(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Hard when it is very vocal and spammed left and right on nearly all sites I visit.

And nope I'm not into Tumblr I have dignity. God save us from that hell hole.
Tumblr's not all bad. I mean, there's always It Runs Doom.

O... kay, I don't really know what Tumblr has to do with anything... in any case, this doesn't change the fact you can just ignore it.
You've never seen that portion of Tumblr, have you?

As someone who played monster hunter...i am conditioned to do that.
Pfft. I grew up playing the GBC version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets*. You have to check every pixel of every display case, statue, and bookcase to make sure you get all the hidden items.

*Seriously, it and the GBC version of Philosopher's Stone** are really good RPGs, especially if you are a fan of the series. I highly recommend them.
**I am an American, but the original title is so much better. And actually doesn't give a new name to something that exists. It is all Scholastic's fault.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Two things that really annoy me are the moves dragon ascent and oblivion wing. I feel as though they should be a different type than they are. Dragon ascent literally has the word dragon in it... In actuality, it being flying type is probably better, but the name will forever bug me. Oblivion wing a little less so, seeing as it has wing in the name it would make sense for it to be a flying type move, but actually nope, cause the move has very little to do with flying (other than that it's used by a flying/dark type). Oblivion wing drains the opponents life force, which would be something associated with the dark type, not flying. I think a duel typing on the move could have worked, but it just dosent make a lot of sense to me with its current typing.
Though Dragon Ascent is oddly named (I'd personally would have called it something like Celestial Ascent) I do like its Signature Move is a Flying-type since its suppose to be the beast of the sky yet it always felt like its Dragon typing always overshadowed its Flying-typing (I guess for good reason, though now that it has a powerful Flying-type move it has to have it now does feel like a sky dragon instead of a dragon who can fly).

And I'm also okay with Oblivion Wing since it does had "oblivion" in its name and the attack is a beam of energy. It makes its name more of a misnomer, it's only called "wing" because Yveltal is a bird and so releases the energy from its wings. Had it had arms it'll release the beam that way.

That said we do need more dual-type moves.

Shipping:
The main problem with shipping is that it's not going to amount to anything as the main characters are kids and romance isn't the focus of the show, monster battling is (and the bonding with said monsters that comes from it). It's kind of why Serena's crush on Ash somewhat annoys me as so much time is dedicated to it when it's obviously not going to go anywhere, thankfully she also had the Pokemon Showcase to focus character development on.

Trash Cans:
There's also a Medal in BW2 you get for looking into trash cans. ;)

But yeah, I think they should at least hide some items in there occasionally, even have them refresh everyday. I actually thought of a neat crafting system involving the trash cans but that's get into wishlisting, but just saying if I could think of something surely the creators can.

Last edited:
The terrible Pokemon moveset of Maxie's Camerupt at the climax of ORAS's story annoys me to no end. It doesn't run a single stab move and relies on the weak Take Down and Rock slide for damage, making it super easy for your entire team to defeat it. I was able to defeat it with my un-mega evolved mawile, ruining any tension that the battle could have posed.

The terrible Pokemon moveset of Maxie's Camerupt at the climax of ORAS's story annoys me to no end. It doesn't run a single stab move and relies on the weak Take Down and Rock slide for damage, making it super easy for your entire team to defeat it. I was able to defeat it with my un-mega evolved mawile, ruining any tension that the battle could have posed.
Yeah, I don't know why gamefreak decides to give gym leaders/bosses/Pokemon league terrible move sets. This was especially noticeable in the earlier gens. It really ruins the feeling of a challenge.

Like the time you challenge "Champion" Blue only for his Arcanine to use Ember, Rhydon to have Tail Whip / Fury Attack and Exeggutor to use Barrage? Weakest Champion ever (except for that stupid Alakazam)

Blue was definitely a low point... They've improved since then, but if they're going to keep giving us stupid move sets on supposedly powerful trainers Pokemon, the should at least make an easily accessible hard mode or something. Something you could pick right from the start where opponents would actually be a force to be reckoned with.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Blue's problem was Gen I's general treatment of trainers. With the exception of Gym Leaders, whose Pokémon would carry the TM move they gave out as a prize, all Pokémon simply had the moves they would have naturally learned at that level. So Blue's Exeggutor would have Exeggutor's three level-up moves: Hypnosis, Barrage and Stomp. Gyarados would have Hyper Beam, Dragon Rage, Hydro Pump and Leer. Rhydon: Fury Attack, Horn Drill, Tail Whip and Leer. Arcanine: Roar, Ember, Leer and Take Down. There are exceptions, though, his Starter will carry one TM move (Blizzard, Fire Blast or Mega Drain), overwriting its penultimate level-up move (Skull Bash, Flamethrower and Sleep Powder, respectively).

Gen I generally had really crappy level-up movepools for most Pokémon. Even Charizard got Fire Spin at level 55. One of the last moves learned by Blastoise is Withdraw. Two of Venusaur's last three level-up moves are Sleep Powder and Growth. Rhydon famously only got Normal moves in its 'pool, and learned Leer at level 55. Most Pokémon evolving with evolutionary stones have two or three moves at most in their movepool.

Actually, let's look closer at Rhydon, since it illustrates so perfectly how movepools have expanded. A level 55 Rhydon in RBY would have the movepool of Blue's: Tail Whip, Fury Attack, Horn Drill and Leer. For the record, Tail Whip and Leer are for all intents and purposes the same move.

So, for contrast, a level 55 Rhydon in ORAS: Stone Edge, Hammer Arm, Earthquake and Megahorn.

Overall, Blue's problem compared to other Champions is that Pokémon has marched on a lot since his heydays. Previously, the movesets were just picked off the level-up list. Now, they are custom tailored, and movepools have expanded massively. Blue suffered from lazy design, where all the other Champions have benefitted from better practises. With his Pokémon in today's games, Blue would have been a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Most of the Pokémon he used in Gen I really hold up still, with tons of new toys to unleash on unsuspecting challengers. As far as variety and sheer viability goes, Blue picked much better Pokémon than Alder and Diantha, though Cynthia might have the edge even on him.

At any rate, though, Blue is the best rival by miles and miles. None of the others even come close.

Yeah it's a bit rough comparing Blue to other champions based off of his gen i sets
Gen I:
Gen V:
As the games evolved so have his move sets. But then that goes to show how pathetic Maxie and Archie's final sets in ORAS were, not a STAB on either of their megas. Even Lysandre had a decent team even though two Pokemon had only three moves. One thing of the gen vi bosses I noticed is that half of Maxie and Archie's moves were status moves but Lysandre had only one (Swords Dance on Mienshao).

I know making GF are making the games more accessible and it would've been a nightmare to backtrack through Seafloor Cavern from Mossdeep if you blacked out but a rest stop before hand would have been a much better solution than turning the 'final boss' of the game into a pushover.

I know making GF are making the games more accessible and it would've been a nightmare to backtrack through Seafloor Cavern from Mossdeep if you blacked out but a rest stop before hand would have been a much better solution than turning the 'final boss' of the game into a pushover.
Not to mention you can Save before the battle anyway so you don't lose much progress. (Just please let us skip the loving cutscenes)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As the games evolved so have his move sets. But then that goes to show how pathetic Maxie and Archie's final sets in ORAS were, not a STAB on either of their megas.
Actually, I just checked: Archie and Maxie do suffer from the "Blue Problem":

Maxie's Camerupt is at level 43 and has the moves Curse, Take Down, Rock Slide and Yawn. Camerupt learns Curse at level 29, Take Down at 31, Rock Slide at 33 and Yawn at 39. Its next move would be Earthquake at 46.

Similarly, Archie's level 43 Sharpedo has Scary Face (level 29), Slash (level 30), Poison Fang (level 34) and Crunch (level 40). Had it been two levels higher, it would have had Agility over Scary Face.

It's the same story for all their other Pokémon. The designers have apparently picked Pokémon for them, set a level, and let their program assign the four most recent moves from their level-up movepool. Interestingly, their level 41 Mightyena have the same moves as regular level 41 Mightyena, but in a different order (Scary Face/Take Down/Taunt/Embargo instead of Scary Face/Embargo/Taunt/Take Down).

It seems like the designers have created custom movesets for Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, the Champion and obviously the Battle Maison. But they've kept a lot of settings on "Default" when scripting the games, even ORAS. For all battles but the final, even the rival's Pokémon (including the starter) have "automatic" movesets. Without checking, I bet this is the case all over the games, with the exception of very specific and plot-important battles. But for some reason, they didn't even bother to code custom movesets for the evil team leaders. That's rather annoying.

I know people here are complaining about big name trainers having Pokemon with only like two moves but from a programming standpoint it makes sense. It means the AI has less options to chose from and less of a chance of making a stupid mistake. Who cares that this person's Azumarill only knows Aqua Tail and Play Rough? In an in-game battle, an Azumarill without any egg moves only really needs those two moves to approach "perfect coverage" only really being uneffective against poison types and two steel lines. This only two move thing is there to guide the AI to making the optimal moves.

Actually, I just checked: Archie and Maxie do suffer from the "Blue Problem":

Maxie's Camerupt is at level 43 and has the moves Curse, Take Down, Rock Slide and Yawn. Camerupt learns Curse at level 29, Take Down at 31, Rock Slide at 33 and Yawn at 39. Its next move would be Earthquake at 46.

Similarly, Archie's level 43 Sharpedo has Scary Face (level 29), Slash (level 30), Poison Fang (level 34) and Crunch (level 40). Had it been two levels higher, it would have had Agility over Scary Face.

It's the same story for all their other Pokémon. The designers have apparently picked Pokémon for them, set a level, and let their program assign the four most recent moves from their level-up movepool. Interestingly, their level 41 Mightyena have the same moves as regular level 41 Mightyena, but in a different order (Scary Face/Take Down/Taunt/Embargo instead of Scary Face/Embargo/Taunt/Take Down).

It seems like the designers have created custom movesets for Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, the Champion and obviously the Battle Maison. But they've kept a lot of settings on "Default" when scripting the games, even ORAS. For all battles but the final, even the rival's Pokémon (including the starter) have "automatic" movesets. Without checking, I bet this is the case all over the games, with the exception of very specific and plot-important battles. But for some reason, they didn't even bother to code custom movesets for the evil team leaders. That's rather annoying.
Especially annoying because really, it's just a few lines of code in a few instances. It feels worse than when they don't give us gym leader/E4 rematches; at least that you could say is 'keeping a feature until the next game' (but is still really stupid). This is just lazy.

What I think is probably most confusing is that they've gone out of their way to customize leader boss movesets in the past - after all, we all remember Ghetsis's killer Hydreigon - so to see them shift away from that is slightly disappointing. Even kids can enjoy a challenge, I think. I couldn't beat the Kanto Elite Four the first time I played Fire Red, and I even restarted the game in order to create a better team, but I'll still say that, for kid-me, finally wiping the floor with the Elite Four was a priceless experience.

What I think is probably most confusing is that they've gone out of their way to customize leader boss movesets in the past - after all, we all remember Ghetsis's killer Hydreigon - so to see them shift away from that is slightly disappointing. Even kids can enjoy a challenge, I think. I couldn't beat the Kanto Elite Four the first time I played Fire Red, and I even restarted the game in order to create a better team, but I'll still say that, for kid-me, finally wiping the floor with the Elite Four was a priceless experience.
His hydreigon is the one responsible for this, people actually complaint it was too hard here!

They even nerfed his hydreigon in B2W2!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know we've beat this dead horse enough times, but there is just some dex descriptions which annoy me as they sound like superstition but never said to be, thus they sound like they're being presented as fact. And I'm not talking about exaggerations like with Machamp punching 1000 times in 3 second or Magcargo's magma being hotter than the sun (those are annoying in themselves though but I can understand there's truth in there its just "less" impressive). What I'm talking about mostly happens with Ghost-types or other Pokemon with a supernatural/mystical lean.

Two examples are with Yamask & Phantump. Their dex description says they're dead people. Like with Yamask I could maybe come up with the theory that they're using psychometry to read the memories associated with the death mask thus giving them more human-like behavior (such as having human empathy thus why they cry when looking at the mask, they're feeling sorrow over a lost life), but Phantump is pretty much stuck in superstition territory. Like closest I could think of an explanation is that in the past children whose bodies were found in the forest has a Phantump moaning over them, so people said the Phantump is the spirit of the child.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)