XY NU Kabutops has dropped, praise rainspam

my thoughts on kabutops dropping (yes i know this is the song for the NP thread, those of you who actually listen to the np songs, you will get this further stuck in your head)

Well, going like pretty much most RMTs for NU and using rain i am so original lol
(also you should use different nicknames if you use this team because most of these suck XD)
At A Glance:

The Team:

muh swagger (Liepard) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Probably one of the most reliable rain setters (Next to Uxie/Accelgor) and serves as my lead. Thunder Wave is a last-ditch effort in case something looks like it has a chance of sweeping my team (Slurpuff threatens this team), and Taunt just provides momentum in some cases in the lead match up.
EDIT: Changed Taunt to Encore, as even if they get up SR, I have Spin on Kabutops

(I like BW sprite better)
spin me round bby (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND LIKE A RECORD BABY (dang it Raseri this is stuck in my head now) Jokes aside, this is probably the star of my team: SD Kabutops. Knock Off is great coverage, and while Kabutops can't beat Gurdurr/Ferroseed 1v1, Knock Off hits them on the switch and knocks off their Eviolite, allowing Jynx and Ludicolo to beat them from there. Waterfall and Rock Slide are the STAB moves, which provide decent coverage alongside Knock Off.

Walter White (Uxie) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpD / 224 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Yawn

My secondary rain inducer, Uxie is an overall great support mon (Eat your heart out Mesprit) and (sort of) pivot. I run 0 Attack because A) U-Turn is just for momentum, like setting up Rain and then going into Kabutops/Ludicolo to sweep/clean and B) Foul Play damage. Memento also helps, as when Uxie is basically dead weight, it at least has some use (forces switches and allows setup) in Memento. 224 Speed is enough to outspeed Jolly Feraligatr (by 2 points lel) and get off a move.
EDIT: Changed U-Turn to Stealth Rock, as it lets me take on Vivillon without having to use Cradily.

(based pineapple)
DANCE WATER DANCE (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
Probably my second most important Pokemon and sweeper, as boasting great coverage and decent stats makes up for a great mon. This eliminates Feraligatr (a threat once Cradily is dead) and helps against Slurpuff and Gurdurr. Focus Blast eliminates Steelix, Pawniard, and Ferroseed (which walls this team) and Ice Beam is great coverage on any water pokemon. One of the most important, gets past most of these threats I mentioned.

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Defog
Thx Brawlfest for suggesting this, Swanna is another notable rain abuser, as Hurricane hits more than you could think (and hits Ferroseed surprisingly hard), and Rest gives it reliable recovery with Hydration (you could run Roost) and Defog lets me keep hazard control without contributing to more Kabutops 4mss This is like Ludicolo, covering most of the threats I mentioned (bar Slurpuff and Gatr).

The Queen (Jynx) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

My backup sweeper, Jynx is pretty good and fits on rain teams well due to Dry Skin as well. I am considering running LO over Sash, but idk right now. Another reason why I run Focus Blast on Ludicolo, Ferroseed walls this as well.

Threats:

Walls most of my team excluding Ludicolo.

This can easily sweep me, especially with Cradily gone.

Can take multiple hits from my Pokemon and hits them all super effectively except Ludicolo.

Least threatening, but can easily sweep once Cradily and Ludicolo are down. (Uxie outspeeding only matters in the case of going for Memento), and also uses my rain against me.

So, what do you think of this team (my first RMT!)

Importable:

Walter White (Uxie) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpD / 224 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- U-turn
- Memento
- Yawn

spin me round bby (Kabutops) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

DANCE WATER DANCE (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

muh swagger (Liepard) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

The Queen (Jynx) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Lovely Kiss

PU? idgaf (Swanna) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Oh and btw I'll probably use most (if not all) of your suggestions :)

Last edited:
Hi there, cool team! There honestly isn't much to change about rain offense teams, your included, as they are both a standard and reliable archetype. This said, your team loses tons of momentum from Cradily, and the entire purpose of a rain team is to hit as hard and quickly as you can. Outside of that, this team is pretty good albeit cookie cutter, so good job!

Simply put, you have too few abusers and too much loss of momentum for cradily. As a result I reccomend you run Life Orb Swanna over it. Swanna is a powerful wallbreaker that every rain team should consider, as under Rain it has a 100% accurate and incredibly powerful hurricane to smash Grass types, letting other rain team members sweep. Furthermore, it has great synergy typically with other Rain members, and also checks some of your team's "threats" including Gurdurr, which it easily beats 1v1.

Minor Changes:
4 Def > 4 HP on all of your pokemon to minimize Life Orb / SR Damage.
Liepard: Encore + U-Turn > Thunder Wave + Taunt. Rain Teams get set up all over if they don't have rain up, so using Encore can help to deter such and is crucial. U-turn brings pokes in safely after a setup.
Kabutops: Rapid Spin > Knock Off as you do not want Jynx's Sash Broken, to be pressured by TSpikes, etc.
Uxie: Stealth Rock > Memento or U-Turn, or else Sashed pokemon waste your rain turns and potentially kill members unnecessarily.
Ludicolo: Rain Dance > Focus Blast, as FBlast is a complete waste of a slot on Ludicolo, as everything it wants to hit with that gets it harder by Hydro anyways.

Swanna @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Surf / Scald
- Roost / Rest
- Substitute / Rain Dance

Hi there, cool team! There honestly isn't much to change about rain offense teams, your included, as they are both a standard and reliable archetype. This said, your team loses tons of momentum from Cradily, and the entire purpose of a rain team is to hit as hard and quickly as you can. Outside of that, this team is pretty good albeit cookie cutter, so good job!

Simply put, you have too few abusers and too much loss of momentum for cradily. As a result I reccomend you run Life Orb Swanna over it. Swanna is a powerful wallbreaker that every rain team should consider, as under Rain it has a 100% accurate and incredibly powerful hurricane to smash Grass types, letting other rain team members sweep. Furthermore, it has great synergy typically with other Rain members, and also checks some of your team's "threats" including Gurdurr, which it easily beats 1v1.

Minor Changes:
4 Def > 4 HP on all of your pokemon to minimize Life Orb / SR Damage.
Liepard: Encore + U-Turn > Thunder Wave + Taunt. Rain Teams get set up all over if they don't have rain up, so using Encore can help to deter such and is crucial. U-turn brings pokes in safely after a setup.
Kabutops: Rapid Spin > Knock Off as you do not want Jynx's Sash Broken, to be pressured by TSpikes, etc.
Uxie: Stealth Rock > Memento or U-Turn, or else Sashed pokemon waste your rain turns and potentially kill members unnecessarily.
Ludicolo: Rain Dance > Focus Blast, as FBlast is a complete waste of a slot on Ludicolo, as everything it wants to hit with that gets it harder by Hydro anyways.

Swanna @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Surf / Scald
- Roost / Rest
- Substitute / Rain Dance
Didn't actually know liepard got encore, Thanks for the help! The only reason I ran Fblast was because otherwise (even if I do run Swanna) Ferroseed walls this team completely (nvm, 252 SpA Life Orb Swanna Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 134-160 (45.8 - 54.7%) -- 55.1% chance to 2HKO)

brb changing all of these

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Kabutops really has leeway to try and fit Rapid Spin on its set since it already has enough 4MSS trying to fit SD and all the coverage it needs. If you want to fit some sort of hazard remover on your team then Defog > Ice Beam on Swanna is probably a better alternative since Ice is fairly trivial coverage outside of Altaria (which is already taken advantage of by like half your team). Even then though I would be somewhat cautious about it since it drains a lot of momentum, which your team really doesn't enjoy losing. Kabutops can then opt to run something like Knock Off or perhaps Aqua Jet over Rapid Spin with former crippling counters and the latter beating out opposing priority (and it's also useful for KOing random sweepers without relying on Swift Swim). Also, Kabutops really needs the extra power of Stone Edge over Rock Slide to beat stuff like bulky Grasses (for example, a boosted SE OHKOes Vileplume while RS doesn't).

Also just saying, but I really don't see how your team is all that weak to Slurpuff given the fact that there isn't a single Pokemon that's actually going to give it a free turn. Feraligatr is in a similar boat since the only set I see as particularly threatening is the DD set, which gets almost no opportunities to set up. If you're really that paranoid then you should just use max HP on Uxie which lets you take it's hits much better to successfully get off a Yawn against it. I'm really not seeing the point of max SpD anyway since 32 HP / 252 SpD has almost the exact same bulk as 252 HP / 32 SpD, js

This next change is more or less down to preference but I think Ludicolo would really appreciate the ability to manually set up rain itself so I'd at least consider it over Focus Blast. If you're worried about Ferroseed you could just use Focus Blast on Jynx instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)