Kabigon and Yadoran: Partners in Crime

Hey guys! This is Ernesto reporting with his first RMT in Smogon. Ever since I went back to playing Pokemon (with the introduction of BW2 and the popularization of Pokemon Showdown!), I've been playing in the UnderUsed tier almost full time, though battling in OU in challenges such as The Dark Horse Project or the new Defense of the Titans Project.
When I played RBY and GSC around 10-12 years ago, there was this two-Pokemon core that I always enjoyed using: Kabigon and Yadoran, more precisely Snorlax and Slowbro—or as I like to call them, the Blob and the Bro. I grew apart from Pokemon during my teenage years, but for some reason I decided to go back to playing it. It took me quite a while to get accustomed to all the new changes, since I'd only played RSE and FRLG for a little time, so even the EV/IV thing was complicated to understand for me (at least I knew Pokemon had abilities, lol).
When I returned to Pokemon, I decided to try out UU, since it had many of the Pokes I knew well from a long time ago and it felt 'easier'. Of course, the first team I made wasn't good, but after a couple of changes I made it work. It had CM Slowbro, Snorlax, Roserade, Scarf Rotom-H, Hitmontop, and Aerial Ace Gligar to deal with Heracross, who had just risen to extreme levels of popularity with the release of Moxie. It was nice, and I managed to score many Calm Mind sweeps with Slowbro, but I felt I needed something else, so I made this team which rose from the previous one and was fairly successful. I don't have any peak showcasing it, but I can attest to its effectiveness. The reason I'm posting this now is because I'm finally retiring it to use and arguably weaker, albeit much more fun to play with, team (come back to me in a few weeks and I might present to you another RMT, lol).
I decided to give this team a second go, with a few changes to make the most of it. Here's the updated final version.

Anyway, here's the team. It's bulky offense (which is probably the best team archetype to use right now) with no real final purpose, any more than to score a victory.

At a glance:

Of course, this team would be centered around the tanky core of Slowbro and Snorlax. For this particular team archetype, I decided that the best sets to use would be the Choice sets.

Anyone that has played with this core can tell what its biggest weaknesses are. Stallbreaker Crobat rounds out the tanky core, being able to threaten Heracross and Sleep Powder Roserade, while also preventing hazards against common Bronzong leads (number one in Lead Usage!!). It also stops Gligar cold, which is great considering how resilient that silly thing is.

Since I was using U-turn instead of Super Fang, I thought it would be nice to partner it with Bulky Attacker Rotom-Heat. I used max/max Timid instead of the listed spread (which I'm trying to change as I write this), since I figured that outspeeding Non-Choice Heracross, Nidoking and Timid Togekiss was more important than taking a few hits a little better.

Now, since my previous team had used Roserade, which was useful due to having Aromatherapy to cure Snorlax and Slowbro from status, but was really lacking defensively, I decided to take a more defensive approach for my next pick. With Regenerator out, Amoonguss suddenly became really viable. I'd used it in OU and it hadn't failed me, so I figured I'd give it a try. It also formed the infamous FWG core with Slowbro and Rotom-H.

Finally, I decided I needed a Fighting-type. I wanted to try out Scarf MoxieCross, LO Mienshao, and BU Scrafty, but my team needed Stealth Rocks and I didn't want to change another Pokemon. So I went with Mixed Cobalion, and I gotta say it hasn't dissapointed me. It sets up Rocks, tanks many physical hits, and has Volt Switch for momentum, so why should it?

Now my team was pretty well-rounded, by I felt as if I lacked a clear endgame plan. That's why I finally decided to drop Cobalion for Scarf Heracross, and switch Amoonguss for Nidoqueen as my SR setter.

In detail:

Slowbro (M) @

• Scald
  • Psyshock
  • Fire Blast
  • Grass Knot
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 128 SpA / 12 Spe
Trait: Regenerator
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

Slowbro is simply my favorite Pokemon. He surely changed a lot since RBY, where it could easily sweep with Amnesia backed up by great defenses and paralysis. BW, however, gave Slowbro three extremely useful gifts, two of which make him stand out from its fellow Bulky Waters: Scald, Psyshock and Regenerator, arguably one of the best abilities in the game. With Choice Specs, Slowbro has a ton of firepower on his STAB moves, and with great coverage options in Fire Blast and Grass Knot, little can actually switch into it. I chose Scald over Surf because I prefer the burn chance to a bit more power, and it stacks well with the fact that he's my go-to physical attacker switch-in most of the times.
0 Attack IVs to minimize self-inflicted confusion and Foul Play damage, while the EV spread makes Slowbro survive two Flare Blitzes from LO Darmanitan after SR, which is a big deal since Slowbro's the only one on my team that can switch into Darm. He can still be 2HKOed by Band Victini's V-Create, though, but that's easily worked around – plus Victini has Bolt Strike now, so it doesn't make a big difference. A Modest nature makes good use of Slowbro's nice 100 base Special Attack in combination with Specs. 12 Speed EVs allow it to go before other base 30s that invest in Speed.

Snorlax (F) @

• Body Slam
  • Pursuit
  • Earthquake
  • Crunch / Rest
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 88 SpD / 12 Spe
Trait: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

Good ol' Snorlax. Choice Band really makes her stand out as a defensive Pokemon, not the fact that she learns Whirlind. Imo, mono-attacking Snorlax is a waste of her potential, and being at the mercy of OTR Cofagrigus sweeping your team because you're banking on a 33% chance that Sleep Talk will actually do something isn't good. Curselax is great, but hard to perform with the amazing amount of Fighting-types in the tier, so I prefer the raw power of CB. I choce Body Slam over Return for the same reason I chose Scald on Slowbro, the 30% paralysis chance is too good to pass up. The rest of the moves are standard, Pursuit OHKOes fleeing Chandelure, Earthquake wrecks Raikou and is useful for predicted Cobalion or Bisharp switch-ins, while the last move was taken over by Crunch. I initially had Rest, but weakness to OTR Cofag after Sleep Clause has been activated made me change that. Crunch leaves me without recovery in the long run, but since it also hit NP Mew harder than anything else I don't plan on changing it.
The EV spread maximizes Snorlax's offensive presence, while I chose to allow it to survive two Adamant Flare Blitzes from Scarf Darmanitan after SR. 12 Speed EVs are thre to get the jump on opposing base 30s that invest in Speed.

Crobat @

• Brave Bird
  • Taunt
  • Roost
  • U-turn / Super Fang
EVs: 168 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 144 Spe
Trait: Inner Focus
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

Stallbreaker Crobat is amazing, kokoloko was right. Brave Bird is quite powerful, Taunt is extremely useful for lead matchups (though it puts me in a tough spot against Rhyperior leads, since I can't tell if it's gonna Stealth Rock or Stone Edge me, forcing me to U-turn out), and Roost gives it a recovery move to salvage that SR weakness. The last slot is usually U-turn, but Super Fang surely is useful to beat Gligar more reliably.
The EVs are the standard for the Stallbreaking set. I believe 192 Attack EVs guarantee the 2HKO on 252/0 Scrafty at +1 after SR, since I know I read it somewhere. 4 Special Defense EVs to give Porygon-Z an Attack boost instead of a Defense one, and 144 Speed EVs let me speed creep on opposing speed creeping Crobat (I take no credit for that spread, since kokoloko was the first one to post it in his great Strobe team). Inner Focus is the ability of choice, to mess with Ambipom and Mienshao leads, which are more common than Screens users for some reason. It also prevents Togekiss from sweeping my team if it managed to Thunder Wave it. Crobat is just so nice to have, allowing me to beat Heracross and Roserade with ease, and rounding out a core that is probably the best three-Pokemon one in UU.

Rotom-H @

• Overheat
  • Volt Switch
  • Pain Split
  • Trick
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Trait: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

This is quite an uncommon set, again one that I don't take credit for, but I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only ones who used it in UU. The idea came from a shrang post in Rotom-H's OU update, due to being able to cripple Tyranitar and take Eviolite away from Chansey, for example, and I figured 'why not?'. It could work in UU due to Snorlax, Rhyperior, Porygon2, Flygon, and Swampert being common switchins to Rotom-H, none of them liking being tricked a Flame Orb. It combines the ability to Trick a Choice item with the ability to burn a Pokemon with Will-O-Wisp, while not being able to heal off by Resting or using Aromatherapy. This set is pretty new, and I haven't used it as much because it happened at about the same time I decided to make a new team more fun to use, but it works great in theory, and is quite solid in practice. You should try it out, guys. Or you could run Will-O-Wisp and Leftovers, which is cool too. Overheat is the main STAB move, Volt Switch to run away from threats while harming Water-types not called Swampert, and Pain Split gives it a way of recovery.
The EV spread is pretty clear, allowing me to get the jump on non-Scarf Heracross, Nidoking, and Timid Togekiss, along with Chandelure and Kingdra variants that for some reason decide to run +Speed natures. I prefer it over the currently standard one, since Honchkrow is gonna Sucker Punch you anyway so I didn't really see the point (and I'm not sure if the HP value accomplished anything worthy of mention).

Nidoqueen (F) @

• Stealth Rock
  • Earth Power
  • Fire Blast
  • Ice Beam
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Trait: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

Ever since Stealth Rock and Sheer Force became a legal combination on Nidoqueen, she suddenly became a much better Pokemon to my eyes. That ridiculous power that actually makes stall unviable in RU—moreso now that Cress has been banned once again—combined with good natural bulk to be a great Heracross and Raikou check, really makes it hard not to use her on my teams. While she wasn't my first choice at the time I made this team, it suddenly became apparent that I simply couldn't pass on her qualities. She's currently my SR setter in three different teams, and even though she isn't that great defensively as one could think, she more than makes up for it with her ability to nail me one kill minimum in each game I play. Earth Power is a great STAB, hitting everything that doesn't resist it hard, while Ice Beam takes care of those annoying Xatu and Flygon that think they can switch in on me. Fire Blast is there almost solely for Heracross, but it also helps me get a stronger hit on Grass-types and Bronzong.
The EVs aren't set in stone, since I usually alternate to outspeed 8 Speed Suicune and Gligar. However, since I needed a more solid benchmark, I use 176 Speed EVs to outspeed 20 Speed Xatu and KO it to get a free SR. Max Special Attack Modest for more offensive presence, and the rest in HP for overall bulk

Heracross (M) @

• Megahorn
  • Close Combat
  • Stone Edge
  • Earthquake / Aerial Ace
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

Scarf MoxieCross. Even though I'd at first gone with Cobalion as my Fighting-type of choice, I realized Heracross is just too good on this metagame. Even when people are trying hard to counter it, Heracross is simply the best revenge killer. And I use it mainly for that, although sometimes I change Rotom-H's item and use SubSalac Heracross to sweep lategame. Still, since I don't have a main goal with this team, I prefer the usefulness of the Choice Scarf to get me some kills and threaten with a sweep. This thing is just so good at tanking neutral hits, that I can actually use it to revenge kill +1 Raikou behind a Substitute and SB Sharpedo, two of the best lategame cleaners in UU. Heracross has an almost guaranteed survival to a +1 Thunderbolt or an LO Waterfall after SR, discounting parahax and flinchhax, so it can be a failsafe if for some reason I can't beat those two by normal means. Megahorn is its best STAB move, having a nice snowballing effect when it doesn't miss, Close Combat is secondary but I use it when I can't afford to miss, Stone Edge offers it great coverage in exchange for being one of the least reliable moves ever made, and Earthquake gives me a better move for revenging Chandelure, -1 Victini, and Adamant Darmanitan. Aerial Ace is another option, but I've found myself in worse positions when I had to rely on Stone Edge than when I had no other way to beat opposing Heracross. Besides, between Crobat, Nidoqueen, and Slowbro, I'm rather safe against it.
I chose a Jolly nature to get the jump on Adamant Scarf Darmanitan and Krookodile, as well as Modest Porygon-Z and +1 DD Adamant Kingdra, so that I could revenge them more easily. Although Moxie isn't set in stone, I've found that the ability to get a sweep lategame is most of the times nicer than having an immunity to status

Amoonguss @

• Spore
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Seed Bomb
  • Clear Smog
EVs: 248 HP / 56 SpA / 204 SpD
Nature: Sassy (+SpD, -Spe)

Regenerator Amoonguss. I guess you can see why I use this set, but I'll explain it. Spore is its main move, allowing to cripple a Pokemon. Sludge Bomb is the chosen STAB move, hitting Roserade that try to absorb Spore reasonably hard. Seed Bomb and Clear Smog act as a failsafe against SubCM Raikou if Snorlax is in no condition to fight for some reason, Seed Bomb always breaking its Substitutes and Clear Smog erasing its boosts (why doesn't this thing learn Poison Jab? T_T).
The EV spread is a standard one, I'm not really sure what it accomplishes so it can be subject to change. The problem with this set is that I'm suddenly susceptible to burns and confusion/Foul Play damage, while also making me slower than opposing Slowbro, which isn't particularly nice. Still, I prefer it to being swept by the more common SubCM Raikou — I don't want to have to sacrifice Crobat in order to prevent it from boosting.

Cobalion @

• Stealth Rock
  • Close Combat / Sacred Sword
  • Hidden Power [Ice]
  • Volt Switch
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Trait: Justified
EVs: 200 Atk / 76 SpA / 232 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe, -SpD)

Cobalion is my Fighting-type of choice, mostly due to being able to set up Stealth Rock, but also having usable Special Attack to run a Mixed set. It's a more offensive version of the Utility set, having nice natural physical bulk. Close Combat is the main choice for a STAB move, but Sacred Sword can be used if you don't want to lower its usable Defense stat. Hidden Power Ice 2HKOes Gligar, which is pretty cool, and Volt Switch rounds out the set, hitting Slowbro super-effectively on its weaker defensive stat (take that, U-turning Mienshao!) and forming a nice VoltTurn core along with Crobat and Rotom-H. It's still the shakiest member of my team, though, but I feel that changing it would disrupt the synergy that I managed to build. If you choose to use another Fighting-type, the either Rotom-H or Amoonguss should be replaced by Rhyperior or Nidoqueen, which would change a lot.
As previously stated, it's a more offensive version of the Utility set, having just enough Speed to outrun Scarf-less +ve base 105s, that is Mienshao, Zoroark, and Mismagius. The rest goes to its offensive stats, though I'm sure there's a more optimal spread out there.

It's all about the Synergy

There are different things I've managed to accomplish, these are:
The Bulky Offense Core: Slowbro, Snorlax, and Crobat form the single best core a bulky offensive team can use, and I'm not the only one who thinks that.
A good fast-paced VoltTurn core: I feel Xatu could fit in there somehow, but this is overall a nice core for offensive teams, able to regain momentum in just a couple of turns. Snorlax and Slowbro just add up to that, since they're good hard-hitters.
A near-perfect answer to Scarf Heracross: We all know how important it is to have an answer to Scarf Heracross. Well, this is one that can last for most of the game, mostly due to Gothitelle being banned lol. Since Slowbro is the one with the biggest defensive investment, it's usually my go-to switch-in. However, it's weak to Megahorn, which Crobat and Nidoqueen resist. Additionally, Nidoqueen resists Stone Edge, which is the only move that can get past Crobat. When I'm not sure what's Heracross gonna do, I usually go to Slowbro anyway, since Regenerator allows it to be healthy enough most of the times to survive a Megahorn.

Answers to this team:
Early to midgame, if I'm in control of the match it'll be ok. However, notable weaknesses this team has are NP Mew, which I play around by Crunching it with Snorlax while I tank the first hit, and then go to Slowbro on the second move to let LO recoil take its toll. If it's a Leftovers variant, I'll have to sac a Pokemon in order to take it out, which isn't the best thing to do; SubSD Bisharp is extremely threatening to this team, especially if I can't manage to break its sub. However, I can Taunt it with Crobat and either go to Heracross or Rotom-H, depending on if it used Substitute or Swords Dance on the first move. It's hard to pull off, but notably effective. Another option is going straight to Slowbro with Crobat and use two Fire Blasts, but it's not as safe. Once it's burnt by Flame Orb, it won't be able to do anything to my team; Sharpedo is probably the single worst wrecking ball this team has to face. If Crobat is healthy enough, it will survive anything it throws at it and KO it with U-turn. For other situations, I'll have to revenge kill it with either Heracross or Snorlax, depending on which one is healthy enough. Late-game this thing sweeps – then again, many things do; then there's OTR Cofagrigus, which is the single reason why I run Crunch on Snorlax. If it comes in late-game or on the predicted CC/Body Slam, I'll have a ton of trouble beating it. I have to be very careful with that, which is why I try not to lock Heracross midgame. Thankfully, Nidoqueen takes even a +2 Shadow Ball after switching into SR and KO it back, or force it to waste TR turns by switching back out. Then and only then, Snorlax 2HKOes it with Crunch; LO Nidoking with Sludge Wave is a tough one, since it can't be weakened by switching a lot. Snorlax can take two hits of anything except Focus Blast and KO with Earthquake, while Rotom-H can take any move except for Sludge Wave and KO with Overheat. However, it relies on prediction. Luckily, nobody uses both Focus Blast and Sludge Wave on Nidoking, especially after it received SR from the Move Tutors; the uncommon Mixed Relic Meloetta surely is a pain, especially if Relic Song puts something to sleep; and finally, we have the threat any team should be prepared for, SubCM Raikou. If Snorlax is in no condition to fight, my only other answer is Nidoqueen. If all else fails, I'll have to sac Crobat to Taunt it and stop it from sweeping me, which is why I try to keep Snorlax healthy when I think the opponent may be running that set.

Conclusion:
This is probably the best team I've ever made, trying to cover as many threats as I could without giving up on offense. It's fun to play with as almost any offensive team, but the lack of a real purpose made me retire it when it should've lived on a lot more.

As they say around here, feel free to rate, hate, steal, and improve this team, just don't break the SlowLaxBat core :D

Slowbro (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 128 SAtk / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Snorlax (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Def / 88 SDef / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Rotom-Heat @ Flame Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Trait: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 168 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SDef / 144 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- U-turn
- Taunt

One last glance:

(Also, if someone could make me a drawing depicting the title of this RMT it would be awesome =D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)