Votes: 5 38.5%
  • What is a poll?

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

DNNP

There is always next year
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Introduction

After the release of the last of the ORAS Mega Stones and the hype died down, two of the megas settled nicely into the OU tier. Diancie, which found a nice offensive niche, and Latias, which, just as in ORAS, worked its way into balance and Semi-Stall teams. Although not my favorite mega by personal preference (*sigh* Manectric just doesn't get any luck *sigh*) I will say Latias is my favorite mega to use competitively. So before a Dugtrio suspect test rolls in, I am sharing the Mega-Latias team that has given me a lot of success.

Competitive Pokemon History
Although I have had a couple of different Alt's throughout the years, I have been part of the Showdown Community for almost 5 years now. I just recently joined the Smogon Forums and Community, but that is due to having "more" time on my hands. I first started playing in the end of Black and White 2, back in the days when Hackmons was actually a thing. I mostly played OM's but dabbled in OU, UU, and LC occasionally. With the introduction of X and Y, I began to play OU competitively and found it quite enjoyable. Despite my enjoyment, most of the teams I used were not of my own creation. In fact, it wasn't until the middle of ORAS that I began actually building my own teams. I always seemed to find that my teams had inherent flaws in them, so I had preferred to just use others, as I had more fun doing so. Since ORAS, and into SuMo, I have played a mix of teams passed to me and ones of my own creation. The teams I have made this gen seem to be a bit more solid, more focused, although that may be due to experience or just simply a different meta. Anyways, here is one of the newest creations, so hopefully it hold up.

Teambuilding Process

1. Mega Latias
First and foremost: Mega Latias. Exceptional overall bulk on both the physical and special side, a well placed speed tier of 110 allowing it to outspeed many threats, including Garchomp, Zygarde, Kartana, both forms of Charizard, Manaphy, Pinsir, etc. You get the point. Latias acts as a hard counter to Zard-Y and Mega Camerupt and can set up on almost any special attacker, including Shift Gear Magearna. Even Double Dance turns into a calm mind war, which can be won or lost depending on sets. Latias is a win condition in almost any game and can never be underestimated.

2. Tyranitar
Following Lati is a not so surprising choice: Tyranitar. A huge physical attacker, sometimes a bluff as to what the Mega is, and a trapper/breaker of some things Latias doesn't like. This thing traps opposing Lati@s, changes weather against Zard-Y and Ninetails, and can put huge dents into Chansey and Clefable. Also, being a physical attacker gave me a nice complement to Latias' special attacks.

3. Dugtrio
What do I have to say? It is the cookie cutter set that has become infamous in the OU tier. This thing can rid the opposition of Heatran, Tyranitar, Magearna, Chansey, Clefable, Mawile, etc. The list goes on and on. The main reason it is here is the same as most other teams; it rips holes in the defensive core to allow one of my pokes to sweep.

4. Toxapex
With the first three pokemon in place, I needed a defensive backbone for the team. Spefically, I needed an answer to Ash Greninja, Rain, Scizor, Volcarona and other set up sweepers. And so, we introduce Toxapex. With Regenerator, it is extremely annoying to kill, can Haze set-up sweepers, set T-Spikes, and just be annoying to deal with. It also gave me a grounded poison type to get rid of opposing T-Spikes. With Mega Latias to cover the ground, psychic and electric type attacks, it can be hard to kill.

5. Celesteela
Well, I have Pex. So obviously, in true OU fashion, I put Celesteela right behind it. The two form an excellent defensive backbone and with support from Mega Latias, create a hard to break defensive backbone. Celesteela is an answer to most physical attackers, from Excadrill to Pinsir to Kartana. It can also check most fairies, like Diancie and Clefable, both of whom can't stomach a Heavy Slam. And it is pretty obvious why Latias doesn't like fairies.

6. Clefable
For the last slot, I needed something with Stealth Rocks and a check to two things that basically tore through my team: Heracross and Zygarde. Hence, Clefable. With Magic Guard, it was the status absorber that my team needed, a check to most dragons, and a easy way to get ahead against Stall. It also helps me deal with any many of the stall breakers that cause problems for a Pex-Steela core, like Taunt Mew and Taunt Fini. It can also be considered a "lure" of sorts for things like Heatran and Magearna. A solid, reliable pokemon to round out the Defensive Core of the team.

The Team

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt
The figurehead of the team, Latias acts as both a defensive pivot and a win-con. For pokemon like Zard-Y, it merely switches in to whatever attack and then recovers or switches right back out. This is especially useful when predicting a Magearna, Heatran or Chansey to come in. Max speed and max HP is used to maximize Latias' bulk while retaining its excellent speed tier. I played around with lower speed EV's, but found that the bulk gained is inconsequential most of the time and missing out on outspeeds like Kartana or Ninetails just isn't worth it. The choice of Thunderbolt and Stored Power is to give me coverage against Celesteela and Toxapex with few boosts, while Stored Power becomes a nuke after just 2 calm minds. In fact, all non-toxic Clefable sets are set up fodder for Latias, as it wins Calm Mind wars against Magic Guard and beats Unaware with Stored Power.

Calcs:
+6 0 SpA Latias-Mega Stored Power (260 BP) vs. +6 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 408-480 (103.5 - 121.8%)
0 SpA Latias-Mega Stored Power (260 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Unaware Clefable: 405-477 (103 - 121.3%)

Even Double Dance Magearna has a hard time beating Mega Latias, especially if Latias gets started setting up first.

252 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 138-164 (38 - 45.1%)
+6 0 SpA Latias-Mega Stored Power (260 BP) vs. +6 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 165-195 (54.8 - 64.7%)

All in all, Latias is a scary pokemon against any playstyle, from Offense to Balance to Stall.

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Band Tar is the literal definition of a heavy hitter. With 604 attack, it can tear its way through most stall teams that lack a good ground resist. (No, Dugtrio is not a ground resist) Pursuit is to catch things like the Lati twins or Chansey on a switch, Crunch and Stone Edge are your basic STAB moves, and Superpower is the fighting coverage for things like Ferrothorn and opposing Tyranitars. It is also a secondary answer to Volcarona, as Tyranitar can take a +1 Bug Buzz from full and retaliate with a Banded Crunch. Lastly, it messes with Aurora Veil HO and can start some weather wars with Rain teams.

Calcs:
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 313-369 (100.6 - 118.6%)

Dugtrio (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Screech
- Earthquake
Groundium Z Dugtrio is the cookie cutter set for SuMo OU currently. Any pokemon that is grounded and weak to gound types, beware. Even pokemon like Chansey and Clefable aren't safe, as screech into Z-EQ kills them. Substitute is here to play mindgames with Mawile and Bisharp, while Toxic is here to catch things like Tapu Bulu and Lando-T. I'm not going to post any calcs because we all know what this thing can do.

Toxapex (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
Toxapex, the answer to most set-up sweepers. With Haze, it can stop non-Psychic Volcarona and SD Scizor in their tracks. T-Spikes are to add another layer of entry hazards to the opponents side of the field. The obvious impact is that it poisons grounded pokemon like Greninja and Tyranitar, both of which can then be stalled by my team until they fall. The secondary effect is that it prioritizes defog for my opponent. Seeing as how I don't have hazard control on my team, forcing my opponent to get rid of all entry hazards can be beneficial for me. Shed Shell is the item of choice because Dugtrio is annoying and it is funny to watch an opponent waste their z-move on my switch to Celesteela.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam
Another fairly standard set, Celesteela is here to act as one of two main physical walls for the team. Specifically, it plays the roll of ground immunity and answer to the threat that is Pinsir. This is my check to Excadrill, Mega-Swampert, Landorus-T, and Mimikyu among many others. Basically, Celesteela is the omnipresent and almost required steel type for my team. Standard moveset, standard EV spread, not much more to say about this.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
Last but not least, Clefable. This is the teams only real answer to Zygarde and Heracross, but what a job it does. Stealth Rocks, Moonblast and Soft-Boiled are all fairly standard but my favorite is Knock Off. (And no, I take absolutely no credit in creating this set) As I mentioned earlier, this is a lure for Heatran and Magearna. Knock Off on the switch can get rid of Leftovers on Heatran and hint at what set Magearna is. It also allows me to 1v1 any Ferrothorn as you can stall out Gyro Ball PP and it has no recovery, due to Magic Guard blocking Leech Seed. It also cripples Tapu Fini and Celesteela, both of which rely on Leftovers for consistent recovery. And of course, this thing, along with the rest of the team, allows me to crush most forms of Stall. And who doesn't love that?

Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%)
252+ Atk Heracross-Mega Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 175-210 (44.4 - 53.2%)

Threat List

Threats
Tapu Bulu: High

This thing is an absolute monster against my team. SD Bulu with Rockium or Fightinium Z can crush Celesteela and with Stored Power on Latias, I can't really revenge kill. Nothing else can take a Wood Hammer and the only other pokemon that is faster is Dugtrio, which can't do much anyways.

Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Tapu Bulu All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 323-381 (81.1 - 95.7%)
+2 252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela: 306-361 (76.8 - 90.7%)
+2 252 Atk Tapu Bulu Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega: 335-395 (92.2 - 108.8%)
+2 252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 252-297 (69.4 - 81.8%)

Rain: Medium

Rain teams are only a problem because Mega-Swampert. I can deal with it if Waterfall doesn't flinch, but Celesteela drops if it does, and after that, I'm in a bad spot. Both Latias and Clefable can tank an Ice Punch/Waterfall respectively, but they aren't really doing much back. The main way I deal with this is by trying to get T-Spikes up as early as possible and playing extremely safe with Celesteela and Toxapex.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Celesteela in Rain: 187-222 (46.9 - 55.7%)
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega: 170-202 (46.8 - 55.6%)
252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Rain: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%)

Mega-Charizard X: Medium

As you can tell from the team composition, this thing is a problem IF it gets free set-up. Generally, to beat Zard, I have to sack Toxapex by spamming Haze and then use Dugtrio to revenge kill. Being that Pex is Specially Defensive, it doesn't eat a +1 Dragon Claw, and not much else can stop it. Clefable is set-up fodder if it carries Roost and Tyranitar can take a hit, but only if it is still at full. Playing this is a guessing game of what the set is, and after that, it is trying to minimize loses. The biggest issue with Zard-X is that if I sack my Pex, their Greninja just runs through my team unless I play like a God.

Calcs:
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 177-208 (58.2 - 68.4%)
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 235-277 (65 - 76.7%)

Volcarona: Medium

Looking at my team, it is pretty easy to see why this is a threat. Obviously, if rocks are up, the problem is mitigated, but who doesn't run a Volcarona team with reliable hazard removal? The biggest problem is Psychium-Z, as it will OHKO Toxapex at +1. Even without a Z-move, Psychic still dents Toxapex, and without passive recovery, will eventually beat Toxapex. (Haze-Recover vs. Quiver-Psychic) Tyranitar can take a +1 Bug Buzz, but only if it is at full health. Dugtrio can snipe it with a Z-EQ, but it has to be at neutral speed. Clefable is just set up fodder and Latias dies to Bug Buzz, which has become more common. Against Volcarona, like with Zard-X, it is a bit of a guessing game. (I will mention that non-Bug Buzz Volc is set up fodder for Latias, so keep that in mind)

Calcs:
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 170-202 (55.9 - 66.4%)
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 330-390 (108.5 - 128.2%)
252 Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 348-411 (111.8 - 132.1%)

Tapu Koko: Medium

The biggest problem I have with this thing is that I don't have good electric switch-ins. My only immunity is Dugtrio, which then gets outsped and U-Turned on, while Latias has to either eat a Dazzling Gleam or also take a U-Turn. Koko 2HKOs Clefable with Electric Terrain is up and can whittle down Tyranitar through Volt Switch or U-Turn as well. This thing doesn't sweep like Bulu, but it is a huge annoyance to deal with unless I get T-Spikes and rocks up.

Calcs:
252 SpA Magnet Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar: 111-132 (32.5 - 38.7%)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 150-176 (41.3 - 48.4%)
252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar in Electric Terrain: 363-427 (106.4 - 125.2%)
252 Atk Tapu Koko U-turn vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega: 122-144 (33.6 - 39.6%)
Ash-Greninja: Low

Similar to Swampert, but less threatening at first. If I can keep Greninja from nabbing a kill, Toxapex keeps it under control. Of course, that is relying on Dark Pulse not flinching, but in the case that it does, I can generally pivot into Tyranitar and Pursuit for damage or Clefable and Soft-Boiled. Also, if Latias gets up 2 calm minds by the time Greninja switches in, it can 1v1 Greninja, again, under the assumption that flinches don't ruin your day.

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. +2 248 HP / 0 SpD Latias-Mega: 116-140 (31.9 - 38.5%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 93-111 (30.5 - 36.5%)

Terrain + Hawlucha: Low

This thing is just an annoyance for the team. If Clefable and Latias aren't at or near full, they both drop to a +2 Acrobatics. Celesteela can play mindgames with Protect vs. High Jump Kick, and Toxapex can Haze, but late game, this thing is a dangerous sweeper.

Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega: 267-315 (73.5 - 86.7%)
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 216-255 (71 - 83.8%)
+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 273-322 (69.2 - 81.7%)

I would also like to note that if Hawlucha is at full, Latias doesn't kill with a Thunderbolt

0 SpA Latias-Mega Thunderbolt vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 252-298 (78 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Importable

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Thunderbolt

Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Dugtrio (M) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Screech
- Earthquake

Toxapex (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Knock Off

Conclusion

All in all, I have found this team to be extremely fun and very consistent. I have won a few tournaments in the OU room just by spamming this team, and it worked me up to the 1800's on the ladder. Despite that, this team does require a lot of forethought and prediction so it takes a bit to get used to it. I will also say that you get the best warm, fuzzy feeling when you load up this team and see SPL stall on the other side of the field. This team absolutely rips most stall teams apart if played decently, so its a good way to pick up your spirits. Hope you enjoy and keep on rolling.

Last edited:
just wondering why not ice beam over stored power as bolt/beam is nearly perfect coverage for most of the meta

DNNP

just wondering why not ice beam over stored power as bolt/beam is nearly perfect coverage for most of the meta
Stored Power allows Latias to win calm mind wars and, in general, break through stall. Ice beam and thunderbolt don't beat Chansey, unaware Clef, or things like Magearna. Since I am not putting any investment in special attack, I am assuming Latias will be at +2 or +3 before I start clicking attacks. At that point, it is more valuable to have Stored Power than ice beam. I have considered it though, as it allows for Latias to kill things like Garchomp or Zygarde immediately, but I am not bringing Latias into those anyways.

Great and solid team, man. Congratulations also for the work. It is seen that it has that touch of Oras but adapted to SM. Well, I think you could add to Volcarona in threats and more if you take Psychium z just for Toxapex. Otherwise the team in general is very good. Nice MLatias set, Stored is hard.

DNNP

Great and solid team, man. Congratulations also for the work. It is seen that it has that touch of Oras but adapted to SM. Well, I think you could add to Volcarona in threats and more if you take Psychium z just for Toxapex. Otherwise the team in general is very good. Nice MLatias set, Stored is hard.
Thanks, and definitely. Volcarona is a need-to-mention threat.

Last edited:
Hey solid team, I would also have suggested ice Beam on Latias but if Stores Power works then it is fine. Also you could use Earthquake on your T-Tar > Superpower just to hit Toxapex and Heatran harder for example. Superpower isn't a bad option this is just optional.

Also Arena Trap is currently being suspect tested so if it is banned which I most likely see happening you may want to look into an alternative Pokemon.

Edit: You could run Mantine instead if Arena trap goes. As it is an answer to Volcarona, Greninja, Zard-X to an extent and walls Swampert-Mega. Also just improves your Rain match up in general and gives defog support

DNNP

Hey solid team, I would also have suggested ice Beam on Latias but if Stores Power works then it is fine. Also you could use Earthquake on your T-Tar > Superpower just to hit Toxapex and Heatran harder for example. Superpower isn't a bad option this is just optional.

Also Arena Trap is currently being suspect tested so if it is banned which I most likely see happening you may want to look into an alternative Pokemon.

Edit: You could run Mantine instead if Arena trap goes. As it is an answer to Volcarona, Greninja, Zard-X to an extent and walls Swampert-Mega. Also just improves your Rain match up in general and gives defog support
I do like the Mantine option, as I have been debating what to replace Duggy with if (once) it is banned. Excadrill came to mind, but Mantine does sounds nice to help with rain. And EQ is another option for Ttar, as I find I don't really click Superpower anyways

I do like the Mantine option, as I have been debating what to replace Duggy with if (once) it is banned. Excadrill came to mind, but Mantine does sounds nice to help with rain. And EQ is another option for Ttar, as I find I don't really click Superpower anyways
Yep Earthquake may be more useful for you to hit Heatran and OHKO, the only issue with Mantine is you would be more Tapu Koko weak as you lose your ground immunity, as well as not really having a good Koko switch in anyway. But Mantine does solve a lot of your weaknesses. It's something you will need to test. Good Luck :)

DNNP

Yep Earthquake may be more useful for you to hit Heatran and OHKO, the only issue with Mantine is you would be more Tapu Koko weak as you lose your ground immunity, as well as not really having a good Koko switch in anyway. But Mantine does solve a lot of your weaknesses. It's something you will need to test. Good Luck :)
I think if/when Dugtrio is banned, I might replace Dugtrio with Excadrill and Toxapex with Mantine. Sand Rush Excadrill covers the Koko weakness and helps with Bulu and ZardX, while Mantine covers the other threats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)