Leafeon [QC 0/3] Swiggity Swooty, I'm comin for that booty

Overview
########

+Good speed tier (Outspeeds Klinklang, Lilligant, Magmortar, Mesprit, Zangoose, Rotom, Sawk)
+Access to attack boost via swords dance
+Strong Physical moves of any type with Natural Gift
+Great natural physical bulk
+Weak to predominant fire and flying types in the tier
+Easily walled without appropriate coverage
+Shallow move pool.

Offensive SD
########
Name: Swords Dance
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Leaf Blade
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Natural Gift / Synthesis
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Life Orb / Watmel Berry
EV's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

Moves
========

• Swords dance increases Leafeon's attack by two stages. Can be used upon switch predictions or Pokemon who can not touch you.
  • Leaf blade is it's strongest physical stab move with the added benefit of a 12.5 chance to crit
  • Knock off is Knock off. The ability to remove an item as well as be a 97.5 base power move when first used.
  • Synthesis allows you to recover 50%. This can give you increased longevity as well as negate the side effects of Life Orb.
  • Natural gift is an amazing move for Leafeon to carry. Natural gift allows you to take a berry, and essentially add any type move to your moveset.

Set Details
========

• Max speed to outpace any mon below base 95.
  • Max attack for best damage output.
  • Chlorophyll for the occasional sun team. It is the most useful of its two useless abilities
  • Life orb to increase your damage by 30%
  • Watmel berry will give you a fire type natural gift. Tamato and Starf will give you a psychic attack which can also be used effectively. These can be used to effectively hit checks to Leafeon.
  • If natural gift is not used lum berry can be added for protection against toxic, burn or paralysis.

Usage Tips
========

• Works great with hazard support. Any added damage from spikes and stealth rocks to the switches Leafeon can force only help it take things down quicker. Common switch ins like Ferroseed and Vileplume won't appreciate a knock off as well as hazards.
  • Watch out for powerful fire and flying types. Typhlosion and Archeops are two of the top threats in the tier that can come in and revenge kill at any point.Your team should have checks to these types.
  • Natural gift, while uncommon, can throw your opponent off guard and pick up a surprise kill for you. Watmel berry will give you a base 80 fire type physical movethat will allow you to hit things like Leafeon, Ferroseed, Vileplume, Lilligant, and Cacturne. After a swords dance watmel berry natural gift will OHKO Vileplume after rocks, OHKO ferroseed and sraight up kill Lilligant or Cacturne with no boost at all. Tamato berry / Starf berry are also viable with natural gift. They will give you a psychic type attack. Tamato berry will allow you to hit things like Vileplume, Garbador, and Weezing. It will deal less damage than its counterpart but it should be noted that Tamato berry has no secondary effects. Starf berry is unreliable because if you take enough damage your berry will be used up and you lose your ability to hit poison types. Natural gift can prove to be very niche but it has its uses.

Team Options
========

• Fire types are something to consider when building a team with Leafeon. Things like Assault Vest Hariyama, Assault Vest Magmortar, and your own Flash Fire Typlosion will provide switch ins to most Typhlosion or Scarfed Magmortar that come in to revenge kill. Pyroar is something to be aware of as well, and you will find that Hariyama is the only aforementioned Pokemon with the ability to switch into Specs Pyroar safely. Mega-Camerupt is also worth mention; however, +2 leaf blade is a guaranteed OHKO after rocks. The bottom line is: Bring an Assault Vest Hariyama or another sufficient fire check and you will have an easier time using this Pokemon to the bets of its abilities.
  • Pokemon to check and or counter powerful flying and ice types should be considered as well.
  • Spreading paralysis can be a good way to ensure your Leafeon outspeeds things that would normally threaten it. Typically things that threaten it out are also mons that die to a +2 Knock Off or Leaf Blade with or without a rock and some pikes. Uxie is a great mon that can serve as a T-Wave spreader, and source of rocks.

Defensive Wish Pass
########
Name: Wish Pass
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: Leaf Blade
Move 4: Heal Bell
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 Hp / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Nature: Impish

Moves
========

• Wish is a great way to remain healthy and keep your team on its feet. Wish will give you back 50% of your hp upon receiving it, and in most instances, pass even more to the rest of your team.
  • Baton pass will help spread wishes safely to the rest of your team. Should your opponent switch in to something that would threaten the intended wish receiver you could simply pass in to something else with out having to predict them to stay in or switch.
  • Leaf blade is your best stab move to carry. Leafeon's natural attack stat will allow you to dish out good damage with no investment.
  • Heal bell is a fantastic utility move for not only Leafeon, but the entire team itself. If another wall tries to wear you down with burn or toxic damage you can easily heal yourself. This will also keep mons on your team free from status.

Set Details
========
  • Max Hp and enough in defense for as much bulk as possible. Max hp will allow you to pass more plentiful wishes to other team members.
  • 88 speed allows you to outspeed max speed neutral nature Seismitoad as well as Modest/Adamant Samurott.
  • Leftovers provide an extra 6% Hp recovery per turn. This coupled with the Hp you will be receiving from wishes will keep you Leafeon alive and well.

Usage Tips
========

• Defensive Leafeon is a very difficult mon to use. Given the predominant offensive types in NU, you may have a hard time fitting it on a team and walling enough things to be used successfully.
  • Appropriate checks to fire, ice, and flying should be carried on a team with Leafeon as you will find it hard to pass wishes with these specific types threatening you at all times.
  • Pokemon that don't take kindly to being burned and paralyzed can be used more effectively on a team with defensive leafeon as you always have the option of heal belling and wish passing back to those mons.
  • When not wishing and heal belling, Leafeon can be a good pivot between mons. Baton pass will allow you to keep some momentum and play as fluidly as you like.
  • Leafeon switches in to many walls safely. Seismitoad, Sandslash and Rhydon are all common mons that Leafeon can switch into, set up a wish on, and threaten out with its powerful grass stab.

Team Options
========

• Leafeon appreciates teammates that cover its weaknesses. Appropriate fire, flying, and ice checks should be considered when building with defensive Leafeon. Fire type checks will greatly appreciate the wishes you can pass them after Leafeon is threatened out by the fire types they will be switching in to.
  • Archeops is a good mon to pair with defensive Leafeon because it resists two of the main types that threaten out your mon. Wish passing into Archeops to keep it healthy is great as it allows your Archeops to carry another coverage move and not be forced to run roost.

Other Options
########
  • Roar could be considered for a defensive Leafeon. Having a phaser on your team is never a bad thing.
  • Yawn is a good utility move that can force switches.

Checks & Counters
########

• Poison types. Bulky or Offensive. Vileplume, Garbodor, and Weezing being the key ones.
  • Abundance of fire types. Typhlosion will destroy Leafeon 10/10 times.
  • Archeops and any flying type. Defensive Leafeon can take one acrobatics from Archeops but it's not usually worth it.
  • Steel types. Things like Ferroseed and Klinklang will set up spikes and shit gears respectively.

Last edited:
idk how WIP this is, but I don't think Natural Gift should be a slash on the first set, I think it would be better in moves or OO. But Baton Pass should get a slash in the 4th slot

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't be opposed to Natural Gift getting it's own set, if not a main slash on the SD set. If somebody has serious objections to either of those a strong mention in moves is fair. I personally don't like baton pass on Swords Dance Leafeon, but maybe that's just because I haven't had a ton of success with it. I'd make Synthesis / Substitute the last slash if we decide against Natural Gift. The only reason I wouldn't put Natural Gift on the main set is because it's very difficult to make the set look clean lol. If Substitute stays on main set, Leftovers should get the slash over Lum Berry.

If we opt against Natural Gift for the main set, it obviously doesn't need a full revamp. Just an scms edit to get rid of X-Scissor because that's honestly pretty trash and replace it with Substitute.

I haven't used defensive Wish pass at all, so I don't really have an opinion on it.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Agreeing with Kiyo. If I were to ever use an offensive SD Leafeon, I wouldn't really see a reason not to use Nat Gift. It's akin to Hidden Power for physical attackers in that you can pick and choose what you wanna lure in and beat depending on your team. Psychic can be used to lure and beat Hariyama, Vileplume, Weezing, Garbodor etc. Fire can be used for Steelix or Ferroseed if it ever gets relevant again, or hell even Water if you want to beat Mega Rupt lol. Super customizable, and I find an additional coverage move is much more useful than anything else Leafeon could utilize in the last slot, though I'm not opposed with it getting slashed with other stuff obviously.
Nat Gift / Baton Pass / Sub / QA / whateves, I just personally think NG is definitely worthy of a primary or secondary slash at the worst. :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Synthesis should be the first slash on offensive SD.

Sub seems meh on that set, especially with your current item slashing (bad synergy with Life Orb and redundant with Lum). I've had more success with Sub on a dedicated Baton Pass set with SD / Pass / Leaf Blade / Sub and max HP / max Speed with Lefties (which also deserves a set imo).

Also the first set should just run max Speed, 40 HP doesn't do anything in particular and it's useful to outspeed the occasional Chatot and non-Scarf Rotom (+ tying with Jynx and Haunter)

No opinion on Natural Gift

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
swagilyph

Slash Syntheis on the last slot of first set, agreeing with blast on the other stuff he said as well. Natural Gift is really good, but I feel that the benefits of Synthesis are more useful to have. However, I'm not opposed to NG being the first slash, but at the least synth needs to be slashed in that slot.

In the overview, make note that it's movepool is pretty shallow, which is pretty bad for an offensive pokemon.

When you say good speed tier, list a few of the offensive pokemon it outspeeds, as that's a good selling point for leafeon.

Fire spam (or anything with spam) isn't a term we're allowed to use, that point would be better worded as "troubled by the common fire types in the tier".

For the wish pass set, I'd like it to be running some more speed investment.

Here are some benchmarks that are relevant:
240 Speed (52 EVs) - outspeeds neutral base 70s like samurott (this should be the minimum speed defensive runs)
248 Speed (88 EVs) - outspeeds neutral max speed seismitoad
270 Speed (176 EVs) - outspeeds neutral max speed sawk

Add a dedicated baton pass set, I used it a bit in XY - although I want to hear what Raseri has to say about it since he built a team around that set.

swagilyph

Slash Syntheis on the last slot of first set, agreeing with blast on the other stuff he said as well. Natural Gift is really good, but I feel that the benefits of Synthesis are more useful to have. However, I'm not opposed to NG being the first slash, but at the least synth needs to be slashed in that slot.

In the overview, make note that it's movepool is pretty shallow, which is pretty bad for an offensive pokemon.

When you say good speed tier, list a few of the offensive pokemon it outspeeds, as that's a good selling point for leafeon.

Fire spam (or anything with spam) isn't a term we're allowed to use, that point would be better worded as "troubled by the common fire types in the tier".

For the wish pass set, I'd like it to be running some more speed investment.

Here are some benchmarks that are relevant:
240 Speed (52 EVs) - outspeeds neutral base 70s like samurott (this should be the minimum speed defensive runs)
248 Speed (88 EVs) - outspeeds neutral max speed seismitoad
270 Speed (176 EVs) - outspeeds neutral max speed sawk

Add a dedicated baton pass set, I used it a bit in XY - although I want to hear what Raseri has to say about it since he built a team around that set.
Believe I made all of the changes you asked for

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Believe I made all of the changes you asked for
Alright, looking better but there's a few more things that I'd like fixed up before I stamp.

• Knock off is Knock off. The ability to remove an item as well as be a 97.5 base power move when first used.
Add here that it hits Psychic and Ghost types (apart from the occasional itemless acro drifblim) much harder than Leaf Blade. Also how it has the great utility of removing the foes item, limiting defensive pokemon's longevity.
  • Watmel berry will give you a fire type natural gift. Tamato and Starf will give you a psychic attack which can also be used effectively. These can be used to effectively hit checks to Leafeon.
Add here some examples of what Pokemon you hit with the chosen berry for natural gift (ie bulky grass types for watmel and bulky poison types with tamato / starf)

On the defensive wish pass set, make this the main spread: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Outspeeds neutral natured base 70 pokemon (samurott / ludicolo), and having the slight extra bulk is better than outspeeding toad since there are 2 relevent mons you outpace with this spread as opposed to one. However, list the alternate spreads in set details with the explanation as to what they accomplish.

The most important thing I see which can be improved is adding examples of pokemon in respective sections. More of a general thing, but I trust you to do this.

In OO, make note of a dedicated baton pass set (bp / sub / sd / leaf blade), its nice but doesnt deserve a full set (talked to ras).

In C&C, I'd probably remove ferroseed since it loses to either synthesis sd leafeon or sd watmel berry nat gift, and it cant leech seed back health and gyro does piss poor damage.
Speaking of which, that kinda needs beefing up but I'll leave that to mont lol

Anyways, the general information is there, just needs some tweaks here and there - nice work for your first go at this.
Do this and I'll stamp.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Excuse me, swagilyph, Leafeon is super-high priority, and it would be appreciated if you could finish implementing the check that Boltsandbombers gave you! Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)