move 2: Clanging Scales
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Flamethrower / Close Combat
item: Throat Spray / Sitrus Berry / Roseli Berry
ability: Bulletproof / Soundproof
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
With its newfound signature move in Clangorous Soul, Kommo-o finds itself as a special sweeper. At the cost of sacrificing 33% of its own health, Clangorous Soul raises all of Kommo’s stats by one stage. Clanging Scales is another one of Kommo-o’s signature moves, being a powerful, reliable STAB that also hits through Substitute. Flash Cannon is Kommo-o’s strongest way of hitting the Fairy types who otherwise would not mind coming in on any of its attacks. Max Steelspike also gives Kommo-o a defense boost, allowing it to take on more physical hits. Flamethrower gives Kommo-o reliable coverage against Steel types which both resist its STAB and Flash Cannon. Close Combat, coupled with a Naive Nature and an EV spread of 28 Atk / 252 SpA / 228 Spe, can be used to give Kommo-o a better matchup vs Normal-types like Snorlax and Dark types like Tyranitar.

Kommo-o has a few options that it can run as an item choice. Throat Spray activates whenever Kommo-o uses a sound move, and this fortunately works with Clangorous Soul, raising Kommo-o’s Special Attack by two stages and every other stat by one stage, giving it the immediate firepower it needs. Clanging Scales can also activate Throat Spray, which can be useful if Kommo-o finds itself in a situation where it cannot setup with Clangorous Soul. Sitrus Berry gives Kommo-o a bit more longevity, which is notable since it will commonly be sacrificing 33% of its health due to Clangorous Soul. Roseli Berry helps Kommo-o survive some unboosted Fairy attacks like a Play Rough from Mimikyu and a Dazzling Gleam from Togekiss. Bulletproof is the preferred ability for Kommo-o, negating key moves such as Shadow Ball from Dragapult and Ferrothorn’s Gyro Ball. Soundproof also has merit in blocking Hyper Voice from Sylveon. Do note that these pokemon can Dynamax and ignore both of these abilities, so Kommo-o is not always completely safe if Dynamax is in play. Max Speed EVs with a Timid nature allows Kommo-o to outspeed Dragapult after a Clangorous Soul, while maximizing damage output with max Special Attack EVs.

Kommo-o has a very hard time sweeping opposing teams if there is a Fairy-type present on them, so teammates that can handle these threats are greatly appreciated. Steel-types such as Excadrill and Ferrothorn take on Fairy-types well in addition to being able to set up Stealth Rock to secure some KOs for Kommo-o. Corviknight can also handle Fairy-types well and benefits from Kommo’s presence due to its solid matchup against Rotom-W and Rotom-H. Screens users such as Grimmsnarl give Kommo-o an easier time to set up, while slow pivots like Rotom-W and Rotom-H ease Kommo-o’s way of getting in for a potential sweep. Rotom-H has the benefit of also taking on Fairy-types well which Kommo-o hates, while Rotom-W can lure in Pokemon like Ferrothorn which Kommo-o can set up on freely.

Last edited:
So after looking at nouthuca and finding some top placing teams with Kommo-o on it, there was only 2 teams on there (no surprise to me Kommo-o is kinda bad...) with Kommo-o on it and neither of them ran a set similar to what I have posted above. The two sets on nouthuca were offensive DD (Outrage/Iron Head/Close Combat) which is basically thrift shop Haxorus, so I don't think I should include that in the preview. The other set was Sub/Clangorous Soul/Drain Punch/Thunder Punch.

My question here is if I should include a sub + clangorous soul/belly drum set of any kind onto the preview or is that better saved for a potential future analysis?

I'm also thinking of changing the set I already have in the OP to a more mixed version of it, ditching focus blast for close combat/body press. Thoughts?

Could Aura Sphere work? I find Focus Blast to be too unreliable.
Not really worth it in my experience over the coverage Clanging Scales/Flamethrower/Flash Cannon gives you. It's too weak to do much to ttar and giving up the fire or steel coverage leaves you walled by stuff like Aegislash and most Fairies

Could Aura Sphere work? I find Focus Blast to be too unreliable.
I already updated the OP for Close Combat in favour of Focus Blast since it has been too unreliable in my experience. Aura Sphere is far too weak to the threats it is targeted towards, most notably Tyranitar and Snorlax. Close Combat hits both of those much harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)