ORAS NU It Came from Beneath the Lake!

I don't really mess around with the lower tiers such as NU or PU, but I decided that I wanted to give it a try, and I believe I came up with a very good team here. Of course, tweaks and improvements can be made, so feedback is appreciated.

Lake Placid (Feraligatr) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Feraligatr is the main threat of the team, reaching very dangerous speed and power thanks to its access to Dragon Dance. Waterfall is the STAB move of choice here, doing a lot of damage to anything that isn't resisted, especially after a D-Dance is set up. Earthquake provides decent coverage against Steel types, and any Rock types that are packing the Rocky Helmet. Ice Punch provides coverage against Ground and Flying types, hitting decently hard once a D-Dance set up. Adamant Nature has been chosen over Jolly since I'll be increasing Gatr's speed anyway. Life Orb provides an extra kick to all of its attacks, making Feraligatr a serious threat to be reckoned with.

Autumn (Leafeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Feraligatr has two massive threats in Electric and Grass types, and ironically enough, the best type that resists both of these is also Grass type. After looking around for Grass types to be a partner for Gatr, Leafeon was chosen as a Physically Defensive Cleric. The EV spread makes Leafeon a surprisingly powerful defensive juggernaut. Leaf Blade is great at hitting Rock, Ground and Water types, while also providing STAB. X-Scissor completely destroys threats like Malamar, and other Dark and Psychic types. Heal Bell makes Leafeon a powerful Cleric, getting rid of any statuses that other walls try to put onto Lefeon. Finally, Toxic provides ways of getting residual damage onto other Pokemon, and helps to take out opposing walls.

Nala (Pyroar) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pyroar is a powerful Special Sweeper that, when paired with a Life Orb, becomes a huge threat. Hyper Voice and Fire Blast are two very powerful STAB moves that creates a very unique STAB combination. Dark Pulse provides coverage against Ghost types, which can't even touch Pyroar with their STAB. Hidden Power Grass is an incredibly powerful coverage move against threats like Seismitoad, and other Ground and Water types.

Mystic (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Zen Headbutt

Uxie provides my team with a Specially Defensive Support Pokemon that is capable of setting up Stealth Rocks for residual damage, as well as set up Thunder Waves to cripple fast threats like Sneasel. Knock Off is useful to get rid of Eviolites and Leftovers, hindering many walls in the tier. Zen Headbutt is STAB, providing some coverage against Fighting Type threats. Not really much else to say about this set here to be honest.

Salem (Mismagius) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond
- Energy Ball

Mismagius is very versatile as a Pokemon. Running Nasty Plot, Specs, and even a powerful Choice Scarfer. Mismagius can out speed so many threats and hit hard with its naturally high Special Attack. Shadow Ball is the STAB of choice, hitting Ghost and Psychic types hard. Dazzling Gleam provides coverage against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting types. Energy Ball hits Ground and Water types, while lastly, Destiny Bond. This is a last resort move for when Mismagius is almost dead, or for a threat I know I can't take down.

Christmas (Cryogonal) @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam

I believe this is a unique Cryogonal set. Most Cryogonal are, I've found, Specially defensive Rapid Spinners that provide support. However, this is an offensive spinning set with Assault Vest, making its already impressive Special Defensive even more powerful. Freeze-Dry is an amazing move for Ice types to have, hitting Water types as well as all the other types Ice normally hits. Hidden Power Fire allows Cryogonal to hit opposing Ice types, and Signal Beam is honestly just a filler move, as I really don't have any other moves that really fit.

Hi. Your team structure looks quite strong however I would like you to take into consideration a couple of adjustments which will vastely improve this teams sustainability.

First Change: it appears your team has 0 priority, I would reccomend changing Feraligtar from your DD set to an SD set
Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Ice Punch/ Frustration
-Waterfall

2nd change: I would swap Leafeon for a Sp Def Roselia, this will allow you to better deal with the afformentioned Grass/Electric mons as well as the hazard stacking style you already have.
Roselia @Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Spikes
-Synthesis

3rd Change: Swap Dark Pulse for Will-o-Wisp on Pyroar, allows you to cripple the common Hariyama switch in. Helps you deal with it and allow pyroar to be more threatening.

4th change: U-Turn over Knock Off on Uxie, gives you momentum into one of your sweepers + a way to get momentum on the xatu switch and keep offensive pressure.

5th and Final Change: As much as how you are proud of your AV Cryogonal, it's really not a good set. This is because you sacrifice Recover for a tiny amount of SpDef relatively. And overall, this decreases longevity of your own Hazard Control. I would reccomend changing it to an offensive life orb set to achieve the offensive power you are craving yet not sacrificing the crucial Recover move which makes cryogonal the rapid spinner as we know it
Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Freeze Dry
-Ice Beam

I do feel that with these changes, your team does become much more menacing as it adds the Hazard Control Element in. Thus enabling Pyroar and Gatr to get through the opponents team much more easier when it comes down in the late game.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi HeartlessAngel1993 ! Sorry on how long its taken to get this rate out, tier has shifted a lot and christmas and holidays and I had most of it written up just forgot to finish it up :/.

Anyways onto the rate! (gonna try out a Goddess Briyella style rate on this one) Looking at your team I can see that it has pretty decent type synergy and there really isn't to much that directly threatens your team as far as types go; however, you are running some sub optimal sets and items.

First off is Feraligatr, now having tested DD Feraligatr pretty extensively it is just a huge let down compared to the SD set. It struggles to beat the physical walls that SD Feraligatr can because of having no bulk and the limited power it has while not getting as many opportunities to setup. The main draw of the DD set is the fact that you're actually outpacing certain things, but you fail to outpace relevant scarfers like rotom and even faster base 140 Pokemon. So I'm agreeing with the suggested change by HJAD of going to a SD Feraligatr > DD Feraligatr. I'm personally a fan of a bulkier version so I'll provide an alternate spread to HJADs.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb --> Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe --> 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance --> Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake --> Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Next up is Leafeon, now while defensive Leafeon can be good on certain teams it really doesn't fit your team to well. So looking for a similar defensive Grass-type I'm going to suggest running Vileplume > Leafeon as this still provides you the resistances you wanted with Leafeon while providing you with a more reliable counter to Fighting-types as Uxie gets worn down fairly quickly with repeated Knock Offs. Moonblast is for Rest Talk Malamar which can give people some trouble, while alternatively you can run HP Fire or Sleep Powder for Utility

->

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonblast / Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

So looking at your Pyroar set it looks fine except for the fact that Dark Pulse is quite useless. On the surface it looks like it would be good coverage, but in practice you are better off running something like Will-O-Wisp > Dark Pulse on Pyroar for the utility of crippling something.

So your spread and utility moves are fine here, but like HJAD said above U-turn is very very good for brining in things safely and gaining momentum after you've set up rocks and paralyzed switch ins. Psychic is also preferred over Zen Headbutt as you can get drops and have an 100% accurate move which helps when you get in stall wars with your opponents walls.

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD --> 4 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off --> U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Zen Headbutt --> Psychic

Mismagius is up next and its more a changing of item, when using Mismagius it tends to be really weak before a Nasty Plot boost. Removing the scarf and running a Nasty Plot set allows you to have a special sweeper while also allowing Mismagius to pack a punch. Running Rotom > Mismagius for a scarfed Pokemon is a much better choice as Rotom still provides the spin blocking function but can also provide momentum with Volt Switching and Trick or Will-O-Wisp. However, I think you can get away with not having a scarfed Pokemon on this team because of how fast you are. If you wanna keep Mismagius on your team change it to the suggested Nasty Plot Set down below.

->

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Trick

OR

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf --> Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond
- Energy Ball --> Nasty Plot

Props on trying to create a unique set, but please do not throw Assault Vest on random Pokemon. When looking for a Pokemon to put an Assault Vest on you should see if they should be running a support move, Cryogonal has a pretty big support move that it needs called Recover. Recover is pretty much mandatory on Cryogonal, as it ensures you can come in multiple times to spin away rocks without getting worn down and allows you to check specially based Pokemon through out a match. You can run offensive spin support Cryogonal which is the standard set and still maintain offensive presence while fulfilling his job of spinning.

Cryogonal @ Assault Vest --> Never-Melt Ice / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam --> Recover

Anyways, sorry for the late rate had most of it written just never gotten around to finishing it up and I hope this helped ^.^

Last edited:
Hi HeartlessAngel1993 ! Sorry on how long its taken to get this rate out, tier has shifted a lot and christmas and holidays and I had most of it written up just forgot to finish it up :/.

Anyways onto the rate! (gonna try out a Goddess Briyella style rate on this one) Looking at your team I can see that it has pretty decent type synergy and there really isn't to much that directly threatens your team as far as types go; however, you are running some sub optimal sets and items.

First off is Feraligatr, now having tested DD Feraligatr pretty extensively it is just a huge let down compared to the SD set. It struggles to beat the physical walls that SD Feraligatr can because of having no bulk and the limited power it has while not getting as many opportunities to setup. The main draw of the DD set is the fact that you're actually outpacing certain things, but you fail to outpace relevant scarfers like rotom and even faster base 140 Pokemon. So I'm agreeing with the suggested change by HJAD of going to a SD Feraligatr > DD Feraligatr. I'm personally a fan of a bulkier version so I'll provide an alternate spread to HJADs.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb --> Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe --> 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance --> Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake --> Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch

Next up is Leafeon, now while defensive Leafeon can be good on certain teams it really doesn't fit your team to well. So looking for a similar defensive Grass-type I'm going to suggest running Vileplume > Leafeon as this still provides you the resistances you wanted with Leafeon while providing you with a more reliable counter to Fighting-types as Uxie gets worn down fairly quickly with repeated Knock Offs. Moonblast is for Rest Talk Malamar which can give people some trouble, while alternatively you can run HP Fire or Sleep Powder for Utility

->

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonblast / Hidden Power [Fire] / Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

So looking at your Pyroar set it looks fine except for the fact that Dark Pulse is quite useless. On the surface it looks like it would be good coverage, but in practice you are better off running something like Will-O-Wisp > Dark Pulse on Pyroar for the utility of crippling something.

So your spread and utility moves are fine here, but like HJAD said above U-turn is very very good for brining in things safely and gaining momentum after you've set up rocks and paralyzed switch ins. Psychic is also preferred over Zen Headbutt as you can get drops and have an 100% accurate move which helps when you get in stall wars with your opponents walls.

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD --> 4 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off --> U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Zen Headbutt --> Psychic

Mismagius is up next and its more a changing of item, when using Mismagius it tends to be really weak before a Nasty Plot boost. Removing the scarf and running a Nasty Plot set allows you to have a special sweeper while also allowing Mismagius to pack a punch. Running Rotom > Mismagius for a scarfed Pokemon is a much better choice as Rotom still provides the spin blocking function but can also provide momentum with Volt Switching and Trick or Will-O-Wisp. However, I think you can get away with not having a scarfed Pokemon on this team because of how fast you are. If you wanna keep Mismagius on your team change it to the suggested Nasty Plot Set down below.

->

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunderbolt
- Trick

OR

Mismagius @ Choice Scarf --> Colbur Berry / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond
- Energy Ball --> Nasty Plot

Props on trying to create a unique set, but please do not throw Assault Vest on random Pokemon. When looking for a Pokemon to put an Assault Vest on you should see if they should be running a support move, Cryogonal has a pretty big support move that it needs called Recover. Recover is pretty much mandatory on Cryogonal, as it ensures you can come in multiple times to spin away rocks without getting worn down and allows you to check specially based Pokemon through out a match. You can run offensive spin support Cryogonal which is the standard set and still maintain offensive presence while fulfilling his job of spinning.

Cryogonal @ Assault Vest --> Never-Melt Ice / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam --> Recover

Anyways, sorry for the late rate had most of it written just never gotten around to finishing it up and I hope this helped ^.^

Thanks for the reply! I'd actually given up on this team, but these changes are really good. However, I did notice that the team lacks much physical presence. Sure, Feraligatr is incredibly powerful, but if it falls, I literally have nothing else to take on Special Walls and such.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the reply! I'd actually given up on this team, but these changes are really good. However, I did notice that the team lacks much physical presence. Sure, Feraligatr is incredibly powerful, but if it falls, I literally have nothing else to take on Special Walls and such.
What you can do is run Taunt over Destiny Bond on Mismagius, this allows you to weaken and even beat special walls that rely on recovery and potentially sweep with either Mismagius or another specially based Pokmon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)