Little things you like about Pokémon

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So back on Page 16 there was a bit of a discussion about Pokémon using obscure words. I recently discovered another example of this: Berry names.
The Berry names aren't amazing right from the get-go: Pecha = Peach, Cheri = Cherry etc. are pretty obvious.
Then you come to the middle of the road. Here you find cool stuff that you might have not noticed until right now, like nomeL and Iapapa (Lemon and Papaya).
That's when the true obscurity hits. You find crazy stuff like "Salac". Believe it or not, they didn't actually make these up. And you'd only know that kind of thing if you were an experienced botanist or if you had, like, a salak fruit in your backyard. (My phone doesn't even know these.)
So, yeah, pretty cool. Bulbapedia has all of the origins if you want to check them out.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So back on Page 16 there was a bit of a discussion about Pokémon using obscure words. I recently discovered another example of this: Berry names.
The Berry names aren't amazing right from the get-go: Pecha = Peach, Cheri = Cherry etc. are pretty obvious.
Then you come to the middle of the road. Here you find cool stuff that you might have not noticed until right now, like nomeL and Iapapa (Lemon and Papaya).
That's when the true obscurity hits. You find crazy stuff like "Salac". Believe it or not, they didn't actually make these up. And you'd only know that kind of thing if you were an experienced botanist or if you had, like, a salak fruit in your backyard. (My phone doesn't even know these.)
So, yeah, pretty cool. Bulbapedia has all of the origins if you want to check them out.
Adding onto that, the name is one thing, but sometimes the design is based off another. Like the Salac Berry, it's name is from the salak tree but its design is that of a cactus.

I also like how each Berry had a Tag Description in Gen III and IV which told you a bit about it. Sadly they got rid of that extra description meaning the Roseli, Kee, and Maranga Berry we know nothing about. You'd think with ORAS bringing back Pokemon Contests and the Berries back into the spotlight they'd bring it back (it also looks like the Roseli, Kee, and Maranga Berry don't have flavor stats).

Adding onto that, the name is one thing, but sometimes the design is based off another. Like the Salac Berry, it's name is from the salak tree but its design is that of a cactus.

I also like how each Berry had a Tag Description in Gen III and IV which told you a bit about it. Sadly they got rid of that extra description meaning the Roseli, Kee, and Maranga Berry we know nothing about. You'd think with ORAS bringing back Pokemon Contests and the Berries back into the spotlight they'd bring it back (it also looks like the Roseli, Kee, and Maranga Berry don't have flavor stats).
To add on to this, Berries now make Pokeblocks according to their colour, so apparently Belue berries are now dry instead of sour, Watmel berries are bitter instead of sweet, Spelon berries are sweet instead of spicy, and Enigma berries are sour instead of spicy.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I was listening to N's Theme (Final) while I was finishing up my VGC team in-game. That was when I realized that you can bunny hop perfectly to the rhythm. This is just amazing.
Edit: For convenience

Last edited:
You can imagine my surprise (again) when the nurse NPC wished me a happy birthday. I wasn't even thinking how it was my birthday, so it was a nice gesture. I know that it is just controlled by the 3DS's clock and my personal information, but it's a nice little addition, and helps to further the notion that it is your own little world.

The special Poké Puffs are also nice.

You can imagine my surprise (again) when the nurse NPC wished me a happy birthday. I wasn't even thinking how it was my birthday, so it was a nice gesture. I know that it is just controlled by the 3DS's clock and my personal information, but it's a nice little addition, and helps to further the notion that it is your own little world.

The special Poké Puffs are also nice.
Oh, happy birthday!
Also, I can't wait for the game to do the same to me on Saturday.

Back in Generation V, after the release of a Ghost/Fire and Ghost/Water Pokémon, I wanted a Ghost/Grass-type to round things off. My idea: a jack-o-lantern. And it should have Flamethrower as a move.
Generation VI comes along and we get said jack-o-lantern Pokémon. And it can learn Flamethrower. Yes.

I always enjoy when there are unofficial trios. For instance, now we have a full set of starter birds:

AND THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!!!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I always enjoy when there are unofficial trios. For instance, now we have a full set of starter birds:

AND THEY ARE ADORABLE!!!!!
And not only do they have the typical type triangle, they (or rather their final evolutions (unless Rowlet changes things up)) also have a reverse type triangle too!

Rowlet's Grass > Piplup's Water > Torchic's Fire > Rowlet's Grass

AND

Rowlet's Flying > Blaziken's Fighting > Empoleon's Steel > Rowlet's Flying

Okay, it's not a "true" type triangle as Steel only resists Flying, but it's close (closer than even the Sinnoh's final evo's).

Was watchin chuggaconroy's lp of platinum and heard this gem again
Very unique among Pokemon league themes. Unlike all the other ones that have epic music signaling a huge challenge ahead, this one uses a sad melody that reminds you the journey is nearly coming to an end. A brief moment of peace and reflection before the final battle.

I think I'm gonna cry...

Last edited:
Was watchin chuggaconroy's lp of platinum and heard this gem again
Very unique among Pokemon league themes. Unlike all the other ones that have epic music signaling a huge challenge ahead, this one uses a sad melody that reminds you the journey is nearly coming to an end. A brief moment of peace and reflection before the final battle.

I think I'm gonna cry...
As a kid I sometimes just sorta stayed out there for quite a while listening to the music. There's a few other places in Pokémon I done that when I was younger; like Heartgold's Cinnabar island - not just the music, but going to the edge of the shore and hearing the waves in conjunction with it. It was just sorta nice and relaxing, y'know?

One thing I like about the Pokemon games is how they sometimes use the "Show, don't tell" technique. For example, when the game is going to teach new players how to catch a Pokemon, they don't tell the player how to do it, but shows them in a tutorial. There are also other, smaller examples such as in some caves and routes in X/Y where using the bike/roller skates is not allowed, the game has a sign which shows you that instead of a sign telling you.

Another thing I like is Mega Audino. Its design specifically. They took a Pokemon that was already cute to begin with and made it even cuter. While its official artwork is pretty good, I became sold on it as soon as I saw it in the actual games themselves. The amount of detail that is put in its animations is great too. While attacking, it looks sad as if it doesn't want the opponent to get hurt. This goes very well with Audino being a supportive and caring Pokemon that wants to help others instead of hurting them.

And not only do they have the typical type triangle, they (or rather their final evolutions (unless Rowlet changes things up)) also have a reverse type triangle too!

Rowlet's Grass > Piplup's Water > Torchic's Fire > Rowlet's Grass

AND

Rowlet's Flying > Blaziken's Fighting > Empoleon's Steel > Rowlet's Flying

Okay, it's not a "true" type triangle as Steel only resists Flying, but it's close (closer than even the Sinnoh's final evo's).
Not only that, but Gen VI gives us the Psychic-Fighting-Dark triangle too. And it thematically makes sense, too (even if it goes in the same direction). I don't imagine we'll ever get anything that replaces FWG (since it is the simplest and most thematically appropriate type triangle), but I love seeing them experiment and change things up a bit. We may be nearing 1000 species, but Gamefreak is not running out of ideas.

EDIT: And, of course...
One thousand posts! What a blast it's been to come here to Smogon and meet such a caring and passionate community. I suppose it's time for shoutouts, so here goes:

It's been a teriffic journey to 1,000 posts, and I'm looking forward to the next 1,000!

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not only that, but Gen VI gives us the Psychic-Fighting-Dark triangle too. And it thematically makes sense, too (even if it goes in the same direction). I don't imagine we'll ever get anything that replaces FWG (since it is the simplest and most thematically appropriate type triangle), but I love seeing them experiment and change things up a bit. We may be nearing 1000 species, but Gamefreak is not running out of ideas.
I know, but I was talking about a reverse triangle specifically.

EDIT: And, of course...
What?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Re: the reverse triangle, arrgh, Sinnoh almost had it, too. Torterra EQs Infernape which HJKs Empoleon which...can at least hit Torterra for neutral damage.
I did mention the Sinnoh starters too in my post. I covered all my bases.

Congrats on your 1,000th post!

Now some Easter Eggs from the Japanese Sun & Moon Trailer!

By now everyone probably knows about the "Machoke Express" easter egg:

An obvious reference to Machoke Movers.

But did you catch what the kids were drinking in the Cafeteria?

Drink you Moo Moo Milk kid to build strong bones and heal 100 HP.

And then we have this odd one:

"Unattended Children Will Be Sold As Slaves"

Actually I think this is a real game store so this is probably their sign (I find a few like it on Google), so not an Easter Egg but more a funny slip up on the Pokemon Company's part for not noticing a rather non-child friendly sign in their promotional trailer for a children's game.

red arm

Actually I think this is a real game store so this is probably their sign (I find a few like it on Google), so not an Easter Egg but more a funny slip up on the Pokemon Company's part for not noticing a rather non-child friendly sign in their promotional trailer for a children's game.
No, the villainous team this gen are human traffickers! Wake up, sheeple!

I've seen one of those signs before in the general store/restaurant/etc in my old neighborhood. But it had one of those WWII poster styled women on it.

One of the little things I like about Pokemon is the process of getting the Regis in RSE. What I like about it is that it's not just a simple "go to the end of the cave and there is the legendary", it's a pretty darn complicated process, and much more so if you do not have the guidebook or don't use the Internet. It's probably the most complex process in all of Pokemon with the whole having to catch a relicanth and catch/evolve wailord along with all the puzzles in unlocking the chambers. And the bonus that you need to do all that in order to get regigigas makes it even more in depth. I hope in the future some sort of similar conplexity returns.

One of the little things I like about Pokemon is the process of getting the Regis in RSE. What I like about it is that it's not just a simple "go to the end of the cave and there is the legendary", it's a pretty darn complicated process, and much more so if you do not have the guidebook or don't use the Internet. It's probably the most complex process in all of Pokemon with the whole having to catch a relicanth and catch/evolve wailord along with all the puzzles in unlocking the chambers. And the bonus that you need to do all that in order to get regigigas makes it even more in depth. I hope in the future some sort of similar conplexity returns.
Agreed, but thank Arceus for Bulbapedia!

One thing I absolutely love is the possibility, while being in-game and only there, to run pokemons without Spe enhancing nature. I almost never run pokemon with Timid/Jolly nature -especially if their evolved form has already 90+ base Spe- because I want to nuke the opponent; notable memories for me:
(1) Modest Espeon + Adamant Tyranitar
(2) Modest Reuniclus + Modest Chandelure

Not having to run a Spe beneficial nature really frees up a lot of fun possibilities.

Yeah I agree it is pretty damn cool but I don't think it's good game design. Outside of the braille, which 99% of the players probably can't read, the game tells you absolutely nothing about the process.

I think it would've been executed better if they dropped really subtle hints like an NPC saying something like "Ancient texts say Relicanth is affiliated with a Legendary Pokemon!" or a book saying "I_land _ave ___it_2_mi__tes" (Island Cave 2 minutes). This way, players can connect the dots and have SOME sort of information instead of nothing at all. Solving a puzzle that you actually have to figure out instead of being forced to read straight off a guide would be much more satisfying.

I do hope something as complex as getting the Regis returns but done in a way that the community can solve together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)