here I was thinking it was nice that it got rock polish.

I am now happier than ever that weather is nerfed if the hidden ability of avalugg is sturdy. Just imagine if it could pass on the hidden ability through breeding + got endeavour. It'd be FEAR Aron on crack for hail *shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)