Iwaparesu

Nah, not OU, what with all the Taunt leads running around, but I think it will fit nicely into UU.

I think it also gets Spikes, or you could just use it as a Shell Break sweeper with Team Support.

I was thinking: if this poke goes to UU (i'm also considering today's UU pokes), it could be a terrific lead.

Iwaparesu @ namesomethinggoodhere
EVs:readabove
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Breakable Armor/Sturdy

-X-Scissor
-Stone Edge
-Shell Break
-Stealth Rock/Spikes

Simple: it's a mix of sweeper and set up poke.

Say, Ambipom is the opponent's lead. Chances are that, with Breakable Armor, it would need to switch or else it would just get walled and could probably activate the ability, meaning Iwaparesu can Shell Break to wreak some early havoc, or set up entry hazards.
things like Mesprit or Uxie gets X-Scissor'd.

Sturdy is Sturdy.
You get the picture.

Hmm just looking at this and was thinking of how it could work.

First thing is its best bet is to be a lead 'cos it is one of the few things in Gen 5 that learns Stealth Rocks. Now Ive come up with this set using just theory but havnt manage to get around testing it.

So I was thinking something along these lines

Iwaparesu
Sturdy - Salac Berry - Careful
252 HP - 56 Def - 200 SpDef
Stealth Rock
Shell Break
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
X-Scissor/EarthQuake

Now you may have looked at this and thought WTF is this idiot on.

With these EVs and 31 IVS it would reach a nice bulk before Shell Break.
Sturdy means unless taunted it will definatly get SR down.
If it gets Salac Boost and then shell breaks it will go up to 378 (126 -> 189 -> 378) Speed and 452 Attack

Which if I have done my calculations correct and the theory behind the salac boost is right it will out speed Base 120 Max Non-Boosted (Like Alakazam)

This still probably wont put it in to OU tier but it might be a nice addition to the lower ones.

If I have the mechanics all wrong im sorry and will delete this post =)
Well, I dont see the point in running study and maxing def EVs. It is going to get hammered by priority when Salac activates. It might work late game in UU.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even at +2, this Pokemon is going to have a lot of trouble outspeeding threats, so you're definitely going to want the Armor Break ability. In a perfect world, you're using Shell Break on the turn that your opponent hits you, so the Defense drop is irrelevant... and if it works you come away with +2 Attack and +3 Speed, which is way better for what this little guy needs to actually outspeed some threats.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I personally think something like this could work very effectively as a late-game sweeper.

Iwaparesu @ Salac/Liechi Berry
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Ability: Sturdy
Spread: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
~Shell Break
~Earthquake
~X-Scissor
~Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Needs spin support. Meant for late game when hopefully priority users are gone.
Choose your berry based on what you want, more speed or more power, same with natures.
Without entry hazards, Sturdy guarantees you get off a Shell Break, and if they put you below 25% you get the berry boost.
Simple enough, proceed to sweep from there. Rock Slide over Stone Edge if you are worried about accuracy (if sturdy activates, and you are at 1 HP, you can't really afford a miss).

Physically, its pretty powerful and hits quite hard...unfortunately it's Special bulk isn't particularly good. Shell Break is useful on this just as it is on every single Pokemon which gets it. It can really boost its mediocre speed, and cause some damage!

Isn't it too similar to Armaldo? With the exception of Spikes stuff and Shell Break. (Not saying is worse, just saying it's weirdly similar)

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Isn't it too similar to Armaldo? With the exception of Spikes stuff and Shell Break. (Not saying is worse, just saying it's weirdly similar)
only because they got the same typing?

both serve a very different purpose since one is clearly ment to be a defensive wall and the other one is clearly ment to sweep, but i doubt that both of them are really able to do what they are ment for though Iwaparesu might be an intresting spikes/SR user in the lower tiers.

All variations of Hyper Beam suck and are unusable, do not even mention them.
Dude, he just mentioned it for flavor, not to use it competitively.

Anyway, his defensive typing sucks, which is a shame (basically anything that is part rock sucks. I dread the day where there comes a ice/rock pokemon. He would be HORRIBLE.)

Shell break and curse are both nice. It'd be a shame to waste his nice def with shell break, so I white herb would be good. (It's essentially a +1 def and +2 sp def)

Curse lowers his most useless stat and raises his two best stats, although it just doesn't have the force of shell break.

Might be the cloyster of uu.

OP, he's not going to even touch OU. He's slow, has a horrible typing and doesn't have a niche.

only because they got the same typing?

both serve a very different purpose since one is clearly ment to be a defensive wall and the other one is clearly ment to sweep, but i doubt that both of them are really able to do what they are ment for though Iwaparesu might be an intresting spikes/SR user in the lower tiers.
Oh my bad, I though Armaldo had 125 Defense like this guy in that case their stats would be very similar.

Check 'Em fellas
Iwaparesu@Salac Berry
Sturdy
252atk / 252 spd
- Stealth Rock
- Shell Break
- Rock Blast
- Flail

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
He's seems like a decent. I could see him being used in UU as a lead. Yeah, hard getting ideas for this guy..

Somebody see Knock Down?

It is really good whe Iwaparesu brings support to the rest of the team:
STAB and forces to Floating PKMN being susceptible to EQ until they are switched.

Skarmory can hate this.

Somebody see Knock Down?

It is really good whe Iwaparesu brings support to the rest of the team:
STAB and forces to Floating PKMN being susceptible to EQ until they are switched.

Skarmory can hate this.
Skarmory can Whirlwind it on the turn it gets Knocked Down and switch the turn after, or just switch right away (EQ after Knock Down = obvious).

Would anybody think this poke would be better off as a Bug/Ground type? The strata on its back clearly resembles soil moreso than rock. However, what it would gain in better offensive STABs would be offset by gaining more (and arguably more common) weaknesses. I guess no matter what type Iwap' is it can't really make up its mind about what it wants to be, defensive or offensive.

Anyway, I recently tested a few Shell Smash'ers, and this is the pokemon that impressed me the most. I ran the typical physical sweeper spread (252Atk/ 252Spe) with a Jolly nature and White Herb. That good Def stat was too good to go to waste. Like most other clearly-not-OU pokemon we'll just have to wait 'til the tiers are properly sorted before we can see its full potential. But I was impressed.

Bug/Rock is one of the best defensive combos with Rock.
The Bug typing gets the combo Grass, Fighting and Ground neutralities while Rock nullifies Bug's Fire and Flying weaknesses.
Rock has too many weaknesses (what were they thinking) but you can do a lot worse than Bug/Rock.

breh

強いだね
Bug/Rock is one of the best defensive combos with Rock.
The Bug typing gets the combo Grass, Fighting and Ground neutralities while Rock nullifies Bug's Fire and Flying weaknesses.
Rock has too many weaknesses (what were they thinking) but you can do a lot worse than Bug/Rock.
No, you cannot make a worse defensive poke without making it an ice- or fire-type. Rock is not the worst defensive typing though (see t-tar), especially if backed by bulk.

It has a SR weakness and resistance to a whopping... two types (normal and poison, which are clearly the best attacking types in the game).

Bug/rock is a really shitty typing and the main reason that armaldo sucked.

Bug ground though? far better due to a SR neutrality, 100% acc stab, and actual resistances. such a pity :(

No, you cannot make a worse defensive poke without making it an ice- or fire-type. Rock is not the worst defensive typing though (see t-tar), especially if backed by bulk.

It has a SR weakness and resistance to a whopping... two types (normal and poison, which are clearly the best attacking types in the game).

Bug ground though? far better due to a SR neutrality, 100% acc stab, and actual resistances. such a pity :(
Seems as if you're agreeing with me since you provided two examples worse than Bug/Rock and my claim is Bug/Rock is NOT the worst.
I'd argue Rock/Steel is worse as well despite it's resistances since x4 weaknesses to Ground and Fighting are just debilitating.
The funny thing is that Bug/Ground actually has more weaknesses (Fire/Water/Ice/Fly) than Bug/Rock (Rock/Water/Steel) although it gets a few nicer resistances.

Anyway, my original post was about combos with Rock so Bug/Ground didn't even enter the equation
Rock has a whopping five weaknesses, as much as Grass and more than Fire or Ice!
So I maintain that *one* of the best things that can happen to Rock is a Bug secondary typing.

Dude, he just mentioned it for flavor, not to use it competitively.

Anyway, his defensive typing sucks, which is a shame (basically anything that is part rock sucks. I dread the day where there comes a ice/rock pokemon. He would be HORRIBLE.)
Cradily actually has very good typing for being a mix of two of the worst defensive types in the game.

But yes, if that ever existed... 4x weak to Bullet Punch/Vacuum Wave/Mach Punch would be sad. And you know they'd give it 160 Def or something, just to spite us.

Hey guys? If you did Shell Break, got hit by a move and survived with Sturdy, and then ate a Salac berry, what kind of speed would we be looking at? Would it be able to outspeed things or.... not a chance?

Yeah I know something clinging to 1 health is a terrible idea...not to mention entry hazards...but if you eliminated all the priority users on the opponent's team, and spun away the hazards, it MIGHT stand a chance and be able to dish out some pain. I might test this lil idea out on PO.... ^_^'

Bug/Rock is absolutely fine. The two types cancel each others weaknesses out greatly, and 3 2x weaknesses is extremely common. It's resistances suck, but you just have to deal. On the offensive side, Bug/ Rock not only gets neutral coverage with Ground, but hits a lot of things for SE damage. People need to quit acting as if its the worst typing ever.

And Armaldo sucked because it was slow and Scizor got Bullet Punch.

Anyway, I've been itching to get using this thing again, but with all those Scizors running around, it won't have its chance to shine. The great thing is that its abilities work excellently in tadem with Shell Smash. Sturdy/ Salac is a good combo, but Broken Armor could really be the best option.

Could someone tell me how this works, because if it works the way I think it does it would be amazing: White Herb/ Broken Armor.

You bring in your Iwap' and proceed to Shell Smash, opponent attacks (because Iwap is clearly not forcing anything out), activates Broken Armor, White Herb restores stat drops at end of turn, Iwaparesu has +2/ +2/ +3 without any drawbacks.

EDIT:
Hey guys? If you did Shell Break, got hit by a move and survived with Sturdy, and then ate a Salac berry, what kind of speed would we be looking at? Would it be able to outspeed things or.... not a chance?
If you get a SS in and then Salac activates you're looking at 621 Max+ Spe, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)