Klingklang is BORKE (reached #look I'm cool I can ladder!)

This is a team I had a lot of fun playing with in RU. I built it about a month ago to learn the tier and the process of team building went so much more smoothly than it does in OU for me, I eventually got to the point where every loss I was taking on ladder was because I wasn't playing well enough, and the games were a lot of fun to play. The goal of this team was to build a nice offensive team that could do just that and for a good while it achieved that goal. However, when Aerodactyl and Cresselia came into the tier, at the same time as the usage of Durant and NP Cofagrigus skyrocketed, I found games I couldn't have won just by playing better. Here is the lineup-

Brief Team Building Process-

I originally started the team out as an attempt at dragon spam, with Aggron, Scolipede, a Steel, and Dragons. The dragons were DD Altaria, CB Zweilous, and a couple others I can't remember which is partly why I'm not making a pretty team building picture for it. I attempted bird spam as well which also wasn't satisfying. Moving the dragons around and choosing stronger options that provided resistances is how the team got to where it is now.

@

Ability- Sturdy
Nature- Jolly
EVs- 252 atk, 4 spD, 252 spe
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-Head Smash
-Ice Punch

Yes, this is probably the weirdest set I've ever used in any tier. The idea behind this set was to have an Aerodactyl for my offensive team and this was the most appealing option for me. Sturdy essential gives it a Focus Sash and it has (or had) a reasonably fast Taunt before Qwilfish and Gligar started running so much speed. Taunt is rather valuable still for stopping things like FEARgle from setting up on me early. Head Smash is pretty much Explosion with a Rock Gem, when people see Aggron screwing around with Taunt they never expect to get slammed by the equivalent of a Banded Head Smash. Ice Punch isn't nearly as important as the other moves but it does let me kill slower Gligar and at least hurt Claydol if I need to.

@

Ability- Swarm
Nature- Jolly
-Spikes
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

Why this set isn't seen more is completely beyond me. It's even worse that the analysis doesn't even mention it. What I wanted was another hazard user that could blow up a Claydol and this fit the job perfectly. This thing sets up Spikes blazing quick without being a stupid looking Accelgor, who's name isn't helping it's case at all. Megahorn does satisfying damage to anything that doesn't resist it, and even more so with a Swarm boost. Earthquake and Rock Slide were a great selling point because together they have really good coverage and collectively revenge a ton of threats, including Moltres. Overall, another very useful poke.

@

Ability- Rough Skin
Nature- Adamant
-Taunt
-Outrage
-Superpower
-Sucker Punch

This guy is a boss tank. His goal is to make sure nothing dumb is setting on me early game while blasting with Outrage. Oftentimes this guy breaks down a Regirock or a Rhydon while preventing them from setting up SR. It can take a decent hit and can give a great one back with Outrage; only Gligar and Cressy (fuck you) were avoiding the 2HKO while recovering off the damage. Superpower has perfect coverage alongside it and breaks down some of the problematic walls for this team while Sucker Punch serves as valuable priority.

@

Ability- Pressure
Nature- Adamant
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge
-Extremespeed
-Protect

Entei is definitely one of the best overall pokemon in the tier. Because of this I didn't want it killing itself from Flare Blitz, or even dying in the first place. Leftovers combined with Protect is an underrated source of recovery IMO, especially when a pokemon switches out as you Protect and you can grab another one for free. It also lets me scout Choiced mons and ends up doing a ton of tanking duty for my team. For example, this is my counter to opposing Entei. Besides this is does basic Entei stuff which I'm sure you're all familiar with.

@

Ability- Compoundeyes
Nature- Timid
EVs- 4 def, 252 spA, 252 spe
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Ice

Galvantula is yet another boss at what it does. I don't understand why so many people are using Rotom as their offensive Electric-type, this thing is so much better! This was originally a Life Orb set which was capable of sweeping much more easily for obvious reasons, but I kept getting 6-0ed by Scarf Krookodile with EQ so I switched to Air Balloon. In the end I decided I was too weak to weather boosted sweepers, the reason I wanted to venture from OU in the first place -__-. I did get a bunch of surprise KOes on things like Durant and Aerodactyl that just think they're so fast. Hidden Power Ice is there because there really isn't much I can do to hurt Gligar with this team. I doubted Scarfing this thing in the first place but it has easily proven it's worth.

@

Ability- Don't even know
Nature- Naughty
EVs- 132 HP, 252 atk, 124 spe
-Shift Gear
-Gear Grind
-Return
-Hidden Power Ground

Easily the most underrated pokemon based on what I've heard in IRC. In the lategame this guy takes over with it's awesome triple boosting move, great STAB and decent coverage. It outspeeds pretty much anything you can think of so I haven't bothered tweaking the standard EV spread because it's bulk is very nice for Honchkrow and other birds. So many times Klingklang has just swept a team clean, it even pulled me out of a 5-1 disadvantage during this team's strong run for the win. I originally used Substitute to avoid getting seeded by Ferroseed, but I found it was absolutely not worth getting destroyed by Magneton, especially when Gear Grinding makes you take Iron Barb damage twice (user Dittocrow will tell you all about this).

There's not much else to say about this team, I'm happy with it as is and is currently my 2nd favorite creation. If there are actually any people out there who would like to rate it the biggest threats to this team I have found are definitely Rhydon of all kinds and NP Cofagrigus.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
Hey yee I strongly suggest putting bak substitute on klinklang. Using a klinklang my self I feel substitute is invaluable. You probly shouldn't even have klinklang out if your opponent has a magneton. Substitute let's you get the upper hand when you force a switch and you can set up a sub. Substitute also can sometimes give you a free move if your opponent goes for a t wave or wow. It also can help against stall teams that carry weak attackers. Besides magneton isn't super popular.

Have you tried using life orb on Entei. Although the passive recovery from leftovers is great it won't have enough power to do real damage. It makes dealing with mixpedo a hell of alot easier with LO. Since without lo e speed doesn't get the ohko and mixpedo can do a number on the rest of your team. If you decide to use lo u should get rid of protect for hp grass so omastar's and quagsires can't set up on you.

Other than that just watch out for mixpedos carrying ice beam because it can shred through your team hope I helped!

Also s&d scolie with a focus sash is much more underrated than klinklang. (+2 swarm boosted stab megahorn hurts) Klinklang is walled by too many pokes but is still underrated.

Edit meant to say using a klinklang myself ;)

Being a klinklang my self
In any case I can't provide a rate, because my knowledge regarding the tier is minimal at best. (I'm trying to get into it so I'm reading RMTs and found this :] ) Since you mention Rhydon in your threat-list, I'm going to throw out hp grass on Entei. Obviously this is just cut and paste from the analysis, and most people will probably see it coming, but at least it gives it less to come in on. Very cool team, sorry I had essentially nothing to add. I'll definitely take Klingklang out for a spin sometime.

Thanks guys, lefties Entei has been one of my favorite things to use but I won't say I haven't ever missed HP Grass. I like the durability of it with lefties and usually have plenty of power so I might miss a lot with LO but I'll try it out!

Wassup yee. I don't normally rate teams but I really enjoyed reading your team! I like the use of your underrated movesets, they definitely make the team stronger. Anyways, I'll try my best to rate:

First, I don't really see Cofagrigus destroying your entire team. Druddigon can easily play around it by taking a hit and playing mind games with Sucker Punch. Because NP Cofagrigus lacks recovery, you can easily wear it down with the rest of your team.

I agree with the above post about adding HP Grass to Entei. You could even try HP Ice if you wanted to in order to catch Gligar off guard, but Ice only does 36.23 - 42.99% (with a non-hindering nature) to Rhydon. Then again, your team can easily wear Rhydon down since 5/6 of the team has a super effective move to hit it.

I was considering a CM Entei instead to make it harder for Cofagrigus to sweep, but I'm not sure how that would work seeing as this team is more physically offensive oriented :s.

Lastly, I would recommend changing Hidden Power Ground on Klinklang to Substitute. It really helps you avoid status and stuff like Leech Seed which makes it easier to sweep. Besides, Magneton isn't that common and you will be able to play around it if it comes up in the team preview. Also if I kept subbing on your Ferroseed, I could have gained enough HP to live the Iron Barbs damage while Ferro can't touch me :p It's worth using Substitute if you don't forget about Iron Barbs lol.

Anyways nice team. Klinklang is definitely underrated and is not a bad Pokemon (@ Omicron >:O)

P.S. Congrats on making the Council!

Thanks for the rate DittoCrow :)

It looks like the general consensus in the thread is HP Grass on Entei and sub over HP Ground on on Klingklang so I'll have to see how those changes work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)